F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > General F30 Sedan / F32 Coupe / F36 Gran Coupe Forum > Lease Return - 9 Months Early
ARMA SPEED

03-18-2019, 03:39 PM   #1
laidback93
Private
Rep
Drives: 2020 M340i, 1990 325is

Lease Return - 9 Months Early

I hate to start another lease thread, but here it goes.

I have 9 months left on my 340i lease and BMW already hit me up for a pre-inspection. Seems a bit premature, but maybe they want my car since I can't find any others spec'd out like mine in their network. This is Chapman BMW in Phoenix.

I thought about taking them up on the pre-inspection to see what I could be potentially dinged on. I can tell you that two wheels have minor curb rash, the windshield was replaced with a non BMW branded windshield (long story) and I have some minor scratches on the front bumper due to a damn shredded tire on the freeway. Not too noticeable unless you really look for them.

My question is this, do I even waste my time getting the inspection done at this point in time? I'd like to know what they're going to ding me on, but I know they just want me to come in to get me into another lease. At least that's my thoughts.

Even if I was to get into another lease, which is a slim chance, it would be the M340i which won't be available until November.

I also wouldn't mind buying my current car outright at lease end, but judging from some threads I've read here, that probably won't work in my favor. Doesn't seem BMW likes to budge on the RV.

What to do, what to do...
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2019, 04:34 PM   #2
Dougie_Juice
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 340i xDrive M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by laidback93 View Post

I have 9 months left on my 340i lease and BMW already hit me up for a pre-inspection. Seems a bit premature, but maybe they want my car since I can't find any others spec'd out like mine in their network. This is Chapman BMW in Phoenix.

I thought about taking them up on the pre-inspection to see what I could be potentially dinged on. I can tell you that two wheels have minor curb rash, the windshield was replaced with a non BMW branded windshield (long story) and I have some minor scratches on the front bumper due to a damn shredded tire on the freeway. Not too noticeable unless you really look for them.

My question is this, do I even waste my time getting the inspection done at this point in time? I'd like to know what they're going to ding me on, but I know they just want me to come in to get me into another lease. At least that's my thoughts.

Even if I was to get into another lease, which is a slim chance, it would be the M340i which won't be available until November.

I also wouldn't mind buying my current car outright at lease end, but judging from some threads I've read here, that probably won't work in my favor. Doesn't seem BMW likes to budge on the RV.

Wait until lease end. You have no bargaining power and won't be able to negotiate a good deal as they'll hold your remaining payments over your head. Even if they waived same, you'd now be stuck with a non-negotiated monthly lease price on your new vehicle. Moreover, you know the car you would be interested is not available. But hey, as soon as the new 340's arrive, I'd be down there for a pre-inspection and test drive.
Appreciate 1
      03-18-2019, 04:44 PM   #3
TheBingoBalls
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: BMW

Garage List
I wouldn't bother. There is absolutely no incentive financially for you to even consider. At best they could do a pull-ahead but that would be only 4 payments so you would still need to cover 5 payments and if you're interested in the M340i, the initial rates and residual are going to be terrible. You mix in terrible rates/residual with your remaining payments, that's going to be one very expensive lease for a M340i.
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2019, 04:54 PM   #4
Gen13 F36
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 428i Gran Coupe

Yup without getting a clean slate offer ....I won't bother either.
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2019, 04:56 PM   #5
laidback93
Private
Rep

Thanks guys and totally agree with you. I'm going to hold off until December and stop worrying for now.

And yes, the initial rates and lack of incentives on the M340i is going to be terrible.

Makes me wonder if I should extend my lease for a bit.
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2019, 05:15 PM   #6
BEM-S4
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Dinan M235, Dinan Sport Wagon

Once you have 3 payments remaining they'll start giving you incentives to buy. I just bought my F31 and got $4k rebate from BMW.
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2019, 05:21 PM   #7
laidback93
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BEM-S4 View Post
Once you have 3 payments remaining they'll start giving you incentives to buy. I just bought my F31 and got $4k rebate from BMW.
Really? They gave you a 4K rebate to buy your F31 outright? That's great news.

I keep reading stories about BMW not budging at all on lease buyouts.
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2019, 05:27 PM   #8
jmg
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: G82 M4C X-Drive

Garage List
2022 G82 M4C X-Drive  [9.85]
2018 F80 M3 CS  [9.87]
2019 i3 BEV  [0.00]
Quote:

The purpose of the pre-inspection is to get you at the dealer so you can use them to fix all the little problems with the car that they find so they can make money. BMW will send you a kit where you can do all the measurements to see if you need to fix anything. But even then, on the day you return the car, if you get another car, most likely the dealer will let things slide.

Additionally, yes, they will try and get you to do a pull ahead and lease a new car.

You can do a lease extension, which I have done, if you want to wait on the M340i. You can get 2 months no questions asked. You will get some additional miles and your payment will be the same as it is now. However, you will have to pay for the registration, but iirc part of that is refundable upon completion of the lease extension, my memory is fuzzy, call to check.

To get an additional 3 months, you will have to have a new BMW on order and a PO#.

2022 G82///M4 Competition X-Drive - KW-HAS, EBC Bluestuff, Millway Race Camber Plates, Cup2 Connect*, PSI High Flow Midpipe, Lightweight Front Lip, M Perf Flow Through Wing
Previous • 2018 F80 ///M3 CS • 2016 F80 ///M3
IG: Raging_G82
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2019, 05:38 PM   #9
BEM-S4
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Really? They gave you a 4K rebate to buy your F31 outright? That's great news.

I keep reading stories about BMW not budging at all on lease buyouts.
Well dealers used to buy then do a pass through deal and sell to you for less than residual. Then BMW banned that and nothing was happening. Now they're doing the rebates.

My F31 yes the buyout was residual less the $4k free money. My F23 for example is due in June and the rebate is only $900 now. Will see what happens once I'm closer to end, seems it varies quite a bit car to car and month to month.
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2019, 11:42 PM   #10
IK6SPEED
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M3 / AH3

Quote:

Read the letter carefully. BMWFS does not send you out a letter for pre-inspection 9 months out.

However, unlike other responses, I see no downside to finding out lease turn in issues in advance.
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2019, 10:10 AM   #11
laidback93
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by IK6SPEED View Post
Read the letter carefully. BMWFS does not send you out a letter for pre-inspection 9 months out.

However, unlike other responses, I see no downside to finding out lease turn in issues in advance.
The letter came from my local BMW dealer, not BMWFS. Which leads me to believe they want to relieve me of my 340i and put me into an X3.

The SA sure tried a few months ago. UGH
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2019, 10:19 AM   #12
328iX
David
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 328iX F31

A lease is a lease, nobody is forcing you to do anything, if you don't want too, you don't have too. Why is this even a discussion.
Appreciate 1
      03-19-2019, 11:30 AM   #13
IK6SPEED
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M3 / AH3

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by IK6SPEED View Post

The letter came from my local BMW dealer, not BMWFS. Which leads me to believe they want to relieve me of my 340i and put me into an X3.

The SA sure tried a few months ago. UGH
Your OP stated it came from BMW as opposed to the Dealer, which is why I suggested it was not from BMW.
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2019, 01:43 PM   #14
laidback93
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 328dX View Post
A lease is a lease, nobody is forcing you to do anything, if you don't want too, you don't have too. Why is this even a discussion.
So helpful...

I received some good advice here.

If you don't like it, move on the the next thread.
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2019, 09:11 PM   #15
quikM2
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2017 Jahre M3

Quote:
Well dealers used to buy then do a pass through deal and sell to you for less than residual. Then BMW banned that and nothing was happening. Now they're doing the rebates.

My F31 yes the buyout was residual less the $4k free money. My F23 for example is due in June and the rebate is only $900 now. Will see what happens once I'm closer to end, seems it varies quite a bit car to car and month to month.
Here is my question and BMW Canada might be different but with the market value likely to drop fairly quick on 17's and 18's when there 3-4 lease ends as new model year and the heavily discounted 18's on lots still into 2019 when a lease ends if RV and real world value differ by a lot what is to prevent you 'handing' the car back to dealer. they turn around and cpo it or whatever and list it on their lot for what market value they can get which is lower than RV and then you go buy it with the CPO financing. my point is if there is a high RV but market is much less nobody will buy out the car and they will take a loss on the resale so where is the middle ground?
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2019, 09:28 PM   #16
narcolept
Rep
Drives: 2018 330i xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by quikM2 View Post
Here is my question and BMW Canada might be different but with the market value likely to drop fairly quick on 17's and 18's when there 3-4 lease ends as new model year and the heavily discounted 18's on lots still into 2019 when a lease ends if RV and real world value differ by a lot what is to prevent you 'handing' the car back to dealer. they turn around and cpo it or whatever and list it on their lot for what market value they can get which is lower than RV and then you go buy it with the CPO financing. my point is if there is a high RV but market is much less nobody will buy out the car and they will take a loss on the resale so where is the middle ground?
There's a financial penalty to the dealer from BMWNA for doing this - I believe if the car is registered to the previous owner or same address after being sold as CPO, they get hit with a 'fine'
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2019, 09:29 AM   #17
quikM2
Captain
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by narcolept View Post
There's a financial penalty to the dealer from BMWNA for doing this - I believe if the car is registered to the previous owner or same address after being sold as CPO, they get hit with a 'fine'
Must be a work around on that though if you get your wife etc. to buy it and register to a business address or if you moved it would be a new address. Either way seems petty by BMW as what reasonable person would expect someone to buy out the car at a RV that far exceeds current market... It would be fair as in the example above that they would offer you an incentive to buy the car out to discount it to reflect market.
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2019, 09:46 AM   #18
chiefneil
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 335i M-Sport

Agree with others that it’s not worth a trip to the dealer at this point. When you’re a month or two out, then maybe it’ll be worthwhile but only if there’s stuff you’re on the fence about fixing. When we turned in my daughter’s Mini the dealer let a couple minor scratches and a little curb rash go since we were leasing a 230i as a replacement, so you have some leeway if you plan to get another BMW.
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2019, 12:16 PM   #19
BEM-S4
Major General
United_States
Rep

If you do end up turning the car in BE SURE to have your dealer do an inspection and get a written copy of the report. If you don't do that, it will get inspected at auction and you'll get slammed for every little thing.
Appreciate 1
      03-21-2019, 10:41 AM   #20
luckstr
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: White BMW440i Hardtop Converti

Quote:
Originally Posted by quikM2 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by narcolept View Post
Must be a work around on that though if you get your wife etc. to buy it and register to a business address or if you moved it would be a new address. Either way seems petty by BMW as what reasonable person would expect someone to buy out the car at a RV that far exceeds current market... It would be fair as in the example above that they would offer you an incentive to buy the car out to discount it to reflect market.
I agree with you 100% about this, but on the other hand we (leasees) sign a contract with the RV known when we get car, so rather than bitch about it, while it would be fair and customer orientated for BMW to reduce RV to close to market value at time of turn-in (I certainly would love this) I knew what I would pay for this car when I turned it in; I signed the paperwork voluntarily. As I said I would love BMW to let me buy out at market value, and would think BMW is really great to work with, but I am not going to be mad because they may hold me to what I and they agreed to 2 1/2 years ago.
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2019, 11:09 AM   #21
quikM2
Captain
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by luckstr View Post
I agree with you 100% about this, but on the other hand we (leasees) sign a contract with the RV known when we get car, so rather than bitch about it, while it would be fair and customer orientated for BMW to reduce RV to close to market value at time of turn-in (I certainly would love this) I knew what I would pay for this car when I turned it in; I signed the paperwork voluntarily. As I said I would love BMW to let me buy out at market value, and would think BMW is really great to work with, but I am not going to be mad because they may hold me to what I and they agreed to 2 1/2 years ago.
I think most if not all on here are well aware of how a lease works in terms of RV and what signing a contract means but thank you... I also don't think anyone was 'bitching' about it at all. We were discussing the business aspect and what would be more on an incentive in these situations - hence the point of a forum for discussion. There is also the flip side where the RV is lower than market. I had that happen when I went to return my 12 S4 and my intention was to buy it out and sell it. Audi offered me $5k to give it back to them at the end of my lease instead.
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2019, 12:48 PM   #22
agentorange
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 328d

I'll never forget my one and only lease experience. It was with Toyota on a minivan for my first wife. The BS they tried on the residual value was laughable. The van had been superseded by a new model, but they were still after over 60% of the purchase cost after four years. I flat out laughed at the person on the phone.

As the lease drew to a close the weirdness really kicked up. First, Toyota told me NOT to return the vehicle to the dealership it came from. Turns out some of the dealerships in that chain had been "losing" lease return vehicles. I thought the term was stealing, but I'm not in the motor trade and they often describe things oddly.

Just before the last payment, the RV plummeted by 33%. I was fit to be tied because I'd already had to go out and buy my wife a replacement vehicle at MSRP. Sis-in-law ended up taking it at the new price, but the short version is that Toyota cost me $14k. I would burst my bladder rather than take a whizz on a Toyota lease person on fire.

TL;DR version: If I was the OP I'd ignore the letters from the dealer and wait for the RV to drop. If it doesn't try reminding BMW that his vehicle is now a superseded model.
Appreciate 0