F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Wheels and Tires -- Sponsored by The Tire Rack > Standard vs XL
ARMA SPEED

09-19-2020, 09:43 PM   #1
Fbmw34
Rep
Drives: f34

Standard vs XL

I was wondering does it matter that I have standard tires vs XL? I have a 18 330 GT and it ask for XL. I do feel a slight vibration when driving Iím wondering if that is because of the tires.
Appreciate 0
      09-20-2020, 09:47 AM   #2
ECTO1
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 F31

XL tires are manufactured to withstand loads and weight pressures higher than that of Standard Load tires of the same size. Hence the name “Extra Load.” Because of this, they tend to be used in situations that require a higher load capacity or better tire safety.

Now if it was me I would have gone with the xl sounds like you have standard tires when you changed or upgraded. Now can this lead to the vibration sure but that may not be the only cause other things check are the tires balanced correctly, are you running the correct psi, did you do an alignment I would start checking these see if they may help if not at least you narrowed down the issue to what may be causing it.
Appreciate 0
      09-20-2020, 11:38 PM   #3
Fbmw34
Rep
Drives: f34

The standard tires came brand new when I bought the car used from BMW. I did all the above, alignment, balance, psi, even got a new driveshaft. Iím thinking it could be the tires. When I test drove the car on the previous tires didnít feel a thing but again short and controlled test drive.
Appreciate 0