F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > Regional Forums > UK > Going from 18'' to 19''
ARMA SPEED

02-21-2014, 03:01 PM   #45
GaryUFM
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2019 G32 630iGT M Sport+

Quote:
Originally Posted by teaston View Post
So what about silvervision indicator bulbs and boot lip spoilers? Where does it end?
With the bulbs, you could argue that it's a disposable item, and as long as it's replaced with a legal alternative, you will be okay (like tyres). If you start mucking about with the housing and whatnot, that'll probably be a different matter.

Where does it end? I say again, your shout. Let them know, don't. Up to you. I'm just reiterating the warning others have said: that it has the *potential* to put you in a sticky situation *if* an insurer picks up on it.
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2014, 03:01 PM   #46
teaston
Banned
No_Country
Rep
Drives: X3 M40d

I can't tell the difference between my 225/40 18 summer rft's & 225/45 17 winter rft's though!
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2014, 03:07 PM   #47
teaston
Banned
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by GaryUFM View Post
With the bulbs, you could argue that it's a disposable item, and as long as it's replaced with a legal alternative, you will be okay (like tyres). If you start mucking about with the housing and whatnot, that'll probably be a different matter.

Where does it end? I say again, your shout. Let them know, don't. Up to you. I'm just reiterating the warning others have said: that it has the *potential* to put you in a sticky situation *if* an insurer picks up on it.
I do understand the logic behind telling them just to be safe, but do you then check the box saying yes your car is modified on whatever comparison site you use? It doesn't give you any option to say what sort of mod, and many insurers won't quote simply because it's modified. It could be very expensive for you, all because of something that the insurer would not even withhold paying out for!
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2014, 03:19 PM   #48
GaryUFM
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2019 G32 630iGT M Sport+

As someone who works in face-to-face sales, this illustrates the problem with comparison sites For a broker or agent who has direct contact with the underwriter, this won't be a problem. They can put across the trivial or common OEM changes across in a favourable light, making the situation clear, and 9 tines out of 10, you'll get a sensible response.

Or, you can get a cuddly meerkat...?
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2014, 05:36 PM   #49
JOE YOUNG
SEAL TEAM SIX
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E46 E90 E84 F30 X3G01 LCI

I mentioned the grills and spoilers to my Insurer, didn't affect my premium. Most of all, I have piece of mind and can go to sleep at night knowing my pride and joy is covered day and night.
      02-21-2014, 05:39 PM   #50
BMWSKI
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: E63 AMG Saloon :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by J30YAP View Post
I mentioned the grills and spoilers to my Insurer, didn't affect my premium. Most of all, I have piece of mind and can go to sleep at night knowing my pride and joy is covered day and night.
Nice one. Who's your insurer?
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2014, 06:10 PM   #51
General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: xxxx

Quote:
I can't tell the difference between my 225/40 18 summer rft's & 225/45 17 winter rft's though!
Ok probably a very Naive question.

Why do you have to tell insurance about winter tyres but not when you change from cheap budget tyres ( summer) to higher price all weather tyres, ones with good wet weather performance?

For example wife's old Yaris T sport, when we bought it we replaced very cheap poor grip ones with toyos. Very much changed how car drove and grip etc, absolutely no need to tell insurance ( I asked).

So the person we sold it to, could go the other way and put cheap ones on, less grip etc.

However if put winters on would need to say.....
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2014, 01:31 AM   #52
Tengocity
General
Scotland
Rep
Drives: 911, Cayenne Turbo, Disco 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brigand View Post
Ok probably a very Naive question.

Why do you have to tell insurance about winter tyres but not when you change from cheap budget tyres ( summer) to higher price all weather tyres, ones with good wet weather performance?

For example wife's old Yaris T sport, when we bought it we replaced very cheap poor grip ones with toyos. Very much changed how car drove and grip etc, absolutely no need to tell insurance ( I asked).

So the person we sold it to, could go the other way and put cheap ones on, less grip etc.

However if put winters on would need to say.....
Well this is exactly thoughts and why I have never bothered. My view has always been:

Tyres are a service item that are replaced on a regular basis
There is no one standard fit one (unless you're driving a P1 or Veyron)
As long as they are the right size and spec and conform to normal legal tyre regulations then it makes no difference
Tyres never made a car more stealable

And as the winter wheel itself is less sexy than the standard one on any car I've had then that couldn't affect the attractiveness to a thief either.

I am glad to see that my insurer (esure) is on the list of insurers that don't need to be told, and don't charge for winter tyres, but for me it just shows I was right in the first place. The whole thing is a nonsense.
Current: Porsche 911 991 C4S, Porsche Cayenne Turbo, Land Rover Discovery 4. Gone...G01 X3 M40i, Cayman S 987, F31 340i, Cayman GT4, F82 M4 CP, Lotus Exige V6, G20 330e, F30 330e, Boxster S 987, F31 335d, Mini Cooper SD, E89 Z4, E90 330d 320d, E60 520d, E46 330d 320d, MX5s, E30 325i
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2014, 03:28 AM   #53
nordberg
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F31 330d M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tengocity View Post
Well this is exactly thoughts and why I have never bothered. My view has always been:

As long as they are the right size and spec and conform to normal legal tyre regulations then it makes no difference

And as the winter wheel itself is less sexy than the standard one on any car I've had then that couldn't affect the attractiveness to a thief either.

I am glad to see that my insurer (esure) is on the list of insurers that don't need to be told, and don't charge for winter tyres, but for me it just shows I was right in the first place. The whole thing is a nonsense.
I don't think the winter tyres aspect of it is anything to do with how attractive the car is to thieves, more the fact that in normal conditions (no snow and ice) winter shod cars are not as sure footed as when on all weather tyres....
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2014, 04:03 AM   #54
Thackers
Yorkshire Sniper
England
Rep
Drives: F30 320d Sport

I'm with Esure ...

They definitely want to know every time I change my wheels/tyres from summer to winter

When I put my 400Ms on Esure said unless it's on my policy the cover would be void....there is also an admin charge applied of £26 every time a policy needs to be amended unless obviously this is done at the time of renewal.

I also asked about the performance grill and even though there would be no additional premium charge ,the admin charge would still apply.

As others have stated it's not worth the risk!!

If the insurers find your vehicle different to that when it left the BMW factory which they obviously have access to then you may be left in a very uncomfortable position..

Appreciate 0
      02-22-2014, 04:09 AM   #55
Thackers
Yorkshire Sniper
England
Rep

Quote:

I think you may be missing the point.......it's not just about the attraction to thieves !

The main reason is the overall cost to the insurer to get the vehicle back to the same condition at the time of the accident.

If you put winter tyres on your 400Ms and then buy some 403s or 405s for summers or even add performance cosmetic mods ........this will obviously mean greater costs to the insurer in the case of the claim!

Appreciate 0
      02-22-2014, 04:27 AM   #56
Tengocity
General
Scotland
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thackers View Post
I'm with Esure ...

They definitely want to know every time I change my wheels/tyres from summer to winter

When I put my 400Ms on Esure said unless it's on my policy the cover would be void....there is also an admin charge applied of £26 every time a policy needs to be amended unless obviously this is done at the time of renewal.

I also asked about the performance grill and even though there would be no additional premium charge ,the admin charge would still apply.

As others have stated it's not worth the risk!!

If the insurers find your vehicle different to that when it left the BMW factory which they obviously have access to then you may be left in a very uncomfortable position..
Thackers, check the link:
https://www.abi.org.uk/~/media/Files...ommitment.ashx

Esure are one of the insurers who've agreed that they don't need to be told about winter tyre changes or charge extra for it. My point is that they've realised (along with many other insurers) that they're position on this was ludicrous.

I've no issue that if an insurer feels that they've been misled in terms of what they are insuring (be that value, desirability, liability, risk), same as with a warranty, but this idea that insurers can use any technicality to avoid a claim seems quite wrong to me. I hear of these as second and third hand stories, but I can't recall one where someone has said this happened to them.

So, yes, a modified or tuned car which is way more powerful than standard should be declared and the extra risk be paid for, but changing tyres?!
Current: Porsche 911 991 C4S, Porsche Cayenne Turbo, Land Rover Discovery 4. Gone...G01 X3 M40i, Cayman S 987, F31 340i, Cayman GT4, F82 M4 CP, Lotus Exige V6, G20 330e, F30 330e, Boxster S 987, F31 335d, Mini Cooper SD, E89 Z4, E90 330d 320d, E60 520d, E46 330d 320d, MX5s, E30 325i
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2014, 04:29 AM   #57
Tengocity
General
Scotland
Rep

Quote:
I think you may be missing the point.......it's not just about the attraction to thieves !

The main reason is the overall cost to the insurer to get the vehicle back to the same condition at the time of the accident.

If you put winter tyres on your 400Ms and then buy some 403s or 405s for summers or even add performance cosmetic mods ........this will obviously mean greater costs to the insurer in the case of the claim!
There is difference between debating on what the value of a loss is, and the idea that insurers can just absolve themselves of any liability.

It's about all these factors and I think people are conflating many aspects of it.
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2014, 05:17 AM   #58
General
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by nordberg View Post
I don't think the winter tyres aspect of it is anything to do with how attractive the car is to thieves, more the fact that in normal conditions (no snow and ice) winter shod cars are not as sure footed as when on all weather tyres....
Ok fair point about SUMMER tyres and Winter tyres.

But why do you not have to say anything about the change between SUMMER and ALL SEASON. Tyres

http://www.ctyres.co.uk/tyre_info/tyre_type.html

Just rang my insurance on another matter and casually enquirer, reply after about 5 mins ( asking around office ?) was, " oh they are fine they are both just normal tyres"

So then I asked about putting on winter tyres and yes was told about grip etc, so I should tell them......
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2014, 07:56 AM   #59
Thackers
Yorkshire Sniper
England
Rep

Quote:
Thackers, check the link:
https://www.abi.org.uk/~/media/Files...ommitment.ashx

Esure are one of the insurers who've agreed that they don't need to be told about winter tyre changes or charge extra for it. My point is that they've realised (along with many other insurers) that they're position on this was ludicrous.

I've no issue that if an insurer feels that they've been misled in terms of what they are insuring (be that value, desirability, liability, risk), same as with a warranty, but this idea that insurers can use any technicality to avoid a claim seems quite wrong to me. I hear of these as second and third hand stories, but I can't recall one where someone has said this happened to them.

So, yes, a modified or tuned car which is way more powerful than standard should be declared and the extra risk be paid for, but changing tyres?!

I agree totally about just tyres but who any more just takes summers off and puts winters on the same wheels especially RFTs

It's the change in spec of the wheels they want to know about.

There not bothered if your going from 18s to 17s or 17s to 19s there argument is any change of wheel type from the policy they class as a modification.

I've argued the toss with them 3 times during November before I put on my winters.....They made it perfectly clear then that in March when I change back they need to know else my insurance could be void ..

These aren't second hand stories I'm afraid..Ive been told the same brief by 3 different customer services clowns at Esure!

What can I say..I'll do as I'm told as all calls are recorded with Esure ......I ain't taking any risks based on what others may claim they've read or been told.

Appreciate 0
      02-22-2014, 02:25 PM   #60
DickieGibbo
Lieutenant
England
Rep
Drives: 2016 F32 435dx Msport Plus

Quote:
I agree totally about just tyres but who any more just takes summers off and puts winters on the same wheels especially RFTs

There not bothered if your going from 18s to 17s or 17s to 19s there argument is any change of wheel type from the policy they class as a modification.

I've argued the toss with them 3 times during November before I put on my winters.....They made it perfectly clear then that in March when I change back they need to know else my insurance could be void ..

These aren't second hand stories I'm afraid..Ive been told the same brief by 3 different customer services clowns at Esure!

What can I say..I'll do as I'm told as all calls are recorded with Esure ......I ain't taking any risks based on what others may claim they've read or been told.
I totally agree with what you say above. It is not the tyres it is the wheel change that is the problem.

I am with Privilege Insurance who have noted on my records that I have 18" alloys (from 19" Alloys) with winter tyres. But as soon as I change back to my summer set up, I have to let them know so it does not void my policy. They made no administration charges for this.

TBH I love the look of the 18" Sportline Wheels more than the 19" staggered wheels. But I suppose I will have to change back soon

Dickie
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2014, 02:47 PM   #61
G82Dude
-
Rep
Drives: M4CMxD

Quote:
Maybe, if you're the sort of person that also tells your insurance company if you fit a spoiler!
You should do - it's a [body] modification, and more so than a factory upgrade of 18 to 19" wheels...!

Given that insurance companies try to wriggle as it is, this gives them the potential to void your insurance, even though the addition of a spoiler, different wheels, etc. had no bearing on the claim, no matter how unlikely they are to notice they are not the correct wheels when that car was delivered.

Don't give the thieving insurance companies a chance...

Last edited by G82Dude; 02-22-2014 at 02:58 PM..
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2014, 04:00 PM   #62
teaston
Banned
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by uke92dude View Post
You should do - it's a [body] modification, and more so than a factory upgrade of 18 to 19" wheels...!

Given that insurance companies try to wriggle as it is, this gives them the potential to void your insurance, even though the addition of a spoiler, different wheels, etc. had no bearing on the claim, no matter how unlikely they are to notice they are not the correct wheels when that car was delivered.

Don't give the thieving insurance companies a chance...
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2014, 04:44 PM   #63
DickieGibbo
Lieutenant
England
Rep
Drives: 2016 F32 435dx Msport Plus

Quote:

Appreciate 0
      02-22-2014, 05:37 PM   #64
Tengocity
General
Scotland
Rep

Quote:

So my car's standard wheels are 403M wheels on summer tyres, and this is what it left the factory on, but I bought a BMW winter wheel package from the dealer and these have been on since the car was registered... Which are my original wheels?

My winters are less sexy and less valuable than the summers so why would changing them make any material difference to the insurer?

When I arranged the insurance they never asked me about the wheels, so is it reasonable to expect anyone to think it made a difference?

When I said third hand stories, I meant I've never heard from an actual person about a claim that they made that was rejected over a minor technicality, not what a call centre operative has tried to say will happen!
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2014, 05:41 PM   #65
General
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
So my car's standard wheels are 403M wheels on summer tyres, and this is what it left the factory on, but I bought a BMW winter wheel package from the dealer and these have been on since the car was registered... Which are my original wheels?

My winters are less sexy and less valuable than the summers so why would changing them make any material difference to the insurer?

When I arranged the insurance they never asked me about the wheels, so is it reasonable to expect anyone to think it made a difference?

When I said third hand stories, I meant I've never heard from an actual person about a claim that they made that was rejected over a minor technicality, not what a call centre operative has tried to say will happen!
Lol never thought about until reading that, when I sorted my deal and ordered the car, it includes Bmw winter driving package ( included in discount ) so it's on my order and will be on invoice.
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2014, 05:43 PM   #66
teaston
Banned
No_Country
Rep

Quote:

This is my point, situations like yours and similar ones are completely common place, so for the insurer to say you're not insured would mean many many cars on the road are also not insured.

It's just another of those laws/rules that technically is right but nothing will happen if you don't obey, just like parking with 2 wheels on the pavement and cycling on the pavement, virtually everybody does it.
Appreciate 0