F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Navigation, iDrive, Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Phone, Cameras, Electronics > Head unit failing??
Extreme Powerhouse

08-03-2019, 10:51 AM   #1
Kenneth04
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 320i F30

2016 328i. I have an issue. Recently nothing works besides the aux, rear view camera, and radio. I called bmw because I personally suspect the head unit is toast... *sigh*. I tried resetting the idrive system by holding the volume knob for about 35 seconds and it reset itself. I also hear a clicking noise from where the CD player is located. dealer quoted 1,100 for a new one. My question is, could I possibly find one out of a wrecked one and put it in?

The part number for the unit is 65129391823
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2019, 11:23 AM   #2
sspade
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: F30

Garage List
2016 BMW 320i  [7.87]
2014 BMW 328i  [6.83]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenneth04 View Post
2016 328i. I have an issue. Recently nothing works besides the aux, rear view camera, and radio. I called bmw because I personally suspect the head unit is toast... *sigh*. I tried resetting the idrive system by holding the volume knob for about 35 seconds and it reset itself. I also hear a clicking noise from where the CD player is located. dealer quoted 1,100 for a new one. My question is, could I possibly find one out of a wrecked one and put it in?

Have you tried updating firmware?

Mine was restarting a bunch while driving. I feared the same as you. Then I updated firmware and it hasn't happened a single time since.

Worth a try.
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2019, 06:07 PM   #3
Kenneth04
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by sspade View Post
Quote:

Have you tried updating firmware?

Mine was restarting a bunch while driving. I feared the same as you. Then I updated firmware and it hasn't happened a single time since.

Worth a try.
I tried. Unfortunately for some reason it's greyed out which further leads me to think it's definitely something wrong
Appreciate 0
      08-24-2019, 11:12 PM   #4
Estoril_AJ
Rep
Drives: 2014 335i xDrive M-Sport

The same exact thing happened to me a week ago. First it started with no bluetooth audio (but telephone worked), no nav, no owners manual, and no usb audio. Only FM, AM, and Aux. Then the screen went and so did all sound, including door chimes.
I checked with e-sys and both NBT and kombi no longer show up, and u can no longer talk to them. Even with a donor head unit with the exact same part numbers, it doesn't show. Every fuse was checked, which are all fine....
Did you resolve the issue?
Appreciate 0
      08-24-2019, 11:27 PM   #5
Kenneth04
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Estoril_AJ View Post
The same exact thing happened to me a week ago. First it started with no bluetooth audio (but telephone worked), no nav, no owners manual, and no usb audio. Only FM, AM, and Aux. Then the screen went and so did all sound, including door chimes.
I checked with e-sys and both NBT and kombi no longer show up, and u can no longer talk to them. Even with a donor head unit with all the exact same numbers, it doesn't show. Every fuse was checked, which are fine....
Did you resolve the issue?
I bought a used unit, ok
Nope. Never figured it out. I left on military leave. Actually just got back tonight and was hoping to find an answer soon. Gf picked me up and still nothing. No nav, bluetooth, etc... did the replacement work as far as features?
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2019, 12:07 PM   #6
Estoril_AJ
Rep
Drives: 2014 335i xDrive M-Sport

Damn, welcome back though!
No, I replaced with an exact copy of my NBT unit and it did not change anything. Shawnsheridan helped but because NBT and Kombi no longer exist in the ECU I cant do much with E-Sys. Trying the ISTA route, to see if I can find out where the break on the MOST system is. I checked all fuses, but I may buy a multimeter to ensure they have a current flowing. I hope it is not a wiring issue to the back fuse box!
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2019, 07:24 PM   #7
Kenneth04
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep

Quote:
No, I replaced with an exact copy of my NBT unit and it did not change anything. Shawnsheridan helped but because NBT and Kombi no longer exist in the ECU I cant do much with E-Sys. Trying the ISTA route, to see if I can find out where the break on the MOST system is. I checked all fuses, but I may buy a multimeter to ensure they have a current flowing. I hope it is not a wiring issue to the back fuse box!
Maybe I should see if someone can check and see if NBT and combi still remain in our ECU. Our sounds and screen still work. That's the only difference.. I may take it to bmw and let them scan it and do from there because I'm not savy on the coding software
Appreciate 0
      07-29-2021, 04:12 PM   #8
westman
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW 428i x drive

Quote:
Quote:
Maybe I should see if someone can check and see if NBT and combi still remain in our ECU. Our sounds and screen still work. That's the only difference.. I may take it to bmw and let them scan it and do from there because I'm not savy on the coding software
Hey guys i know it's 2 years + old but did you ever find a solution to this head unit problem? Same exact car and it just started happening
Appreciate 0