F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Suspension | Chassis | Brakes > F30 Strut Bar
Studio RSR

03-14-2021, 09:34 PM   #265
Jvac
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2015 335i rwd

Quote:
Originally Posted by jnj2455 View Post
I'm a bit grated right now because the general input from everyone here and from Megan was that this would fit on a B58 F32.

And it kinda does but not really. It comes into contact with that fuse box-esque looking thing. If I remove the cover, I would be able to install the strut bar but then it looks like there's a potential to expose all the wiring to moisture? I frankly don't know what the wiring/plugs are for. It looks like it's pinching the wires but there is clearance underneath.

Wondering if anybody has gone through this? I haven't tightened the assembly together yet because I'm debating if I should just return the bar, or it would be OK to leave that cover off. The cover exists for a reason..

EDIT: Did a little digging, that is apparently the ECU.
We're you not able to reinstall the ecu cover with a little maneuvering? Maybe give it another shot? When I bought the Megan bar, it said the same thing for the n55/335i- ecu cover must be trimmed or removed to install. But I am able to get the cover back in place under the strut bar mount without it causing any pressure on the plastic. I've taken both off 2 or 3 times for maintenance purposes and put back ok. Now, your engine might be a different, story, I don't know, just saying that it said the same thing for mine in the instructions and I was able to get around it.
https://www.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh...php?p=25389196
      03-14-2021, 10:38 PM   #266
mgeller
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 340i

Quote:
I'm a bit grated right now because the general input from everyone here and from Megan was that this would fit on a B58 F32.

And it kinda does but not really. It comes into contact with that fuse box-esque looking thing. If I remove the cover, I would be able to install the strut bar but then it looks like there's a potential to expose all the wiring to moisture? I frankly don't know what the wiring/plugs are for. It looks like it's pinching the wires but there is clearance underneath.

Wondering if anybody has gone through this? I haven't tightened the assembly together yet because I'm debating if I should just return the bar, or it would be OK to leave that cover off. The cover exists for a reason..

EDIT: Did a little digging, that is apparently the ECU.
I actually just went through the same thing last weekend. I gave the housing a nice trim. Its still very covered. The housing plastic is pretty strong so I used metal cutters to ease the process. Not too big of a deal, if I was less excited after waiting a month to receive it I probably would have returned it and got one that fit perfectly.
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
jnj2455352.50
      03-14-2021, 11:02 PM   #267
jnj2455
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 440i 6MT/RWD/MPPSK/2VF

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgeller View Post
I actually just went through the same thing last weekend. I gave the housing a nice trim. Its still very covered. The housing plastic is pretty strong so I used metal cutters to ease the process. Not too big a deal but if I was less excited about receiving it after waiting a month I probably would have returned and got one that fit perfectly.
Oooh can you please share a few zoomed-in photos of how you trimmed it? Were you able to retain the stud-thing that holds it in place, closest where it interferes w/ the bar? It looked very close when I was eyeballing it.
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2021, 02:16 AM   #268
mgeller
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 340i

Quote:
Quote:
I actually just went through the same thing last weekend. I gave the housing a nice trim. Its still very covered. The housing plastic is pretty strong so I used metal cutters to ease the process. Not too big a deal but if I was less excited about receiving it after waiting a month I probably would have returned and got one that fit perfectly.
Oooh can you please share a few zoomed-in photos of how you trimmed it? Were you able to retain the stud-thing that holds it in place, closest where it interferes w/ the bar? It looked very close when I was eyeballing it.
Yessir. It's extremely close fit haha. Sorry it's not easy to get the enclosure off without taking the strut bar off but here's some zoomed in shots. I needed to cut a small bit of that clip to get it to fit. Still works perfectly fine, just be careful not to accidentally crack off too much of it. Probably should have sanded the edges to get rid of the jaggedness of the cuts but that's for another day haha
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
jnj2455352.50
      03-15-2021, 08:41 AM   #269
jnj2455
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Yessir. It's extremely close fit haha. Sorry it's not easy to get the enclosure off without taking the strut bar off but here's some zoomed in shots. I needed to cut a small bit of that clip to get it to fit. Still works perfectly fine, just be careful not to accidentally crack off too much of it. Probably should have sanded the edges to get rid of the jaggedness of the cuts but that's for another day haha
Glad to see it done! Obviously this isn't and was never intended to be a watertight design but more so a dust cover; as long as most of it is covered, I'll be content.

Will have to fuck around with it later, appreciate it.
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2021, 01:30 PM   #270
jnj2455
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

This wasn't preferred but I trimmed it as much as I thought was appropriate for the interference. I think I carved it a bit further than mgeller cuz the bar was still pushing and causing the whole cover to flex. Taking it off in the future will not be fun but doable.

As for drive feel, I've purposely have left it in comfort and my experience is still limited but there seems to be a noticeable difference at low speeds in the steering. Stationary, the steering wheel is still stupid light but at low speeds there seems to be noticeable improved feedback, especially around that usually dead slightly off-centre feel.

Honestly could be all a placebo and it will never be the steering feel of the E90 or G20 but I'm decently happy with it. I will be driving a few hundred miles this weekend so will try to push it hard.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      03-19-2021, 05:31 AM   #271
disintegrator66
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '18 340i M-Sport 6MT THP MPPSK

Quote:
This wasn't preferred but I trimmed it as much as I thought was appropriate for the interference. I think I carved it a bit further than mgeller cuz the bar was still pushing and causing the whole cover to flex. Taking it off in the future will not be fun but doable.

As for drive feel, I've purposely have left it in comfort and my experience is still limited but there seems to be a noticeable difference at low speeds in the steering. Stationary, the steering wheel is still stupid light but at low speeds there seems to be noticeable improved feedback, especially around that usually dead slightly off-centre feel.

Honestly could be all a placebo and it will never be the steering feel of the E90 or G20 but I'm decently happy with it. I will be driving a few hundred miles this weekend so will try to push it hard.
Sorry bro, but that carved up cover looks pretty sketchy. I'd buy a used cover and start over.
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2021, 10:10 AM   #272
jnj2455
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by disintegrator66 View Post
Sorry bro, but that carved up cover looks pretty sketchy. I'd buy a used cover and start over.
Hahah now that at least most of the ECU is covered back up, this is out of sight out of mind until like, the dealer calls me out or some shit.

I welcome you to come down to the tri-state and do this for me. The bar does hover really low and cuts into it so I either had to choose a bit material interference either way or just cut it further in. But again, the reason I trimmed it more was because the bar was still causing the rest of the cover to flex and not align properly.
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2021, 06:28 AM   #273
disintegrator66
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '18 340i M-Sport 6MT THP MPPSK

Quote:
Hahah now that at least most of the ECU is covered back up, this is out of sight out of mind until like, the dealer calls me out or some shit.

I welcome you to come down to the tri-state and do this for me. The bar does hover really low and cuts into it so I either had to choose a bit material interference either way or just cut it further in. But again, the reason I trimmed it more was because the bar was still causing the rest of the cover to flex and not align properly.
Nah, you come up to MA and I'll break out my bandsaw and dremel and make it nice-nice . Or you could sell that bar as it's obviously not made for the B58 F32. Notice where other bars on this tread have their bar attachment brakets located. Most are prior to the inner most strut mount bolt. The bar you purchased has these brackets located past this bolt and hence the clearance issues. In any case, if you're happy all is good!
Appreciate 1
jnj2455352.50
      03-21-2021, 10:10 AM   #274
jnj2455
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by disintegrator66 View Post
Nah, you come up to MA and I'll break out my bandsaw and dremel and make it nice-nice . Or you could sell that bar as it's obviously not made for the B58 F32. Notice where other bars on this tread have their bar attachment brakets located. Most are prior to the inner most strut mount bolt. The bar you purchased has these brackets located past this bolt and hence the clearance issues. In any case, if you're happy all is good!
You're totally right, the other bars (Ultra Racing & weichers come to mind) where it doesn't bend right away but rises straight up from the edge of the strut tower first, presumably to clear the misc. items in between.

however, I think the others go for $200+ depending on where you look and I'm not convinced that they will yield better results than my $90 option. So yes, it's a bit ghetto-rigged but when the need comes in the future, i'll just remove and order a replacement cover so it looks normal.
Appreciate 0
      07-13-2021, 09:12 AM   #275
CarsonLai
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW 330e

Quote:
Originally Posted by GOLDENDUSt86 View Post
Hi
I've an F30 320i
i've installed upper front Strut tower (Ultraracing)UR-TW2-3744
and I bought the lower front one UR-LA2-2543,, but the problem was that I have to remove the Underride protection (part number 31146850067)
Does any one has a way around this?? Maybe one had cut through the underride protection ?!!
Ah btw,,, the front upper strut tower brace really does a good job in holding up the front of the car,, I wish I can install the lower one without having to remove the shield,
Thx
Hi, I'm planning to buy the exact same one. Wondering what is the torque spec for all the bolts ? I'm using back the original one. (Not sure is a M8 or M10). Thank you !
Appreciate 0
      07-13-2021, 11:05 AM   #276
thejeremyman9
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarsonLai View Post
Hi, I'm planning to buy the exact same one. Wondering what is the torque spec for all the bolts ? I'm using back the original one. (Not sure is a M8 or M10). Thank you !
It's discussed back in this thread somewhere just click through the pages. Just make sure if you are re-using bolts, don't do the +90 deg on the torque because they are single use TTY and doing so might break them.
Appreciate 1
      07-13-2021, 03:01 PM   #277
alohasurftoad
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 440i gran coupe w/mppsk

i went megan racing which is about as inexpensive as you can get. tbh, it doesn't feel like it's doing a whole lot, so im glad i didn't put too much $$ into it.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      07-15-2021, 01:11 AM   #278
CarsonLai
Enlisted Member
Rep

Finally I've made up my mind and went for the "black super circuit struct bar" and it just looks so damn good !!
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
J555568.50
      07-15-2021, 04:02 AM   #279
J555
Captain
Rep
Drives: F31 LCI 340iX

Quote:
Originally Posted by alohasurftoad View Post
i went megan racing which is about as inexpensive as you can get. tbh, it doesn't feel like it's doing a whole lot, so im glad i didn't put too much $$ into it.
Strange, as my looks very similar, and it significantly improved the car in many areas. Since that, I consider it a clear must-have. Don't think the lighter engine can be of such difference
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      07-15-2021, 05:45 AM   #280
CarsonLai
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by J555 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by alohasurftoad View Post
Strange, as my looks very similar, and it significantly improved the car in many areas. Since that, I consider it a clear must-have. Don't think the lighter engine can be of such difference
Me too. The steering feels tighter and responding better compare to without the bar. I went for the one pcs design instead of the adjustable one so I don't have to worry about the joint will get loose.
Appreciate 1
sspade2464.50
      07-15-2021, 06:12 AM   #281
J555
Captain
Rep
Drives: F31 LCI 340iX

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarsonLai View Post
Me too. The steering feels tighter and responding better compare to without the bar. I went for the one pcs design instead of the adjustable one so I don't have to worry about the joint will get loose.
There is no need to worry, it is very robust. I wouldn't go for one piece, as servicing or just removing the engine cover requires the full removal of the strut bar and a fresh set of bolts.

Anyways, the torsional rigidity is so much improved in my case. The "dead" center of steering is almost gone, the car is more comfortable, the interior creaks mostly disappeared...
Appreciate 1
Jvac432.00
      01-14-2022, 10:57 PM   #282
capt_slow
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 F31 328d

Garage List
Installed a Megan Racing strut bar along with new bolts. Total damage about $120. The bar fits pretty well on the N47 engine, no need to trim the DDE cover on the driver side and there's enough clearance to remove the engine acoustic cover. The only adjustment is rerouting the harnesses attached to either strut tower (see below). I ran into the exact same wiring issue as this post. I ended up inverting the ziptie mount and that gave enough clearance. What does concern me is part of the harness looks pretty kinked. I did try a similar method to what thejeremyman9 tried. The bend radius seems to have improved at the cost of looks. Not sure which method works better.

Stock harness mounting

Inverted mounting w/ brace installed

Sharp bend in harness with inverted mounting

thejeremyman9 method

Last edited by capt_slow; 01-15-2022 at 11:24 AM..
Appreciate 0
      08-18-2022, 10:02 AM   #283
SirBiggles
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 440i Gran Coupe

Been watching this thread for a while! I'm in the UK and have a 2016 F36(GC) 440i. I've changed from M-perf to Bilstein B8s + Eibach lowering springs. Feels fantastic in comparison (+ Remus exhaust). Next is front strut brace

In the UK I'm trying to find a good quality black strut brace (this is proving difficult!). So looking at Wiechers Steel-MStyle Wiechers Steel-DCP or Ultra Racing steel-DCP or Ultra Racing Shop. Ultra Racing Shop & DCP say they cannot guarantee fitment of those struts for the car.

The only shop I can find that guarantees fitment for the F36 440i is Motech. But they want £168 inc postage, the other Ultra Racing links are around £120. And I'd prefer black if poss! But either way, fitment is most important...
Appreciate 0
      08-18-2022, 11:35 AM   #284
thejeremyman9
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirBiggles View Post
Been watching this thread for a while! I'm in the UK and have a 2016 F36(GC) 440i. I've changed from M-perf to Bilstein B8s + Eibach lowering springs. Feels fantastic in comparison (+ Remus exhaust). Next is front strut brace

In the UK I'm trying to find a good quality black strut brace (this is proving difficult!). So looking at Wiechers Steel-MStyle Wiechers Steel-DCP or Ultra Racing steel-DCP or Ultra Racing Shop. Ultra Racing Shop & DCP say they cannot guarantee fitment of those struts for the car.

The only shop I can find that guarantees fitment for the F36 440i is Motech. But they want £168 inc postage, the other Ultra Racing links are around £120. And I'd prefer black if poss! But either way, fitment is most important...
Personally wouldn't buy any of those since it doesnt look like you can adjust/preload them.

https://f30.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh...&postcount=233
Appreciate 0
      08-18-2022, 01:17 PM   #285
SirBiggles
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 440i Gran Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by thejeremyman9 View Post
Personally wouldn't buy any of those since it doesnt look like you can adjust/preload them.

https://f30.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh...&postcount=233
Thanks - what are the main differences between the Aluminium one from Turner you installed and this steel one ?
Appreciate 0
      08-18-2022, 02:12 PM   #286
thejeremyman9
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirBiggles View Post
Thanks - what are the main differences between the Aluminium one from Turner you installed and this steel one ?
The one you linked is "fixed" in the sense that you cannot adjust the length of the bar to "preload" or "tighten" it.
Appreciate 0