F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > Regional Forums > UK > Going from 18'' to 19''
ARMA SPEED

02-23-2014, 07:40 AM   #89
teaston
Banned
No_Country
Rep
Drives: X3 M40d

Quote:
Originally Posted by uke92dude View Post
And this is the point that is being made! If your modifications are subtle - a £100 M3 spoiler on the boot, etc., it is unlikely to make much, if any, difference, but the decision to validate your insurance and continue cover is theirs and theirs alone. You are not in a position to decide on what is and isn't a significant modification and is likely to affect your premium. You simply run that risk if you don't tell them. That's all!
But then i go back to my previous point, and the reason i don't tell them, which is when using confused.com if you tick the box saying it's modified then many insurers don't even provide a quote, which could mean the annual premium could be hugely more expensive, because of a mod that would not even affect getting a payout!
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2014, 07:46 AM   #90
G82Dude
-
Rep
Drives: M4CMxD

Quote:
Originally Posted by teaston View Post
But then i go back to my previous point, and the reason i don't tell them, which is when using confused.com if you tick the box saying it's modified then many insurers don't even provide a quote, which could mean the annual premium could be hugely more expensive, because of a mod that would not even affect getting a payout!
OK, so one more... Yup, hear what you are saying dude, the choice is yours and you're right, it automatically excludes many insurers from quoting, but there's a way round that - find the cheapest on CompareTheConfusedMeerkatSupermarket without mods and then go to that insurer directly and try it with your mods... If it's a risk you're willing to take by not declaring them, then by all means take it. But don't get in a tizz one day when they refuse a claim because you put larger wheels on ya motor!
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2014, 07:55 AM   #91
teaston
Banned
No_Country
Rep

I'm not saying everyone should do as i do, or do as you do, i'm simple making the point that it's not the case that you have to tell insurers about every mod.

Just as because it's illegal to speed doesn't mean you should never speed, or parking with wheels on the curb, or cycling on the pavement, or smoking cannabis, or lying on a personal injury claim, sex in a public place etc etc etc, there are many rules in life that are not black and white, you just have to work out your own way of making the rules work for you, without hurting others.

As i say, each to their own.
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2014, 08:25 AM   #92
G82Dude
-
Rep

Quote:
I'm not saying everyone should do as i do, or do as you do, i'm simple making the point that it's not the case that you have to tell insurers about every mod.

Just as because it's illegal to speed doesn't mean you should never speed, or parking with wheels on the curb, or cycling on the pavement, or smoking cannabis, or lying on a personal injury claim, sex in a public place etc etc etc, there are many rules in life that are not black and white, you just have to work out your own way of making the rules work for you, without hurting others.

Ahhh, but you *do* have to tell them! You make the choice on whether or not you *are* going to tell them! That's the difference. And for the record, I don't work for an insurance company, but rather, have an interesting insight into two warring parties, who both have differing views over the same subject matter, yet both believe themselves to be right...

Interestingly, the rules (laws) you cite above are black and white. Criminality is about being caught and then found guilty...!

We all make choices everyday: some bad, some good; but, as I have said many times, it's your choice. Just don't be disappointed with the potential outcome of a [knowingly] bad choice.

And finally... Are you likely to be penalised in moving from 18" to 19" wheels? Highly unlikely, but there is just the teenie tiniest chance that you could be. And that's the risk that you are either happy to accept or you are not.

Last edited by G82Dude; 02-23-2014 at 08:41 AM..
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2014, 08:41 AM   #93
teaston
Banned
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by uke92dude
Quote:

Ahhh, but you *do* have to tell them! You make the choice on whether or not you *are* going to tell them! That's the difference. And for the record, I don't work for an insurance company, but rather, have an interesting insight into two warring parties, who both have differing views over the same subject matter, yet both believe themselves to be right...

Interestingly, the rules (laws) you cite above are black and white. Criminality is about being caught and then found guilty...!

We all make choices everyday; some bad, some good, but, as I have said many times, it's your choice. Just don't be disappointed with the potential outcome of a [knowingly] bad choice.

And finally... Are you likely to be penalised in moving from 18" to 19" wheels? Highly unlikely, but there is just the teenie tiniest chance that you could be. And that's the risk that you are either happy to accept or you are not.
Surely you can't say that no one should ever do any of the things i mentioned above?!

If you do you must be the straightest square in a room full of boxes mate!
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2014, 08:56 AM   #94
General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: xxxx

Quote:

We all make choices everyday: some bad, some good; but, as I have said many times, it's your choice. Just don't be disappointed with the potential outcome of a [knowingly] bad choice.

Ok agreed you have to inform insurance company about all changes.

However a couple of points why do you have to inform them of winter tyres but NOT when you change tyres to different EU weather rating (a,b,c, e etc).

Also everyone that is informing them about alloys, spoilers, are they Also informing about coding the car?

Note coding is modifying your car from factory or dealer built standard.

The last point is probably easier to spot these days if they do a config check.

Yes no one would claim for it, however imagine loosing a claim due to eagle eyed geek checking...

Me, I think it should have more common sense built in, unfortunately all types of insurance is dinosaur territory and rarely reviewed with modern thinking.
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2014, 09:05 AM   #95
G82Dude
-
Rep

Quote:
Surely you can't say that no one should ever do any of the things i mentioned above?!
I do not believe that I did; I have repeatedly said "it's your choice". Your contention is that you think that you are correct in doing so (yet you know it isn't the view of the insurance company) and have need to defend your choice. You do not. It's *your* choice.
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2014, 10:41 AM   #96
JOE YOUNG
SEAL TEAM SIX
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E46 E90 E84 F30 X3G01 LCI

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWSKI View Post
Nice one. Who's your insurer?
Hastings Direct. I also added an M performance twin tip and bin my 320d pea shooter.
Attached Images

02-23-2014, 10:44 AM   #97
JOE YOUNG
SEAL TEAM SIX
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
OK, so one more... Yup, hear what you are saying dude, the choice is yours and you're right, it automatically excludes many insurers from quoting, but there's a way round that - find the cheapest on CompareTheConfusedMeerkatSupermarket without mods and then go to that insurer directly and try it with your mods... If it's a risk you're willing to take by not declaring them, then by all means take it. But don't get in a tizz one day when they refuse a claim because you put larger wheels on ya motor!
You got it right

That's exactly what i did.

Last edited by JOE YOUNG; 02-23-2014 at 10:54 AM..
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2014, 11:07 AM   #98
JOE YOUNG
SEAL TEAM SIX
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tengocity View Post
Have to say, I'm with Teaston on this one really. If an insurer said a modification was made then all they would be likely to do is charge you extra for the modification as per what they would have done should it have attracted an increase in premium upon notification in the first place. Given that car insurance is legally compulsory then it makes no sense for insurers to use any and every trick to avoid paying out when they can. Trading standards, CAB, Which magazine, Watchdog and any other consumer affairs group would have an absolute field day!

I have heard lots of people tell us what their insurers call centre operative told them, but I've still to hear one person come on here and say that they did something minor to their car, then had to claim on their insurance, and had an insurer use this as a reason not to pay out anything at all.

I've heard one person, with a modified car, explain that they themselves made a claim, and the modification did not even come in to the thinking.

This is an argument that would never be won, so as long as everyone is happy with what they do then makes no difference really!

Still would like to know whether the black grilles has put anyone's insurance up or down!
ME!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by J30YAP View Post
I mentioned the grills and spoilers to my Insurer, didn't affect my premium. Most of all, I have piece of mind and can go to sleep at night knowing my pride and joy is covered day and night.
Nice one. Who's your insurer?
      02-23-2014, 11:22 AM   #99
JOE YOUNG
SEAL TEAM SIX
United Kingdom
Rep

I didn't mention this though.
Attached Images

02-23-2014, 11:46 AM   #100
msej449
msej449
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M235i Convertible +LSD 2016

Garage List
This business about winter wheels and tyres and insurers really p****s me off ...

We've gone through two winters of idiot UK insurer reps on the phone saying this is a modification, massive industry complaints that it's not, admission by the UK Insurers that their telephone reps are idiots, and a public declaration that if you change from summer to winter tyres you DO NOT have to tell your insurer.

Just underlines the hopeless incompetence of the insurance industry.
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2014, 11:49 AM   #101
General
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by msej449 View Post
This business about winter wheels and tyres and insurers really p****s me off ...

We've gone through two winters of idiot UK insurer reps on the phone saying this is a modification, massive industry complaints that it's not, admission by the UK Insurers that their telephone reps are idiots, and a public declaration that if you change from summer to winter tyres you DO NOT have to tell your insurer.

Just underlines the hopeless incompetence of the insurance industry.
+1
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2014, 02:39 PM   #102
teaston
Banned
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
I do not believe that I did; I have repeatedly said "it's your choice". Your contention is that you think that you are correct in doing so (yet you know it isn't the view of the insurance company) and have need to defend your choice. You do not. It's *your* choice.
Well i don't think we're ever going to agree on this so no point going on about it!

What's your views on Tengocity's question about the black grills? They are a completely like for like swap, only difference is the colour, so obviously you know what my view is.
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2014, 02:49 PM   #103
nordberg
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F31 330d M Sport

Ffs it's a mod. It doesn't matter how similar it may be to the original part....

There's no room for interpretation - that's the point..
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2014, 03:14 PM   #104
Thackers
Yorkshire Sniper
England
Rep
Drives: F30 320d Sport

Anyone fancy a pint?
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2014, 03:17 PM   #105
General
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thackers View Post
Anyone fancy a pint?
Lol having one at moment
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2014, 03:52 PM   #106
teaston
Banned
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by nordberg View Post
Ffs it's a mod. It doesn't matter how similar it may be to the original part....

There's no room for interpretation - that's the point..
So you're saying for example if you decide to get your wheels refurbished because they've got a bit tatty, and get them painted a different colour then you have to tell your insurance company that?
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2014, 03:55 PM   #107
nordberg
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F31 330d M Sport

Quote:
So you're saying for example if you decide to get your wheels refurbished because they've got a bit tatty, and get them painted a different colour then you have to tell your insurance company that?
By the letter of the law, yes! Afraid so. I certainly don't agree with it, but insurers are notoriously slippery. Check your terms and conditions or give them a speculative phone call...
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2014, 03:57 PM   #108
teaston
Banned
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by nordberg View Post
By the letter of the law, yes! Afraid so. I certainly don't agree with it, but insurers are notoriously slippery. Check your terms and conditions or give them a speculative phone call...
What if you get them refurbished in the same colour?
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2014, 04:44 PM   #109
G82Dude
-
Rep

Quote:
Well i don't think we're ever going to agree on this so no point going on about it!

What's your views on Tengocity's question about the black grills? They are a completely like for like swap, only difference is the colour, so obviously you know what my view is.
Quote:
Quote:
What if you get them refurbished in the same colour?
There's nothing to agree on other than a mod is a mod is a mod. Simply saying "I don't agree with it", "It's wrong" doesn't change the insurance company's stance on it.

Sooooo... you're either being argumentative, mischievous or both!

Insurance companies normally ask you: "if your vehicle has been modified from its original or factory condition". Changing the colour of the wheels, the grilles, etc., etc., etc. meets that criterion. I can't really see why it's so difficult to grasp. What you need to decide ("it's your choice") is whether or not you tell them. However, I think you might be OK if you decide to pop on some snazzy blue dust caps..!
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2014, 04:48 PM   #110
teaston
Banned
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
There's nothing to agree on other than a mod is a mod is a mod. Simply saying "I don't agree with it", "It's wrong" doesn't change the insurance companies stance on it.

Sooooo... you're either being argumentative, mischievous or both!

Insurance companies normally ask you: "if your vehicle has been modified from its original or factory condition". Changing the colour of the wheels, the grilles, etc., etc., etc. meets that criterion. I can't really see why it's so difficult to grasp. What you need to decide ("it's your choice") is whether or not you tell them. However, I think you might be OK if you decide to pop on some snazzy blue dust caps..!
No i'm asking genuine questions to try and further understand this train of thought that you guys have revealed to me.

Do you have to tell them if you get your wheels refurbished the same colour?
Appreciate 0