F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > Regional Forums > UK > Creaking Noise Door Seals
Studio RSR

05-15-2018, 04:24 PM   #45
goodbyalfa
King of the North (living in the east...)
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M340i mineral white

Quote:
Originally Posted by r1cey View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by goodbyalfa View Post
Clean the seals with meths. Clean the window recess where the glass goes with with meths. Switch to ag car shampoo, job done. You might have to repeat the meths wipe down one more time a week or so later, but this sorts it without resorting to the ugly felt tape solution.
I had the tape fix from my local dealer and all was well, but the creaking has come back :-(
However, while taking the young lad to McD’s the other day, opened the window and never bothered closing it due to this lovely weather we’re getting, and on the way home noticed the creaking stopped! Tested this further by fully closing the window, creaked like hell, dropped the window about 1cm, nothing, so would appear that the window is creaking against the door window seal.
What properties are in meths that make a difference compared to cleaning with anything else? (tried adhesive cleaner, never worked).
Thanks in advance.
It's basically just pure alcohol (ethanol and methanol mix, I'm a chemist so have ready access) so will strip off the contaminant oils and residues.
Open the window slightly to allow you to thoroughly clean the top of the glass contact area and try to clean where the glass enters the slot with a paper towel soaked in meths.
You could start with dilute fairy liquid, then water, then the meths. The main thing is to strip away any residues from the contact area. Be very careful with quick detailer fluids as they tend to leave a film which will set off the old ship syndrome again.
2015 330D F30 MSport EBII
2012 Alfa Guilietta 2.0d Veloce
2009 Fiat bravo sport
2000 ST Mondeo
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2018, 04:58 PM   #46
Tengocity
General
Scotland
Rep
Drives: 911, Cayenne Turbo, Disco 4

Quote:
Quote:
Clean the seals with meths. Clean the window recess where the glass goes with with meths. Switch to ag car shampoo, job done. You might have to repeat the meths wipe down one more time a week or so later, but this sorts it without resorting to the ugly felt tape solution.
I had the tape fix from my local dealer and all was well, but the creaking has come back :-(
However, while taking the young lad to McD’s the other day, opened the window and never bothered closing it due to this lovely weather we’re getting, and on the way home noticed the creaking stopped! Tested this further by fully closing the window, creaked like hell, dropped the window about 1cm, nothing, so would appear that the window is creaking against the door window seal.
What properties are in meths that make a difference compared to cleaning with anything else? (tried adhesive cleaner, never worked).
Thanks in advance.
It's not the window in the door seal, it's the pressure that the window edge puts on the top seal it goes in to, which then rubs against the metal door frame.
Current: Porsche 911 991 C4S, Porsche Cayenne Turbo, Land Rover Discovery 4. Gone...G01 X3 M40i, Cayman S 987, F31 340i, Cayman GT4, F82 M4 CP, Lotus Exige V6, G20 330e, F30 330e, Boxster S 987, F31 335d, Mini Cooper SD, E89 Z4, E90 330d 320d, E60 520d, E46 330d 320d, MX5s, E30 325i
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2018, 12:06 AM   #47
goodbyalfa
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tengocity View Post
Quote:
Quote:
However, while taking the young lad to McD's the other day, opened the window and never bothered closing it due to this lovely weather we're getting, and on the way home noticed the creaking stopped! Tested this further by fully closing the window, creaked like hell, dropped the window about 1cm, nothing, so would appear that the window is creaking against the door window seal.
Thanks in advance.
It's not the window in the door seal, it's the pressure that the window edge puts on the top seal it goes in to, which then rubs against the metal door frame.
I found cleaning both was important and at various times were contributing to the rubbing noise.
But yes, also clean the black shiny plastic contract area where the door meets with the shell at the top.
2009 Fiat bravo sport
2000 ST Mondeo
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2018, 06:00 AM   #48
DriveS
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F30 335d

My experience is different to this. After lubrication of my seals I found the creaking was even worse. I found a thread which s.ays the creaking comes from the felt along the top door edge contacting the paint. It said to apply PTFE tape to the paint along this contact area only. I did that and have not had a single creak in 15 months.
I even wrote a thread about it with the procedure in.
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2018, 06:17 AM   #49
goodbyalfa
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by DriveS View Post
My experience is different to this. After lubrication of my seals I found the creaking was even worse. I found a thread which s.ays the creaking comes from the felt along the top door edge contacting the paint. It said to apply PTFE tape to the paint along this contact area only. I did that and have not had a single creak in 15 months.
I even wrote a thread about it with the procedure in.
I'm certainly not suggesting lubricating anything. If needs to be spotlessly clean, and free of residue.
The tape when badly applied looks pants.
2009 Fiat bravo sport
2000 ST Mondeo
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2018, 07:05 AM   #50
Tribalpinoy911
First Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep
Drives: F34

This is pretty well documented. If you do a search you'll find tons of info. The tape, gumnifledge, seal replacement are all viable solutions that have worked for people. If car is under warranty they will fix it.
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2018, 03:39 PM   #51
DriveS
Lieutenant
Rep

http://f30.bimmerpost.com/forums/sho...ght=door+seals
Appreciate 0
      07-10-2018, 07:38 PM   #52
vadimo
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2014 F30 320D X-Drive

Garage List
2020 M340i  [0.00]
UPDATE

https://www.m3post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1017134

I have red above thread which is very good at describing where the squeak contact occurs, i then red elsewhere recommendation of using Extreme Fluoro Pure PFPAE Grease Syringe Grease, so i have applied it and its been a quiet week, i also tested by pressing with finger on to the seal from outside which would make the noise, now it doesn't either, not sure how long it lasts but its a sticky paste stuff.

I also red Service Information bulletin on BMW Squeaking Noise From Door Frame Area While Driving. It does state that dirt can amplify squeak and that it is down to the door seal, it sort of suggest both options replace it with superior revised part number or use teflon tape.

So i dont agree with those that say its down to shampoo products because predominately issue is due to the seal design.

if it was me with warranty still, i would be insisting on full seal replacement!
Current Ride: 2020 G20 M340i in Metallic Black Sapphire with Individual Full Merino Ivory White and Piano Black Trim Previous Ride1: 2014 F30 M Sport 320D X-Drive Auto, Dakota Beige Leather, M Sport Brakes, Adaptive M Suspension, Paddle Shifters, 19" 403 Alloys, Folding Mirrors, Pro Sat Nav & Harman Kardon Surround Sound. Previous Ride2: 2004 E46 M Sport 320CI Auto, Montana Beige Leather & 18" 135M Alloys.
Appreciate 0
      07-11-2018, 06:46 AM   #53
goodbyalfa
United Kingdom
Rep

I've found recently the best fix to this issue.
Switch to a 440i 4GC with frameless doors. No squeaking to report here...
2009 Fiat bravo sport
2000 ST Mondeo
Appreciate 2
vadimo310.00
Pequin230.00
      07-11-2018, 07:09 AM   #54
onstat
Second Lieutenant
Wales
Rep
Drives: 335d Touring

Ive finally had the correct tape fix applied to my car yesterday and its been a lovely squeak free day today.

I previously had the tape applied last year but it started squeaking agin after a couple of weeks. Only after reading into the threads on here did I realise they must have given the job to the YTS boy for the day as theyd applied the tape to the painted body underneath the seals on the door

Fingers crossed it stays creak free!
      07-12-2018, 09:11 AM   #55
B58_Touring
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F31 340i

Garage List
Had mine in for the creaking fix a couple of weeks ago, it didn't last a day before i noticed it creaking like mad again. Looks like they haven't done the job right the first time. Bit sick of dropping my car off to get looked at to be honest
Appreciate 0
      07-12-2018, 10:26 AM   #56
perryo91
Captain
Uganda
Rep
Drives: 335

Quote:
Originally Posted by onstat View Post
Ive finally had the correct tape fix applied to my car yesterday and its been a lovely squeak free day today.

I previously had the tape applied last year but it started squeaking agin after a couple of weeks. Only after reading into the threads on here did I realise they must have given the job to the YTS boy for the day as theyd applied the tape to the painted body underneath the seals on the door

So wait where am I supposed to put the tape? I put it on the bottom part of my shadow line trim and that doesn’t do shit I’m still squeaking.
Appreciate 0
      07-12-2018, 12:04 PM   #57
goodbyalfa
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by perryo91 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by onstat View Post

So wait where am I supposed to put the tape? I put it on the bottom part of my shadow line trim and that doesn’t do shit I’m still squeaking.
Despite what others have said, read my post on cleaning the window contact area. When I dropped the windows on my f30 all signs of the sunken creaky old battleship went away, which suggests to me that this area is the main contributer to the noise.
2009 Fiat bravo sport
2000 ST Mondeo
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2018, 03:55 AM   #58
Martan
Private First Class
Rep

Just had the teflon tape fix done yesterday, we'll see if it fixes it long term.

On another subject, I've had squeaky brakes since day one, they looked at them a few months ago but couldnt find anything wrong? This time they've replaced discs and pads on the front!
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2018, 02:35 PM   #59
H2B
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2020 MW X5 40i MSport

Garage List
2017 BMW 340i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Martan View Post
Just had the teflon tape fix done yesterday, we'll see if it fixes it long term.

On another subject, I've had squeaky brakes since day one, they looked at them a few months ago but couldnt find anything wrong? This time they've replaced discs and pads on the front!
Performance brakes (I'm assuming that's what you have, the M Sport blue ones or better) tend to generate a lot more dust from the pads, causing a buildup across the brake disc and the brake pad surface leading to the terrible squeaky sound. Its practically inevitable on any car with a sports braking setup. The only way I know of to get the whine out is to use them hard a couple of times.

It's as if the brakes are edging you on for a good thrashing. They love being used!
2014 Audi Q5 S-line (retired)
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2018, 04:06 AM   #60
Malone
Captain
Rep
Drives: 340i Touring Shadow Ed. MPPSK

I just sprayed the door seals with this, seems to have worked a treat:

https://eshop.wurth.co.uk/Adhesive-l...sku/en/GB/GBP/
      07-15-2018, 03:03 PM   #61
r1cey
First Lieutenant
Scotland
Rep
Drives: VW Golf R

Quote:
It's basically just pure alcohol (ethanol and methanol mix, I'm a chemist so have ready access) so will strip off the contaminant oils and residues.
Open the window slightly to allow you to thoroughly clean the top of the glass contact area and try to clean where the glass enters the slot with a paper towel soaked in meths.
You could start with dilute fairy liquid, then water, then the meths. The main thing is to strip away any residues from the contact area. Be very careful with quick detailer fluids as they tend to leave a film which will set off the old ship syndrome again.
Cleaned all the seals today, and inside the door window seals with Meths, what a difference!!!
Also started using dodo juice born to be mild, as recommended by some on here, so hopefully and end to the creaky ship woes! Fingers crossed.
Rejected: F20 M140i Auto in Valencia Orange
Gone: F30 320i Auto X-Drive M-Sport
Appreciate 1
goodbyalfa1055.00
      03-24-2019, 04:19 PM   #62
kiwicmc
Registered
New Zealand
Rep
Drives: BMW M340i Touring

Meths worked for me

Similar story to all the above. Very loud creaking started - possibly after a detail - only used meths on the very top edge of every door and noise has disappeared completely.
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2019, 05:44 PM   #63
Pequin
Captain
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Enthusiastically

Anyone tried KY? 🤪
      03-25-2019, 10:48 PM   #64
sspade
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: F30

Garage List
2016 BMW 320i  [7.87]
2014 BMW 328i  [6.83]
Three words:

Gummi Pflege Stift
Appreciate 0
      03-26-2019, 04:45 AM   #65
r1cey
First Lieutenant
Scotland
Rep
Drives: VW Golf R

Since this thread has been revived....

The cleaning of the seals with meths, and using specific cleaning products, never lasted long on my M140 (less than a month), so took it back to the dealer and told them I’d had enough of it, so they replaced all of the seals under warranty (dealer said BMW had made an improvement to the seals (which I thought was probably BULL), but the creaking was totally eliminated, and not a peep since!)

Recommend anyone having this problem pushes for seal replacement
Appreciate 1
Pequin230.00
      03-26-2019, 07:21 AM   #66
Blacktemplar
Brigadier General
Ukraine
Rep
Drives: X3 M40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by KCH1984 View Post
OP - get some of this.

I have the Teflon tape fix from BMW and my door seals still creak depending on the cleaning product I've used. Most recently it creaked like hell after having the car detailed.

That gummi stuff is enough to get rid of the creaking and I normally stick a bit round the seals every other wash.
Have to say my experience has been different - the Gummi Pfledge works OK, but doesn't completely eliminate the creaking, and it comes back quite quickly.

I used to use Bilt Hamber shampoo, but have now moved on to Autofinesse and it makes no difference.

One of the 'interesting' effects I've noticed as pointed out above is that for the driver's door at least, if I drop the window fractionally the creaking stops completely. Not sure if that's down to the glass preventing any flex in the door frame when it's up and therefore allowing the frame itself to flex a little, or something else.

Car will be going in to have the seals looked at before end of warranty checks in a few months time.

Last edited by Blacktemplar; 03-26-2019 at 07:29 AM..
Appreciate 0