F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > xDrive All-Wheel Drive Discussions > Diff and TXFR Case Oil change
proTUNING Freaks

03-21-2022, 01:49 PM   #1
sl13
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 335d xdrive Msport

Diff and TXFR Case Oil change

hi guys,

I've searched high and low and cannot seem to get a straight answer...

I've got a '15 335d xdrive msport. It's coming up to 68k miles and although i do all my own servicing, I cannot see anything about diff or transfer case oil changes.

I've read they are 'lifetime' which is obviously BS. I have also read you cannot access the fluid in the diffs as there is no drain hole.

Does anybody know if a UK spec car like mine has:

Diff drain and fill holes?
Trnsf case drain and fill holes?
A requirement to replace the oils and fluids - i think yes, and perhaps i'm already a little late on that front!
Oil specs?

Sorry if this has been done to death elsewhere - if it has, I'll happily read more into it so send me over there!

Cheers
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2022, 04:19 PM   #2
asbrr
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2014 335ix M-Sport

There's a bunch of youtube videos of people doing this example:

Transfer case doesn't have a drain hole but does have a fill hole. BMW won't do it for you even if you pay them, as they stick to "it's lifetime" argument.

Different fluids for each component though, pay attention to which one requires which fluid. Transfer case has clutches so something with a friction modifier is required. Different weights in each component also.
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2022, 06:51 PM   #3
MJ-W
Netherlands
Rep
Drives: F31 340iX

I recently had my tx case serviced. As it happened the axle needed the balance plate to be rewelded (!). This was a glitch in my OS Giken related mods. Anyway once exhaust, heatshields and rear- axle are removed it is a few bolts more to remove the tx case altogether and put it upside down to drain all the oil via the fill-hole. The oil showed some glistering metal parts, so I'm a bit worried and will plan a servicing by the same garage somewhere in 2022 (they take the TX apart and we see what is amiss). BMW will tell you a lot of BS and probably like to sell you a new one, but you can service them. It is all Magna Steyr stuff from Austria and parts are available.

My F31 340iX is from 2015 and has 125,000 kms. The mods are OS Giken LSD with a larger 215 diff, thicker driveshafts and shorter axle (with badly welded balance plate....). Mods installed by Hardeman Motor Sports in NL. Very knowledgeable guys. The tx case oil change by the way was for free since I had to come back for this balance plate!

Oh yeah and btw my new rear diff has a custom drain hole on the bottom. Just as well since the OS Giken needs regular oil changes of special OSG oil.
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2022, 02:53 AM   #4
sl13
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep

So looks like it can and should be done! Thanks for responding. I'll look up the fluid specs...
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2022, 08:10 AM   #5
auburnf30x
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2017 BMW 330i xDrive

Garage List
You'll need something like this for the transfer case and rear differential:

https://www.fcpeuro.com/products/bmw...-euro-b3300000

Along with a fluid extractor of your choice, FCP Euro sells one also. You need it to get down into the unit since you have to pull fluid from the fill hole.

Not sure how much comes out of the rear differential, but you'll get about 50% of the fluid out of the transfer case using this method. None of the fluids are lifetime. There's many reports out there of strange shudders during acceleration that stop when changing these fluids, particularly the transfer case. So obviously something is worn out.

They're a little time consuming, but not hard to do. Even the transfer case, daunting as it may seem, is not terribly difficult. Just support the case with a floor jack, remove the support bracket, and you have access to the fill hole.

Appreciate 0
      04-01-2022, 01:51 AM   #6
sl13
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by auburnf30x View Post
You'll need something like this for the transfer case and rear differential:

https://www.fcpeuro.com/products/bmw...-euro-b3300000

Along with a fluid extractor of your choice, FCP Euro sells one also. You need it to get down into the unit since you have to pull fluid from the fill hole.

Not sure how much comes out of the rear differential, but you'll get about 50% of the fluid out of the transfer case using this method. None of the fluids are lifetime. There's many reports out there of strange shudders during acceleration that stop when changing these fluids, particularly the transfer case. So obviously something is worn out.

They're a little time consuming, but not hard to do. Even the transfer case, daunting as it may seem, is not terribly difficult. Just support the case with a floor jack, remove the support bracket, and you have access to the fill hole.
Thanks for this excellent info. I'll have a go at it when the weather warms up
Appreciate 0
      06-01-2022, 04:37 PM   #7
WrxToBeamerGuy
Captain
Rep
Drives: BMW 340i xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by sl13 View Post
Thanks for this excellent info. I'll have a go at it when the weather warms up
I bought copper brake line and bent it into an angle then cut off the flared tip. As long as you get the correct OD it works like a charm.
Appreciate 0
      09-08-2022, 03:32 PM   #8
Xanderf31
Rep
Drives: F31 330D X BMW

did anyone look into the possibility of boring out a drain hole themself? Think it would be great if we could change the oil an easy way every 60 000km or so..
Appreciate 0
      09-08-2022, 09:49 PM   #9
Billfitz
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '15 328iX GT

I just topped off my front differential using one of these: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08PB4Q6VC...roduct_details

It would be equally effective in removing fluid. It might not get it all out, but I doubt that's a problem.
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2023, 04:52 AM   #10
mmeuer
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW F34 GT 330D LUXURY

Is it possible to drill and tap in a new drain hole ? I haven't seen it done so just wondering if it's a possibility?
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2023, 07:51 AM   #11
Billfitz
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '15 328iX GT

If you drill a hole you run the risk of getting metal shavings in the diff. Just use a fluid extractor via the fill hole.
Appreciate 0