F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Navigation, iDrive, Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Phone, Cameras, Electronics > Amp upgrade while keeping surround upmix / Logic 7
proTUNING Freaks

Today, 06:06 PM   #1
m4shifter
Rep
Drives: F82

Amp upgrade while keeping surround upmix / Logic 7

I am looking to upgrade my current HK (S688a) 16-speaker setup but having read most threads here back and forth, I don't think there is a solution to my dilemma.

The challenge: I most definitely want to retain Logic 7 / HK-Amp. The reason is in a car setup with exhaust, road noise, etc., achieving home theatre grade audio fidelity, to me, is unfortunately a second priority compared to immersiveness of upmix surround sound (I'm sure many audiophiles will cringe at this). I'd argue that whilst I'm driving, I find it harder to appreciate the naunces of the audio but I can definitely easily appreciate some upmix surround music.

I don't think there is any aftermarket upmix solutions that provide similar results to Logic7 / DTS / Dolby Pro, especially with the MS-8 now discontinued with no clear successor.

Someone has done before:
https://www.educarmag.com/educar-mag...ic-7-in-a-bmw/

And the same guy also mentioned this in a subsequent, unrelated post here:
https://www.linkedin.com/pulse/new-f...th-ward-tejzc/

where an aftermarket amp (in this case Audison) takes upmixed hi-level input coming from the HK amp.

My questions are:

1/ Is this considered a viable / argubly sensible approach to retain Logic7?

2/ Is there any other aftermarket dsp/amp that does surround sound upmixing? Helix offers "RealCenter" but I'm more after surround effects.

3/ I'd still want a 1-seater and 2-seater tune though, not sure if this is possible while retaining Logic7.

4/ Separately, I am not planning to add a "party sub" but rather looking to upgrade the underseat woofer. Believe Billfitz has been advocating Earthquake as the only worthy upgrade if there is no additional subwoofer. I'm not sure if the relatively recently released Morel is also a good replacement now?

5/ Given the perference above, I'd imagine something like an Audison 12.14 BIT (getting high level input from HK amp) paired with C4D / M4D for the 2 underseat subs might make sense.

6/ I have read various bits and pieces on how Logic7 works, but I can't seem to find much information on how Logic7 works on BMW F-series? I am pretty sure I read somewhere that the upmixing changes in real time based on driving conditions as well (unrelated to ASD inputs)?
Appreciate 0
      Today, 06:22 PM   #2
Arthurrs
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2017 430i xdrive Gran Coupe

You may want to have a serious look at the m0bridge K2 8.1.1 DSP amplifier as an alternative to the Audison. The beauty of this option is that it is taking it's signal source directly from the digital MOST bus, and does so preserving the Logic 7 signals, as well as all the vehicle warning sensors/navigation/telephone as separate "sinks" in the mix that you can assign to any output. It is a very unique option that offers this all in one box.

The challenge anyone faces in using the speaker level outputs as the inputs to an aftermarket system, is that any speaker correction processing that the factory provides within the amp, needs to be counteracted by any equalization that you wish to apply additionally to get a decent response from your after market speakers, should you choose to go this route. Less is more.
      Today, 06:34 PM   #3
m4shifter
Rep
Drives: F82

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arthurrs View Post
You may want to have a serious look at the m0bridge K2 8.1.1 DSP amplifier as an alternative to the Audison. The beauty of this option is that it is taking it's signal source directly from the digital MOST bus, and does so preserving the Logic 7 signals, as well as all the vehicle warning sensors/navigation/telephone as separate "sinks" in the mix that you can assign to any output. It is a very unique option that offers this all in one box.

The challenge anyone faces in using the speaker level outputs as the inputs to an aftermarket system, is that any speaker correction processing that the factory provides within the amp, needs to be counteracted by any equalization that you wish to apply additionally to get a decent response from your after market speakers, should you choose to go this route. Less is more.
Ah - I think I got confused - thinking the upmixing is done in the HK Amp, and the signal from MOST will be stereo (e.g. from CarPlay). Are you saying the signal coming from the MOST bus is already upmixed? So something like m0bridge or Match Up 10DSP will retain the Logic7 signals?

What you said makes sense re neutralisng the speaker correction processing from factory.

Last edited by m4shifter; Today at 07:08 PM..
Appreciate 0