F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > General F30 Sedan / F32 Coupe / F36 Gran Coupe Forum > BMW F30 steering squeaking after work on the turbo??
ARMA SPEED

08-21-2020, 03:19 AM   #1
mjgreen81
Rep
Drives: BMW 320i 2013

BMW F30 steering squeaking after work on the turbo??

2013 320i xDrive.

Car was in the garage yesterday for some work to replace the turbo oil feed line. Turbo was removed, and oil and coolant changed during this work.

The car was dropped back to me and first time I drove it I noticed this squeaking when turning the wheel. Pretty sure it's coming from the front of the car and not from the steering wheel itself.

I am going to speak to mechanic on Monday, but it's going to be very difficult for him to believe that I am not trying to con him for extra free work as I can't think that any of the work removing the turbo would have had this effect?

Any ideas what this could be? Could the mechanic knocked something out of place? It kind of feels like something is catching or rubbing as there is a slight bit of tension at the point it squeaks.

Video here:. https://youtu.be/sKCXqxWQ-xs

Thank you
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2020, 08:26 AM   #2
mjgreen81
Rep
Drives: BMW 320i 2013

This is resolved!

The heat shield was just touching the steering stalk ever so slightly. The steering stalk is square so it was catching each time one of the corners caught the shield. I just reached through the bonnet and slightly bent the shield back. Issue gone!
Appreciate 0