F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > General F30 Sedan / F32 Coupe / F36 Gran Coupe Forum > Considering 435i Convertible
GetBMWParts

06-19-2014, 10:42 PM   #1
bacampbe
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2024 Z4 M40i PB

Considering 435i Convertible

BIMMERPOST
     Featured on BIMMERPOST.com
I am considering a 435i convertible, and have a few questions. For a baseline, my wife has a 2012 328i. My current car is a Miata, so it's a pretty big jump, but it's time for something a bit more refined. I'm leaning towards an m-sport with DHP.

-- The top design and trunk access function inspire a "you've got to be kidding me" reaction. I gather the top design is similar to the previous gen 3 series convertible, though, so BMW has some field experience with it. Any thoughts on reliability, rattles, etc?

-- My biggest gripe about the wife's 328 is that the brakes feel mushy to me. They stop just fine, but the peddle is soft with a lot of travel. The 435 I test drove felt similar. Would the m-sport brakes change this?

-- I understand the functional differences between the m-sport and sport-line are the steering wheel, wheel/tires, and possibly an extra oil cooler radiator. Also, you can't get the blind-spot warning thingie. Did I miss anything?

-- The "lower lip" of the m-sport front fascia appears to stick out ahead of the bumper surface. That looks like it would be easily, and easy to scrape on things. Has anyone had problems with this?

-- Is ACC worth it? Will it make my V1 radar detector crazy? I notice the pictures show the radar transducer right below the front license plate. US style license plates hang down further than the skinny euro style plates in all the pics--would that interfere with the ACC? (Texas requires front plates.)

-- has anyone gotten the parking assistance? Does it really work? (Do I lose driver cred for even asking?)
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2014, 01:59 AM   #2
drkeng
Major
Rep
Drives: '18 M4 'vert Tanz Blue

if my car ever comes I could answere some questions better.

I love the brakes on my 335--can't imagine they'd be any worse on a new car.

no major problems with the top in 7 years, although an occasional rattle in the winter.
and I think some piece of insulation/rubber had to be replaced several years ago still under warranty for a noise.

with the top down, there's very little trunk.

I think blind spot warning may be on the '15 M sport
that said, it's not 100%--if the light's on then there's a car, but light off doesn't guarantee no car. same on my wife's XF.
      06-20-2014, 05:08 AM   #3
Hound Passer
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 435i Convertible

I've owned two E93 verts. The top's mechanics are solid. The only "problem" it's ever given me is that at one time on my 1st one it would slam down on the headliner. The dealer fixed it and never has any issue since.

I never keep my cars for longer than 4 years so I can't speak to reliability longer than that.

On the brakes, I believe the M sport upgrades the brakes from the base/lux. Still not true M sport brakes, but better than standard. That was the case in 2011 when I bought my current car. The ones on my E93 are fantastic. Very grippy, firm, and exact. I know the feel you are talking about -- my mom has an X3 which has much more spongy brakes in comparison.

M sport bumper - it's lower than the E93 so, yes, I imagine it will be a scratch magnet. The E93 M sport is just high enough to miss most parking curbs, but I've scraped the bottom of my bumper on some that were a hair higher, even with the front parking sensors. Also high speed bumps are a PITA. You have to slow down to almost 0 or you will hit the street.

I recall that the blind sport warning is now available on M sport.
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2014, 08:19 AM   #4
JasonX4MComp
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2023 X4M Comp

Quote:
Originally Posted by drkeng View Post

no major problems with the top in 7 years, although an occasional rattle in the winter.
and I think some piece of insulation/rubber had to be replaced several years ago still under warranty for a noise.

that said, it's not 100%--if the light's on then there's a car, but light off doesn't guarantee no car. same on my wife's XF.
Correct. The 2015 M Sport's will now have blind spot detection
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2014, 09:11 AM   #5
bacampbe
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by drkeng View Post

That's good to hear about the top. And the trunk space with the top down is comparable to that of my Miata, top up or down. But maybe a bit less convenient.

My wife's car has the blind spot detection. I find it both useful and annoying. I am a bit on the tall side and tend to have blind spot visibility issues in most cars. The 435i seemed better than most (and excellent with the top down), so it's probably less needed there.
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2014, 09:12 AM   #6
bacampbe
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason335iMsport View Post
Correct. The 2015 M Sport's will now have blind spot detection
Ah, I guess if I ordered one now it would likely be a '15, wouldn't it. Do we know all the changes for 2015 yet? (I guess I should do a search for that...)
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2014, 09:27 AM   #7
swamy
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 328i MG/6MT

Abdsolutely love this car! cant afford it so thankful it doesn't come in a stick or i'd bein trouble
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2014, 09:41 AM   #8
warmtoes
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: EBII 435i xDrive

I've had my 435i xDrive for just over a month now and I can say that the brakes are definitely not mushy. Powerful and relative linear once you get used to it. By that I mean if you have weaker brakes it'll seem touchy to start. Having said that, your cab will be heavier than the coupe.

As for the lower lip, it's a problem if you aren't aware of parking barriers, etc. but it's not as bad as my old 135i cabriolet. I used to scrape over bumps but nothing like that so far on my 435i.

Stop considering and order one. You'll love it.
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2014, 10:12 AM   #9
JasonX4MComp
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2023 X4M Comp

Quote:
Originally Posted by bacampbe View Post
Ah, I guess if I ordered one now it would likely be a '15, wouldn't it. Do we know all the changes for 2015 yet? (I guess I should do a search for that...)
Yes it would be. No major changes for MY15 just minor stuff. Bluetooth audio streaming in now standard so the Enhanced USB and Bluetooth is a $500 option. M Sport can now get Blind Spot Detection, Anthracite wood trim, and has a grey alloy wheel option.
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2014, 01:00 PM   #10
bacampbe
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by warmtoes View Post
I've had my 435i xDrive for just over a month now and I can say that the brakes are definitely not mushy. Powerful and relative linear once you get used to it. By that I mean if you have weaker brakes it'll seem touchy to start. Having said that, your cab will be heavier than the coupe.

As for the lower lip, it's a problem if you aren't aware of parking barriers, etc. but it's not as bad as my old 135i cabriolet. I used to scrape over bumps but nothing like that so far on my 435i.

Stop considering and order one. You'll love it.
Thanks!

Do you have the m-sport brakes? (Did I read correctly that the m-sport brakes come standard with the m-sport package in CA?)

I do find the 328 brakes touchy, but I don't think it's due to weak brakes in my car (The Miata brakes are pretty good for its weight, but may be less boosted). There's way more peddle travel in the 328, and they bite before I feel resistance.
Appreciate 0
      06-22-2014, 12:33 AM   #11
warmtoes
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: EBII 435i xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by bacampbe View Post
Thanks!

Do you have the m-sport brakes? (Did I read correctly that the m-sport brakes come standard with the m-sport package in CA?)

I do find the 328 brakes touchy, but I don't think it's due to weak brakes in my car (The Miata brakes are pretty good for its weight, but may be less boosted). There's way more peddle travel in the 328, and they bite before I feel resistance.
Yes, I do have m sport brakes. M package does come with it standard in Canada. Love the brakes and pretty much everything else about the car. Would love to hav a cab again.
Appreciate 0
      06-23-2014, 11:29 AM   #12
punjabimd
Rep
Drives: 435i cvt

Bacampbe good luck with your decision. I'm a first-time BMW costumer and am picking up my 435i convertible in Munich on July 23rd. Upgrading from a 2002 Camry. I can't wait. If you're interested I can post a few cool YouTube videos about the car that I found.
Appreciate 0
      06-23-2014, 04:35 PM   #13
btbossman
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 335xi M sport--2014 M6

Just saw one in EB on the road today for the first time...looked fantastic with the top down.
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2014, 11:15 PM   #14
MiamiBMW
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 435i convertible

I have and love the 435i conv.

Trunk, no complaints, I don't usually lift the whole lid system while the roof is down but have like 2 times.

Acc, not a problem for the v1. I have it and bought savvy to direct connect to the car. With the cab I wanted it so the audio would raise at higher speeds. The v1. Trust me, just get it.

I opted out of the back up sensors, I am not a huge fan of the rear and side camera perspective but it does the job and have not had an issue yet.

Front lip, thanks to this site I have seen some horror stories about front bombers getting cut up or pulled at. Due to this I always try to back I and if I am not able to I make sure I leave enough space so I am not even near the curb. The car is not long enough to stick out.

M brakes. I did get them and they have a great response have not had to slam on them but like knowing they are there.

Note, I did get the MPPK and very glad I did. Highly recommend.

Good luck.
Appreciate 0
      06-25-2014, 11:14 AM   #15
mike@x-ph.com
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
United_States
Rep

Drives: 07-335/12-328/18-M4/21-M4CP

i like it
Unfortunately for me, i live in Vegas so its not a very good idea to get a convertible.
But if i lived in Miami,California it wouldnt even think twice about it.

Phone number 702-494-9435
Appreciate 0