F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > General F30 Sedan / F32 Coupe / F36 Gran Coupe Forum > Drivetrain Malfunction when ignition on but clears after restarting car
Extreme Powerhouse

04-13-2021, 07:56 AM   #1
Boanes
Registered
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW 328i f30

Drivetrain Malfunction when ignition on but clears after restarting car

Hello everyone, this is my first post and as stated I have been running into some issues with the drivetrain malfunction limp mode warning on my 2013 328i n20 8 speed auto. The symptoms are as follows:

Turning on ignition leaving engine off will produce "drivetrain malfunction" on the screen.

Turning the car off then waiting a few minutes and restarting the car, but this time holding down the brake and turning the engine on clears the malfunction.

Pulling codes from the car with the malfunction present shows
P0112 Intake Air Temperature Sensor 1 Circuit Low
P3432 Cylinder 4 Exhaust Valve Control Circuit High
P0412 Secondary Air Injection System Switching Valve "A" Circuit

Pulling codes from the car with no malfunction present shows no codes

Current mods are JB4, G-Plus FMIC, and K&N drop in air filter. Car runs fine and doesn't have malfunction or CEL pop up while driving normally or on stage one/4 gallons of e85. Have done multiple pulls up to 160mph and the car runs like a champ as well as taking it through curvy desert roads or up the mountains. The car takes a beating from time to time usually on weekends, but is always allowed to warm up before being pushed. Daily driven doing up to 70 miles a day to and from work. Currently sitting at 112k miles with oil being done every 7.5k it could use some sparks and coils though since it was last done at 75k. If anyone has any suggestions or has encountered similar issues would be nice to hear from you. Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2021, 02:57 PM   #2
Elvisfan
Major
Rep
Drives: 2018 430ix convertible MGM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boanes View Post
Hello everyone, this is my first post and as stated I have been running into some issues with the drivetrain malfunction limp mode warning on my 2013 328i n20 8 speed auto. The symptoms are as follows:

Turning on ignition leaving engine off will produce "drivetrain malfunction" on the screen.

Turning the car off then waiting a few minutes and restarting the car, but this time holding down the brake and turning the engine on clears the malfunction.

Pulling codes from the car with the malfunction present shows
P0112 Intake Air Temperature Sensor 1 Circuit Low
P3432 Cylinder 4 Exhaust Valve Control Circuit High
P0412 Secondary Air Injection System Switching Valve "A" Circuit

Pulling codes from the car with no malfunction present shows no codes

Current mods are JB4, G-Plus FMIC, and K&N drop in air filter. Car runs fine and doesn't have malfunction or CEL pop up while driving normally or on stage one/4 gallons of e85. Have done multiple pulls up to 160mph and the car runs like a champ as well as taking it through curvy desert roads or up the mountains. The car takes a beating from time to time usually on weekends, but is always allowed to warm up before being pushed. Daily driven doing up to 70 miles a day to and from work. Currently sitting at 112k miles with oil being done every 7.5k it could use some sparks and coils though since it was last done at 75k. If anyone has any suggestions or has encountered similar issues would be nice to hear from you. Thanks!
When you turn on the ignition, the car is doing a check of systems. Since you haven’t actually started the car, the systems won’t be cleared until the car starts. Ignore messages that pop up when the car is not running. No messages when running. You are fine. Had this same type of situation on another forum. User ran a system check on his app after having the car on but not running. Showed all sorts of error messages. It was nothing. For example, a charging error because the alternator was on but not charging. Because the engine wasn’t running, Duh.
Appreciate 1
Billfitz8243.00