F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > General F30 Sedan / F32 Coupe / F36 Gran Coupe Forum > What did you do to your F3X today?
Studio RSR

04-12-2021, 12:08 PM   #10077
Silverlining_m2
Major
Rep
Drives: 2023 M2, 2024 m235i

Quote:
Originally Posted by lebaaron View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by thatBimmerBloke View Post
How's the ride quality/handling compared to M-Sport suspension?
Coming from an M-Sport suspension as well, I had the B14 installed a week ago, definitely stiffer over bumps comfortable otherwise, better steering wheel feeling and less body roll, probably a strut bar would be a good add on.
I guess upgrading sway bars,monoballs bushings etc... would make it even more precise but it always depend on how far you want to push it.

As far as I can report, that's a great upgrade. I set up mine to 0.9 inch.

I know the question is not oriented to me, but i hope this helps.
I set my front to 15/16" which I believe is close to .9" as well. I love my Bilsteins. Not even sure if my 4 series feels like it needs a sway bar or anything. She feels so sturdy now.

Since this is the "what did you do" thread I guess I'll mention the car is being realigned after lowering it and is also having the ofhg replaced as we speak.
      04-12-2021, 02:15 PM   #10078
archerz
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F31 335D

Garage List
New front splitter and side pieces fitted!

Appreciate 6
      04-12-2021, 02:44 PM   #10079
Slap_You7
Private
Rep
Drives: 320i M Sport 2017

I drove mine for the first time today. I have a few questions, however not allowed to post. What do I need to do in order to be able to create a new post?
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2021, 03:06 PM   #10080
frchdragon
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2016 BMW M4

I installed my Akebono front brake pads (so so easy with 4 piston calipers).
Installed the front right lower panel (the previous owner broke it)
Installed front control arms and thrust arms (with HD bushings)
Attached Images

Appreciate 4
      04-12-2021, 03:08 PM   #10081
archerz
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F31 335D

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slap_You7 View Post
I drove mine for the first time today. I have a few questions, however not allowed to post. What do I need to do in order to be able to create a new post?
probably 10 posts i'd guess. get lots of spam bots here that make a new account and post straight away.
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2021, 03:33 PM   #10082
haagm58
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: F30 328d Sport Line

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by frchdragon View Post
I installed my Akebono front brake pads (so so easy with 4 piston calipers).
Installed the front right lower panel (the previous owner broke it)
Installed front control arms and thrust arms (with HD bushings)
Nice work, wasn't too tough to install the control and thrust arms, right? Do you notice a difference with the new bushings?
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2021, 03:41 PM   #10083
frchdragon
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2016 BMW M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by haagm58 View Post
Nice work, wasn't too tough to install the control and thrust arms, right? Do you notice a difference with the new bushings?
Wasn't too tough, depends on your skills, I change headgaskets and clutches.
So compared to that, it was very easy.
The arms came out without any issues, it was the easiest arm replacement that I have done in any BMWs I worked on.
It took a bit longer because my car is a Xdrive, so I had to move the 1/2 shaft aside to take the control arm out.

It was fairly easy, just a pain for the final torque because I didn't have much room to move the torque wrench.

The previous bushings leaked out and were cracked, I could feel the front end not being happy under breaking and cornering. The car feels stiffer and more planted now. Very happy that I replaced the arms. (cheap at $300 for all 4)
Appreciate 1
haagm58809.50
      04-12-2021, 08:10 PM   #10084
Pauloxxi
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014-320Xi / 2017-330Xi

Garage List
I did an easy mod for most of people in this forum, however I was not in my comfort zone removing the front trim, dealing with electrical cables. Really afraid to damage the car.
This Saturday I finally installed the radio trim LED, and the Andream MMI on my wife's 2014 320xi. I struggled to remove the radio and AC control from the basic trim, but it worked fine with patience, although I'm not a fan of the trim piano black color, I liked the orange light. Then I jumped to the MMI, and the installation went smooth "thanks to this forum" and all the information on the web, as how to wire, how to position cables and tricks. The MMI manufacturer doesn't provide any instruction relying on other people videos and instructions. I'm very happy and regret not doing this before. Being able to access Carplay with benefit of GPS, and good control of your music library is very functional and in fact improves a lot for someone coming from a very limited Idrive in this car. Outstanding results even in my case keeping the 6.5" display.
Attached Images

Appreciate 3
      04-12-2021, 09:24 PM   #10085
auburnf30x
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2017 BMW 330i xDrive

Garage List
Good/bad things today...

The good, installed a Megan Racing strut brace today. Makes a nice improvement in steering feel.

The bad, I’m not entirely sure what happened. I was slowly navigating a very badly rutted out section of asphalt this past weekend, apparently I misjudged the ground clearance and bottomed out.

Only the soft cover was damaged, the metal shielding underneath had some scratches but no real damage.

I never used to worry much about these underbody coverings, but not on this car...

Fabricated a patch for it. I should have left it alone instead of trying to blend it in since that made it more obvious, but oh well. Maybe it’ll fade in.

These are the things I do instead of laundry that’s a week behind. Whatever, worth it.

Last edited by auburnf30x; 04-12-2021 at 09:44 PM..
Appreciate 8
jnj2455364.50
Pauloxxi339.00
Sigge155.50
rcaso26331.00
haagm58809.50
e_b_d_i18.00
      04-13-2021, 04:36 AM   #10086
disintegrator66
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '18 340i M-Sport 6MT THP MPPSK

Quote:
Originally Posted by auburnf30x View Post
Good/bad things today...

The good, installed a Megan Racing strut brace today. Makes a nice improvement in steering feel.

The bad, I’m not entirely sure what happened. I was slowly navigating a very badly rutted out section of asphalt this past weekend, apparently I misjudged the ground clearance and bottomed out.

Only the soft cover was damaged, the metal shielding underneath had some scratches but no real damage.

I never used to worry much about these underbody coverings, but not on this car...

Fabricated a patch for it. I should have left it alone instead of trying to blend it in since that made it more obvious, but oh well. Maybe it’ll fade in.

These are the things I do instead of laundry that’s a week behind. Whatever, worth it.
Flex Seal will fix that in a jiffy!
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2021, 07:58 PM   #10087
ap0819
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 340i

Replaced my air filter the other week

Appreciate 0
      04-15-2021, 12:23 AM   #10088
rooosh798
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 340i

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgeller View Post
https://www.ebay.com/itm/382551022291

There are a few sellers on eBay. They're all going for ~80 bucks. First impression is the car is noticeably more rigid through turns, and the car feels more eager to reply to my steering inputs. It wasn't a night and day difference like changing your suspension setup, but it's noticeable, especially at higher speeds. I do a lot of freeway driving and first noticed a difference on this long curving freeway bypass that I usually accelerate hard into. There is without a doubt less body roll in that sort of scenario. Cruising around town feels the same as before. But for the price and lack of downsides, I can't see a reason not to. Plus, it looks cool lmao.
Were there any fitment issues with the strut bar? I am thinking getting it but want to make sure it will fit properly without having to cut/modify things in the engine bay. From the pictures on ebay looks like it fits the Pre-Lci cars fine but not sure about the B58 cars.
      04-15-2021, 04:39 AM   #10089
disintegrator66
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '18 340i M-Sport 6MT THP MPPSK

Quote:
Originally Posted by rooosh798 View Post
Were there any fitment issues with the strut bar? I am thinking getting it but want to make sure it will fit properly without having to cut/modify things in the engine bay. From the pictures on ebay looks like it fits the Pre-Lci cars fine but not sure about the B58 cars.
Won't fit on the B58 F30s without hacking up the drivers side plastic cover. Go over to the suspension forum for pics/info. Suggest you spend a few more dollars and buy the correct bar for your car.
Appreciate 1
      04-15-2021, 08:06 AM   #10090
Swappy
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 18 340i LSB/ 21 X3 30i

Got my car a new buddy lol. Was planning on using the bimmer in winters since I sold my Audi. We had a flash snowfall, and I live in a rural area, the mountains of snow, sand and slush made me chicken out of my plan so quick lol.

Also, there is something really nice about having a car and not having to worry about the roads, or where to park away from everyone else.
Attached Images

Appreciate 2
MSCD3184.50
      04-15-2021, 09:28 AM   #10091
thatBimmerBloke
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: None

Quote:
Originally Posted by f32spaceship View Post
Honestly I find it similar, but better. It is stiffer I for sure. But almost zero body roll and the wheels just hold the road regardless of undulations. Impressive is a word I would use. The progressive rate springs do their job.. The tradeoff is that I do feel every bump. That is also exacerbated by the low profile rubber on my 19" wheels. All in all, I would do it again for sure. I enjoy sporty driving. Twists and turns are no match for this car now. And despite being at least 20mm less than 704 suspension, I don't rub or bottom out. I'll be sure to report back in a couple thousand miles if I needed to get a backiotomy.
Quote:
Coming from an M-Sport suspension as well, I had the B14 installed a week ago, definitely stiffer over bumps comfortable otherwise, better steering wheel feeling and less body roll, probably a strut bar would be a good add on.
I guess upgrading sway bars,monoballs bushings etc... would make it even more precise but it always depend on how far you want to push it.

You guys should get an alignment done after a couple of weeks, might also consider corner weight balancing for the best results. I had narrowed it down to B14 and KW V1, went with V1. Seems like B14 is a bit stiffer than V1 which I would have liked.
After switching to my summer wheels recently I noticed the car feeling a bit unbalanced, my winter wheels are OEM with OEM spec tires but I was running spacers on them and had raised the height in the front equally on both sides by about 5mm, it felt fine after that but noticed the change once I switched back to summer wheels without spacers. Getting an alignment done today.
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2021, 02:12 PM   #10092
rooosh798
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 340i

Quote:
Originally Posted by disintegrator66 View Post
Won't fit on the B58 F30s without hacking up the drivers side plastic cover. Go over to the suspension forum for pics/info. Suggest you spend a few more dollars and buy the correct bar for your car.
Thanks for the heads up.
      04-15-2021, 02:23 PM   #10093
lebaaron
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW 335i xdrive

Quote:
You guys should get an alignment done after a couple of weeks, might also consider corner weight balancing for the best results. I had narrowed it down to B14 and KW V1, went with V1. Seems like B14 is a bit stiffer than V1 which I would have liked.
After switching to my summer wheels recently I noticed the car feeling a bit unbalanced, my winter wheels are OEM with OEM spec tires but I was running spacers on them and had raised the height in the front equally on both sides by about 5mm, it felt fine after that but noticed the change once I switched back to summer wheels without spacers. Getting an alignment done today.
Got an alignment as well after installed
Appreciate 1
      04-15-2021, 03:51 PM   #10094
Silverlining_m2
Major
Rep
Drives: 2023 M2, 2024 m235i

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by f32spaceship View Post
Honestly I find it similar, but better. It is stiffer I for sure. But almost zero body roll and the wheels just hold the road regardless of undulations. Impressive is a word I would use. The progressive rate springs do their job.. The tradeoff is that I do feel every bump. That is also exacerbated by the low profile rubber on my 19" wheels. All in all, I would do it again for sure. I enjoy sporty driving. Twists and turns are no match for this car now. And despite being at least 20mm less than 704 suspension, I don't rub or bottom out. I'll be sure to report back in a couple thousand miles if I needed to get a backiotomy.
Quote:

Definitely already did. Just had it done actually. I think b14's might be slightly "bouncier" than 704 sport suspension, and it definitely isn't a smoother ride. But not more bouncy in a blown shock type of way. It just snaps back stiffly from every possible movement.

I truly holds the road in a way that the stock sport suspension didn't though. My mind loves it. My lower back may not.

I drove a 540i loaner this week, and it was comfiest, smoothest ride. Boring as shit though
      04-15-2021, 09:59 PM   #10095
Kolianovskyi
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW 650i

Received free rtti and BMW online from BMW for 9 months.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      04-15-2021, 10:15 PM   #10096
Drivingbliss
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2017 BMW 330e

I unplugged it and drove it to work where I plugged it back in. I did not use Eco-Pro and it still got 45mpg over 65 mile commute. I am loving this car! 3rd day of ownership.
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2021, 07:00 AM   #10097
Fliplegend
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 435ix F33

Garmin mini dashcam installed.
Attached Images

04-16-2021, 11:09 AM   #10098
MHF30
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2013 328i xDrive Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fliplegend View Post
Garmin mini dashcam installed.
How did you power it? Did you run a cable down to an auxillary power port or did you tap into rear view mirror wires?
Appreciate 0