F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Navigation, iDrive, Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Phone, Cameras, Electronics > Andream MMI Box - Wireless CarPlay & Android Auto
Extreme Powerhouse

01-20-2022, 01:07 PM   #9615
Mati24
France
Rep
Drives: BMW M2 2016

Hello,

I'm currently trying to install the MMI box in my M2, but I don't find where to put it. I think I can put it below the NBT EVO HU (see the attachment file), but I fear that the HU become too warm
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      01-20-2022, 01:36 PM   #9616
RAAF12
Lieutenant
Netherlands
Rep
Drives: 320i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mati24 View Post
Hello,

I'm currently trying to install the MMI box in my M2, but I don't find where to put it. I think I can put it below the NBT EVO HU (see the attachment file), but I fear that the HU become too warm
The HU has an regulated fan inside , so don't block the air intake! You easily see the fan when the HU is removed. I did mount the MMI on the low point and use foam for protection. My first concern was to lead the cables gently in place without pressure to the connectors. Do this very carefully if the MMI box don't fit and try again with the cables neat behind the box. And move the antenna (s) to the front, left of the HU behind the dash.

edit: I see you have Harman, that would be complex. Use a bright light and search om the right hand side for enough spare room. Good luck!

Last edited by RAAF12; 01-20-2022 at 01:42 PM..
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2022, 01:51 PM   #9617
muniz_ri
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 320I

Quote:
Hello,

There is a small nook between the HU and the glove box. The mmi will fit there.

There is a Bimmertech video on YT showing the placement.
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2022, 02:17 PM   #9618
Eldewy
Enlisted Member
Germany
Rep
Drives: Mini Clubman F54 2016

Quote:
Originally Posted by den525 View Post
One slightly off topic question... since i updated for the first time since i bought andream 18 months ago... and I hid the usb plug pretty well... now I remembered there's a USB plug there... does anyone use that as a charging port?

Enough power?

Ps... i don't use the in car one as it's a little faulty... it keeps charge, stop charging, charge and makes that iphone charging beep constantly.
I use it all the time for charging. Used to charge my Poco F2 Pro pretty fast, then I switched to an iPhone 12, which was charged fast enough that I actually connected the port to a wireless charger that I built in the armrest and even wireless it still charges pretty good.

The beauty about this is that all the cables are run hidden inside/under the center console and pop inside the armrest so I have zero visible cables dangling in the car itself.
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2022, 03:11 PM   #9619
sizanx
Private First Class
Denmark
Rep
Drives: BMW F36 420d Gran Coupé

Quote:
Hello,

Remove the glovebox, there is space to the right where you can mount it:
(2:31)

You can also try to do like, I couldn't do it without removing the glove box:
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2022, 03:59 PM   #9620
sambir
Netherlands
Rep
Drives: F54 LCI 306HP & F54 SD 190HP

so i received a roadtop B2 and i have issues trying to connect to wireless carplay. I connect the phone and get a popup if i want to use carplay. I agree and on the left i see carplay icon very shortly and it disconnects again. I even updated the FW to B2R164t and it didnt help. Am i doing something wrong? Wired carplay works fine.
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2022, 04:27 PM   #9621
RAAF12
Lieutenant
Netherlands
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by sambir View Post
so i received a roadtop B2 and i have issues trying to connect to wireless carplay. I connect the phone and get a popup if i want to use carplay. I agree and on the left i see carplay icon very shortly and it disconnects again. I even updated the FW to B2R164t and it didnt help. Am i doing something wrong? Wired carplay works fine.

I'll need to set up a Bluetooth connection first. It looks like Carplay838400 and a pass.

Tell exactly what you did to manage a connection?
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2022, 04:36 PM   #9622
sambir
Netherlands
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by RAAF12 View Post
I'll need to set up a Bluetooth connection first. It looks like Carplay838400 and a pass.

Tell exactly what you did to manage a connection?
I have OEM carplay in my car, so im used to the steps. Im trying to test this box on the bench.

Its connected to an entrynav on the bench. The box boots up fine, i connect to the bluetooth just like I do in the car and then it ask to share contacts, and if i want to use wireless carplay I accept them all.

shortly after that i see the Carplay logo on the left top of the screen for a milisecond and its gone again... Its like it wants to boot but crashes.

Airplay works fine, and if i connect the phone via usb carplay opens up fine and works without any problems. Only wireless carplay just wont start. It starts and stops directly.

I am able to restart the connection process by starting airplay and closing it again. This triggers the MMI start carplay again. Then I again see the carplay icon very shortly on the left top corner and it tries to setup carplay resulting in a crash..or some sort..it just wont start.
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2022, 04:45 PM   #9623
Mati24
France
Rep
Drives: BMW M2 2016

Quote:
Originally Posted by sizanx View Post

You can also try to do like, I couldn't do it without removing the glove box:
Behind;the glovebox seems to be the only way indeed, thanks for your answers, I’ll try that
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2022, 06:31 PM   #9624
RAAF12
Lieutenant
Netherlands
Rep

Quote:
I have OEM carplay in my car, so im used to the steps. Im trying to test this box on the bench.

Its connected to an entrynav on the bench. The box boots up fine, i connect to the bluetooth just like I do in the car and then it ask to share contacts, and if i want to use wireless carplay I accept them all.

shortly after that i see the Carplay logo on the left top of the screen for a milisecond and its gone again... Its like it wants to boot but crashes.

Airplay works fine, and if i connect the phone via usb carplay opens up fine and works without any problems. Only wireless carplay just wont start. It starts and stops directly.

I am able to restart the connection process by starting airplay and closing it again. This triggers the MMI start carplay again. Then I again see the carplay icon very shortly on the left top corner and it tries to setup carplay resulting in a crash..or some sort..it just wont start.
I don't know what went wrong. I'll suggest to try another phone. I did use older phones like Apple iPhone 5 and Oneplus6 and all works well with wireless connection. What phone do you use?

Last edited by RAAF12; 01-20-2022 at 07:44 PM..
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2022, 02:26 AM   #9625
Kyokushin
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: F32 428i, F32 420i

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrx3n0n10 View Post
Just installed B_V1.6.5 on my Andream NBT02B unit, seems that Left/Right Scrap is no longer working on Carplay. Tried rebooting, resetting and re-pairing already.

Anyone else experiencing this?
I am on this version, what do you mean by left/right scrap?
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2022, 02:43 AM   #9626
mrx3n0n10
Registered
Rep
Drives: Mini Cooper F56

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyokushin View Post
I am on this version, what do you mean by left/right scrap?
There are a few settings available (Left/Right/Top/Bottom Scrap) to make the screen smaller in case you have a screen with rounded corners (like in my Mini). I need this because otherwise for example the clock in the top left corner is cut off.
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2022, 06:00 AM   #9627
sambir
Netherlands
Rep

Quote:
I don't know what went wrong. I'll suggest to try another phone. I did use older phones like Apple iPhone 5 and Oneplus6 and all works well with wireless connection. What phone do you use?
I used 3 different iphones

Iphone xs max
Iphone xs
Iphone se

Now ik contacting roadtop they sent me new fw tried it and the issue is still there maybe its a hardware thing…
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2022, 06:17 AM   #9628
RAAF12
Lieutenant
Netherlands
Rep

Quote:
I used 3 different iphones

Iphone xs max
Iphone xs
Iphone se

Now ik contacting roadtop they sent me new fw tried it and the issue is still there maybe its a hardware thing…
Yes, can't be sure, it's tested and approved before leaving the factory. But if see a glipse of a connection it looks to me as a broken handshake. The unit connected but 'sees'no proper password and rejected. Did you use 1234 as a pass? For my unit there was an outstanding user manual link on the website of the seller. Maybeyou must clear all previous BT connections on phone and do a BT/Factory reset of the MMI box. Did you get in touch by email with the seller? I know AIOCOIA has fast e-mail reponse, I only ask for newer software and are helpfull, they also know witch software is the best for your device. Sometimes newer items in menu will introduce new bugs. People are sometimes stupid and thinks latest SW is always the best. I don't think so.
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2022, 08:32 AM   #9629
sambir
Netherlands
Rep

Quote:
Yes, can't be sure, it's tested and approved before leaving the factory. But if see a glipse of a connection it looks to me as a broken handshake. The unit connected but 'sees'no proper password and rejected. Did you use 1234 as a pass? For my unit there was an outstanding user manual link on the website of the seller. Maybeyou must clear all previous BT connections on phone and do a BT/Factory reset of the MMI box. Did you get in touch by email with the seller? I know AIOCOIA has fast e-mail reponse, I only ask for newer software and are helpfull, they also know witch software is the best for your device. Sometimes newer items in menu will introduce new bugs. People are sometimes stupid and thinks latest SW is always the best. I don't think so.
I received the latest fw B2R165 and latest MCU.

So while wireless carplay was not working, wired was working fine. Since i installed the latest version it did not fix the issue and introduced a new issue where trimming of the sides for apple carplay isnt working.... so like you said latest sw does not mean it is the best..

So the RoadTop engineer is trying to find a solution now. I think its an hardware issue for sure.
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2022, 04:54 PM   #9630
sizanx
Private First Class
Denmark
Rep
Drives: BMW F36 420d Gran Coupé

Quote:
Originally Posted by Firefly1337 View Post
I managed to extract the .bin using the official script and repack it again.
In the isp.c only the signature needs to be changed: (thx Laurens0619 )
Code:
const u08 file_header_signature[] = "Gemini_ISP_image";
After recompiling ('make') it worked for me using the 'extract4tftpupdate' function.
That will split each partition into multiple files: TFTP0000.BIN contains the flash script for that single partition and any subsequent file (TFTP00xx.BIN) will be a 2MB chunk of that partition.
I wrote a script that will extract and merge each partition back into a single file:

Code:
#!/bin/bash

PARTITIONS="uboot2 env env_redund ecos kernel rootfs spsdk spapp nvm pq logo tcon iop_car runtime_cfg vi isp_logo vendordata pat_logo version_info vd_restore anm_logo";

mkdir partitions;

for part in $PARTITIONS; do
        echo $part;
        ./isp_gemini extract4tftpupdate ISPBOOOT.BIN $part $part
        rm partitions/$part;
        rm $part/TFTP0000.BIN;
        cat $part/TFTP* > partitions/$part;
        rm -rf $part;
        echo "";
done;
Afterwards the local dir 'partitions/' should contain all partitions.
Only problem now are uboot and xboot partitions. It will only extract 'uboot2', so we are missing 'xboot1', 'xboot2', 'uboot0' and 'uboot1'.
They are not extracted because according to the comments in the isp.c script they are never flashed to the unit.
But you still need it for the file, of course.
uboot1 and uboot2 are identical, so they can just be copied.
The other boot partitions can be extracted from the original .bin file using dd.

Once you finally have all the partitions back together, this is the partition table and repack command:
Code:
./isp_gemini pack_image ISPBOOOT.BIN \
    xboot0 uboot0 \
    xboot1 0x100000 \
    uboot1 0x100000 \
    uboot2 0x100000 \
    env 0x80000 \
    env_redund 0x80000 \
    ecos 0x800000 \
    kernel 0x600000 \
    rootfs 0x5A0000 \
    spsdk 0x34E0000 \
    spapp 0x1400000 \
    nvm 0x1000000 \
    pq 0x20000 \
    logo 0x200000 \
    tcon 0x20000 \
    iop_car 0x200000 \
    runtime_cfg 0x100000 \
    vi 0x20000 \
    isp_logo 0x500000 \
    vendordata 0x40000 \
    pat_logo 0xD00000 \
    version_info 0x20000 \
    vd_restore 0x40000 \
    anm_logo 0x600000
The resulting .bin file is almost identical to the original file.
Why almost? While the flashing script at the end is mostly the same and even all the md5 checksums perfectly match, the NAND flash commands are different.

The original .bin has them like this:
Code:
nand write.bblk $isp_ram_addr $isp_nand_addr 0x8800
While the new one has this:
Code:
bblk write bblk $isp_ram_addr $isp_nand_addr 0x8800
So either this does not matter and is just a different syntax - or the public code uses a newer/different version of u-boot/xboot, which we don't have :/

Thoughts?
I've managed to extract the partitions by modifying the .sh script slightly by swapping a line in the script, as using it as is doesn't extract some partitions for me (env env_redund nvm anm_logo).

I haven't used "dd" before and can't seem to figure out how to extract uboot0, xboot0, xboot1 and xboot2, as I don't know how many bytes to skip and read etc. Can anyone give a hint/help me?
HTML Code:
dd if=ISPBOOOT.BIN xboot1 bs=1024 skip=0 read=1024?
Lastly, in isp.c on line 380 I changed

HTML Code:
nand erase.chip
nand bad
to
HTML Code:
setenv isp_block_size 0x${nand_erasesize}
nand erase 0 0x8a00000
nand bad
Would it be enough to avoid bricking the unit?
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2022, 07:20 PM   #9631
fe7565
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 BMW 328i N26

Quote:
Originally Posted by sizanx View Post
[url]]
While you have the glovebox out consider what you will do with the USB, etc connections from the MMI and the HU: https://f30.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1887184
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2022, 07:25 PM   #9632
fe7565
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:

You said you have a bench test setup with the HU taken from the car. Are you sure all your CAN BUS signals are there? There are other components that communicate via CAN with the HU even if the combox is contained inside the HU (most NBT and EVO).

Last edited by fe7565; 01-21-2022 at 07:39 PM..
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2022, 10:32 PM   #9633
fe7565
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SebbiSt View Post
As written in post #9259 I am facing the reboot issue with the new version as well. Please let me know once you find a solution here.
I have the HDMI version (probably B2 version), very similar to AbnormallyAspirated and do not have any rebooting issues nor other issues. I bought is used and did not upgrade anything yet. I used Carplay mostly. Do not have (do not need) YouTube. May want to check into downgrading safely. Unfortunately, cannot tell for sure who made/sold this unit.

Only problem I had was AA shown skewed with an old Android phone on my retrofit OEM F15 10.25" screen but switched to a Pixel 3 and no issues at all.
Still figuring best sound setup.

https://f30.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh...postcount=9480

My current firmware is this:

Last edited by fe7565; 01-22-2022 at 12:47 AM..
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2022, 11:53 PM   #9634
MJBO
Major
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2023 G81 M3 Touring

Garage List
Installed my MMI unit today, and all went fairly smoothly. Getting the quad lock in and out of the HU without removing the other connectors was a bit of a challenge, and getting the HU back in with all the extra cabling behind took some work, but it’s all in and looks to be working well. I removed the glovebox and mounted it to the side as recommended in the Kies install video.

Audio is super crisp through the quad lock AUX, and phone calls seems to be fine through the factory mics. System boots up and connects very quickly to my iPhone 13 Pro.

Love being able to control CarPlay using the rolling wheel on the steering wheel!

I forgot to take a photo of it, but my unit is bright blue and includes an HDMI port. I’ve never seen a blue one before, I ordered it from an eBay seller here in Australia (got here in just a few days).
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      01-22-2022, 05:33 AM   #9635
MJBO
Major
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2023 G81 M3 Touring

Garage List
Here's a slightly out-there question. My understanding is the newer MMI units support touchscreen functionality if you car is so equipped.

Does anyone think I be able to fit one of the newer touchscreen displays to my car to enable touch in CarPlay? Obviously it wouldn't work in iDrive. I have a 2014 M4 with the original NBT unit, so I'm thinking it my not be compatible at all.
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2022, 06:09 AM   #9636
Kyokushin
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: F32 428i, F32 420i

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJBO View Post
Here's a slightly out-there question. My understanding is the newer MMI units support touchscreen functionality if you car is so equipped.

Does anyone think I be able to fit one of the newer touchscreen displays to my car to enable touch in CarPlay? Obviously it wouldn't work in iDrive. I have a 2014 M4 with the original NBT unit, so I'm thinking it my not be compatible at all.
I do not know the answer for what you asked - but i also though about the touchscreen. I considered update to evo etc. but finally i gave up with that and bought the MMI for NBT.

After one year of using that i can say it was a good shot and i do not need touchscreen at all because using that from the iDrive and siri is much better than trying to touch something on the screen during drive.
I have clean screen, without fingering and automatically when i enter the car the music is playing and Waze is turned on.

Thats my opinion about the touchscreen in that specific car and use case - i dont have it and finally don't need it.
Finally i bougt the similar box to wife's E92 with CCC and its working in same way and also she told me she don't need touchscreen. (i also had an option to buy aftermarket screen with touch and remove original ccc one).
Appreciate 1
fe7565552.50