F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > Regional Forums > UK > 6000 miles in 6 weeks in my G20 330e... it's much better than the F30!
Extreme Powerhouse

12-28-2019, 05:16 AM   #1
Tengocity
General
Scotland
Rep
Drives: 911, Cayenne Turbo, Disco 4

6000 miles in 6 weeks in my G20 330e... it's much better than the F30!

I posted this on the G20 UK board, but then realised I'm probably preaching to the converted there, and maybe more useful here (if only to inspire a bit of debate if nothing else!)....

I got my new 330e in the middle of November and between usual daily usage, a trip top Scotland, and a Christmas trip to Poland, I've now racked up 6000 miles already. Thankfully it's a company car!

Its a 330e Portimau blue with Oyster interior, M Sport plus pack, Premium pack, Tech pack and few other bits a bits and bobs

Having had such intense usage already it now feels like a second home, and the more time I spend with it the more it impresses me. Not just me, but also Mrs Tengocity, as we are both unequivocal that it's a quite superb vehicle.

We've had umpteen 3 series over the years now, always finding them to be the ideal car- just interesting enough to drive yet so good for daily usage, just big enough without being too big for British roads and car parks, and always up to date with good technology, and good performance allied to reasonable running costs. The G20 is keeping up this tradition and then some.

As a company user the 330e is attractive for BIK tax reasons, but in comparison to the F30 330e it's so much more than that alone which makes this car so appealing.

During an average week, where I commute 3 days a week on a 140 mile round trip I now average high 60's mpg despite using the performance where possible. But even over 2000 miles with no charging en-route this last week we have averaged 35 mpg. That might not sound all that good, but that's with many hours sat on the autobahn doing 100+mph, and matches what the same journey done in my F31 335d would achieve (E90 330d manual was best I ever had at high 30s).

So average for the car over those 6000 miles is 45mpg despite 3000 miles being long motorway journeys. Yes, I am sure a 320d might be doing better over that journey profile, but it wouldn't be nearly as good to drive!

The reason for that is that the latest generation of hybrid technology has really moved the game on, and in a number of ways. Firstly, it's really smooth in use and the way the electric or engine comes in is seamless. The old 330e wasn't bad, but you could tell exactly when the engine came in, and the gearchanges were noticeably slower when driving in a spirtied fashion. The G20 one is now like the ZF8 in everything else - imperceptible most of the time. They also seem to use the blend of powertrains better, so that you not only get that electric throttle response all the time, but also a meaty mid range (still not quite 6 pot diesel like though) that is beautifully linear, and some top end surge that makes it still worthwhile to extend the revs (especially on the autobahn). The throttle response is perfect, and driving a diesel afterwards makes you realise just how poor diesels are for this.

Then there is the overall smoothness and refinement of the drivetrain and the car as a whole. You can't hear the engine at low speed, only with higher revs. It's not a beautiful sound by any means (it is still a 4 pot), but more pleasant than a 4 pot diesel by a long way.
Overall the improvement in refinement over the F30 is huge. Wind and road noise are both much reduced, which then added to the suspension characteristics made for a 900 mile journey that was remarkably relaxing.

The suspension, which has forever been an issue for many folk on the F30 cars, is absolutely brilliant. I think the 330e may run SE suspension, as it was comfier than the G31 330d MSport that we test drove recently, however it's as close to perfection as far as I can recall in any 3 series I have had. That is indeed a lofty claim I know.

Many will know from my posting over the years that my F31 was heavily modified to try and get it to handle how I wanted, which is sportily, but not uncomfortable. I did anti-roll bars, I did springs, then coilovers, and ditched the runflats. It all helped massively, and I enjoyed the process along the way, but it shouldn't be something that one needs to do to get an every day family car to handle well (well, not amazingly).

It's not something that I would even remotely consider for this car, even if it wasn't a company car. It's the best riding BMW I've ever had, including the 5 series I had for a while. It reminds me of my Dad's old E39 5 series actually- just feels so well damped, everything so smoothly controlled, never harsh at all, smoothing out all the hideous holes and bumps we have. And that's on runflats - the first time I've had them and not immediately wanted to get rid of them.

And yet despite that, it really handles. It makes me want to drive it down an A road like my old E46 cars- it's properly fun! Turn in is great, it holds it line, but feels throttle adjustable too. Not lairy or anything, just has that response to throttle inputs that allows you to really feel like you're properly driving. It doesn't roll or wallow, just feels in control and responsive, yet somehow still absorbant of our shitty road surface. The only reason I can think of to change the suspension is to lower it and get rid of the silly arch gaps, though for me I don't think I'd bother. I also have adaptive and it doesn't need to be put in sport damping mode to handle either (unlike a F30). The comfort and sport settings are well judged and when you're in the mood for the full sports setting then it feels very different, but still well judged (so I haven't felt the need to individualise settings)

On the autobahn it made for a lovely car to drive and it felt very happy and stable up to the 140mph I saw on the speedo a few times. Even Mrs Tengocity was happy driving it fast, and hit 200kph a few times, which she had never done before in any of our cars.

And then there is the actual performance of the car. 0-60 is around 6 seconds or so, which is pretty decent, and more than plenty for daily driver usage for me. What surprised me over the last week was just how good the performance is at higher speeds though. Lots of cars can go quite fast to 60mph, but for fast cruising it's the ability to go 70-100mph that you really want, and where a 6 pot diesel excels. It isn't quite a 330/335d in that regard, but pretty blood close. In actual performance terms it's probably there or thereabouts, but you've got to work the engine that bit harder in comparison. The battery has always got enough charge to provide a boost when you need it, so it never feels like you're driving just a 320i with a heavy battery. If you run it in sports mode then it is like a scalded cat, and also maintains a good battery level so that performance is always available.

Then there is the tech. My car has lots of the packs including driver assistance professional, giving the semi-autonomous driving. Have to say, it works so much better than I expected, and is ideal for the clogged motorways of Britain. If you run in just adaptive cruise mode then you will see how much better it is than previous versions. It has a lot more cameras and sensors and so is much more aware of the traffic surrounding it (to side and behind as well as in front), and therefore drives in a more natural way when, for example, someone pulls in to the gap in front of you. The F30 version will slam on the brakes, but this one will just lift and brake smoothly, much more naturally like how a human driver would.
There are lots of other safety features too, all of which you turn off or adjust the sensitivity of. Some are actually quite useful though. I was manoeuvring in a small underground car park and was having to perform a 19 point (I kid you not) tun to be able to get out, and if I got too close to the car or wall at either end it would actually hit the brakes if I got too close (perfectly judged it was too!).

I know the digital dash has come in for mixed reviews, and I was massively sceptical beforehand I must admit. It only took a day and I was completely convinced on it. I absolutely love it now. I find it so useful, and very clever in how it presents information. The new HUD is huge and so clear, the sat nav being so clear and easy to use and follow. the choice of idrive, touchscreen, voice activation means it's so easy for anyone to get to grips with how to use everything. For a car with so much complexity and potential utility within it's systems it is truly remarkable how accessible it all is.

Downsides? The boot is small due to the fuel tank (batteries are now below the rear seat to aid weight balance), and also the fuel tank is only 40 litres, so on our long drive we were having to fill up every 250-300 miles.

I can live with the range given the upsides, but I can see the boot being an issue for folk. The estate version is out in a few months and the extra height available will be a big help.

What a truly brilliant car it is though.
Current: Porsche 911 991 C4S, Porsche Cayenne Turbo, Land Rover Discovery 4. Gone...G01 X3 M40i, Cayman S 987, F31 340i, Cayman GT4, F82 M4 CP, Lotus Exige V6, G20 330e, F30 330e, Boxster S 987, F31 335d, Mini Cooper SD, E89 Z4, E90 330d 320d, E60 520d, E46 330d 320d, MX5s, E30 325i
Appreciate 9
      12-28-2019, 05:20 AM   #2
SteveChester
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F82 M4

Garage List
2014 BMW F82 M4  [0.00]
Good write up and review.

When are you going to start modding it?

Appreciate 0
      12-28-2019, 05:27 AM   #3
Tengocity
General
Scotland
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveChester View Post
Good write up and review.

When are you going to start modding it?

I had thought about a tuning box, but it doesn't need it. It's much quicker than my old one and I don't the hassle given it's a company lease.

I caught up with Lorcan at AC Schnitzer a couple of weeks ago and I said that he won't be selling as many spring kits for the G20 too. Doesn't need them for handling, only for looks.

My wife loves the car, and we may actually replace her C250d with an estate one in the summer, and I honestly wouldn't modify anything. I'd add more extras though - laser lights, tow bar for bikes...

Actually, might be tempted with some M Performance body kits stuff, but would rather do more mods to my M4.
Current: Porsche 911 991 C4S, Porsche Cayenne Turbo, Land Rover Discovery 4. Gone...G01 X3 M40i, Cayman S 987, F31 340i, Cayman GT4, F82 M4 CP, Lotus Exige V6, G20 330e, F30 330e, Boxster S 987, F31 335d, Mini Cooper SD, E89 Z4, E90 330d 320d, E60 520d, E46 330d 320d, MX5s, E30 325i
Appreciate 0
      12-28-2019, 05:47 AM   #4
HighlandPete
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: BMW F11 535i Touring

A very balanced and positive review Terry, pleased it is so rewarding.

Does appear the 330e is genuinely earning its title as the 'sweet spot' in the range, for real world driving.

I'll definitely be trying the 330e Touring, before I make any change.
Appreciate 0
      12-28-2019, 06:23 AM   #5
MashinBenzin
Major General
Rep
Drives: Eiger D5

Great review, sounds like a truly excellent machine. PHEVs are a fantastic concept I think.

Drives - 2020 LR Discovery HSE-L
Previous - 2019 LR Discovery HSE-L // 2016 F36 440i // 2009 E90 320D SE
Appreciate 0
      12-28-2019, 06:34 AM   #6
Tengocity
General
Scotland
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighlandPete View Post
A very balanced and positive review Terry, pleased it is so rewarding.

Does appear the 330e is genuinely earning its title as the 'sweet spot' in the range, for real world driving.

I'll definitely be trying the 330e Touring, before I make any change.
For me it absolutely is the sweet spot. These recent trips have shown me that the economy even with considerable longer motorway trips is still very good, and that unless that is your only type of journey then the economy gained elsewhere will more than make up for it. For a user with a more typical shorter commute, and with family not in other countries then real world economy in the 60-80mpg range is very realistic. All the while enjoying the lovely way the car drives. It's that seamless blend of the drivetrains, and the much improved energy recuperation which has been as important to the gains as well as the pure battery range increase. So it's considerably quicker, and more efficient, and also super smooth.

And I haven't even talked about how nice having a beautifully pre-warmed car is on winter mornings!
Appreciate 0
      12-28-2019, 06:40 AM   #7
Tengocity
General
Scotland
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MashinBenzin View Post
PHEVs are a fantastic concept I think.
Yes they absolutely are. There are some compromises, and I do get that there are arguments for them being a stop gap only and not as good as either pure BEV or pure ICE.

But in the real world, where we have these long drives to make, a BEV, even a Tesla with supercharger access is not a realistic solution for me. We filled up every 250-300 miles on our drive this week, but that took a few minutes... a Tesla would have needed at least the same frequency (more I'd guess if trying to cruise at 100+), but would have taken 45 minutes each time... that's never going to work over long journeys. But as a second car in a household they make a lot of sense. One car to cover a lot of bases... a well resolved PhEV is coming in to it's own now, and will only get better.
Appreciate 1
      12-28-2019, 08:08 AM   #8
pmgreenwood
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F31 320D se auto sold, Macan S

Great review. A pity they announced the Touring after I had become committed to 25 mpg Macan. Have you a feel for what new 330e does mpg wise say cruising around 70 mph?
Appreciate 0
      12-28-2019, 08:16 AM   #9
Tengocity
General
Scotland
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by pmgreenwood View Post
Great review. A pity they announced the Touring after I had become committed to 25 mpg Macan. Have you a feel for what new 330e does mpg wise say cruising around 70 mph?

All comes down to the length of the journey and whether you charge the car or not. Steady cruise at 70mpg with no charge in the battery would be around low 40's mpg. If it was a single journey of say 50 miles where you had charged the battery then could be 70mpg.

One of our tanks of fuel yesterday was from Germany (Dortmund area) with busy traffic, and mostly 120kph sections, through to Belgium, again with similar speed limits, and obviously no additional charging... 42mpg for that tank.

I use it for work, which is 15 miles A road cross country, then M40 and M25 for 50 miles, then some urban miles... 65-68mpg.

We will use it this week for local journeys- shopping, cinema, gym, garden centre... we will use no fuel whatsoever!
Appreciate 0
      12-28-2019, 08:40 AM   #10
Jwe001
Jwe001
Netherlands
Rep
Drives: G20 330i, f30 330e

Hi Tengocity
Thanks for your excellent and enthusiastic 330e review. I just traded in my 2016 f30 330e for the new g20 330e. I will get it next week and can hardly wait. My other car is the g20 330i stage 1 (appr 295hp) which is also excellent. What I particularly love is the size of the car being almost identical to my first e39 528i 20 years ago. Man, i loved that car, but the 5 series got bigger and bigger and at last i ended up in an audi a4 Quattro 3.0tdi. The f30 brought me back to bmw.
One remark - i noticed you consider laser lights - please test it before ordering - although they look beautifully on the car, i notice there are no real practical benefits compared to the adjustable led lights, these are excellent already
Cheers Jan, Netherlands
Appreciate 0
      12-28-2019, 08:46 AM   #11
Tengocity
General
Scotland
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jwe001 View Post
Hi Tengocity
Thanks for your excellent and enthusiastic 330e review. I just traded in my 2016 f30 330e for the new g2p 330e. I will get it next week and can hardly wait. My other car is the g20 330i stage 1 (appr 295hp) which is also excellent. What I particularly love is the size of the car being almost identical to my first e39 528i 20 years ago. Man, i loved that car, but the 5 series got bigger and bigger and at last i ended up in an audi a4 Quattro 3.0tdi. The f30 brought me back to bmw.
One remark - i noticed you consider laser lights - please test it before ordering - although they look beautifully on the car, i think there are no real practical benefits compared to the adjustable led lights, these are excellent already
Cheers Jan, Netherlands
Thanks Jan. In the UK you cannot order the High Beam assist unless you order laser lights as part of the Visibility package. I know that elsewhere in Europe you can order the High Beam Assist with the Adaptive LEDs, so this is a BMW UK decision. I agree however that the standard adaptive LED lights are fantastic. Best "standard lights" I've ever had, and have to say that I've not missed the High Beam assist as much as I would have expected.

However, I do like to have the best gadgets, and if we bought one for my wife I am sure we would order the Laser lights with High Beam assist.
Appreciate 0
      12-28-2019, 09:12 AM   #12
JD6
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 840i GC + Mini Electric L3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tengocity View Post

My wife loves the car, and we may actually replace her C250d with an estate one in the summer, and I honestly wouldn't modify anything. I'd add more extras though - laser lights, tow bar for bikes.
I have a feeling that the 330e, if that’s the G2x model you’re considering for your wife, can’t take a towbar. I might be wrong about that.

Sounds like the 330e is an impressive package.

Last edited by JD6; 12-28-2019 at 10:36 AM..
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2020, 03:27 AM   #13
DougMcL
Major
Rep
Drives: BMW i4 40e, Honda Jazz Hybrid

Sorry about the bump.

Drove one of these yesterday and was amazed by the drivetrain and the car in general. NVH is way better the F3x and I had the 440i! Loved it. Interior quality is really excellent with none of those terrible scratchy plastics below the door handle line (Mercedes, Lexus, Audi, I'm talking about you) and refinement is from the class above. It's like having a mini 5er. Economy is also pretty good though I was driving it with the battery discharged.

I drove it back to back with a Lexus 250h on a seven mile route. BMW 37mpg, Lexus 52mpg. The 35 miles or so pure electric range works for me though. Is that actually achievable? Until charging infrastructure improves i think this car is the way to go...
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2020, 05:43 AM   #14
Tengocity
General
Scotland
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by DougMcL View Post
Sorry about the bump.

Drove one of these yesterday and was amazed by the drivetrain and the car in general. NVH is way better the F3x and I had the 440i! Loved it. Interior quality is really excellent with none of those terrible scratchy plastics below the door handle line (Mercedes, Lexus, Audi, I'm talking about you) and refinement is from the class above. It's like having a mini 5er. Economy is also pretty good though I was driving it with the battery discharged.

I drove it back to back with a Lexus 250h on a seven mile route. BMW 37mpg, Lexus 52mpg. The 35 miles or so pure electric range works for me though. Is that actually achievable? Until charging infrastructure improves i think this car is the way to go...
I would say that 30 miles on elecric is achievable, especially if it didn't involve doing 70mph on the motorway. That's where you see the electric range drop quickly.
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2020, 08:05 AM   #15
XAlp
Major
Rep
Drives: Volvo XC90 T6

Nice! A convincing endorsement.
Is it “the same” setup as the X3? I test drove one and really liked it but the raised boot floor reduced boot volume from 550 to 450L.
The X5 with the 6 cyl plus no raised boot floor (I believe) would be great too I guess, but ££££
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2020, 08:11 AM   #16
Tengocity
General
Scotland
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by XAlp View Post
Nice! A convincing endorsement.
Is it “the same” setup as the X3? I test drove one and really liked it but the raised boot floor reduced boot volume from 550 to 450L.
The X5 with the 6 cyl plus no raised boot floor (I believe) would be great too I guess, but ££££
Yes, it's the same set up in the X3. I've handed our 330e back now as it was a company car and I've changed job, but we would like to stick with having a hybrid in the household. We have a big dog and think the 340i tourer may be on the small side for us, and so for the reasons you've outlined the X5 is considerably more appealing. The X5 has also has a larger battery so even longer battery range, as well as the super smooth B58 engine.
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2020, 10:22 AM   #17
f30paul
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: F30 330e

Thanks for the write up.

I'm still loving the F30 330e as bought in June this year, mainly for a lot of reasons you've stated in your write-up, and I'm now saving serious amounts of fuel in commuting.

I knew when I bought this earlier in the year, that unless the landscape quickly changed in electric cars, the next car would be a G20 330e. I'm still interested in driving too much to consider any South Korean clone EV. Seems like the 330e is an improvement in a lot of areas, and it should be considering how long the F30 has been around.

I'm not surprised refinement has improved in the G20 model, and it's something quite noticeable in hybrids/EVs that when you've got no diesel clatter to mask it, road noise can be very intrusive at times - maybe it's just because I'm listening out for it now in the F30?

Have you noticed how the economy is with a flat battery? Just saying that as I'd read some reviews that stated it was less economical than the F30 (marginally) simply due to being a heavier car with a heavier battery. I like the fact that unless I drive like a hooligan, on a flat battery I'm still getting 40-45mpg, so not absolutely dreadful! I also agree it's never felt like a heavy 3 series, though I'm probably not putting it at its limits around corners.
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2020, 10:33 AM   #18
DougMcL
Major
Rep
Drives: BMW i4 40e, Honda Jazz Hybrid

Flat battery yesterday on 7 mile test drive. Still managed 37 mpg and that was hilly plus suburban city traffic.
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2020, 11:33 AM   #19
JD6
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 840i GC + Mini Electric L3

Quote:
Flat battery yesterday on 7 mile test drive. Still managed 37 mpg and that was hilly plus suburban city traffic.
Poor form of the dealer to provide a test drive of a PHEV with a flat battery. Good that you were impressed though - they are even better when charged!

The step up in quality from the F3x to the G2x is impressive.
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2020, 12:26 PM   #20
f30paul
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: F30 330e

Quote:
Originally Posted by JD6 View Post
Quote:
Poor form of the dealer to provide a test drive of a PHEV with a flat battery. Good that you were impressed though - they are even better when charged!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JD6 View Post
Quote:

I'm sure build quality is better as it should be, but still a fan of the dash shape in the F30, and to a certain extent the exterior looks. Maybe it's just familiarity and I'm getting old and stubborn!

I remember the overnight charge had failed at the dealership for my test drive - I was left with 3 miles in the 'tank', still managed some urban areas but mostly it was a test drive testing the refinement of the petrol engine. Which I actually find very refined, especially after ownership of an Audi TDI and a 320d
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2020, 01:07 PM   #21
XAlp
Major
Rep
Drives: Volvo XC90 T6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tengocity View Post
Yes, it's the same set up in the X3. I've handed our 330e back now as it was a company car and I've changed job, but we would like to stick with having a hybrid in the household. We have a big dog and think the 340i tourer may be on the small side for us, and so for the reasons you've outlined the X5 is considerably more appealing. The X5 has also has a larger battery so even longer battery range, as well as the super smooth B58 engine.
In case of interest

2018 Volvo XC90 T6 Inscription Pro
2003 Honda S2000
Appreciate 0
      11-22-2020, 02:03 PM   #22
npr
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: volvo s40,'16 320i,17 Golf GTi

Hi Tengocity,

Having now handed the car back, what was your final verdict of the car? Still as glowing?

Would you choose over a G20 330i or 320i?

My previous car was a f30 320i which was great(apart from lack of lumbar support).

Thanks
Appreciate 0