F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > B58 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications > B58 metallic fluttering sound
ARMA SPEED

10-04-2019, 07:36 PM   #1
daac
Private
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2016 340i Xdrive Msport

B58 metallic fluttering sound

BIMMERPOST
     Featured on BIMMERPOST.com
Hey everybody. 2016 340i xDrive I bought it about a year ago with one year left on the warranty and 20000 km on the engine. For the first six months all was nice I love the sound of the engine and the exhaust I drove with the windows down everyday. At about the 6-month mark and 25000km I started to develop a ticking or fluttering sound when giving 30 to 60% throttle between 1000 and 3000 RPM which is pretty much where it's driven 80% of the time around town. It could only be heard with the passenger side window down and driving next to something that would reflect the sound back into the vehicle. It continued to increase as time went on. I tried changing from 91 octane to 94 Chevron or shell v-power and it made no difference. The sound is most noticeable on cold start idle and in the first 15 minutes of driving it does quiet down a little bit when the engine is warm but is still quite loud. I took it into the dealership a few months ago to have a broken exhaust valve spring replaced and ask them to look into possible noisy injectors and they said that everything was normal. Couple days ago I took the car in for its last warranty oil service and requested a test drive with the lead hand technician in the shop. During the test drive he commented that he could definitely hear the noise I was referring to and was thinking it could have something to do with a loose wastage or other turbo issue. To compare engine sounds we took out another 440i with the b-58 to see how it sounded. The 440 sounded just like mine did when I first bought it no metallic flutter nice and smooth and sporty. The car has since been in their shop for about 4 days unfortunately they have not tracked down the source of the metallic flutter but they definitely agree there is an issue there I will report back their findings when I know.
If anybody else has experienced this please comment.

On a side note this has unfortunately prevented me from installing my new KW SC coilovers that were scheduled to go in two days after the service so I had to cancel the appointment.
Appreciate 0
      10-04-2019, 09:11 PM   #2
daac
Private
Canada
Rep

Update. Dealer just called said they traced it to vant valve that circulates emissions. EGR valve? Hopefully it fixes the noise. I will report back once the repair is complete
Appreciate 0
      10-04-2019, 10:54 PM   #3
azuritschwarz
First Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2007 E90 335i, 2016 F80 M3

Garage List
2017 BMW 440i Coupe  [0.00]
2006 BMW 330i  [0.00]
2007 BMW 335i  [0.00]
2016 BMW M3  [0.00]
Sorry for your luck, keep us updated! The B58 has been pretty solid for the most part!
2006 E90 330i 6MT Arctic Metallic/Lemon White Leather (SOLD)
Appreciate 0
      10-04-2019, 11:06 PM   #4
drivef30
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 17' 340i xDrive M-Sport

I believe I hear the same sound on mine. Loaner 40i didnt do it (I havnt talked to the dealer about this noise though, i was in for another issue). Please keep us posted, as my car does it under the same conditions.
Appreciate 0
      10-05-2019, 06:42 PM   #5
neonnblack
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 335i 6MT/e46 330xi

Does your sound also not increase or decrease with rpm? Im having a massively similar issue in my 340i.

Like you, it's only really audible with windows down and next to a wall or something that reflects the sounds back. I always thought mine was coming from the rear of the car but sounds do travel.
Appreciate 0
      10-05-2019, 06:59 PM   #6
neonnblack
First Lieutenant
Rep

Wonder if they're talking about the evap valve for the fuel tank...
Appreciate 0
      10-06-2019, 12:05 AM   #7
daac
Private
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by neonnblack View Post
Does your sound also not increase or decrease with rpm? Im having a massively similar issue in my 340i.

Like you, it's only really audible with windows down and next to a wall or something that reflects the sounds back. I always thought mine was coming from the rear of the car but sounds do travel.
it was def coming from the front right exhaust side louder and not sure if the frequency was with the engine rpm but volume is with the throttle. I was told they fixed it today so i will pick it up tomorrow and let you know
Appreciate 0
      10-06-2019, 09:07 AM   #8
neonnblack
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by daac View Post
Quote:

it was def coming from the front right exhaust side louder and yes the frequency was with the engine rpm and volume with the throttle. I was told they fixed it today so i will pick it up tomorrow and let you know
Okay, mine is static it's constantly the same regardless of rpm.
Appreciate 0
      10-07-2019, 12:09 AM   #9
daac
Private
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

it was def coming from the front right exhaust side louder and yes the frequency was with the engine rpm and volume with the throttle. I was told they fixed it today so i will pick it up tomorrow and let you know
Okay, mine is static it's constantly the same regardless of rpm.
got the car back noise is still there.
Appreciate 0
      10-07-2019, 04:47 AM   #10
BMWILUVU
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 340ix

Quote:
Post a video so we can hear.
Appreciate 0
      10-08-2019, 12:57 PM   #11
daac
Private
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWILUVU View Post
Quote:
ok here's a video clip of mostly my hand but the audio is pretty clear the fluttering noise I am referring too. Hard to tell if the frequency increases with engine RPM. I was driving next to concrete dividers with the passenger side window down

So back to shop it goes today. I will update when I have some info.
Appreciate 0
      10-10-2019, 02:02 AM   #12
vinzcast21
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F30 340i MY2017

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
ok here's a video clip of mostly my hand but the audio is pretty clear the fluttering noise I am referring too. I was driving next to concrete dividers with the passenger side window down

sounds like the exhaust flap rattle
Appreciate 0
      10-10-2019, 05:11 PM   #13
daac
Private
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinzcast21 View Post
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
ok here's a video clip of mostly my hand but the audio is pretty clear the fluttering noise I am referring too. I was driving next to concrete dividers with the passenger side window down

sounds like the exhaust flap rattle
no it's not the exhaust flap fixed that one already. def from the engine
Appreciate 0
      10-14-2019, 12:46 AM   #14
daac
Private
Canada
Rep

got my car back for a second time all they did was make some adjustments to some metal shielding around the air filter and did an ECU reprogram and said they couldn't hear it anymore. took it out for a drive sound is still there left it at the dealership. hopefully third time is a charm but it doesn't seem like they're interested in replacing any parts to fix the issue. I have a funny feeling it's just noisy injectors but the noisiest you've ever heard.
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2019, 12:03 AM   #15
daac
Private
Canada
Rep

Quote:
got my car back for a second time all they did was make some adjustments to some metal shielding around the air filter and did an ECU reprogram and said they couldn't hear it anymore. took it out for a drive sound is still there left it at the dealership. hopefully third time is a charm but it doesn't seem like they're interested in replacing any parts to fix the issue. I have a funny feeling it's just noisy injectors but the noisiest you've ever heard.
Update. I received a text from the SA saying that after they made the adjustment the noise the lead head mechanic was troubleshooting was gone and it seemed like they weren't going to do anything about it. Then they received another 340i with similar year and kilometres as mine for a service and they used it to help diagnose the sound. I imagine it didn't have it cause they have now put in a request for a warranty repair on the turbo. So that's 2 B58's they have driven that don't make the clackity noise mine does. We will see where this leads.
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2019, 01:37 PM   #16
RoIIouT
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2016 340i xDrive M-Sport

I have this same issue. 40k miles... seems to only be when car is cold? Or at least that I have noticed. Please keep us posted!
Appreciate 0
      10-22-2019, 01:39 AM   #17
ajrocklin
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW 340i MSport

'16 340i same noise on cold startup and for first few miles, afaik. (i always drive with windows up) Going to pay more attention to it now, I'll report back in a few days.

Edit: 26k miles
Appreciate 0
      10-29-2019, 06:53 PM   #18
daac
Private
Canada
Rep

UPDATE: BMW called today said the new turbo is installed and road tested. They say the metallic flutter noise is gone! They are going to keep it over night and take a final road test in the morning to make sure it's good on a cold start. It's been near freezing here in the mornings so should be a good test. Keeping my fingers crossed on this one cause they've said this before but still I'm excited it's been 3 weeks.
Appreciate 0
      10-30-2019, 06:11 PM   #19
daac
Private
Canada
Rep

got the car back just drove it home and the mettalic flutter is gone and I couldn't be happier. I can enjoy the sweet sound of the i6 again. time to get the kw's installed!

edit: just want to add that the technician said it was the turbo wastegate that was the issue
Appreciate 0
      11-02-2019, 08:02 PM   #20
RoIIouT
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2016 340i xDrive M-Sport

Quote:
got the car back just drove it home and the mettalic flutter is gone and I couldn't be happier. I can enjoy the sweet sound of the i6 again. time to get the kw's installed!

edit: just want to add that the technician said it was the turbo wastegate that was the issue
Do you know, or did he say if it was harmful, or just annoying?
Appreciate 0
      11-02-2019, 10:37 PM   #21
daac
Private
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoIIouT View Post
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoIIouT View Post
Quote:

He didn't say. The word from the SA was the lead hand said the waste gate was acting up. Don't really know what he meant by that. It didn't sound like the vids I watched of the waste gate issues the older 335's so not sure. It could be in my head but it does feel like there's a little more low end pull. To me it sounded like an exhaust leak so maybe the waste gate wasn't sealing properly.
Appreciate 0
      08-21-2020, 09:13 AM   #22
StannisBaratheon
Private
Rep
Drives: 2016 340i Xdrive

Just came across this thread and I've experienced the same noise since I've owned my 2016 340i. It's been to the dealer before for wastegate ticking noise on cold start (it's more noticeable in cold weather) but BMW said it's normal.

Car is going back to the dealer next week for inspection and low coolant so maybe they can look at this fluttering noise again.
Appreciate 0