F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Suspension | Chassis | Brakes > F30 M Performance Brake Pad Replacement Procedure?
proTUNING Freaks

04-01-2016, 12:23 PM   #1
dcarp757
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2014 F30

Garage List
2014 BMW 335i  [0.00]
F30 M Performance Brake Pad Replacement Procedure?

I apologize in advance if this is already covered in another thread.

Does anyone have a "how to" guide, with pictures, on how to replace the pads on an F30 with M Performance Brakes?

I've heard it's ridiculously easy. Just looking for a how-to guide and any other helpful input.

Last edited by dcarp757; 04-01-2016 at 12:24 PM.. Reason: spelling error
Appreciate 0
      04-01-2016, 07:36 PM   #2
E30toF30
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2016 528i Executive Edition

Garage List
I've been looking to do the same for my M Sport brakes. I paid someone to install my track pads a couple weeks ago, but with plans to put the pads on only for track days and then removing them after, paying someone to do it everytime was just crazy. And after watching him do my brakes, it did not look hard at all. It helped he was super cool and walked me through the process as well so that was helpful.

Took me a while to find info but came across this video below from another thread on this forum. This video is of a brembo system that is pretty much the same process as our BMW branded Brembo's. I found this to be very helpful:

With our brakes, we don't even need to pull the calipers off the rotors as you see in the video. Its as simple as pushing the pins out, taking off the retaining clip, adding a little pressure to the pad/piston to give yourself just enough space to pull the pad out and slip the new one in.

One piece of advice I got from the tech that did mine was to do one pad at a time. You don't want to push the pistons too far as they could fall out of the caliper and then you're in a pickle. Not sure how easily this could happen, but as I'm new to this myself, i'll be a bit more cautious than i might need to be.

Also don't forget to open up the brake fluid reservoir cap to release any pressure buildup from pressing on the calipers back. You don't want to introduce any air bubbles into the brake fluid/lines.

Looks like the below video auto started as that first video ended and it looks like a pretty accurate walkthrough too. Better vid qualify on this one.

Last edited by E30toF30; 04-02-2016 at 04:56 AM..
Appreciate 0
      04-02-2016, 07:40 PM   #3
dcarp757
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Garage List
2014 BMW 335i  [0.00]
Thank you!
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2016, 09:50 AM   #4
E30toF30
Captain
Canada
Rep

Garage List
I finally got some time reinstall my stock pads yesterday. First attempt took me about 45 minutes all in! Pretty good for my first time! I think I can cut it down to under 30 minutes if I had an electric/cordless impact wrench to help with removing and installing wheel nuts (hand finished with a torque wrench of course)

On the side note, man the stock pads feel so jelly like and crapy compared to the porterfield race pads ice been driving on for the past week. Initial bite is nothing close to the race pads!!
I just couldn't live with the obnoxiously loud squeaks and had to take them out (even knowing I'll be back at the track in 3 weeks and will need to reinstall) .

Gl on your diy!

Last edited by E30toF30; 04-05-2016 at 04:31 AM..
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2016, 10:48 AM   #5
dcarp757
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Garage List
2014 BMW 335i  [0.00]
I noticed the pins are pointed. Does the point get damaged when hammering out? Did you use a punch?

I'm going to attempt this very soon. I went with the Centric Semi-Metallic pads as a low dust option. I don't track my car at all. Yeah, the squeal of the OEM is so embarrassing coming from "the ultimate driving machine".
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2016, 04:35 AM   #6
E30toF30
Captain
Canada
Rep

Garage List
My stock M Sport brakes are silent....thankfully...but I guess the M performance brakes, although having the same calipers/pads(?), the different rotor might be causing the squeels?

I simply used a small robertson (square head...its a Canadian bit) for the initial punch. And then used one of those mini screwdrivers to give it one more tap and the pin comes out very easily.

For me, my track pads were practically new. They slid out fairly easily, making the install of the OEM pads which have about 11,000km on them, slide in like butter. I didnt have to do ANY prying whatsover of the pistons. Made the job so much easier. However, when I do the instal to go back to the track pads, it will be a bit more difficult and time consuming as I will need to pry the pistons a bit to fit in the newer/thicker track pads.

BTW, why is just us on this thread? Nobody else cares? lol
Appreciate 0