F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > Regional Forums > UK > UK - Off Topic > Pinged to Isolate
Extreme Powerhouse

07-21-2021, 10:38 AM   #45
Nibbles
Captain
Rep
Drives: BMW 5 Series

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scoobyd View Post
If you're double vaccinated, that will be the case from 16th August. See below.

Double vaccinated people will no longer be legally required to self-isolate if they are identified as a close contact of a positive COVID-19 case.

To ensure young people can make the most of their education as restrictions continue to ease, the Government also plans to exempt those aged under 18 from self-isolation if they are a close contact.

Introducing this exemption in August will enable even more people to have received both doses of the vaccine, significantly reducing the risk of severe illness and providing the fullest protection possible for people across the country. The NHS COVID-19 app will update in August in line with the new guidance on self-isolation for close contacts.

Young people and double vaccinated individuals identified as close contacts will continue to be advised to take a PCR test, to detect the virus and variants of concern. Anyone who tests positive following the PCR test will still be legally required to self-isolate, irrespective of their vaccination status.
Yep, I just don't see why they didn't do that from now. It's rampant out there and you're freeing up restrictions but with the NHS app running wild you're either going to have a third of the country being told to isolate or they'll ignore it completely or delete the app. Just another disjointed decision from the thundercunts in charge.
Appreciate 0
      07-21-2021, 10:49 AM   #46
AndyCKent
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW 320d F30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nibbles View Post
They should have just changed the rules on getting pinged by the app. Take a lateral flow test for each morning for the next five or seven days, if it's clear carry on as normal, if it's positive, confirm with a PCR test and isolate. I'm sure people would have been far more likely to go along with that.
How do you check people are doing the daily tests though? Many would just not bother.

I’m sure some would be happy to do this but many won’t, although lots of these are the ones who wouldn’t bother to isolate if pinged either I suppose.
Appreciate 0
      07-21-2021, 10:52 AM   #47
Scoobyd
Major
Rep
Drives: E46 330ci Sport / Macan GTS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nibbles View Post
Yep, I just don't see why they didn't do that from now. It's rampant out there and you're freeing up restrictions but with the NHS app running wild you're either going to have a third of the country being told to isolate or they'll ignore it completely or delete the app. Just another disjointed decision from the thundercunts in charge.
To get more people double vaccinated and so better protected with reduced transmission first. Literally said so in what I'd shared.
Appreciate 0
      07-21-2021, 10:53 AM   #48
Nibbles
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyCKent View Post
How do you check people are doing the daily tests though? Many would just not bother.

I’m sure some would be happy to do this but many won’t, although lots of these are the ones who wouldn’t bother to isolate if pinged either I suppose.
I don't think you have to check, they're not checking what happens after someone is pinged and told to isolate now so I don't think they'd check. It just offers people a bit more leeway which is all people really want especially as the app isn't the most accurate of things.
Appreciate 0
      07-21-2021, 10:57 AM   #49
Nibbles
Captain
Rep

Quote:
To get more people double vaccinated and so better protected with reduced transmission first. Literally said so in what I'd shared.
I get that's the big plan behind it but it hasn't worked so they've immediately had to release schemes where some companies are exempt, others are telling their staff to delete the app. Personally, I don't know anyone that still has it on their phone.
Appreciate 0
      07-21-2021, 02:32 PM   #50
R0B
Colonel
Rep
Drives: a car

My wife got pinged last week, but had been in isolation for 8 days already due to a case at school. Turned out to be our next door neighbour who was positive. We have a reasonable sized house so it'd done well to get through three walls.
Appreciate 1
x-m4n148.00
      07-22-2021, 02:05 AM   #51
AndyCKent
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by R0B View Post
My wife got pinged last week, but had been in isolation for 8 days already due to a case at school. Turned out to be our next door neighbour who was positive. We have a reasonable sized house so it'd done well to get through three walls.
There is just too much uncertainty around the app and this is why many are deleting it.

If a ping meant with a reasonable certainty you could very well have caught Covid, I could see the benefit but people are being pinged through walls!

I genuinely don't think the app is good value for money.
Appreciate 0
      07-22-2021, 02:57 AM   #52
Wills2
Barge driver
Ukraine
Rep
Drives: 730d

What do you expect for £37bn?
      07-22-2021, 04:30 AM   #53
C320
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 911 Turbo S, X5 40i, XC90 T5

Quote:

Double vaccinated people will no longer be legally required to self-isolate if they are identified as a close contact of a positive COVID-19 case.

To ensure young people can make the most of their education as restrictions continue to ease, the Government also plans to exempt those aged under 18 from self-isolation if they are a close contact.

Introducing this exemption in August will enable even more people to have received both doses of the vaccine, significantly reducing the risk of severe illness and providing the fullest protection possible for people across the country. The NHS COVID-19 app will update in August in line with the new guidance on self-isolation for close contacts.

Young people and double vaccinated individuals identified as close contacts will continue to be advised to take a PCR test, to detect the virus and variants of concern. Anyone who tests positive following the PCR test will still be legally required to self-isolate, irrespective of their vaccination status.
I've been a huge proponent of this too, although they really need a better way of being able to report negative results directly into the app from the lateral flow tests (as opposed to essentially self-certifying the result).

I've had both vaccinations (2nd was in mid-May) and I'm also participating in one of the ONS Surveys whereby I have monthly blood tests (which show I have developed antibodies).

Long story short - I was pinged last Friday saying I had been in close contact with someone who had tested positive for Covid!

The 'encounter' date was the Wednesday. So I did lateral flow tests each day from late Friday. On Sunday I got a positive lateral flow test and then took a PCR test which also came back positive So, since Sunday, our entire family have been self-isolating. My wife & kids have been testing each day too and so far are all still negative!

Glad that we have the testing system we have, and as I'd been into the office it's a pain that some of my colleagues were pinged but I think it's all still for good reason.

Remember the vaccinne doesn't give you immunity but it certainly seems to help!

Covid symptoms suck but I'm coping with it so far (was still positive with a lateral flow test yesterday) - will try to check every other day.
Appreciate 3
Ennoch2257.00
Scoobyd1954.50
      07-22-2021, 04:32 AM   #54
x-m4n
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Gran Turismo (F34)

Quote:
Originally Posted by R0B View Post
Mind you the app keeps track of close contacts for the previous 5 days and just 2 days from today

Last edited by x-m4n; 08-03-2021 at 07:30 AM..
Appreciate 0
      07-22-2021, 05:46 AM   #55
TodmordenLad
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Audi A4 Avant

Nearly 620,000 alerts sent in the past week, a 17% increase on the previous week, and set to continue to rise.
I was in a busy hospital dept on Monday and was told that staff levels were down because of the virus and self-isolation. Large local pharmacy struggling this morning with only one person serving and one dispensing.
The govt hasn't thought this through. No surprise. On top of that there are the increasing Br***t related food shortages due to lack of drivers. Johnson may have oversold and overpromised on the summer of "freedom".
      07-22-2021, 09:56 AM   #56
C320
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 911 Turbo S, X5 40i, XC90 T5

Quote:
Originally Posted by B58_f32 View Post
Its lockdown by stealth really. Boris has kept his side of the deal by releasing all restrictions on July 19th. If he delayed freedom day then he would be under pressure. This way he is not under pressure for delaying freedom day. But if everyone has been pinged they are basically in lockdown.
Easy solution is to test yourself, uninstall the app and get on with life. Ppl loosing money due to lack of income, holidays cancelled etc.

Uninstall the app, get on with things. Most people are vaccinated now.
Without being cynical I think that's the current plan, lockdown hasn't worked well and the vaccination rate is at a decent level.

It feels like the plan is, either we hit herd immunity or they have the perfect excuse to say, we gave you the responsibility to be sensible and you've all blown it.

Damned if you do and damned if you don't!

As a double vaccinated person who is currently at home isolating with Covid, I'd still say be careful guys & girls!
Appreciate 0
      07-22-2021, 10:34 AM   #57
PeakyJ
Enthusiast
England
Rep
Drives: BMW F30 330d

Quote:

I think they should include anyone who tests positive for Covid antibodies and not just the fully vaccinated. Immunity is immunity regardless of how you acquired it.

This principle should also be the same for any nightclub pass from September.
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2021, 09:38 PM   #58
agentorange
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 328d

Considering the population numbers and distribution in the UK (65 million or more, most of which live in the southern third) how do you not get pinged.

Also, given all those people being crammed together, how does the virus survive being blasted by the various forms of RF emitted by all their cellphones.
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2021, 01:24 AM   #59
AndyCKent
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by agentorange View Post
Considering the population numbers and distribution in the UK (65 million or more, most of which live in the southern third) how do you not get pinged.
You delete the app.

Can't get pinged by an app you don't have.
Appreciate 1
scottc699.00
      07-26-2021, 02:21 AM   #60
scottc
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: Mercedes E350 Cpe

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by agentorange View Post
You delete the app.

Can't get pinged by an app you don't have.
This!!
      07-27-2021, 06:02 AM   #61
TouringPleb
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: SRB 440i GC

Pinged for the 3rd time in 3 weeks!
Appreciate 1
isleaiw18759.00
      07-27-2021, 07:03 AM   #62
Ennoch
Colonel
Rep
Drives: F31 335D XDrive

I'm guessing this may be the final blow to the app:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-57983455

Once the app gets under critical mass it becomes useless (arguments of its current effectiveness aside) as there simply aren't enough people using it to generate the accurate pings, and so you end up with a large subset of people with Covid but not alerting anyone to it.
Appreciate 0
      07-27-2021, 08:10 AM   #63
AndyCKent
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ennoch View Post
I'm guessing this may be the final blow to the app:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-57983455

Once the app gets under critical mass it becomes useless (arguments of its current effectiveness aside) as there simply aren't enough people using it to generate the accurate pings, and so you end up with a large subset of people with Covid but not alerting anyone to it.
The media have essentially killed the app anyway but even without them, it was always going to become less effective as people started questioning why they had to isolate despite being double jabbed and having no symptoms.

The reality is that most of those pinged simply won't have the virus, therefore you are asking the majority to isolate for 10 days 'just in case'.
Its a non starter for me.
Appreciate 0
      07-27-2021, 10:32 AM   #64
isleaiw1
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: iPace / Mini

Quote:
The media have essentially killed the app anyway but even without them, it was always going to become less effective as people started questioning why they had to isolate despite being double jabbed and having no symptoms.

The reality is that most of those pinged simply won't have the virus, therefore you are asking the majority to isolate for 10 days 'just in case'.
Having no symptoms doesnt mean you dont have it....and being vaccinated doesnt mean you cant carry it.

What they should do is say you have to get two PCR tests on day 1 and day 3 of isolation and then you can be released. That would probably get buy in.

According to your approach I shouldnt be inconvenienced if I dont feel ill, even if I have it....but I agree the hundreds who might be pinged with minimal contact is an issue that could be addressed by a more sensible solution...
Appreciate 2
Ennoch2257.00
Rukka2647.00
      07-27-2021, 11:05 AM   #65
x-m4n
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TouringPleb View Post
Pinged for the 3rd time in 3 weeks!
Oh dear, basically 3 people that tested positive in the previous 2 weeks, was within 2 meters of your phone, for at least 15 minutes...

I hope you see this as an early alert and keep testing, don't drop the guard against this terrible virus. I hope you are negative, as per the people that were near you, I hope they recocover soon.

Isolation rules are different argument, I hope they revise those soon because we need to encourage the use of something that is nothing more than an early alert "shield".
Appreciate 0
      07-27-2021, 11:19 AM   #66
x-m4n
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:

I see the app as a helpful early alert system - one of the few things I can do/have to gain a small advantage against the virus...

Isolation rules are a diffeent argument, I think is time now for the guidance and rules if pinged to be updated.
Appreciate 0