F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Suspension | Chassis | Brakes > Painted brake calipers question?
GetBMWParts

01-06-2022, 10:19 AM   #1
gorgeto
Rep
Drives: Bmw 325d

Painted brake calipers question?

Hello community.

My brother have just painted his brake calipers but forgot to mask with tape the dust seals and the pistons... He painted the outer dust seals and the pistons outside also little bit inside the cup of the pistons will this be a problem to mount them like this or he needs to strip the whole paint.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      01-06-2022, 11:04 AM   #2
johnung
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW 335i x-Drive Auto

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by gorgeto View Post
Hello community.

My brother have just painted his brake calipers but forgot to mask with tape the dust seals and the pistons... He painted the outer dust seals and the pistons outside also little bit inside the cup of the pistons will this be a problem to mount them like this or he needs to strip the whole paint.
IMO remove those bolts and use solvent, paint remover, etc to get the paint completely off those threads.

You don't want to leave paint on rubber dust seals. They are inexpensive, so just replace them. In the US, Centric makes replacements. Not sure about Europe.

You'll want to remove paint from pistons and all sliding surfaces on the calipers. Just look at how the brake pads fit into the calipers. The metal brackets built into the top and bottom of the pads need to slide freely within the caliper. Remove the paint from those areas.

I'd start with a mild solvent like isopropyl rubbing alcohol and slowly move up to stronger paint remover solvents but focus just on those small areas. You can also try physical removal with sandpaper or small sanding tools on a Dremel. Spray everything with brake cleaner when you are finished.

Hope this helps!
Appreciate 1
cfm56d7b5877.50
      01-07-2022, 09:02 AM   #3
gorgeto
Rep
Drives: Bmw 325d

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnung View Post
IMO remove those bolts and use solvent, paint remover, etc to get the paint completely off those threads.

You don't want to leave paint on rubber dust seals. They are inexpensive, so just replace them. In the US, Centric makes replacements. Not sure about Europe.

You'll want to remove paint from pistons and all sliding surfaces on the calipers. Just look at how the brake pads fit into the calipers. The metal brackets built into the top and bottom of the pads need to slide freely within the caliper. Remove the paint from those areas.

I'd start with a mild solvent like isopropyl rubbing alcohol and slowly move up to stronger paint remover solvents but focus just on those small areas. You can also try physical removal with sandpaper or small sanding tools on a Dremel. Spray everything with brake cleaner when you are finished.

Hope this helps!
Thank you veru much for your answer i will strip it off and change the dust covers.
Appreciate 1
johnung4526.50