F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > B58 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications > *** bootmod3 for BMW B58 - Now Available ***
Extreme Powerhouse

11-01-2019, 01:41 PM   #1145
lox
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW M235i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solid67 View Post
Hopefully, others can chime in but never hurts to open a ticket with PTF and let them look at the logs as well.
Yeah I have done man, hoping for a reply from them soon but its not urgent - just thought I'd see if anyone here could throw their ideas in.
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2019, 01:46 PM   #1146
lox
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW M235i

Quote:
Originally Posted by kern417 View Post
You need to redo your logs. Do a WOT pull from 2k rpm-7k and shift. You can shift earlier if it's easier. At a minimum, you need to keep the accelerator pedal in the same position. You're at 30% throttle, shift, then jump to 70% throttle. That doesn't give us useful data.

At the beginning of the first log, you're at partial throttle but the revs drop briefly. Are you going up a hill or something? Otherwise you have slip somewhere (tires, transmission, etc.).

On your 2nd log, you're seeing what I see in sport mode. The throttle mapping can change such that pushing the pedal halfway can open the throttle angle to 100%.

Also on your 2nd log you shift at a lower RPM.

So in general you need the two logs to be apples to apples. Same pedal position, same shift points, etc. If you're not manually shifting, then it looks like the car is shifting earlier and so it takes a minute to rebuild boost from a lower rpm. Of course it'll have more torque readily available after the shift if you're shifting at a higher RPM. But it's hard to say for sure.
Hey man, thanks for the reply. You are right, my logs are by no mean symmetrical. They were rushed during a lunch hour at work!!

I have one more log that was a hard pull in second gear and a shift into third at the link below. There was initial hesitation when I hit the gas in second, a second later it starts boosting. I then shift into third, huge hesitation at the start of third gear before it starts pulling.

http://www.bootmod3.net/log?id=5dbad64ac090c63fb7ba59e1

I can generate some new logs if these are no good too. I have a ticket logged with PTF but just wondered if anyone with a brain could help me in the meantime.

I'll reiterate that this only happens when I have burbles set to 'OTS', cold start disabled and max cooling mode on. On the base stage 1 91 octane it is fine, no problems.

Cheers,

Lox
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2019, 05:55 PM   #1147
B58 parts
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: '17 340ix 6MT

The max cool mode is pretty cool .. maybe too cool. An in-between setting or being able to pick a number would be great. I'm all for cooler under hood temps but I don't want to burn anything out, not sure if I should keep using it
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2019, 11:29 PM   #1148
vinzcast21
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F30 340i MY2017

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ahanix View Post
Nope, if anything you'll have a much smoother city driving experience. Comfort mode is now refined enough it can be used for daily use, I end up using it for most of my commute unless I really want to get on the car.
Quote:
Originally Posted by G.Newt View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by vinzcast21 View Post
I want to know, if I tune to the OTS map with stage 1 91 octane, will there be any hesitation in shifting or whatsoever for city driving?
Bruh. Just do it. You will not regret it at all. It'll be so good, you'll go to stage 2 lol.
Yup did it. Holy crap comfort mode is actually way smoother, only thing i noticed differently is how comfort and eco pro now holds gear a little longer ! with the GTS roar, the b58 sounds way better than before .overall impressed
Appreciate 0
      11-02-2019, 03:41 PM   #1149
RoIIouT
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2016 340i xDrive M-Sport

Just did a Stage 2 93 octane flash on my car (catless down pipe), and I have to say... damn. That was just what I was looking for. Completely transforms the car. You can still drive it around casually as well... but when you give it gas... it GOES.

Also, shout out to PTF for making this so user friendly. I was expecting to have some residual codes and things to work through to clear. Once I completed the flash and started my car, the cold start was gone and I knew it had worked.

Great work, so much power - I'm loving this new feel.
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2019, 01:22 AM   #1150
vinzcast21
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoIIouT View Post
Just did a Stage 2 93 octane flash on my car (catless down pipe), and I have to say... damn. That was just what I was looking for. Completely transforms the car. You can still drive it around casually as well... but when you give it gas... it GOES.

Also, shout out to PTF for making this so user friendly. I was expecting to have some residual codes and things to work through to clear. Once I completed the flash and started my car, the cold start was gone and I knew it had worked.

Great work, so much power - I'm loving this new feel.
does deleting cold start has any cons to it?
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2019, 07:16 AM   #1151
kern417
Cheapskate
Rep
Drives: 2018 440i |2016 340i | 2010 X5

Quote:
Originally Posted by lox View Post
Hey man, thanks for the reply. You are right, my logs are by no mean symmetrical. They were rushed during a lunch hour at work!!

I have one more log that was a hard pull in second gear and a shift into third at the link below. There was initial hesitation when I hit the gas in second, a second later it starts boosting. I then shift into third, huge hesitation at the start of third gear before it starts pulling.

http://www.bootmod3.net/log?id=5dbad64ac090c63fb7ba59e1

I can generate some new logs if these are no good too. I have a ticket logged with PTF but just wondered if anyone with a brain could help me in the meantime.

I'll reiterate that this only happens when I have burbles set to 'OTS', cold start disabled and max cooling mode on. On the base stage 1 91 octane it is fine, no problems.

Cheers,

Lox
Yep, I see it now. You're experiencing a throttle closure during the shift, so you're losing boost and then it ramps back up.

Does it do the same thing in sport mode? It might help to reset adaptations so the trans can relearn. Also is anything done to the trans like coding or an XHP flash?

Quote:
slightly worse emissions.
Youtube/Instagram/TikTok: @kern417
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2019, 09:18 AM   #1152
B58togo
Major
Rep
Drives: M240i

Quote:
Not if you're catless. If you retain the cat, it won't reach operating temps as quickly, especially in colder weather.
      11-03-2019, 05:37 PM   #1153
Wires
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2016 340i xDrive

I've found that even with cold start delete, the car still holds higher revs while it warms up (around 900 rpm, dropping to 600 rpm once hot). I have no complaints losing the cold start delete on high flow cats, in cold arse Canada....

Probably spews a bit more emissions in the first couple miles of driving, but doing high flow cats will be doing something similar anyways.
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2019, 06:09 PM   #1154
G.Newt
Major
Rep
Drives: CT4-V Blackwing 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wires View Post
I've found that even with cold start delete, the car still holds higher revs while it warms up (around 900 rpm, dropping to 600 rpm once hot). I have no complaints losing the cold start delete on high flow cats, in cold arse Canada....

Probably spews a bit more emissions in the first couple miles of driving, but doing high flow cats will be doing something similar anyways.
This has been my experience. I've had cold start off since day 1 of BM3, and that was in April/May when it was kinda warm and it ALWAYS started quietly.

We had 4 days of snow and sub-freezing temps, and it does do a mini-cold start. It will rev to 1,200rpm or so, then drop down very quickly. Not exactly a regular cold start, but not a quiet one either. Sort of in-between. Once I drive it and it warms up and I don't let it sit for days, the cold start is back to quiet.
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2019, 06:15 PM   #1155
BPAC306
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: M240I X

Quote:
Quote:

This has been my experience. I've had cold start off since day 1 of BM3, and that was in April/May when it was kinda warm and it ALWAYS started quietly.

We had 4 days of snow and sub-freezing temps, and it does do a mini-cold start. It will rev to 1,200rpm or so, then drop down very quickly. Not exactly a regular cold start, but not a quiet one either. Sort of in-between. Once I drive it and it warms up and I don't let it sit for days, the cold start is back to quiet.
If the options are not selected or clicked on what will be flashed? OEM is an option for some, so if left unchecked will it just keep whatever is currently active ?
Attached Images

12.3 @ 108 Stock
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2019, 06:16 PM   #1156
G.Newt
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BPAC306 View Post
If the options are not selected or clicked on what will be flashed? OEM is an option for some, so if left unchecked will it just keep whatever is currently active ?
Yeah, it won't change what anything.
Appreciate 1
BPAC30689.00
      11-04-2019, 12:07 PM   #1157
vinzcast21
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

I have the exhaust flap at SPORT/ON.. what does it actually do?
Appreciate 0
      11-04-2019, 05:35 PM   #1158
G.Newt
Major
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

I have the exhaust flap at SPORT/ON.. what does it actually do?
Exactly what it says. The exhaust flap will open up in Sport mode. It might also open up at a certain RPM, but you'd need to confirm that. I don't have an exhaust valve anymore sooo lol
DAW v2.5 turbo E40 | Dorch S2 | VRSF DP | MST intake | AWE catback | 335is clutch | CSF heat exchanger | RK Autowerks intake manifold | Orange M Perf Brake Kit | KW Street Comfort coilovers | GTS taillights V2
Appreciate 0
      11-04-2019, 06:15 PM   #1159
BMWILUVU
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 340ix

What does 0-60 look like on the bootmod3?
Appreciate 0
      11-04-2019, 07:55 PM   #1160
mike@x-ph.com
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
United_States
Rep

Drives: 07-335/12-328/18-M4/21-M4CP

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWILUVU View Post
What does 0-60 look like on the bootmod3?
This is highly dependent on your driver skills and tires

Phone number 702-494-9435
Appreciate 1
kern4174446.50
      11-05-2019, 03:01 AM   #1161
janea1207
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW 340i

Guys it worth to make custom tune from BM3/MHD if I have acces just on Ron98 (no E85,race gas, no meth)? will be more power than OTS stage2 map? safe like OTS map? and how much it is?
Thanks
Appreciate 0
      11-05-2019, 09:09 AM   #1162
joeyb26
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2020 M340i xDrive

Just install my Bootmod last night...few questions. Is there a setting so I can have cold start on? Or with the bootmod does it eliminate cold start? And under the "exhaust flaps" section, I clicked "open" but when the car is on and in sport mode, the flap in the left tail pipe is still closed. Am I doing something wrong?
      11-05-2019, 09:30 AM   #1163
BPAC306
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: M240I X

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeyb26 View Post
Just install my Bootmod last night...few questions. Is there a setting so I can have cold start on? Or with the bootmod does it eliminate cold start? And under the "exhaust flaps" section, I clicked "open" but when the car is on and in sport mode, the flap in the left tail pipe is still closed. Am I doing something wrong?
you have to select the red config gear (top right corner of the MAP) then make sure you scroll down and click SAVE CHANGES before you flash... see my post a few above.

12.3 @ 108 Stock
Appreciate 2
joeyb26281.50
kern4174446.50
      11-05-2019, 12:46 PM   #1164
B58togo
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by janea1207 View Post
Guys it worth to make custom tune from BM3/MHD if I have acces just on Ron98 (no E85,race gas, no meth)? will be more power than OTS stage2 map? safe like OTS map? and how much it is?
Thanks
Tom Wrigley Performance got big gains on 93 with a Cary Jordan tune. I’m planning on going that route myself after I upgrade the HPFP.
      11-05-2019, 01:33 PM   #1165
proTUNING Freaks
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
Rep

Drives: powered by bootmod3

UPDATE: Map configuration screen descriptions for all settings and values available.

This should help those using the screen for the first time get a sense of what the values are if or when they may not be clear. I realize some of you will enjoy these being added right in the screen even though all of them are documented in the actively maintained bootmod3 User Manual.
Attached Images

Appreciate 2
kern4174446.50
      11-05-2019, 01:40 PM   #1166
AlexM240i
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by proTUNING Freaks View Post
UPDATE: Map configuration screen descriptions for all settings and values available.

This should help those using the screen for the first time get a sense of what the values are if or when they may not be clear. I realize some of you will enjoy these being added right in the screen even though all of them are documented in the actively maintained bootmod3 User Manual.
Great !

I'm not a BM3 user yet but i'm very interested in programming my M240i with the Stage 1 91 map but i'd like to keep all of my OEM values (cold start, engine cooling, shift speeds) except for the map of course.

What values should i keep in the OEM. I did not understand the last image with the percentages (sorry i'm not expert with this programs)...
Appreciate 0