F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > B58 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications > MAF reading 1000+ lb/min??
GetBMWParts

12-18-2022, 11:44 AM   #1
CoolATIGuy
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: '16 340i 6MT xDrive

Question MAF reading 1000+ lb/min??

2016 340i x-drive, 6MT, M Sport, ~126,000 miles

As I understand it, the MAF should peak at ~45 lb/min under WOT. I am getting super high readings, up to 1000 lb/min or more..

93 (E13) log on Bootmod3 Multimap Stage 2+ (little 4th gear pull, WOT, DSC fully off): https://datazap.me/u/coolatiguy/boot...50-51-52-53-54

My MAF and MAF HFM at idle (~700 rpm) are reading 12 lb/min on multimap stage 2+. That is way higher than it should be as I understand it. If you rev and then let off throttle, when the rpms have dropped it goes down to 8 lb/min for a half second, then goes back to 12 lb/min and stays there.

I unplugged the MAF sensor on the air intake, which stopped MAF HFM from reading, but MAF still reads 12 lb/min at idle and jumps way up (hundreds of lb/min) when revving in neutral.

I flashed back to stock tune in Bootmod3. Readings are still high. Once the RPM's settle, MAF reading bounces back and forth a bit between 8 lb/min and 12 lb/min (but nothing in between), and finally settles on 8 lb/min and stays there at idle with engine warmed up

A. I understand MAF HFM channel reading comes from the sensor on the air intake, and unplugging that sensor disables an MAF HFM reading, but why does the MAF channel still output when that sensor is unplugged? Where does the MAF channel reading come from since it's apparently different from MAF HFM?

B. Any thoughts on why my MAF and MAF HFM would be reading way, way high? It's high at idle, and very very very high with throttle. As I understand it, it should max out at WOT around 45 lb/min - why would I be getting up to 1000+ lb/min? And could that be the cause of my other issues as you can see from my log (dip in the middle, short term fuel trims drop immediately from 1.07 to 1.00, afr jumps up, hpfp dips a bit, maf dips, boost dips, and it also held at 3972 rpms for an extra frame)

On E30 mix, I am also getting drivetrain malfunctions, codes thrown (152518, 120408, 153300, 153305, 153306), and issues during WOT pulls when it hits the point where my car dips in my logs

Parts:
- BootMod3 (have used stock map and MultiMap Stage 2+)
- BMS intake
- ctless dp
- B58TU HPFP
- PTF Flex Fuel Kit
- NGK Spark Plugs (gapped to 0.022", all 6 recently installed)
- H&R lowering springs
- Front radiator (including rock guards) replaced/installed this past April, with OEM
- Coolant in both reservoirs topped off
- Four new Pilot Sport All Season 4 tires installed recently
- Previous owner said he replaced the clutch with new stock clutch sometime before I purchased it, so probably ~2 years ago I would guess
- Everything else should pretty much be stock
Appreciate 0
      12-19-2022, 08:14 AM   #2
CoolATIGuy
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: '16 340i 6MT xDrive

FIXED:

I reach out to PTF and Halim just fixed Bootmod3. Apparently Bootmod3 has been outputting the wrong values, it was displaying MAF in kg/h instead of lb/min…

He said the laptop agent is already updated, the phone app will be updated soon. So download your updates
Appreciate 0