F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > B58 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications > 340i / 440i (B58) BMW M Performance Power and Sound Kit (MPPSK) Official Release
GetBMWParts

10-28-2017, 03:33 PM   #793
Zero.7
Colonel
Rep
Drives: F30 340i AW M-Sport

I picked up my car last night. Oh my! I've heard and seen many videos on the MPPSK, but hearing this in your own car and seeing how it looks....blew me away!! I came from an e90 with the PE, and loved that (valve opened 100% of the time). But this MPPSK is that and MORE.

First off, I am so glad I went with the carbon tips. Cost a bit more, but IMO, well worth it. Secondly, the sound is so intoxicating when in Sport mode. I do like the fact that IF/when you just want to be more stealth, you can just switch to comfort mode and she just hums nicely, rather than growls. The snaps, crackles and pops are as nice as advertised! They will bring a smile to your face each time they sound off. For me, I know it's not just a phase (something new effect) b/c I've had the PE on my e90 sport with the BMW PPK1 tune for close to five years and NEVER got tired of hearing the burbles from the exhaust.

As for performance, the gains are noticeable IMO. The car just pulls harder, although stock was pretty darn good already. The greatest difference of course is the sound of the car, but the performance gains are definitely there.

I will try to put a video together with my friend, who has an M2 with the upgraded M exhaust.

Bottom line for me: the MPPSK just transforms your car into something entirely different. I had fun driving my 340i before, but it's just an entirely different experience now. Not an inexpensive upgrade, but if you can budget for it...DO IT! You won't regret it IMO.

Now I just have to decide which diffuser to go with...BMW Perf diffuser or the Arkym...??

'16 f30 AW 340i M-sport
8-speed Auto
BMW ///M Performance Power and Sound Kit with Carbon Tips / Gloss Black Performance grilles

Last edited by Zero.7; 10-29-2017 at 04:48 PM..
Appreciate 1
Beek707.00
      11-08-2017, 03:45 PM   #794
harperium
Major
Rep
Drives: G80 M3cx

I just traded in a '15 320i xDrive and leased a '17 340i xDrive. It has the Sport Line, but did not come with the MPPSK.

At the time I thought, why do I need more power?? I love the B58 engine - it dominates the experience of the 340, in a good way, and it has such a great sound.

Then I came across this thread and watched the videos of the MPPSK in action...

And now I have an appt in 6 days to have the MPPSK installed. Of course, I have already leased the car, so this is purely an out of pocket expense. I have 36 months to enjoy it.

You Only Live Once, right?

I will report back next week
Appreciate 0
      11-08-2017, 10:48 PM   #795
Beek
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: Most folks crazy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by harperium View Post
I just traded in a '15 320i xDrive and leased a '17 340i xDrive. It has the Sport Line, but did not come with the MPPSK.

At the time I thought, why do I need more power?? I love the B58 engine - it dominates the experience of the 340, in a good way, and it has such a great sound.

And now I have an appt in 6 days to have the MPPSK installed. Of course, I have already leased the car, so this is purely an out of pocket expense. I have 36 months to enjoy it.

11-09-2017, 12:59 PM   #796
Blubaron79
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 M340i xDrive

Question: is there a new engine cover for the Power and Sound Kit like the old MPPK on the N55?

Previous: '18 340i xDrive; '15 335 xDrive; '14 435i xDrive; '09 335 E92 xDrive
Appreciate 0
      11-09-2017, 01:40 PM   #797
harperium
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blubaron79 View Post
Question: is there a new engine cover for the Power and Sound Kit like the old MPPK on the N55?
No, they just put an M Performance sticker on the existing cover
Appreciate 1
Blubaron791434.50
      11-11-2017, 06:21 AM   #798
cmplaya
Captain
Rep
Drives: B58

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zero.7 View Post

I picked up my car last night. Oh my! I've heard and seen many videos on the MPPSK, but hearing this in your own car and seeing how it looks....blew me away!! I came from an e90 with the PE, and loved that (valve opened 100% of the time). But this MPPSK is that and MORE.

First off, I am so glad I went with the carbon tips. Cost a bit more, but IMO, well worth it. Secondly, the sound is so intoxicating when in Sport mode. I do like the fact that IF/when you just want to be more stealth, you can just switch to comfort mode and she just hums nicely, rather than growls. The snaps, crackles and pops are as nice as advertised! They will bring a smile to your face each time they sound off. For me, I know it's not just a phase (something new effect) b/c I've had the PE on my e90 sport with the BMW PPK1 tune for close to five years and NEVER got tired of hearing the burbles from the exhaust.

As for performance, the gains are noticeable IMO. The car just pulls harder, although stock was pretty darn good already. The greatest difference of course is the sound of the car, but the performance gains are definitely there.

I will try to put a video together with my friend, who has an M2 with the upgraded M exhaust.

Bottom line for me: the MPPSK just transforms your car into something entirely different. I had fun driving my 340i before, but it's just an entirely different experience now. Not an inexpensive upgrade, but if you can budget for it...DO IT! You won't regret it IMO.

Now I just have to decide which diffuser to go with...BMW Perf diffuser or the Arkym...??
welcome to da club
Appreciate 0
      11-11-2017, 06:23 AM   #799
cmplaya
Captain
Rep

Quote:

the power is subtle but the sound is obvious...if you're into that stuff its definitely worth it
Appreciate 0
      11-13-2017, 08:40 PM   #800
harperium
Major
Rep

My MPPSK install is tmrw... I've watched every YouTube video 6 times at this point

Meanwhile I'm on the Build Your Own for a 2018 340i... and I do not see any option or package or reference to the MPPSK. When I leased my 340 2 weeks ago, I was not aware of the MPPSK - had I known about it, I would have tried to get the dealer to install it before I signed.

None the less, how do people order 340i's with the MPPSK?
Appreciate 0
      11-14-2017, 12:01 AM   #801
ishowerinjager
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2017 340i M Performance Editio

Quote:
My MPPSK install is tmrw... I've watched every YouTube video 6 times at this point

Meanwhile I'm on the Build Your Own for a 2018 340i... and I do not see any option or package or reference to the MPPSK. When I leased my 340 2 weeks ago, I was not aware of the MPPSK - had I known about it, I would have tried to get the dealer to install it before I signed.

In Canada it's called the m performance pack 1 and 2. It's literally just an option you select like heated seats etc.

Pack 2 gets you the tune and exhaust.

I'm not sure what it's called in the US
2017 340i M Performance Edition: Fashion Grey, MPPSK, M performance front splitter, rear diffuser, side sills, black grille, CF spoiler, 405M 20s, 8AT, full Marino interior and dash, adaptive suspension
Appreciate 0
      11-14-2017, 04:22 AM   #802
swagon
Major General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: F80 6MT

Does anyone run the MPPSK with them valves open all the time?
      11-14-2017, 07:05 AM   #803
harperium
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ishowerinjager View Post
In Canada it's called the m performance pack 1 and 2. It's literally just an option you select like heated seats etc.

Pack 2 gets you the tune and exhaust.

I'm not sure what it's called in the US
On the 2018 340 Build Your Own, those options don't exist today. I don't even see the Track Package. They have these Tiers - Premium, Executive (only for RWD)... Weird.
Appreciate 0
      11-14-2017, 11:10 AM   #804
Araemo
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2017 340iX 6MT

Quote:

Work with your sales advisor. They can look up the option codes to do port install of m performance parts.
Appreciate 0
      11-14-2017, 02:55 PM   #805
Beek
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: Most folks crazy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by swagon View Post
Does anyone run the MPPSK with them valves open all the time?
I do. Naturally MPPSK is louder than stock but it's only LOUD when I want it to be.

Last edited by Beek; 11-14-2017 at 03:08 PM..
Appreciate 0
      11-14-2017, 03:34 PM   #806
harperium
Major
Rep

Back from the dealer, MPPSK installed!

They gave me a 10% discount on the parts, since I asked, but it was still a chunk o' money. North of $4K.

I've only driven about 10 miles so far. First impressions:

Semi-cold start. It gets your attention. The car is ON and ready to rumble.

Comfort mode: great sound at idle, from outside. It has a deeper pitch. When you press on the gas a bit, it's definitely louder than non-MPPSK Comfort, but not obnoxious. A wolf in sheep's clothing. More low-end grunt in the 1000-2000 rpm range - the 11% power increase is noticeable.

Sport mode: Forget the sheep's clothing, it's an angry wolf. Louder than expected, burbles when I let off the gas, cracks and pops if I let off the gas after having mashed it. The drone while cruising is loud at first, but I got used to it. You know you're in Sport mode. You feel it; you hear it. The B58 MPPSK sounds great at all RPMs. It vocalizes the aggression you feel when driving it.

Did not have a chance for WOT and a 0-60 run.

I would never have said the 340i non-MPPSK was lacking power, but I would not want to give up that extra 11% now. The extra low-end grunt is nice.

It feels like a different car. Closer to an "M340i" than a 340i in spirit. It has attitude that you feel and hear. It's visceral, and puts a smile on your face. (Not that I would ever buy an "M" sticker and put it on, but I saw a car that was badged "M340i" last week. No judging.)

The MPPSK tailpipes are larger in diameter and actually stick out the back a little farther - see the photos. The outdoor one is BEFORE, the parking garage is AFTER. And man oh man driving inside a parking garage feels like your Darth Vader.

I have no doubt Significant Other will promptly notice the noise and ask if the muffler is damaged. I'll just say it's Sport mode and will not tell her how much I spent on a noisy 35 hp. She drives an Accord. Enough said. Thank God BMW engineered Comfort MPPSK mode to be quieter than Sport otherwise her complaining would probably be louder than the exhaust.

Merry Christmas to myself early Totally thrilled with MPPSK so far!
Attached Images

Appreciate 2
Beek707.00
TBN54426.50
      11-14-2017, 03:58 PM   #807
harperium
Major
Rep

additional MPPSK photos
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      11-15-2017, 10:44 AM   #808
harperium
Major
Rep

Further thoughts after 200 miles of mixed driving:

Sport Displays
The max 400 number is still there, but the values change. I saw the max HP at either 355 or 366 - it was dark and I couldn't quite tell. I assume it's programmed to say 355 b/c that is the official number.

Cold start
Loud for 10 to 20 seconds. Others have said that some V8's are louder. I can only say that this is way louder than the 320/328 and non-MPPSK 340. There will be no sneaking away for a drive at 3 AM.

Comfort mode
Should be renamed to Comfort+ or Sport-

Not only is there more throttle response, esp. at the low end, but there more noise. You step on the gas a bit and hear a baritone grumble from the exhaust. It's a good sound, but it's definitely not the same Comfort as before. You give up some quiet in the cabin for more power and sound.

From BMW's chart of the power and torque curves, the increase starts at 1500 rpm, and it's noticeable. I don't know whether they also changed the throttle mapping for Comfort, but the whole experience is an improvement.

Sport mode
Aggressive and loud. The car is responsive and engaging in every kind of driving.

Except for cruising on the highway, in which case the drone of the exhaust is there. And it's louder than wind and tire noise. If you have passengers, it will annoy them. Of course, if you are driving aggressively, that will also annoy them.

I received a call while in Sport mode on the highway, and the caller could hear the exhaust drone and asked what the noise was.

The good news is, a flick of the switch back to Comfort and mostly quiet. And another flick of the switch back to the Dark Side of the Force.

Takeaways
Comfort mode is more fun.

Sport mode is more deliberate. Something to switch on with intent, and then to switch off when done. Not for cruising and enjoying music; or when other people are in the car.

It's an expensive upgrade. Worth it? For me, yes.

It really does change the personality of the car, and it will change the way you drive it.

Would be sad to live in a world with only electric cars. The experience of driving a rumbling, talking engine is so much more engaging. Enjoy it while it lasts.

Last edited by harperium; 11-15-2017 at 10:51 AM..
Appreciate 4
      11-15-2017, 11:46 AM   #809
cmplaya
Captain
Rep

nice summary. i keep revving it at lights just to hear it

Quote:
Further thoughts after 200 miles of mixed driving:

Sport Displays
The max 400 number is still there, but the values change. I saw the max HP at either 355 or 366 - it was dark and I couldn't quite tell. I assume it's programmed to say 355 b/c that is the official number.

Cold start
Loud for 10 to 20 seconds. Others have said that some V8's are louder. I can only say that this is way louder than the 320/328 and non-MPPSK 340. There will be no sneaking away for a drive at 3 AM.

Comfort mode
Should be renamed to Comfort+ or Sport-

Not only is there more throttle response, esp. at the low end, but there more noise. You step on the gas a bit and hear a baritone grumble from the exhaust. It's a good sound, but it's definitely not the same Comfort as before. You give up some quiet in the cabin for more power and sound.

From BMW's chart of the power and torque curves, the increase starts at 1500 rpm, and it's noticeable. I don't know whether they also changed the throttle mapping for Comfort, but the whole experience is an improvement.

Sport mode
Aggressive and loud. The car is responsive and engaging in every kind of driving.

Except for cruising on the highway, in which case the drone of the exhaust is there. And it's louder than wind and tire noise. If you have passengers, it will annoy them. Of course, if you are driving aggressively, that will also annoy them.

I received a call while in Sport mode on the highway, and the caller could hear the exhaust drone and asked what the noise was.

The good news is, a flick of the switch back to Comfort and mostly quiet. And another flick of the switch back to the Dark Side of the Force.

Takeaways
Comfort mode is more fun.

Sport mode is more deliberate. Something to switch on with intent, and then to switch off when done. Not for cruising and enjoying music; or when other people are in the car.

It's an expensive upgrade. Worth it? For me, yes.

It really does change the personality of the car, and it will change the way you drive it.

Would be sad to live in a world with only electric cars. The experience of driving a rumbling, talking engine is so much more engaging. Enjoy it while it lasts.
Appreciate 0
      11-27-2017, 05:40 AM   #810
funkahdafi
First Lieutenant
Germany
Rep
Drives: Z4 (E89) sDrive 35is

I want the additional performance of the kit, but not the noise. Any chance? Can this be coded somehow?
Appreciate 0
      11-27-2017, 07:14 AM   #811
bimmer456
Major General
Rep
Drives: 340i

Quote:
Originally Posted by funkahdafi View Post
I want the additional performance of the kit, but not the noise. Any chance? Can this be coded somehow?
It has less noise in comfort mode but you wouldn't want to get the mppsk and drive in that mode. You won't mind the sound of the exhaust imo. I do wish they had an exhaust button that's independent of performance though like on the new mustang though I would think opening and closing a flap to half the exhaust would have some impact on performance.
Appreciate 0
      11-27-2017, 07:59 AM   #812
Araemo
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2017 340iX 6MT

Quote:
It cannot be coded, there is a reflash for the DME included, in addition to the coding changes (and I didn't see many coding changes due to the VO change, when I played around with NFD/CAFD tool).

Quote:
Originally Posted by bimmer456 View Post
It has less noise in comfort mode but you wouldn't want to get the mppsk and drive in that mode. You won't mind the sound of the exhaust imo. I do wish they had an exhaust button that's independent of performance though like on the new mustang though I would think opening and closing a flap to half the exhaust would have some impact on performance.
I use comfort mode whenever I'm not driving like an asshole. I think it still has more torque and a more aggressive map in comfort with MPPSK than without.

I have also noticed that the exhaust has gotten louder (even in comfort) since I originally got the car 24k miles ago. Not a ton, but it has more of a rumble and boom even in comfort now. The latest software update has made the pops/bangs on engine braking more common/ridiculous, at least in sport mode.

I agree in principal though - if I had the option, I would have gotten the reflash without the exhaust. Despite that, I do still sometimes pop it into sport when I'm going under an overpass or tunnel, and really get on it.
Appreciate 0
      11-27-2017, 08:41 AM   #813
funkahdafi
First Lieutenant
Germany
Rep
Drives: Z4 (E89) sDrive 35is

Quote:
It has less noise in comfort mode but you wouldn't want to get the mppsk and drive in that mode. You won't mind the sound of the exhaust imo.
What makes you say that? From all I have read and heard so far, the exhaust is very loud.

I wish there was an option to just get the performance. Like they used to offer with the old performance kits.

Oh well.
Appreciate 0
      11-27-2017, 09:29 AM   #814
bimmer456
Major General
Rep
Drives: 340i

Quote:
Quote:
It has less noise in comfort mode but you wouldn't want to get the mppsk and drive in that mode. You won't mind the sound of the exhaust imo.
What makes you say that? From all I have read and heard so far, the exhaust is very loud.

I wish there was an option to just get the performance. Like they used to offer with the old performance kits.

Oh well.
I drove it at the UDE and it was awesome just loud enough. Not obnoxious or anything like that.
Appreciate 0