F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > N47 and N57 Turbodiesel Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications > 8HP70 transmission fluid change information
ARMA SPEED

10-02-2022, 09:44 AM   #23
alex_th32
Private
Germany
Rep
Drives: BMW 435dx

I want to emphasize that the adjustments were automatically updated from time to time, depending on the way the car is operated (driver's style), also checking the internal operation of the automatic transmission, correcting and adjusting according to its wear.
I am convinced that any intervention, especially an oil change, should be manually reset and recalibrated because if we don't do this then the automatic transmission will take a long time to self-calibrate, and this means that until it does it will underperform and have a longer wear

this will be perfectly fine for a correct and not damaged automatic transmission and without any mechanical or mechatronic problem.
that depends if it has a problem, for example, it is broken, for example, it has a lot of wear, then other rules apply, because the electronic controller can correct up to a certain range, it will also record incorrect values and the adjustment correction will be wrong and so on....

Last edited by alex_th32; 10-02-2022 at 10:00 AM..
Appreciate 1
      10-03-2022, 12:13 AM   #24
fichtenweg
Rep
Drives: 520D G31

alex_th32 , frankly I don't see a huge difference before and after. From my understanding you had good values before the maintenance. Does that mean the values don't necessarily speak for the actual health status of the mechatronic?

Quote:
Originally Posted by alex_th32 View Post
...and this means that until it does it will underperform and have a longer wear
This is an interesting opinion, because in the german forums they say quite the opposite -> if you reset the adaptations, you make the gearbox forget everything it knows and then it has to undergo the whole tear and wear until it reaches optimum slippage condition.

Last edited by fichtenweg; 10-04-2022 at 05:05 AM..
Appreciate 0
      10-03-2022, 08:40 AM   #25
kdog_x
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 14 328d

Wow, didn't realize there was such a long procedure for relearning the adaptation values. I guess I have just gotten lucky. I change the fluid every 60k and will be coming up on my 4th change pretty soon.

I have always reset the values and haven't had any issues. It certainly shifts differently initially after resetting. I usually drive it under light throttle around the neighborhood with alot of coasting and stops, it gets smoother and smoother as you run it through the gears repeatedly.

I'll have to contemplate whether I want to reset it again on my 240k fluid change. I most likely will as I have had good luck with it thus far... though I may take a screenshot of the adaptation values before I start this time. I can definitely see where jumping in it and racing around town immediately after resetting the values could cause some shifting problems.

Is the full adaptation relearn procedure in ISTA? Or is that a ZF procedure? I see they showed the first part of it in that video, but the mechanic mentioned there being several parts to it. the initial 'light throttle' part of the procedure doesn't seem much different than my driving habits around local streets, maybe that's why I haven't had any issues lol.

Last edited by kdog_x; 10-03-2022 at 08:53 AM..
Appreciate 0
      10-04-2022, 07:28 PM   #26
n00bkiller944
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '14 328d M Sport

I have done two fluid and filter changes and never changed the adaptations. Thought about it, but have never had any issues not changing or resetting them
Appreciate 1
      10-05-2022, 02:30 PM   #27
alex_th32
Private
Germany
Rep

From what i understand if you reset the adjustments or if you don't reset it the adjustments will gradually change to where they should be....the issue is what is better to do, what is the most correct and the most painless for the automatic transmission. and now again I will think.... if we follow the process of changing the liquid with the ISTA program and follow the procedures mentioned, then at the end of the procedures the ISTA program automatically resets the adjustments, I think that says it all. if we didn't have to reset prices then BMW wouldn't do it automatically
Appreciate 1
      10-14-2022, 05:37 PM   #28
fichtenweg
Rep

Alex, this is what puzzles me:

On one hand BMW's official statement says: "transmission oil should never be changed", and on the other hand ISTA includes a procedure for oil change. Isn't ISTA the official BMW dealership software? How come one contradicts the other? If BMW says "transmission oil should never be changed" so why there is this detailed procedure available in ISTA and on top of all ending with adaptation values reset?

Since BMW uses the external vendor ZF for gearbox supply, isn't actually ZF in the best position to define what's best for their own product? And ZF says: "oil change without adaptation values reset"
Appreciate 0
      10-15-2022, 06:02 AM   #29
alex_th32
Private
Germany
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by fichtenweg View Post
Alex, this is what puzzles me:

On one hand BMW's official statement says: "transmission oil should never be changed", and on the other hand ISTA includes a procedure for oil change. Isn't ISTA the official BMW dealership software? How come one contradicts the other? If BMW says "transmission oil should never be changed" so why there is this detailed procedure available in ISTA and on top of all ending with adaptation values reset?

Since BMW uses the external vendor ZF for gearbox supply, isn't actually ZF in the best position to define what's best for their own product? And ZF says: "oil change without adaptation values reset"
Hi fichtenweg,

thanks for your question, what you mentioned is very correct but.
Yes BMW states that the oil is for life but again there will be a lot of small details that will support this choice. it does not necessarily mean that this decision is correct for the automatic transmission. eg it could have been correct only for the interests of BMW.

The procedure for changing the fluid from the ISTA program is given for various reasons, for example for an intervention in the gearbox, a repair and not necessary for its maintenance.

Yes, the ISTA is from BMW.

yes I agree, ZF is the manufacturer of the automatic transmission, and the ZF company certainly knows much better than anyone.

Can you please show us where the ZF company officially states that you should not reset the custom values?
Appreciate 1
      10-16-2022, 12:01 AM   #30
fichtenweg
Rep

Hi Alex,

A very interesting and productive discussion has formed, don't you think

I absolutely understand the reasoning of both sides: BMW's promise for a longevity product and the automaker's responsibility to the extent of the warranty time.
ZF on the other hand is interested in selling supplies. They just couldn't tell you: "No, you don't need to maintain the gearbox, it's for life" - although to some extent it maybe so.

And you are right for the actual purpose of ISTA. Its primary objective is not so much the maintenance of a healthy gearbox, but actually what could have been needed after certain intervention and repairs. I admit, I missed that aspect. What ISTA offers is not necessary in line with ZF's prescriptions.

Here is the ZF's statement about the adaptation values. I have removed the ZF's agent name on purpose.
By the way, why do you call them "custom values"?

Here is a translation in English:

"ZF automatic transmissions are always filled with oil meant for the service life of the gearbox. Due to the many factors influencing the service life of transmissions in individual operation, ZF recommends an oil change for its transmissions after 150,000 km. In operating conditions with high temperatures and loads, or in case previous vehicle history is unknown, it may also make sense to change the transmission oil at shorter intervals.
The adaptation values do not have to be deleted"
Attached Images

Last edited by fichtenweg; 10-16-2022 at 04:16 PM..
Appreciate 1
      10-17-2022, 05:27 PM   #31
alex_th32
Private
Germany
Rep

Hi fichtenweg,

yes I agree and it is very interesting to exchange opinions because that way we understand as much as possible.

They defined it like this "custom values" I'm not 100% sure, I'm not an expert on the automatic transmission, but because these values are adjusted according to its operation and the values define the smooth operation of the system.

''The adaptation values do not have to be deleted''

Yes indeed it is stated in this message, but we would like more details about this decision, eg for what reason specifically.

ZF does not know what condition each automatic transmission is in. so this can be an all-encompassing decision.

I think that since we know better what condition the automatic transmission is in then we can decide on what to do. eg but if we didn't know then it would be better not to reset it.

so far I, and also by the good conversation with you this I think would be the most right, and I decide
Appreciate 1
      10-18-2022, 08:42 AM   #32
fichtenweg
Rep

Agree. The ZF's recommendation "not to" maybe best applicable for the general situation where no particular abnormalities about the gearbox performance/status are found
Appreciate 1
      11-08-2022, 10:36 AM   #33
dreaming.haze
Private
Rep
Drives: 328d xDrive wagon

Question for the group, I am having struggles getting ZF LifeguardFluid8 from FCP. Looks like they've been backordered and have no firm ETA.

https://www.fcpeuro.com/products/lif...-zf-5961308143

I'm coming up on 120k miles and wanting to service the transmission again. Thoughts on using other fluid such as:

https://www.fcpeuro.com/products/top...i-moly-lm20032

OR

https://www.fcpeuro.com/products/atf...ntosin-1058210
Appreciate 0
      11-16-2022, 09:16 PM   #34
dreaming.haze
Private
Rep
Drives: 328d xDrive wagon

Went ahead and used the Liquimoly fluid for this transmission service. So far it is driving smooth and feels fine.

Figures that the day after I get the fluid in, the LifeguardFluid8 is back in stock though.
Appreciate 0