F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > General F30 Sedan / F32 Coupe / F36 Gran Coupe Forum > Weapon box
Extreme Powerhouse

07-11-2018, 04:24 PM   #23
uncleruckus
no relation
Rep
Drives: F30 328i xDrive

This thread should be nice and civil
Appreciate 1
cjack29.50
      07-11-2018, 04:26 PM   #24
MomoM3
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: X7 M50i | M2 CS | X5 35i

There is zero need to turn this thread political.

If you must leave a handgun in the car, I would use your basic 4 button lock box and tether it via steel cable in the trunk. I suggest the Liberty HD-100 which fits perfectly in the compartment under the storage flap. Auto-open door, lights up inside. Discrete and inexpensive.
Appreciate 0
      07-11-2018, 05:25 PM   #25
Polo08816
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2014 335i M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by vooonoo View Post
oh man, do not leave a firearm in a car
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueCrabMafia View Post
Why's that?
+1. Leaving a firearm in the car is okay if you have taken the appropriate precautions. The only time I really leave my gun in the car is if I'm going to the gym.

If someone is really determined to steal a firearm, they will. There have been gun thefts from secure vaults (behind 3 layers of physical security) from military armories across the country.

The best you can reasonably hope for is that someone needs to destroy the firearm in the process of stealing it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MomoM3 View Post
There is zero need to turn this thread political.

If you must leave a handgun in the car, I would use your basic 4 button lock box and tether it via steel cable in the trunk. I suggest the Liberty HD-100 which fits perfectly in the compartment under the storage flap. Auto-open door, lights up inside. Discrete and inexpensive.
I basically have a similar setup and have the gunbox tethered to 2 hard points.
Appreciate 0
      07-12-2018, 06:20 AM   #26
RoundelM3
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 15 F80 M3, 22 G01 X3 30i

Garage List
2022 BMW X3  [9.83]
2015 BMW M3  [6.50]
Quote:
Originally Posted by BEAR-AvHistory View Post
I would not want anything on the driver door side of the car unless its a cross draw holster on your person. No way a right handed US driver can get to a weapon quickly on the door. Its also cramped for a left handed driver to get it pointed at someone standing at the door.
That's why I keep mine in the center console when I'm carrying it in the car. Problem with cross-draw rigs is that it's too easy for an antagonist in front of you to grab your weapon. I prefer the 5:00 position with a left-handed holster on the right hip, although in our cars, that's still not easy to reach. And reaching across the passenger seat wouldn't work all that well either.

2015 F80 ///M3 Sedan 7DCT Tanzanite, 2022 X3 sDrive30i 8AT Brooklyn Grey

Last edited by RoundelM3; 07-12-2018 at 06:28 AM..
Appreciate 0
      07-12-2018, 10:03 AM   #27
435iFanatiker
Private
No_Country
Rep
Drives: A rental

Garage List
2014 BMW 435i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomana View Post
Hi guys
Bumped into this firearm box for f30 in the door while browsing realoem.

Any real life pictures? Kinda cool though
If I remember right, it's a specific compartment made for the H&K MP-5, geared toward law enforcement and protective security folks.
Appreciate 1
      07-12-2018, 01:42 PM   #28
BEAR-AvHistory
2020 Z4 M40i - 2022 M4C Convt
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 Z4 M40i - 2022 M4C Convrt

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by roundel335 View Post
That's why I keep mine in the center console when I'm carrying it in the car. Problem with cross-draw rigs is that it's too easy for an antagonist in front of you to grab your weapon. I prefer the 5:00 position with a left-handed holster on the right hip, although in our cars, that's still not easy to reach. And reaching across the passenger seat wouldn't work all that well either.
Yeah, can see that. Problem is access to a weapon sitting is a car is problematic regardless of where its located. That said you are better with then without.

Agree if you have to leave it in the car secured in a mounted box in the trunk under the floor is the only good solution.

Quote:
435iFanatiker If I remember right, it's a specific compartment made for the H&K MP-5, geared toward law enforcement and protective security folks.
That would make sense for the right door panel.

2022 M4C - 2020 Z4 M40i - 2023 FORD Expedition XLT Max 4X4 400BHP - 2009 V-Star - 1998 Ranger 4X4 5MT - 1965 Cobra (R) 5MT - 2023 Jeep Wrangler Sport S 6MT
Appreciate 0
      07-12-2018, 06:21 PM   #29
Logicoeur
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: F30 335i xDrive

Is the glovebox lock not secure enough?
F30 335iX | Remus Axleback | Fabspeed Catted DP | VRSF Comp IC | 18X9 ET35 19lb MT1 | 255/40/18 ECS | Ohlins RT Millway Street | Millway Control Arm Bushings | Turner Endlinks | TMH 75mm 14x1.5 Studs | BMW MPerf LSD | XDelete | Pipercross Filter | MHD Stg2 93
Appreciate 0
      07-13-2018, 09:54 AM   #30
rbol13
Private
Rep
Drives: 2014 335i M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrimDoc View Post
Agreed: a carried firearm belongs in a quality holster, secured on one's person.

Sadly though, America is full of stupid laws that designate a variety of places "gun free zones" ... which means that people are forced to disarm, and leave their firearms in cars and other locations.

Gun control laws always find a way to make us all less safe.
When my family had a place out in AZ, I was shocked by how many places had no gun signs.
Appreciate 0
      07-13-2018, 12:29 PM   #31
rlmesq
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2018 440i M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Logicoeur View Post
Not only isn't it secure enough, it's illegal to store a gun in the glovebox in many states.

I visit a law enforcement facility where firearms are prohibited a couple of times a week for work. The head of the agency approved my Armloc case, which I secure in the trunk with a padlock and heavy steel cable that's attached to the battery hold down. The case is also TSA approved, so I use it to transport firearms when flying.

Last edited by rlmesq; 07-13-2018 at 12:32 PM.. Reason: Added image
Appreciate 2
      07-13-2018, 12:30 PM   #32
Logicoeur
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: F30 335i xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by rlmesq View Post
Quote:
Not only isn't it secure enough, it's illegal to store a gun in the glovebox in many states.

I visit a law enforcement facility where firearms are prohibited a couple of times a week for work. The head of the agency approved my Armloc case, which I secure in the trunk with a padlock and heavy steel cable that's attached to the battery hold down. The case is also TSA approved, so I use it to transport firearms when flying.

Wow never knew that. I'm new to firearms. Taking a class with a police trainer friend soon.
F30 335iX | Remus Axleback | Fabspeed Catted DP | VRSF Comp IC | 18X9 ET35 19lb MT1 | 255/40/18 ECS | Ohlins RT Millway Street | Millway Control Arm Bushings | Turner Endlinks | TMH 75mm 14x1.5 Studs | BMW MPerf LSD | XDelete | Pipercross Filter | MHD Stg2 93
Appreciate 0
      07-13-2018, 01:31 PM   #33
BEAR-AvHistory
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
As stated illegal in some states. In NC its the cops call as your car is not that same as your house.

Add to that if the gun is stolen & not reported promptly then used in felony you can be in some deep s**t. So if you are in a no glove box state you have a compounded problem having to report you have done something in violation of a law.

Last if you cross a state line with a gun in the glove box the feds who always want to help you will be unhappy.

Under FOPA, notwithstanding any state or local law, a person is entitled to transport a firearm from any place where he or she may lawfully possess and carry such firearm to any other place where he or she may lawfully possess and carry it, if the firearm is unloaded and locked out of reach. In vehicles without a trunk, the unloaded firearm must be in a locked container other than the glove compartment or console. Ammunition that is either locked out of reach in the trunk or in a locked container other than the glove compartment or console is also covered. (Source NRA Guide to Transportation of Firearms)

Possession of a weapon should never be taken lightly.

2022 M4C - 2020 Z4 M40i - 2023 FORD Expedition XLT Max 4X4 400BHP - 2009 V-Star - 1998 Ranger 4X4 5MT - 1965 Cobra (R) 5MT - 2023 Jeep Wrangler Sport S 6MT

Last edited by BEAR-AvHistory; 07-13-2018 at 01:37 PM..
Appreciate 0
      07-13-2018, 06:14 PM   #34
JamesWWIII
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 440i Coupe

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by BEAR-AvHistory View Post
Last if you cross a state line with a gun in the glove box the feds who always want to help you will be unhappy.
It’s my understanding that the only thing the feds concern themselves with when it comes to crossing state lines with firearms are NFA items. So if all you’ve got in the glovebox is a handgun, that’s a state matter. If you’ve got a suppressor for that handgun, you need to have filed a Form 20 with the ATF and received Uncle Sam’s blessing.
Appreciate 0
      07-13-2018, 06:28 PM   #35
BEAR-AvHistory
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Could be, I am just reading the words:

"In vehicles without a trunk, the unloaded firearm must be in a locked container other than the glove compartment or console."

Not a lawyer but to my non-legal mind the "without a trunk" says to me if you have a trunk put the gun in it & if you don't get a box.

Regardless I have a strong box & a trunk so its a non issue.

Find the whole thing interesting & classic government "help" My long guns, which can do a lot more damage, go in the trunk but no secure box. In my COBRA they go in the passenger seat when I go to the range, no functional trunk to hold them, they are too long. The Ranger 4X4 that we take hunting with a few other trucks have no trunks.

BTW NC is an open carry state so as long as I don't conceal a handgun I can carry it without a permit. So I can have a fully loaded pistol on the passenger seat & be legal but if its under my seat I need a concealed carry permit. Freekin weird.

Last edited by BEAR-AvHistory; 07-13-2018 at 06:50 PM..
Appreciate 0
      07-13-2018, 06:29 PM   #36
Sea-Tac
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2108 X3 xDrive30i

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Tasty View Post
Comment makes zero sense. Try again.
Ditto!!!
Appreciate 0
      07-13-2018, 08:12 PM   #37
CoopersF15
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: F15 Xdrive 40e Performance

Quote:
Originally Posted by 435iFanatiker View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomana View Post
Hi guys
Bumped into this firearm box for f30 in the door while browsing realoem.

Any real life pictures? Kinda cool though
If I remember right, it's a specific compartment made for the H&K MP-5, geared toward law enforcement and protective security folks.
I had a thought it was for euro law enforcement as the have F31s for pursuit vehicles (335D though, y'know something with pace, and not a weedy 4cyl)

Also hoping it would be LHD euro vehicles and thus USA compatible.

However if available in USA then that is interesting - I'd be surprised by any police or military having euro vehicles.

I'd carry my 30" O/U to the range with it, assuming it had a foam insert that could be modified rather than hard shell injection molded to fit the HK.

At $2k though....would rather buy another gun
      07-13-2018, 10:50 PM   #38
JamesWWIII
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 440i Coupe

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by 435iFanatiker View Post
Near as I can tell, this is the special rack made for the MP5...

Very 007.
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2018, 12:46 PM   #39
CrimDoc
North Country Cabriolet Enthusiast
Rep
Drives: 2019 430i XDrive Convertible

Two different issues ...

There are really two different issues being discussed in this thread:

1) Is it legal for you to "carry" a loaded firearm in your car (presumably for self-defense purposes)? The answer to that question varies from state to state. The link below provides good information for all the states in the union. Typically, each state police website also has a good information page. GENERALLY, if you have a valid concealed weapons permit / license ... you can "carry" in your car (and how you do so is up to you). Without a permit, it's usually illegal, and the penalties for doing so can be severe. For instance, in my home state of Michigan, it's a 5-year felony! But don't assume "general" rules apply in your state, some places allow it without a permit, and others have all sorts of restrictions. If you want to carry a loaded firearm that's accessible to you in the cabin of your car, make sure you carefully research precisely what the law says.

https://www.usacarry.com/

2) Is it legal to store a (typically unloaded) firearm in your car? In most states, the answer to this question is "yes"; and you are not liable (under either criminal or civil law) if someone breaks into your car and steals your gun. Now, some states do have what are called "safe storage" laws that mandate guns be kept secure under lock and key, and in those states, having your gun stolen, if it wasn't properly secured, CAN get you in legal trouble. But this is the exception rather than the rule. Again, in my home state of Michigan, I could have a gun lying in full view on the seat, with my car unlocked, and if someone opens the door and steals it, I wouldn't get into legal trouble (I'd certainly argue that it would be IMMORAL and IRRESPONSIBLE to do that, but it wouldn't be illegal). Most states do have a law on the books requiring that you report a stolen firearm to the authorities within a set period of time.

Long story short, firearms laws vary from state to state. If you want to have a gun in your car, research the laws in your state carefully. And if you plan to travel with a gun, getting a concealed weapons license will make your life a lot easier since many scenarios become legal for someone with a license that are illegal for someone without one.

Last edited by CrimDoc; 07-15-2018 at 03:22 PM..
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2018, 03:20 PM   #40
CrimDoc
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by trilltx View Post
yeah, okay.

because thats exactly what the country needs. more gun owners.
If you'd like to discuss gun control policy with me, I'm happy to do that ... I'm a criminal justice professor who specializes in program and policy evaluation.

Always happy to educate people about why gun control is not only ineffective, but dangerous and counter productive.

Probably a topic for a different forum though ...
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2018, 06:06 PM   #41
enotech
Enlisted Member
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2016 BMW 330e

Quote:
If you'd like to discuss gun control policy with me, I'm happy to do that ... I'm a criminal justice professor who specializes in program and policy evaluation.

Always happy to educate people about why gun control is not only ineffective, but dangerous and counter productive.

Probably a topic for a different forum though ...
Interesting that it's working so well for us here in Australia if it's "ineffective, dangerous and counter productive".

As an Australian, I'm dumbfounded that there's even a thread about storing a firearm in your car.
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2018, 11:23 PM   #42
CrimDoc
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by enotech View Post
Interesting that it's working so well for us here in Australia if it's "ineffective, dangerous and counter productive".

As an Australian, I'm dumbfounded that there's even a thread about storing a firearm in your car.
Let me put it to you this way Enotech.

There's not much need for ski patrols in the tropics, nor lifeguards in the arctic ocean.

Australia had about 800K firearms in country prior to your "buyback"; America is estimated to have about 400 million. We can discuss how that came to be; and whether it was a good idea to write a Constitution that guarantees the right to bear arms ... but regardless of what we say, that IS the reality of the situation.

So, in a Country like the United States, where it's trivially easy for criminals to gain access to firearms, we have a choice ... implement gun control ... which disarms law abiding citizens, and empowers criminals; or respect law abiding citizen's Constitutional rights so that they can protect themselves.

It's really a no-brainer: provided you let yourself be guided by logic and empirical reality as opposed to ideology and fantasy.

And BTW, the empirical data really doesn't show that your buyback in Australia reduced the rate of gun crimes: it was already declining prior to the law being implemented.

Last edited by CrimDoc; 07-16-2018 at 07:45 AM..
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2018, 12:04 AM   #43
enotech
Enlisted Member
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2016 BMW 330e

Quote:

There's not much need for ski patrols in the tropics, nor lifeguards in the arctic ocean.

Australia had about 800K firearms in your country even prior to your "buyback"; America is estimated to have about 400 million. We can discuss how that came to be; and whether it was a good idea to write a Constitution that guarantees the right to bear arms ... but regardless of what we say, that IS the reality of the situation.

So, in the Country like the United States, where it's trivially easy for criminals to gain access to firearms, we have a choice ... implement gun control ... which disarms law abiding citizens, and empowers criminals; or respect law abiding citizen's Constitutional rights so that they can protect themselves.

It's really a no-brainer if you let yourself be guided by logic and empirical reality as opposed to ideology and fantasy.

And BTW, the empirical data really doesn't show that your buyback in Australia reduced the rate of gun crimes. It was already declining prior to the law being implemented.
It's obvious that we disagree on this topic, but if I continued along that line, we'd be hijacking the thread, so I'll leave it at that, and agree to disagree.
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2018, 11:29 AM   #44
BEAR-AvHistory
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:

Australia had about 800K firearms in country prior to your "buyback"; America is estimated to have about 400 million. We can discuss how that came to be; and whether it was a good idea to write a Constitution that guarantees the right to bear arms ... but regardless of what we say, that IS the reality of the situation.

So, in a Country like the United States, where it's trivially easy for criminals to gain access to firearms, we have a choice ... implement gun control ... which disarms law abiding citizens, and empowers criminals; or respect law abiding citizen's Constitutional rights so that they can protect themselves.

It's really a no-brainer: provided you let yourself be guided by logic and empirical reality as opposed to ideology and fantasy.

And BTW, the empirical data really doesn't show that your buyback in Australia reduced the rate of gun crimes: it was already declining prior to the law being implemented.
Agree you can't put the Genie back in the box. Everytime 2nd amendment forces rally the purchase of personal weapons increases. My last buy was a "just incase Hillary" won purchase.

Its also interesting that cities with the most stringent gun control laws like Chicago have the highest rate of gun violence in the country.

London's knife attacks just demonstrates if you can't get a gun a different weapon can be just as effective. Now they are trying to pass laws on the shape of knives. Next will be a buy back of your dinnerware. Then they will move on to screwdrivers & cricket bats.

Appreciate 0