F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > B58 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications > XHP Trans Tune - Experiences and reviews?
Extreme Powerhouse

08-27-2022, 08:50 AM   #331
PeterWT
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '17 M240i, AT, BSM

Quote:
Originally Posted by B58 View Post
Did you ever try Stage 1? It just has the torque limits removed and line pressure increased. Don't touch any other setting just leave it as is.
I haven't tried Stg1. I had it on Stg3 for a while, with the OTS maps. That was OK, but then went to Stg2 because there are features in Stg3 that I don't want/need. However, I never liked the Stg2 OTS maps. This combination of Stg2 w/ Stock maps seems to be fine.
My 2017 M240i: MHD, xHP, Modded OE Intake, AA GESi 400 CPSI Cat DP, Dinan Mid-pipe, M Performance LSD & Rear Diffuser, BMS Exhaust Tips, Apex EC-7 Wheels, M-Tech Front Lip, iND Painted Mirror Caps, Smoked Reflectors
Appreciate 0
      10-14-2022, 11:09 AM   #332
elmasry17
Private
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW x5 50!

Hey guys!

Wanted advice on doing Trans tune. I have 2012 e71 x6m and I'm a daily driver and usually don't use manual shift or use paddle shifters. So which stage do you guys recommend me to do on my car. I do drive hard though. I have velos stage 2 tune with catless downpipe from VRSF. Do I need to contact velos tune after installing xhp Tran tune. Do they have to update anything?

Thank you all for your help.
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2022, 06:15 AM   #333
locolok
Private
Rep
Drives: 320d e92

Is there a performance improvement with the stock car in the first gears? (1/2/3?) as it gives me the impression that the torque is limited in those gears.
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2022, 06:16 AM   #334
Skyhigh
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: BMW F36

Quote:
Originally Posted by locolok View Post
Is there a performance improvement with the stock car in the first gears? (1/2/3?) as it gives me the impression that the torque is limited in those gears.
Your gearbox torque limit is higher than the torque a stock engine can produce.
So no - no performance benefit, except for faster shifts.
      10-29-2022, 09:54 AM   #335
Ch4otic
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW 440i

I have a 440i 2018 and will try stage 2 soon.

I see many people remapping ZF8HP gearbox but i dont know why.

Is really necessary? What will change if i do that? I dont know how bad is slip (shorter lifespan).

Or maybe that oil temp/more pump pressure after remap.
Appreciate 0
      11-11-2022, 09:42 PM   #336
cbcharlie
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW 430i

Are there any hardware requirements for stage 2+? Do you need to have any upgraded parts
Appreciate 0
      11-12-2022, 02:42 AM   #337
Skyhigh
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbcharlie View Post
Are there any hardware requirements for stage 2+? Do you need to have any upgraded parts
Are you posting in the wrong thread….?
xHP has no Stage 2+, only 1, 2 and 3.
And how do you imagine upgrading "parts" of a gearbox?
Also - why not read the User Manual of the product….?
      11-12-2022, 12:48 PM   #338
blacksapphire440i
Novice
Rep
Drives: 2018 440i Gran Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyhigh View Post
Are you posting in the wrong thread….?
xHP has no Stage 2+, only 1, 2 and 3.
And how do you imagine upgrading "parts" of a gearbox?
Also - why not read the User Manual of the product….?
These are the clutch packs used from PuredrivetrainSolutions

https://www.raybestospowertrain.com/...ks/rgpz-283-zf
Appreciate 0
      11-13-2022, 09:13 PM   #339
jmanB45
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW 330iX Sedan

Garage List
So reading through the thread, I see everyone flashes one of the OTS Map Stages, 1, 2 or 3. However, from the xHP knowledge base, it seems the Customisation Module can be used on the stock map (by applying it to the saved backup), without needing to buy the OTS Map Pack. Has anybody tried this?

Asking as I am really only interested in altering the shift points and get the gear display in D.

https://rbttuning.atlassian.net/wiki...ckup/Uninstall

https://rbttuning.atlassian.net/wiki...isation+Module
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      11-15-2022, 07:44 PM   #340
jmanB45
Private First Class
Canada
Rep

Garage List
Further confirmed that customization tools can be applied to the stock calibration. I'll probably try it out.

https://rbttuning.atlassian.net/wiki...-xHP-Map-Pack?
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      11-15-2022, 10:26 PM   #341
kBrazy
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2017 340i M Sport

Do you need any aftermarket or any part, in general, to run stage 3 on a b58?
Appreciate 0
      11-16-2022, 01:32 AM   #342
Skyhigh
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by kBrazy View Post
Do you need any aftermarket or any part, in general, to run stage 3 on a b58?
No. No parts required for any stage of xHP!
      11-16-2022, 01:47 AM   #343
kBrazy
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2017 340i M Sport

Quote:
No. No parts required for any stage of xHP!
Appreciate 0
      11-16-2022, 01:21 PM   #344
jmanB45
Private First Class
Canada
Rep

Garage List
I emailed RBT about customizing the stock calibration and got the response below. Thought it would be useful to share. Note that Sport mode (DEC switch) keeps the higher shift points compared to Comfort.

If you just use the flash license to adjust the stock firmware, the car would behave like stock so sport would have higher shiftpoints and when you adjust them they would be higher or lower to the %-value over stock no matter of the mode.

For example if D Comfort shifts at 30 kmh from 1st to 2nd and you add 10% it would be 33 kmh, if D sport shifts at 40 kmh to 2nd with the same 10% the car should shift at 44 kmh.

Our OTS Stage 1 is mostly the stock file just without torque limiters and gear display.

The run in phase have to be done only if you flash one of our maps for the first time, changing settings on your stock map does not require it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmanB45 View Post
Further confirmed that customization tools can be applied to the stock calibration. I'll probably try it out.

https://rbttuning.atlassian.net/wiki...-xHP-Map-Pack?
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2022, 11:14 PM   #345
vooheese
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW F20-120i

Quote:
Originally Posted by TBONE1969 View Post
I've been running stage 3 for about 2 weeks, almost always in Sports+. My big complaint is how the car shifts when left in automatic mode. It shifts at or around 2000rpm at mid-throttle around town. It then drops even further out of boost in the next gear. I've tried pushing the shift points up by 50% (which should be 3000 rpm?), but I'm still not happy with it. Ideally the car would never drop out of the boost range when it grabs the next gear. Anyone have a fix for this?
I have the same complain, the dropping RPM leads to jerky feeling when the next gear was engaging because the torque is too low and trans needs to lift the RPM first. Especially at engaging 2nd gear in low speed. The scenario is when you brake the car to about 2nd gear speed and then you want to increase the speed again.

Any solution? For this matter, OEM did much better, any time you touch the pedal, the power is aways there. The difference is that OEM map needs long to put the power out but no jerky feeling. XHP will shake first and then quicker to perform the power.
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2022, 12:05 AM   #346
vooheese
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW F20-120i

Quote:
Originally Posted by winther1 View Post
Going to experiment with the shift points - I assume it can be changed to suit your driving style.
I just read this: https://www.xhpflashtool.com/blog/ho..._logic_of_8hp/
The way I understand it is that unlike stock, D is now more of an eco mode with low shift points - selecting sport+ in D just makes the shifts quicker unlike stock where it raised the shift points. With xHP you need to use S to get higher shift points - unless you alter the map settings.

I think if you push one time track control off, you will have your higher rev gear change logic back.
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2022, 03:41 AM   #347
dangerus_car
Banned
Rep
Drives: F30

i forgot to back up the stock map, i am guessing that when you flash the first time, xhp already automatically backed up the stock map?

Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2022, 07:28 PM   #348
tpoddar
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW 320i B48

Custom Shiftmaps

Hey guys,
I had a question about using custom shift maps with XHP Stage 3. I was having issues with the gearbox shifting up too early (thus lugging the engine) so I made changes to the D Mode. I would like to use custom settings in D mode while retaining stage 3 behavior in S mode. However, it seems like I have to choose between Presets for S mode too and the choices seem to apply to the stock S mode shift map (I tried neutral) rather than the Stage 3 shift map. Am I correct in my hypothesis that changing the shift map requires changing both D and S mode and I can't leave S mode to Stage 3 while making changes in D? I've attached a screenshot of my setup below. Any help would be appreciated.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      12-12-2022, 01:44 AM   #349
Skyhigh
Brigadier General
Rep

Neutral is the default. If you leave it to neutral, it is whatever is default for the stage you are in.
You can adjust the shifting points for D only as you prefer using one of the presets or customise them. I have done so too and went for earlier shifts in D (somewhere between Relaxed and Neutral) for fuel economy.

P.s. I felt that "How does it work" text on top provides good explanation of what the setting does.

Last edited by Skyhigh; 12-12-2022 at 03:51 AM..
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2022, 03:13 AM   #350
locolok
Private
Rep
Drives: 320d e92

Hello.

I have stage 1 mhd on my 440i and I would like to know if xhp is worth it for a stage 1, could you tell me what I will notice? I'm not interested in the faster gears since for me the box is fast enough as it is stock

I also notice that in comfort mode in D, it changes too soon, many times right after upshifting a gear you have to downshift it again because it drops to 1,000rpm, is it possible that it is due to stage 1 of the engine?
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2022, 03:48 AM   #351
Skyhigh
Brigadier General
Rep

xHP offers, apart from slightly faster shifts, a wide range of customisation settings. Those can be handy irrespective of any engine tuning. I had xHP before any tuning on the engine. There is no link there really, apart from the removal of torque limiters on the gearbox, which is considered essential for a tuned engine, although most tuning platforms now have a way to "cheat" around them. (I personally prefer removing them, as then the correct torque also gets reported... you have seen the opposite in your logs)

Your observation cannot be due to engine tuning, but is a good example of something you can influence with xHP - change the shifting points as you see fit. I have actually done the opposite in D - lowered the shifting points a bit for fuel economy. Especially with a tuned engine, I feel there is enough torque down low to not need high RPMs. For sporty driving - there is S. But everyone is different, hence the customisation possibilities of xHP.
      12-12-2022, 08:10 AM   #352
tpoddar
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW 320i B48

Quote:
Neutral is the default. If you leave it to neutral, it is whatever is default for the stage you are in.
You can adjust the shifting points for D only as you prefer using one of the presets or customise them. I have done so too and went for earlier shifts in D (somewhere between Relaxed and Neutral) for fuel economy.

P.s. I felt that "How does it work" text on top provides good explanation of what the setting does.
Hey that's exactly what I thought too but after testing it seems like the S mode switches to the stock shift map behavior rather than Stage 3 behavior. Might just be a bug with the app/flash. I will reflash and test it out again. Thanks for the help!
Appreciate 0