F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > B58 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications > How the heck do I install this boost tap?
ARMA SPEED

10-02-2021, 11:15 AM   #1
vektorprime
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 440xi

How the heck do I install this boost tap?

I bought this boost tap "P3 Boost Tap - BMW B48/B58' and I expected it to tap into the hose closer to the charge pipe but still on manifold.

Instead I got this item (https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/00...g?v=1630091748) which looks like it taps closer to the manifold here (https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/00...g?v=1630091752). I can't tell if it's tapping into the bottom or the right hose based on the picture. And I'm not sure how to take these off. I see some clips I can push in but I'm not sure if I have to do anything before that. I always disconnect the battery. I doubt there'd be any pressure in here but just wanted to confirm with someone.
Appreciate 0
      10-03-2021, 12:18 PM   #2
vektorprime
Private First Class
Rep

Update: It's definitely the right most hose in the picture as I suspected. The product obviously inserts in the middle. I had my battery out but I doubt that's required.
Appreciate 0
      10-04-2021, 11:18 AM   #3
Rdurty2
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2022 M240i

Is there a reason why you are using the add-on boost tap? P3 can read boost from OBD port. Only reason I can think to use the add-on boost tap is if you are using a JB4 since the OBD would report stock boost levels and not true boost levels that the JB4 is making.
Appreciate 0
      10-04-2021, 04:21 PM   #4
vektorprime
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rdurty2 View Post
Is there a reason why you are using the add-on boost tap? P3 can read boost from OBD port. Only reason I can think to use the add-on boost tap is if you are using a JB4 since the OBD would report stock boost levels and not true boost levels that the JB4 is making.
I switched my WMI controller from Jb4 to AEM and it has an analog boost sensor on it. So I tapped the boost hose here, and ran a small line to the controller on the driver's side. Works well as long as you don't forget the zip ties. I wasn't comfortable tapping the
Appreciate 0
      10-04-2021, 05:27 PM   #5
FalconAus
Rep
Drives: 340i

My P3 boost tap for a 2017 B58 goes into inlet manifold under other end of that plastic vent pipe immediately downstream of throttle body. Doesn't seem to be much happening in that vent pipe as I get exactly the same pressures on gauge whether vent pipe is sealed closed or remains open as original. So your tap should work the same even though it is in other end of the same vent pipe. Well advised to disconnect front end of vent pipe and unclip it from mount on manifold to raise it up then squeeze those clips to pull it out.
Appreciate 0
      10-06-2021, 07:37 PM   #6
Wires
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2016 340i xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rdurty2 View Post
Depends on the model. P3 has an analog version (not OBD) which requires a physical vacuum/boost line connection.

OP, for me, I bought the BMS meth spacer which mounts between the charge pipe and throttle body, and then plumbed the P3 into that.

Only "downfall" on the B58, is you cannot get a vacuum reading, only boost reading when doing it this way. On my E90, I "t'd" into the line off the turbo, and you got both.
Appreciate 0
      10-07-2021, 04:48 PM   #7
vektorprime
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wires View Post
Depends on the model. P3 has an analog version (not OBD) which requires a physical vacuum/boost line connection.

OP, for me, I bought the BMS meth spacer which mounts between the charge pipe and throttle body, and then plumbed the P3 into that.

Only "downfall" on the B58, is you cannot get a vacuum reading, only boost reading when doing it this way. On my E90, I "t'd" into the line off the turbo, and you got both.

problem with taking boost reading from that for meth is that you'll get meth spraying when you don't want it. For example, when throttle closes boost will spike there in the charge pipe.
Appreciate 0
      10-07-2021, 04:54 PM   #8
FalconAus
Rep

Hi Wires.
On my install, as stated above with boost tap immediately downstream of throttle body I see only the most minute vacuum if any at all. Even when diving down the side of a mountain in a lower gear with closed throttle there is virtually no vacuum.
I've been told that the throttle just swings wide open the moment the start button is pressed and remains that way till switch off.
Apparently Valvetronic is what dictates the air into cylinders and can vary from 0.2mm to something like 9mm at full lift.
And so there is no vacuum in inlet manifold ever. Interesting.
Appreciate 0
      10-07-2021, 04:59 PM   #9
Wires
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2016 340i xDrive

I should have clarified I don't run Meth, I just use their spacer since it allowed me a boost tap port.

FalconAus Where did you tap off for your setup? When I was looking a couple years ago, I couldn't find a spot, hence why I put the meth spacer between the charge pipe and the throttle body.
Appreciate 0
      10-07-2021, 07:07 PM   #10
FalconAus
Rep

Ordered P3 boost tap. It is sandwiched under the coupling of plastic pipe that enters top of inlet manifold immediately behind (downstream) of throttle body. It does raise that plastic pipe up about 10mm so it does very slightly raise the engine cover. I don't use engine cover as it seems to cause more dust to settle on engine than when it's removed.
Boost tap is well designed with an "O" ring seal as original bimmer part.
Appreciate 0