F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > N55 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications > AEM Water/Meth kit Installation
GetBMWParts

04-12-2021, 05:44 PM   #1
UsrNmeInvalid
Rep
Drives: F30 335i

AEM Water/Meth kit Installation

What's up guys,

I purchased the AEM WMI kit that I am looking to install. I have an ER charge pipe that has the bung connectors for the nozzles.

However the WMI installation guide says the nozzles should be installed before the throttle body and after the MAP sensor. The MAP sensor is like 1" away from the throttle body and the ER charge pipe bung connectors are way below it. The concern here is that the water/meth being sprayed before the map sensor will damage it.

Anyone have any experience/recommendations regarding this?

Any help is greatly appreciated!

Last edited by UsrNmeInvalid; 04-12-2021 at 05:54 PM..
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2021, 05:49 PM   #2
thejeremyman9
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW 335i

You're confusing the MAF and MAP sensors.

The MAF is in the intake.

The MAP sensors are in the CP (pre throttle) and intake manifold (post throttle).
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2021, 05:55 PM   #3
UsrNmeInvalid
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by thejeremyman9 View Post
You're confusing the MAF and MAP sensors.

The MAF is in the intake.

The MAP sensors are in the CP (pre throttle) and intake manifold (post throttle).
You're right. Thanks for the correction.

Concern remains though. Potential damage to the map sensor.
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2021, 06:00 PM   #4
thejeremyman9
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by UsrNmeInvalid View Post
You're right. Thanks for the correction.

Concern remains though. Potential damage to the map sensor.
Are you sure the instructions say after the MAP sensor? If so that's impossible for the N55, because the MAP sensor in the intake manifold is after the throttle body, even if somehow you were to install a meth bung after the CP MAP (which no one does).

Everyone uses the meth bungs that come on the CPs, all of which are located before both MAP sensor, and before the TB.
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2021, 06:34 PM   #5
UsrNmeInvalid
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by thejeremyman9 View Post
Are you sure the instructions say after the MAP sensor? If so that's impossible for the N55, because the MAP sensor in the intake manifold is after the throttle body, even if somehow you were to install a meth bung after the CP MAP (which no one does).

Everyone uses the meth bungs that come on the CPs, all of which are located before both MAP sensor, and before the TB.
You're right again. I did confuse map/maf not on the post but on the actual location when attempting install. It does say it should be after the MAF not after the MAP.

Thank you for your help.
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2021, 06:19 PM   #6
zinner
Major
Rep
Drives: `17 X5 35d/`15 335i/`18 M550IX

I have had the temp sensor of my TMAP, the sensor a few inches from the throttle body, go bad, I wrote it off as the methanol/water killing it. I replaced it a while back, but it no repeat so far been a few years, but it's dedicated to the track so much less usage.
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2021, 06:34 AM   #7
monoid
Private
Bulgaria
Rep
Drives: BMW F30 335xi FBO

I am using the same meth kit and haded the problem with the tmap sensor. I've changed the postion of the meth nozzle after the Tmap sensor before the throttle body and there is zero problems for now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by UsrNmeInvalid View Post
What's up guys,

I purchased the AEM WMI kit that I am looking to install. I have an ER charge pipe that has the bung connectors for the nozzles.

However the WMI installation guide says the nozzles should be installed before the throttle body and after the MAP sensor. The MAP sensor is like 1" away from the throttle body and the ER charge pipe bung connectors are way below it. The concern here is that the water/meth being sprayed before the map sensor will damage it.

Anyone have any experience/recommendations regarding this?

Any help is greatly appreciated!
      04-16-2021, 10:06 AM   #8
thejeremyman9
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by monoid View Post
I am using the same meth kit and haded the problem with the tmap sensor. I've changed the postion of the meth nozzle after the Tmap sensor before the throttle body and there is zero problems for now.
Have a picture? I think this is pretty uncommon, but could be an option for those who are concerned.
Appreciate 0