F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > N47 and N57 Turbodiesel Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications > 100k mile marker maint.
Extreme Powerhouse

12-28-2018, 08:53 AM   #45
jdr78569
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F31 328d sport wag

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdog_x View Post
Interesting, so you put the 2x10 spread across two 4x4's under each tire and it holds 1/4 of the weight of the car with no issues?

I usually lift the front right point with jack 1, and then slip jack 2 under the front center jacking point (my car is low) and raise it. Then slip jack stands under both front points. Set it down on stands (leave the front jack as well). Then go to the rear and lift from the differential with a block of wood, then install both rear stands. The front is a breeze, I really hate lifting the rear that way though. I always leave front / rear jacks in place

Ha! My coolant change came when I was messing with the cooler for the DEF line as well. Managed to slice it and it drained the whole tank onto the floor. I wasn't going to roll around in it to try and stop the leak!
Yeah mine was at night and had to get to work in the morning so i sucked it up after a few mins lol.

But yeah i jacked up one point at the side lift and raised it high enough to get both front and rear under. Just one way of doing it. Your way works too
Appreciate 0
      12-28-2018, 09:18 AM   #46
n00bkiller944
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '14 328d M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdr78569 View Post
Funny story...(not funny)

I changed my coolant on a mere mess up. While changing my NOX sensor on the exhaust i managed to snap a plastic nipple piece that i couldn't figure where it went too. Turns out it was to my DEF fluid. was leaking all over, so i ordered it at BMW and crawled under to swap it. WELL... turns out that same piece had a coolant line attached to it. So when i disconnected it spewed all the HOT coolant all over my back.

Swapped out the piece and had to fill the coolant lol.

It was on my todo list and i was going to do it by pulling the bottom hose (believe its the only way. I can send pics of my book if you'd like)
If you could send photos of that book that would be great!
Appreciate 0
      12-28-2018, 10:51 AM   #47
jdr78569
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F31 328d sport wag

Quote:
Originally Posted by n00bkiller944 View Post
Quote:

I changed my coolant on a mere mess up. While changing my NOX sensor on the exhaust i managed to snap a plastic nipple piece that i couldn't figure where it went too. Turns out it was to my DEF fluid. was leaking all over, so i ordered it at BMW and crawled under to swap it. WELL... turns out that same piece had a coolant line attached to it. So when i disconnected it spewed all the HOT coolant all over my back.

It was on my todo list and i was going to do it by pulling the bottom hose (believe its the only way. I can send pics of my book if you'd like)
@sspade

Lifted it real quick before I pick up buddy from airport. As you can see m jack lifts both front and rear. Front i did have to push a bit but it went in fine. Repeat on other side. Then you can lift fire from the middle for next block . I'd use something in-between the jack so it doesn't dig so much into the 2x10.
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
sspade2464.50
      12-28-2018, 12:19 PM   #48
sspade
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: F30

Garage List
2016 BMW 320i  [7.87]
2014 BMW 328i  [6.83]
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by n00bkiller944 View Post
Quote:

@sspade

Lifted it real quick before I pick up buddy from airport. As you can see m jack lifts both front and rear. Front i did have to push a bit but it went in fine. Repeat on other side. Then you can lift fire from the middle for next block . I'd use something in-between the jack so it doesn't dig so much into the 2x10.
Thanks for sharing! Im definitely making a set before I perform my tranny / rear end service.
Appreciate 0
      06-15-2019, 04:33 PM   #49
dreaming.haze
Private
Rep
Drives: 328d xDrive wagon

Recently performed the transmission filter / fluid service at ~61k. Job was easy enough, but the fill itself was a bit confusing on the various sources I found. The key notes I found to work best were from ZF themselves.

From jdr78569 - I did the same idea of creating these stands to get the car up in the air a bit higher to move around for the transmission service. Instead of a 2x2 and 2x4 I used a 4x6 with good result. Had Home Depot make all the cuts and all I needed to do was get some screws in there and added some wood glue since it was sitting around

Didn't measure out the full drain / fill amounts, but did go back and perform a check for the fluid level a week later and was around ~.3L low. Likely this was due to my driveway being slopped on initial fill, so second fill check I set the car up more leveled out with some small ramps in the back + the jack lifting up the rear diff subtly.

As others have done, I also performed the front/rear diff servicing at the same time while the car came down in temperature. Overall an easy enough DIY with the right tools. Getting those panels down with an 8mm, 10mm, T27 security torx is a bit odd. Should just have 8mm on all points. As another noted, the small side exhaust bracket has 3 13mm, 2 bolts and one nut. If you have a ratcheting wrench it will make things a breeze.

A couple of images for the job / stand:
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      06-15-2019, 11:37 PM   #50
rbreding
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 328d, 335d, x5d

Fyi tranny fluid fill is based on temp. Need to be able to read the temp to fill it to the proper level
Appreciate 0