F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > N20, N26, B46, B48 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications > N20 Catless Straight pipe
Studio RSR

11-09-2022, 08:13 PM   #1
midwest_f30
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2013 F30 328i

N20 Catless Straight pipe

I was putting on my axleback straight pipe from Rev9 (335i conversion) during my auto shop class in school today.
Minor adjustments had to be made however, when I came back my Shop teacher who was in charge of completing the pipe connection told me that when everything was put on, there was TOO MUCH back pressure which caused my car's computer to inaccurately produce a good air:fuel map which caused poor power.
He also stated that "it was barely moving"…"You need to put a muffler back on for back pressure" and "Whenever I started it up, it wouldn't go and just dies." Now hearing this made me worry as I did do some research on this conversion and this problem never occured to cross my mind. However, I was not there to see it myself as when I picked my car up it was back to the exhaust just being dumped in the middle of my car again.
Before I proceed to connect the axleback and maing piping again, is this a problem that anyone's faced? Or does it some wrong? Or should I just connect it and see for myself?
Appreciate 0
      11-26-2022, 12:24 PM   #2
SammyNumberOne
Rep
Drives: BMW F30 328IX with forged N26

Sound like something off, you have guys running straight 3" pipe with no issues it just loud
Did car started popping any codes if so what are they or just run like crap.
Yeah I would install my self and see what it doing to go in further investigation...
Appreciate 1
      11-26-2022, 12:27 PM   #3
midwest_f30
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2013 F30 328i

Quote:
Originally Posted by SammyNumberOne View Post
Sound like something off, you have guys running straight 3" pipe with no issues it just loud
Did car started popping any codes if so what are they or just run like crap.
Yeah I would install my self and see what it doing to go in further investigation...
Yeah, did it mysef and had no problems they started my car up and didn't even let it warm up and just floored it lmao, never trust them again to work on my car
Appreciate 0
      11-26-2022, 02:15 PM   #4
tringuyen7757
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW 528i

Garage List
2014 BMW 528i  [7.20]
Quote:
Originally Posted by midwest_f30 View Post
I was putting on my axleback straight pipe from Rev9 (335i conversion) during my auto shop class in school today.
Minor adjustments had to be made however, when I came back my Shop teacher who was in charge of completing the pipe connection told me that when everything was put on, there was TOO MUCH back pressure which caused my car's computer to inaccurately produce a good air:fuel map which caused poor power.
He also stated that "it was barely moving"…"You need to put a muffler back on for back pressure" and "Whenever I started it up, it wouldn't go and just dies." Now hearing this made me worry as I did do some research on this conversion and this problem never occured to cross my mind. However, I was not there to see it myself as when I picked my car up it was back to the exhaust just being dumped in the middle of my car again.
Before I proceed to connect the axleback and maing piping again, is this a problem that anyone's faced? Or does it some wrong? Or should I just connect it and see for myself?
i don't know what your teacher is talking about because you only worry about back pressure when the exhaust system is too restrictive. you're eliminating the restriction in the exhaust with that rev 9 system so it'll only be loud. he definitely didn't like a loud 4 cyl so thats why he made "excuses" 😂