F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > Regional Forums > UK > Clutch judder
Extreme Powerhouse

03-12-2020, 11:10 AM   #23
Fez_7
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW F30

Yeah I noticed mine do the same over winter but have got used to it, think it's normal to be fair and I don't even think about it. You might just be noticing it more due to the temperature and it obviously being a new car, I would try not to worry and just focus on enjoying the car overall.

If you haven't already considered it I would recommend a remap to help you enjoy it even more.

Also welcome on this forum, I know you've also come from babyBMW like me!
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2020, 01:13 PM   #24
kierownik
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2016 BMW 320i Sport Black

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fez_7 View Post
Yeah I noticed mine do the same over winter but have got used to it, think it's normal to be fair and I don't even think about it. You might just be noticing it more due to the temperature and it obviously being a new car, I would try not to worry and just focus on enjoying the car overall.

If you haven't already considered it I would recommend a remap to help you enjoy it even more.

Also welcome on this forum, I know you've also come from babyBMW like me!
Yeah, thanks. I came form babybmw too.

I find it hard to believe that this is normal but a lot of people have been saying that. So even tho it's annoying as hell there must a some truth in it.

I do enjoy the car tho and might get it remapped in future. For now I'm happy with what it does and how it drives. Jumping from 116d was a massive improvement anyway.
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2020, 07:05 PM   #25
Hooded
Banned
England
Rep
Drives: F30 330d M-Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by kierownik View Post
Yeah, thanks. I came form babybmw too.

I find it hard to believe that this is normal but a lot of people have been saying that. So even tho it's annoying as hell there must a some truth in it.

I do enjoy the car tho and might get it remapped in future. For now I'm happy with what it does and how it drives. Jumping from 116d was a massive improvement anyway.
Both manual E90’s I owned had slight clutch judder occasionally. Usually either initially after starting off in the cold or the next time I used the car after it had had a good thrashing
It never got any worse though on either car during the time I owned them, ..I think it’s just a common feature of manual BMW’s.
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2020, 03:30 AM   #26
kierownik
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hooded View Post
Both manual E90’s I owned had slight clutch judder occasionally. Usually either initially after starting off in the cold or the next time I used the car after it had had a good thrashing
It never got any worse though on either car during the time I owned them, ..I think it’s just a common feature of manual BMW’s.
I drove many different manual cars in my life and never came across such issue until I got my first bmw f20.
It does in fact seem like it's not a fault but one of the features

Last edited by kierownik; 03-13-2020 at 08:28 AM..
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2020, 12:45 PM   #27
MH94
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW F30

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddamoo View Post
My Z4 used to have judder when cold. BMW fit a "clutch delay valve" to them to prevent the drive-train shock (i presume). After removing the valve it was night and day better. I would suggest looking into removing it.

Mr's has a F20 1-Series manual and is just the same. Virtually impossible to set off and do a 1-2 shift without judder and bouncing.
Yeah I read about the CDV but apparently on newer bmw's like mine it isn't an easy diy job at all. Plus I don't have tools for such job.
I removed that and still no luck I tried literally everything apart from changing the clutch as it was just to much money to spend, I loved the car but couldn't deal with it, I also didn't experience anything like this with previous manual cars until I bought a manual BMW hope that you have some luck either working around it or getting it fixed completely, I bought my car used so didn't take quite as big of price increase as buying a brand new auto.
It's a shame because I loved a manual but now I won't have another through fear of getting one that judders.

Matt.
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2020, 01:12 PM   #28
kierownik
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MH94 View Post
I removed that and still no luck I tried literally everything apart from changing the clutch as it was just to much money to spend, I loved the car but couldn't deal with it, I also didn't experience anything like this with previous manual cars until I bought a manual BMW hope that you have some luck either working around it or getting it fixed completely, I bought my car used so didn't take quite as big of price increase as buying a brand new auto.
It's a shame because I loved a manual but now I won't have another through fear of getting one that judders.

Matt.
Yeah I'll be trying to get it fixed while the car is still under the warranty.
The trouble is that it doesn't judder when car is warmed up and doesn't always judder in the morning. It's very intermittent and inconsistent. So getting it diagnosed is a bit of a pain.
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2020, 01:04 PM   #29
kierownik
First Lieutenant
Rep

I just recorded this now and could someone tell me if this clatter that can be heard when starting and stopping the engine is the sign of a failing dmf?

I was driving the car today and as usual while it was cold it juddered a bit, then when warmed up it was all fine.
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2020, 01:16 PM   #30
kierownik
First Lieutenant
Rep

I read the fault codes today and it there were two codes but non of them related to clutch.
12B302 - Oxygen sensor after catalytic converter, heating, activation: Short circuit to ground.
CD0487 - ZGM: Synchronisation process for FlexRay failed.

Both codes had NO under Existent section. I cleared the codes, took the car for a ride and they didn't return.

As for the clutch, zero judder today at all. Somehow, don't know how. It's a bit worrying because the car is supposed to be going in on monday for diagnostics. So I hope the judder will return by then.
However what I also noticed is that the gearstick is shaking quite a bit when idling and starts shaking even more when I press the clutch.
The clatter when engine is stopping is also still there.
Appreciate 0
      11-22-2020, 05:43 AM   #31
lynch66
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW f31 316d LCI 6MT

Quote:
I read the fault codes today and it there were two codes but non of them related to clutch.
12B302 - Oxygen sensor after catalytic converter, heating, activation: Short circuit to ground.
CD0487 - ZGM: Synchronisation process for FlexRay failed.

Both codes had NO under Existent section. I cleared the codes, took the car for a ride and they didn't return.

As for the clutch, zero judder today at all. Somehow, don't know how. It's a bit worrying because the car is supposed to be going in on monday for diagnostics. So I hope the judder will return by then.
However what I also noticed is that the gearstick is shaking quite a bit when idling and starts shaking even more when I press the clutch.
The clatter when engine is stopping is also still there.

I have 316d f31 2017 with manual transmission. When I start in first gear from a standpoint the car vibrates/judders as I release the clutch and the lever is almost at the top. I tried to locate the vibrations and you feel it at most on the passenger seat on the floor. This happens sometimes not every time I use the car and it doesnt matter the car is cold or hot. I really don't know what is the issue. Can You please tell me did you resolve the issue?
Appreciate 0
      11-25-2020, 12:13 AM   #32
B58 parts
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: '17 340ix 6MT

I've been getting it a little more than i'd like recently. Revs have to be up, above 2k. Some days I can't drive.

Try getting the revs a little higher when you start off. Feather it out and back in.
Appreciate 0