F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Navigation, iDrive, Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Phone, Cameras, Electronics > Android 11 / 12 /13 HU discussion
GetBMWParts

01-12-2022, 04:40 AM   #265
RedErik
Colonel
Scotland
Rep
Drives: E63 645Ci

Garage List
2004 E63 645Ci  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by aizen79 View Post
Thanks..
Format for the pics in the archive…? Tried .jpeg….no logo files..
File format is .elf

You need to ask your seller to compile you these. We don't have any tools for that as these files need to match Android's encryption key.
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2022, 12:02 AM   #266
Aussie_550i
Private
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2011 550i, 2017 430i

I have a Snapdragon 662 unit (https://www.alibaba.com/product-deta...ff662fc2HpDIKo) in my F10 and am trying to get the Bluetooth to connect to an OBDII Bluetooth dongle.

The Android BT see's when it scans, but is unable to connect to it. I am using a VeePeak BLE+.

If I go into the Android settings and navigate to Devices, it does not show anything, no does Bluetooth Pair (BT app from play store). The app keeps telling me that Bluetooth is off and to allow it to start it, but it never does.

I can see the HU's BT on my phone though.

Has anyone been able successfully do this and if so, what OBDII scanner did you use?

Hopefully some had success in doing this.

Thanks in advance.
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2022, 01:22 AM   #267
RedErik
Colonel
Scotland
Rep

Garage List
2004 E63 645Ci  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aussie_550i View Post
I have a Snapdragon 662 unit (https://www.alibaba.com/product-deta...ff662fc2HpDIKo) in my F10 and am trying to get the Bluetooth to connect to an OBDII Bluetooth dongle.

The Android BT see's when it scans, but is unable to connect to it. I am using a VeePeak BLE+.

If I go into the Android settings and navigate to Devices, it does not show anything, no does Bluetooth Pair (BT app from play store). The app keeps telling me that Bluetooth is off and to allow it to start it, but it never does.

I can see the HU's BT on my phone though.

Has anyone been able successfully do this and if so, what OBDII scanner did you use?

Hopefully some had success in doing this.

Thanks in advance.
Bluetooth on these devices is intentionally locked so you cannot connect anything else but a phone. There is a workaround but not guaranteed to work https://f30.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh...6#post26713116
Appreciate 1
      01-17-2022, 02:58 AM   #268
NxTH
AH3 Owner
Rep
Drives: BMW 335i ActiveHybrid 3

Garage List
Does HUD (navigation/radio,BT/calls) work with android, or do I need to use the built-in idrive for the HUD to work? If so, then the whole unit is pretty pointless.
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2022, 05:04 AM   #269
RedErik
Colonel
Scotland
Rep

Garage List
2004 E63 645Ci  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nico- View Post
Does HUD (navigation/radio,BT/calls) work with android, or do I need to use the built-in idrive for the HUD to work? If so, then the whole unit is pretty pointless.
Android doesn't support HUD at all.
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2022, 05:06 AM   #270
Aussie_550i
Private
Australia
Rep

Thanks RedErik.. thats crap!

I'll read up on what you linked and come back to let you know if I succeed or not. I have gone back to the supplier and am awaiting their response.
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2022, 05:58 AM   #271
sahalin2022
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 F25

I installed on my bmw (BMW X3 F25 NBT) HU Android 11 sd 662 6/128g. Settings:
- HU Android uses original bluetooth
- my Android phone is connected to my bmw hu via bluetooth
- Android HU version: Ksw-R-M600_OS_v.1.5.2 / MCU 023055dGS-NBT-GTH-DC-210223

I have the following problem:
- when people call to my phone, the Android will immediately switch to BMW HU
- I answer the call with the button on my phone
- I also end the call with the button on my phone
- Android stays in bmw HU after end of call
- to switch to Android, I need to make a tap on the Android screen
- after that, there is a switch to Android, and all programs that were running are closed. And I have to restart them.

If I call other people from my phone, there is no switching to BMW HU and after the call ends, I do not need to restart running programs.

When I am talking on a my phone via BMW HU bluetooth, I want the Android HU not to switch to the BMW HU and all running programs are not terminated.

Please help me to solve the above problem
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2022, 08:18 AM   #272
sahalin2022
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 F25

Freeform Apps

On Android 11, I did split the screen like this:
Name:  photo_2022-01-17_21-00-16.jpg
Views: 2177
Size:  41.2 KB
This can be done using the function - Freeform:
Name:  photo_2022-01-17_21-00-19.jpg
Views: 2199
Size:  28.2 KB
To do this, in the "Developer options" you need to activate:
Name:  photo_2022-01-17_21-00-12.jpg
Views: 2156
Size:  34.5 KB

Changing the position and size of application windows is not very easy.

Maybe tell me how to automate this process when the android starts?

And it would be nice to be able to run multiple pairs of applications depending on the situation...
Appreciate 1
Kri1083.50
      01-18-2022, 12:53 AM   #273
Aussie_550i
Private
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedErik View Post
Bluetooth on these devices is intentionally locked so you cannot connect anything else but a phone. There is a workaround but not guaranteed to work https://f30.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh...6#post26713116
RedErik - Thank you for the direction. It worked as outlined. The only difference I noticed was that once I had paired the OBDII, it appeared as though I couldn't connect to it again, but the software I am using (Bimmerlink) connected straight to the OBDII adapter.

Thanks once again!
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2022, 11:52 AM   #274
aakash2aki
Rep
Drives: 2014 bmw f30 msport

Hi, have anyone tried this blade screen, please let me know if someone have pics that have been posted here
It says 12.3 in screen
There are many on aliexpress too

F30 3 Series 4+64G 12.3" IPS Screen Display Monitor Android 10 GPS Navigation Audio Video Stereo Multimedia Player https://www.amazon.com/dp/B09D9F8T58...ing=UTF8&psc=1
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2022, 12:08 PM   #275
RedErik
Colonel
Scotland
Rep

Garage List
2004 E63 645Ci  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by aakash2aki View Post
Hi, have anyone tried this blade screen, please let me know if someone have pics that have been posted here
It says 12.3 in screen
There are many on aliexpress too

F30 3 Series 4+64G 12.3" IPS Screen Display Monitor Android 10 GPS Navigation Audio Video Stereo Multimedia Player https://www.amazon.com/dp/B09D9F8T58...UTF8&psc=1
It's hard to tell what exactly that is - that's my first and biggest issue. We could assume this is Snapdragon 625, but might be a fake as well. Second is the price - for that money you can get Snapdragon 662 6GB RAM 128GB storage Android 11. Third would be the shape - why G05 style? Imo this doesn't suit F30, it unnecessarily elevates the screen.
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2022, 06:51 PM   #276
E90ROXS
Captain
Rep
Drives: E90

I have the new Avin Android 11 HU. The Wifi toggle keeps switching to OFF every time the device turns back on. The same behavior with Google Assistant. Device goes through the Google Assistant setup screen when I enable "Hey Google" hot word but it switches to OFF when the setup completes. Hope someone can help me with this.
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2022, 04:47 AM   #277
RedErik
Colonel
Scotland
Rep

Garage List
2004 E63 645Ci  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by E90ROXS View Post
I have the new Avin Android 11 HU. The Wifi toggle keeps switching to OFF every time the device turns back on. The same behavior with Google Assistant. Device goes through the Google Assistant setup screen when I enable "Hey Google" hot word but it switches to OFF when the setup completes. Hope someone can help me with this.
Not sure about Google Assistant, but if you're WiFi is always off disable Zlink in the Factory Settings (if you don't use it for CarPlay / Android Auto).
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2022, 05:11 AM   #278
vkocheganov
Rep
Drives: bmw f30

Hi guys, have installed android 11 4/64 (from EBILAEN) on my f30 (hu_entry) a week ago. Everything so far seems to work properly however, there is one issue.

Previously I have upgraded car audio with external amplifier with DSP and used to connect my phone via aux to OEM head unit and then to amplifier on high-level signal.

But then I had tested USB DAC that has optical output (via toslink directly to external amplifier with optical input). Since then I prefer to use optical connection against AUX, as sound quality so much better. But the problem was that I could not use steering wheel buttons to control volume or skip track, could control only from the source in this case phone.

I thought if I install android head unit I could cope with the problem, I mean I could enjoy hi quality music and could control it through steering wheel.

However, when I had installed I was little upset. Not everything came out as I hoped.

For instance, I had connected USB DAC (fiio k3) to android head unit and from DAC via toslink to my amplifier. Sound was good, much better than AUX. But volume level still couldn't be controlled from steering wheel.

I guess that volume buttons control volume level on OEM head unit and not the android head unit.

I have tested volume buttons can work if I stream signal from android to OEM head unit via aux and then from OEM head unit high-level signal to external amplifier, but I lose so much sound quality.

Surprisingly, when I use connection via USB DAC and toslink at least I can scroll tracks on steering wheel.

Can someone help me overcome problem with volume control on steering wheel. Is there a way to make them control volume on android head unit as well (not just OEM head unit) or is there any other solution, for example app for button assignment or some coding?

Thanks for reading all that.
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2022, 05:43 AM   #279
RedErik
Colonel
Scotland
Rep

Garage List
2004 E63 645Ci  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by vkocheganov View Post
Hi guys, have installed android 11 4/64 (from EBILAEN) on my f30 (hu_entry) a week ago. Everything so far seems to work properly however, there is one issue.

Previously I have upgraded car audio with external amplifier with DSP and used to connect my phone via aux to OEM head unit and then to amplifier on high-level signal.

But then I had tested USB DAC that has optical output (via toslink directly to external amplifier with optical input). Since then I prefer to use optical connection against AUX, as sound quality so much better. But the problem was that I could not use steering wheel buttons to control volume or skip track, could control only from the source in this case phone.

I thought if I install android head unit I could cope with the problem, I mean I could enjoy hi quality music and could control it through steering wheel.

However, when I had installed I was little upset. Not everything came out as I hoped.

For instance, I had connected USB DAC (fiio k3) to android head unit and from DAC via toslink to my amplifier. Sound was good, much better than AUX. But volume level still couldn't be controlled from steering wheel.

I guess that volume buttons control volume level on OEM head unit and not the android head unit.

I have tested volume buttons can work if I stream signal from android to OEM head unit via aux and then from OEM head unit high-level signal to external amplifier, but I lose so much sound quality.

Surprisingly, when I use connection via USB DAC and toslink at least I can scroll tracks on steering wheel.

Can someone help me overcome problem with volume control on steering wheel. Is there a way to make them control volume on android head unit as well (not just OEM head unit) or is there any other solution, for example app for button assignment or some coding?

Thanks for reading all that.
Steering wheel volume control only controls the OEM volume. Android doesn't process that information at all. Otherwise it would be a complete mess as you would be simultaneously adjusting volume of two devices.

There is nothing surprising that the track control works as intended. It has nothing to do with sound output / processing etc. It's completely independent.

Your issue is that by connecting Android directly to your amp, you're bypassing volume control that comes with the OEM unit. In theory you could use Tasker or Automate (if volume control is actually detected by Android) and create a task/rule/automation script that every time you adjust volume on the steering Android volume will be adjusted. As I said that creates a big issue as with that you are actively adjusting sound volume of both system. If you then switch to OEM again you might be blasted with high volume.

There is no workaround for it as you are completely bypassing any OEM control with your solution. Most people here if they use an external DAC they would connect it between the Android and OEM AUX input - that gives them control over Android's volume or rather AUX volume on the OEM unit.
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2022, 06:07 AM   #280
vkocheganov
Rep

Quote:
Steering wheel volume control only controls the OEM volume. Android doesn't process that information at all. Otherwise it would be a complete mess as you would be simultaneously adjusting volume of two devices.

There is nothing surprising that the track control works as intended. It has nothing to do with sound output / processing etc. It's completely independent.

Your issue is that by connecting Android directly to your amp, you're bypassing volume control that comes with the OEM unit. In theory you could use Tasker or Automate (if volume control is actually detected by Android) and create a task/rule/automation script that every time you adjust volume on the steering Android volume will be adjusted. As I said that creates a big issue as with that you are actively adjusting sound volume of both system. If you then switch to OEM again you might be blasted with high volume.

There is no workaround for it as you are completely bypassing any OEM control with your solution. Most people here if they use an external DAC they would connect it between the Android and OEM AUX input - that gives them control over Android's volume or rather AUX volume on the OEM unit.
So quick responce! Appreciate!

Thanks for sharing your thoughts.
Will try to Tasker/Automate (the questions which triger to use, i mean how to find whether volume button or for eaxample 1-8 radio buttons affect android so they can be used as triggers).

Regarding the risk of beeng blasted in OEM didn't thought before. but i think if oem menu put in aux setting min volume, that can solve the issue. Or completely mute, as i think there is no need any soudn from oem in case of hu-entry if you have Android HU.

Kindly thanks for direction
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2022, 06:15 AM   #281
RedErik
Colonel
Scotland
Rep

Garage List
2004 E63 645Ci  [0.00]
Quote:
So quick responce! Appreciate!

Thanks for sharing your thoughts.
Will try to Tasker/Automate (the questions which triger to use, i mean how to find whether volume button or for eaxample 1-8 radio buttons affect android so they can be used as triggers).

Regarding the risk of beeng blasted in OEM didn't thought before. but i think if oem menu put in aux setting min volume, that can solve the issue. Or completely mute, as i think there is no need any soudn from oem in case of hu-entry if you have Android HU.

Kindly thanks for direction
Install KeyEven Display app from Play Store, open it up, press volume buttons / scroll volume wheel and see what (if anything) is happening on the screen. If there is any respons you should see a KeyEvent code. Then you can use this specific KeyEvent code to trigger tasker to adjust Android's volume up or down.
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2022, 12:31 AM   #282
vkocheganov
Rep

Quote:
Install KeyEven Display app from Play Store, open it up, press volume buttons / scroll volume wheel and see what (if anything) is happening on the screen. If there is any respons you should see a KeyEvent code. Then you can use this specific KeyEvent code to trigger tasker to adjust Android's volume up or down.
Hi RedEric!

Yesterday had tested your proposal. As you suggested, there is no response to volume buttons/scroll unfortunatly.

However, there is a response to some other buttons (please see attachment).

And I thought, why not use idrive scroll to change volume, since it does almost nothing in Android menu (in oem menu it does not needed to be scrolled for miless). Thus if use Idrive scroll to change volueme, for example one tick = 1% (or so) this will deal the job for me. I know it sounds very "Chinese" (don't get me wrong I do not offence any nation, just questioning why not make the android head unit more user friendy streght away, as it has that pontencial?).

Other buttons, for example idrive left/right make dimmer the creen, center button play/pause music and etc...

Inspired by the findings tried to make macro in Taser, but couldnt find how to use button press as profile (trigger). Googled it, but still couldn't find the way yet.

Can you please direct me again, share links or give example?

Thanks for your time and ideas.

Kind regards,
Vlad
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      01-21-2022, 01:50 AM   #283
RedErik
Colonel
Scotland
Rep

Garage List
2004 E63 645Ci  [0.00]
Quote:
Hi RedEric!

Yesterday had tested your proposal. As you suggested, there is no response to volume buttons/scroll unfortunatly.

However, there is a response to some other buttons (please see attachment).

And I thought, why not use idrive scroll to change volume, since it does almost nothing in Android menu (in oem menu it does not needed to be scrolled for miless). Thus if use Idrive scroll to change volueme, for example one tick = 1% (or so) this will deal the job for me. I know it sounds very "Chinese" (don't get me wrong I do not offence any nation, just questioning why not make the android head unit more user friendy streght away, as it has that pontencial?).

Other buttons, for example idrive left/right make dimmer the creen, center button play/pause music and etc...

Inspired by the findings tried to make macro in Taser, but couldnt find how to use button press as profile (trigger). Googled it, but still couldn't find the way yet.

Can you please direct me again, share links or give example?

Thanks for your time and ideas.

Kind regards,
Vlad
Well if you don't use your controller for anything else then I guess this is some kind of a solution (you're clearly not using my keyboard 🤣 ). The only problem with that will be dual action in Android. If you rotate left for example, you will not only decrease volume with your Tasker scrip, but also trigger typical for Android behaviour and response to a KeyCode being sent. Tasker doesn't allow you to "reprogram" your buttons but to assign a second function to them, so each button / action would have 2 function.

As for the Tasker itself, I have no clue. I opened Tasker only once in my life, played with it for 3min and closed to never open again. However as an app developer I noticed that Tasker script is not that far from writing code in Java using Android APIs. Having that in mind, typical Java code to handle any KeyEvents would look something like that:

@Override
public boolean onKeyUp(int keyCode, KeyEvent event) {
    switch (keyCode) {
        case KeyEvent.KEYCODE_DPAD_DOWN:
            volume(DOWN);
            return true;
        case KeyEvent.KEYCODE_DPAD_UP:
            volume(UP);
            return true;
        case KeyEvent.KEYCODE_DPAD_LEFT:
            screenBrightness(INCREASE);
            return true;
        case KeyEvent.KEYCODE_DPAD_RIGHT:
            screenBrightness(DECREASE);
            return true;
        default:
            return false;
    }
}

@Override - this declaration tells Android that you will handle what comes next, not the system
public boolean - public (i.e. seen system wide) ture/false value
onKeyUp - function that handles button when you release it (as opposed to when you press it as these are two different events)
int - integer (number valve) of KeyCode
event - name of KeyEvent (like KEYCODE_DPAD_UP)
switch / case - bigger 'if / then' statement
volume(direction) - another function that you would have to write to handle volume control
screenBrightness(direction) - another function that you would have to write to handle screen brightness
return true - confirmation that you have handled the event
return false - you let Android handle any other events than stated in your onKeyUp code

From Tasker perspective you can ignore @Override and definitely structure of the script will be different. Instead of creating your own function for volume and brightest, you can pull them directly from Tasker's library.
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2022, 04:46 AM   #284
nobuno
Private
Rep
Drives: 535I 335I

We will send you a link for the new firmware, 1.8.9!

https://www.filemail.com/d/zaenaqvktpssyyz

You can download it only for 5 days including the posting date.
Appreciate 4
Shamanix138.00
RedErik1023.50
Kri1083.50
      01-22-2022, 07:47 AM   #285
Kri
Major
Austria
Rep
Drives: E87

Quote:
Originally Posted by nobuno View Post
We will send you a link for the new firmware, 1.8.9!

https://www.filemail.com/d/zaenaqvktpssyyz

You can download it only for 5 days including the posting date.
thanks, the OTA is from 23rd december 2021, i`ll do a little file check next week.

Kri
Appreciate 1
nobuno46.50
      01-27-2022, 03:56 AM   #286
krisE91
Rep
Drives: BMW E91 LCI

Does anybody have a link for Netflix APK which will work with this resolution 1280x480.

Thanks in advance for any help
Appreciate 0