F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > General F30 Sedan / F32 Coupe / F36 Gran Coupe Forum > Another month, another odd issue
ARMA SPEED

09-20-2021, 02:53 PM   #1
QuikSilver_
Captain
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2016 F36 M Sport

Garage List
Another month, another odd issue

So this month on "What the Heck is Going on with My Car?", my car is making some weird creaking noises when I make right turns. Doesn't happen every time, only when I turn right while accelerating (e.g., turning right at an intersection, stop for the red light and check oncoming traffic, accelerate while turning right, and then *creak*). Didn't know I was driving a 2000 Ford Explorer! Lol, jk it's not that bad

Anyway, the noise comes from the right side of the interior. At first I thought it was something inside my car/trunk shifting around, but after I turned the radio down after the first few occurrences and paid attention, it sounds more like a suspension creak, particularly around the passenger seat area.

A quick search suggests that it could be bearings, or bushings, or ball joints. What do you guys think? Is that common for a 2016 F36 with 36,000 miles? And is there a definite way to figure out exactly what part, if any, needs to be replaced?

09-20-2021, 03:01 PM   #2
McGyv3r
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 1989 325i & 2014 335i

Garage List
2014 BMW 335i  [0.00]
1989 BMW 325i  [0.00]
I worked on a customer's car (2010-ish X5) that made a horrible creak. It ended up being a bad ball joint on the passenger front lower control arm. I guess all the grease got out and it was metal on metal. I replaced the CA and they were good to go, for a week, until the driver's front lower control arm ball joint went bad.

Take away: replace stuff in pairs.

You can listen to it with a stethoscope while someone turns the wheels (either on the ground or on jack stands). You can also try wiggling and prying on stuff to see if anything is loose and needs to be replaced. Good luck!
Appreciate 2
      09-20-2021, 05:10 PM   #3
Wires
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2016 340i xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuikSilver_ View Post
So this month on "What the Heck is Going on with My Car?", my car is making some weird creaking noises when I make right turns. Doesn't happen every time, only when I turn right while accelerating (e.g., turning right at an intersection, stop for the red light and check oncoming traffic, accelerate while turning right, and then *creak*). Didn't know I was driving a 2000 Ford Explorer! Lol, jk it's not that bad

Anyway, the noise comes from the right side of the interior. At first I thought it was something inside my car/trunk shifting around, but after I turned the radio down after the first few occurrences and paid attention, it sounds more like a suspension creak, particularly around the passenger seat area.

A quick search suggests that it could be bearings, or bushings, or ball joints. What do you guys think? Is that common for a 2016 F36 with 36,000 miles? And is there a definite way to figure out exactly what part, if any, needs to be replaced?

Do you have the shadowline trim (black glossy trim around the doors where the door rubber butts up to)?

Mine creaked like a mofo from new, and all I needed was to treat the rubber with gummi pflege, let it dry and it's been silent for 5 years now.
Appreciate 1
      09-20-2021, 06:36 PM   #4
QuikSilver_
Captain
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wires View Post
Quote:

Do you have the shadowline trim (black glossy trim around the doors where the door rubber butts up to)?

Mine creaked like a mofo from new, and all I needed was to treat the rubber with gummi pflege, let it dry and it's been silent for 5 years now.
Yes I do have that trim. That's interesting, I'll check it out. It's pretty easy to replicate now that I understand when it happens, and the more I replicate it, the more it sounds like it's coming from inside the cabin.
      09-20-2021, 06:44 PM   #5
QuikSilver_
Captain
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
If I can easily replicate the noise, would it be worth it to have a service advisor or tech check it out? Do they typically charge for just a diagnostic?
      09-20-2021, 06:51 PM   #6
Wires
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2016 340i xDrive

For me, it really showed up during winter when driving over rutted roads. I'm guessing they will charge for this unless you have some warranty that covers it.

It was literally a little nail polish type bottle that you just painted on the trim. Just left the doors open until it dried. Super easy to fix.
Appreciate 0
      09-21-2021, 10:20 AM   #7
McGyv3r
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2014 BMW 335i  [0.00]
1989 BMW 325i  [0.00]
Quote:
If I can easily replicate the noise, would it be worth it to have a service advisor or tech check it out? Do they typically charge for just a diagnostic?
Any shop is going to charge you to look at your car for diagnostics time. Some shops will apply that diagnostic fee to your total bill if you get it repaired with them.

If you're going to repair it yourself, and you can replicate the noise, why would you take it to a shop to have them look at it?

If you're not planning on repairing it on your own, just drop it off and tell them what's going on. There's no point in you trying to diagnose it yourself.
Appreciate 0
      09-21-2021, 11:13 AM   #8
QuikSilver_
Captain
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by McGyv3r View Post
If you're going to repair it yourself, and you can replicate the noise, why would you take it to a shop to have them look at it?
Well if I didn't know exactly which part needed to be replaced, I figured I could have a professional check it out and point me in the right direction so that I'm not replacing the wrong thing. I didn't know if they charged to diagnose an issue or not.

Anyway, after a more thorough search, I really think the problem is a broken retaining clip that holds the parking brake lines. Apparently this is one of those common pieces that fails over time because it's made of plastic, so now one of my e brake lines is rubbing against the drive shaft.

Hoping to get under the car this week to check and make sure that's really what it is, so I can order the $8 part
      09-21-2021, 11:21 AM   #9
McGyv3r
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2014 BMW 335i  [0.00]
1989 BMW 325i  [0.00]
Good luck, and don't go under the car if it's only being held by a floor jack!
Appreciate 2
jc62b32.00
      09-21-2021, 12:58 PM   #10
jc62b
Private
Scotland
Rep
Drives: BMW 420i gran coupe sport

Great point from McGyv3r. Please use axle stands.
Appreciate 1
      09-21-2021, 01:05 PM   #11
QuikSilver_
Captain
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by jc62b View Post
Great point from McGyv3r. Please use axle stands.
Definitely will, thanks guys! Question though, is there a center jack point in the rear?
      09-22-2021, 09:01 AM   #12
PhizzurpF
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW 328i x drive

Check your tension struts. If you turn your wheel all the way to the right and hear a weird clicking noise then they could be the culprit.
Appreciate 0