F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > N55 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications > Misfiring N55
Studio RSR

03-27-2019, 08:12 PM   #23
akgambino
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2013 F30 335xi M-Sport (PWG)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rebound View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by 13blk335ix View Post
no codes thrown. I have bm3 stage 1 and it's been happening ever since I installed it
So... you'd want to disconnect the BM3 to see if the misfires stop, right? I don't think you need to remove it altogether, just unplug its connections to see if the problem goes away.
Unplug bootmod3. 🤦*♂️
      03-27-2019, 08:23 PM   #24
blakeelkin
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2013 335i M-Sport

Speaking of tunes... anyone try out the MHD tune yet??? How does it shape up against bm3, or even Jb4 for that matter. I've heard bm3 gives smoother response.
Appreciate 0
      03-28-2019, 01:59 AM   #25
13blk335ix
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW F30 N55 335ix 6mt

Garage List
2013 BMW 335ix  [0.00]
I gapped them at .018 because there was still hesitation at .024. the hesitation has improved now but is still there
Appreciate 0
      03-28-2019, 02:01 AM   #26
13blk335ix
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2013 BMW 335ix  [0.00]
I have bm3 and love it
Appreciate 1
      03-28-2019, 02:02 AM   #27
13blk335ix
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2013 BMW 335ix  [0.00]
I have put the stock tune on and the hesitation isnt there only when bm3 is on
Appreciate 0
      03-28-2019, 08:05 AM   #28
blakeelkin
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
I gapped them at .018 because there was still hesitation at .024. the hesitation has improved now but is still there
I gotta go to work right now but I found this comprehensive thread talking about spark plugs that I'm pretty sure will answer anything plug wise for you:
https://f30.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1531734
Appreciate 0
      03-28-2019, 10:44 AM   #29
13blk335ix
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2013 BMW 335ix  [0.00]
thank you for finding that. but spark plugs are now ruled out. the stutter was there with the oem ones and still persists after ngks
Appreciate 0
      03-28-2019, 12:50 PM   #30
akgambino
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Quote:
thank you for finding that. but spark plugs are now ruled out. the stutter was there with the oem ones and still persists after ngks
Clutch slipping.
      03-28-2019, 01:26 PM   #31
Rebound
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F33: The 435i Convertible

Quote:
Originally Posted by akgambino View Post
Quote:
Quote:
no codes thrown. I have bm3 stage 1 and it's been happening ever since I installed it
So... you'd want to disconnect the BM3 to see if the misfires stop, right? I don't think you need to remove it altogether, just unplug its connections to see if the problem goes away.
Unplug bootmod3. 🤦*♂️
Lo and behold, unplugging the mod made the problem go away. So there.

So why would a more aggressive tune lead to misfires? Perhaps the octane is too low, or maybe older plugs will help?

Or maybe the BM3 wasn't connected tightly, and getting a bad reading? Or it could be defective.
Appreciate 0
      03-28-2019, 01:29 PM   #32
akgambino
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Unplug bootmod3. 🤦*♂️

So why would a more aggressive tune lead to misfires? Perhaps the octane is too low, or maybe older plugs will help?

Or maybe the BM3 wasn't connected tightly, and getting a bad reading? Or it could be defective.
Man are u slow or something? Bootmod3 is a flash tune it doesn't get "plugged in" or "unplugged" or have a "loose connection". Wow.
      03-28-2019, 01:36 PM   #33
Rebound
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Unplug bootmod3. 🤦*♂️

Man are u slow or something? Bootmod3 is a flash tune it doesn't get "plugged in" or "unplugged" or have a "loose connection". Wow.
Ok, it's a software tune. ($500 for a software tune... damn!) Still, disabling it solves the misfire.
Appreciate 0
      03-28-2019, 01:44 PM   #34
akgambino
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Unplug bootmod3. 🤦*♂️

Ok, it's a software tune. ($500 for a software tune... damn!) Still, disabling it solves the misfire.
Alls I'm saying is I wouldn't take advice on causes of misfiring on a flash tuned car from someone who thought bootmod3 was something you plug-in and suggested to unplug it or anyone who seemed to think $500 for a flash tune is "damn".

Buddy who has made 20 different posts about his misfiring n55 should prepare himself for the news that it is actually his clutch slipping and the dme detecting misfire based on the slippage. And people in general should get over trying to solve everybodies problems they have on their cars by telling them to change spark plus or adjust spark plug gap and then when they waste their time and money doing that they come back and say to get new coil packs and when that fails.... unplug bootmod3.
      03-28-2019, 04:35 PM   #35
Rebound
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Unplug bootmod3. 🤦*♂️

Alls I'm saying is I wouldn't take advice on causes of misfiring on a flash tuned car from someone who thought bootmod3 was something you plug-in and suggested to unplug it or anyone who seemed to think $500 for a flash tune is "damn".

Buddy who has made 20 different posts about his misfiring n55 should prepare himself for the news that it is actually his clutch slipping and the dme detecting misfire based on the slippage. And people in general should get over trying to solve everybodies problems they have on their cars by telling them to change spark plus or adjust spark plug gap and then when they waste their time and money doing that they come back and say to get new coil packs and when that fails.... unplug bootmod3.
It's just an engine. Fuel, air and spark. Toyota, BMW, whatever.

He said that disabling his Bootmod solves the problem, so it doesn't seem like a slipping clutch to me, it seems that the misfire happens under the higher stress conditions when the tune is enabled... fuel flow increases, heat increases, cylinder pressure increases. These all point to an ignition-related condition, but of course I can't say for certain.

If there's 200 left on the warranty, I'd try to reproduce without the Bootmod and report it, that way, the repair still needs to be made even if mileage exceeds the warranty maximum.
Appreciate 0
      03-28-2019, 05:00 PM   #36
akgambino
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Unplug bootmod3. 🤦*♂️

He said that disabling his Bootmod solves the problem, so it doesn't seem like a slipping clutch to me, it seems that the misfire happens under the higher stress conditions when the tune is enabled... fuel flow increases, heat increases, cylinder pressure increases. These all point to an ignition-related condition, but of course I can't say for certain.

If there's 200 left on the warranty, I'd try to reproduce without the Bootmod and report it, that way, the repair still needs to be made even if mileage exceeds the warranty maximum.
I can say for certain that you should go do some more research!

Clutch slips when running tune due to approx 100wtq more than what the car pushes through the clutch stock. Dme reads the slippage as misfire and pulls load/timing. Stock clutch not designed for so much torque.
      03-28-2019, 10:41 PM   #37
blakeelkin
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Unplug bootmod3. 🤦*♂️

I can say for certain that you should go do some more research!

Clutch slips when running tune due to approx 100wtq more than what the car pushes through the clutch stock. Dme reads the slippage as misfire and pulls load/timing. Stock clutch not designed for so much torque.
I just told him about the coils because that's the next thing after plugs to cause misfires, wasn't aware of how much more power he was running. Glad someone knew what it was and could get his problem solved!

I just got my car back today, they couldn't figure shit out. They logged the engine and checked injectors but all they told me was that they couldn't fix it and it's most likely a coil misfire. Only thing is I just changed the coils specifically because of the misfiring so now I'm just clueless. Engine seems to misfire more when cold.
Appreciate 0
      03-28-2019, 10:46 PM   #38
blakeelkin
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Ah just saw this, didn't see it in the morning when I linked you about the coils haha. Damn for that to be the case you must be pushing a bunch of power! Any idea how much??
Appreciate 0
      03-28-2019, 11:01 PM   #39
blakeelkin
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Unplug bootmod3. 🤦*♂️

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Unplug bootmod3. 🤦*♂️

Uhh I'm not the one with the bootmod, but I am the one with 200 miles left on the warranty however. Still dunno what's wrong sadly enough. Bimmer shop couldn't figure anything out.
Appreciate 0
      03-29-2019, 12:45 AM   #40
Rebound
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by blakeelkin View Post
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Unplug bootmod3. 🤦*♂️

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Unplug bootmod3. 🤦*♂️

Uhh I'm not the one with the bootmod, but I am the one with 200 miles left on the warranty however. Still dunno what's wrong sadly enough. Bimmer shop couldn't figure anything out.
If it's a BMW factory warranty, report the problem before the warranty expires.
Appreciate 0
      03-29-2019, 01:33 AM   #41
tauzins
Wing Chun Shifter Speed
Rep
Drives: 2015 Tanz M4

check your injectors, when my car was making weird idle/stumbles on WOT I guess my injectors weren't to spec, but weren't bad enough to throw any codes. I didn't know anything till my HPFP failed and took out my injectors too.

Totaled:F30 335i | ER Chargepipe | ER Down-Pipe | Wagner Intercooler | BMS Intake | Meisterschaft Exhaust | MHD BEF JB4 Map 3 / 30% e85 / 50/50 Meth
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2019, 03:24 PM   #42
Chriske92
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW 328i

Quote:
Originally Posted by blakeelkin View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chriske92 View Post
My misfire was turbo related. They installed a new turbo under warranty
Haha was just looking up if people got their turbo switched out because of that garage wastegate rattle. Any other symptoms that accompanied the turbo issue? Did you have a similar misfire around medium throttle while shifted into a higher gear? My car completely stumbles two or three times when giving it gas at highway speeds
My misfire took place when i wanted to overtake a car and switching into lower gear
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2019, 08:51 PM   #43
13blk335ix
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2013 BMW 335ix  [0.00]
i changed my coils last week and the hesitation when downshifting went away. today i was driving and it is happening again.
recap. i am running bm3 stage 2 e30. changed to ngk spark plugs gapped at .018 3k miles ago. changed all coils about two weeks ago. i have cleaned my maf. i have used chevron techron multiple times the last year. i have er chargepipe and wagner evo 2 comp intercooler. a res delete and wagner catless downpipe. afe pro dry drop in filter.

my car has 74k miles. is getting a walnut blast the next step?

car runs beautifully when i take off bm3. no rough idle or hesitations when normally driving. only in wot.

my car is 6mt 2013 f30 335ix n55.

i am discouraged because why should i continue to mod if i cant hold the power i have now.

i have hit up pro tuning freaks about this but not since i changed my coils because i thought issue was resolved. i have sent them logs too.
back to the drawing board.
Appreciate 0