F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > Photo, Video, Media Gallery, Journals > 2012 335I Track/Street Build
Studio RSR

08-19-2017, 05:58 PM   #1
AFjbyers
Private
Rep
Drives: 2012 335i Sedan

I have been building for almost a year now and this will cover all of my build to date as well as future build for my car. The build is a "track" centered build with the ability to still drive on the street. I understand most will say a track car needs to be a dedicated track car, but everyone has different ideas when it comes to cars. I still want to be able to drive this car once a week or so to work and drive it to car shows as well. Hope you enjoy, I will be updating today and periodically.

This is where it all started. A stock 2012 335I Alpine White in Sportline. I didn't know too much about BMW, but coming from a 2012 WRX I was immediately impressed with the consistent power output and how much harder it pulled (I definitely thought my WRX was a rocket before this). The idea was to have something nice and luxurious that had power.
Name:  Old Pic.jpg
Views: 2623
Size:  310.3 KB

Within a few weeks of buying the car I started to wander to the "dark side" of the internet (car parts) as I couldn't help but look (I told the wife this would stay stock). I started finding out more information and digging into what BMW had to offer. Immediately I knew I couldn't stick with this stock bumper anymore. I found a local shop to buy and paint a new M Sport bumper and side skirts from. The wife signed off and the car went in for some light surgery and came out with the M sport Bumper, side skirts, front lip, and a gloss back wrapped roof. I haven't gotten the rear bumper yet as I think it doesn't look nearly as bad as the stock front bumper (no offense to anyone if that is their style), but I will eventually be getting the rear.

I found myself still getting the bug, but I told myself I wouldn't get into any power mods in this car. Next up I knew I wanted some tint and the black kidney grilles so I went ahead and got both and I couldn't believe the exterior transformation of this car already. I was pretty happy with the car...for a few weeks.

Name:  Window Tint.jpg
Views: 2117
Size:  200.0 KB

I am in the Air National Guard and work for them full time. I was tasked with a deployment around August last year. I had 4 months to look and research car parts with a coworker there who races a supercharged Mustang GT...I was setup from the get go.

I have always been in to cars from my earliest memories. My favorite games growing up were racing games and it has always been something on my mind, but I never knew how to get into it. This was definitely my in. I gained as much knowledge from him and the internet over the months I was there soaking it all in become..almost obsessed with it all. I got the wife to sign off on it after booking a trip to Hawaii for her and I was set to start.

The man in me couldn't help but ordering power mods first even though I know I should have done suspension first. So I ordered a VRSF CP, FMIC, and DP. I got a JB4 with the Bluetooth kit, and I picked up an Injen intake from a local F30 owner. Also, when I was gone my wife went ahead and got MPSS installed on my car for me to have a decent street/track combo tire. Everything was waiting and ready when I got home. I also did a ton of research on how to do my own installs.

Name:  Parts.jpg
Views: 2057
Size:  3.65 MB

I got started on my installs as soon as I could. The CP went it relatively easy as did the FMIC (although at one point I was under the car with the FMIC resting on me because I was home alone and couldn't lift it anymore lmao). I was able to get both of those done in one day, but still had the car on jacks to get everything else installed.

Name:  Charge Pipe.jpg
Views: 2079
Size:  3.35 MB

Name:  Charge Pipe 2.jpg
Views: 2036
Size:  2.43 MB

Name:  FMIC.jpg
Views: 2020
Size:  4.09 MB

Name:  FMIC 2.jpg
Views: 1988
Size:  3.29 MB

Unfortunately, I really didn't take any pics of the DP install, but it was BY FAR THE WORST. My car used to be on the east coast and I checked everything out and no rust....except ONE bolt on the DP. It took me forever trying to get it off, and anyone who has done a DP install knows the angle and space you have to work with. I ended up buying a Dremel and cutting it in half. After getting that done it was onto the JB4 and Bluetooth Install which went smooth as it is not a very hard install.

Name:  JB4.jpg
Views: 1843
Size:  1.19 MB

Next I got the Injen intake put it in which was a really easy install and got the car down off the jacks, turned it on and bam we had power! I took it for a test drive and immediately had a boost leak (of course). Came back in, did some diagnosing and found out the clamp in the middle of the CP was not fitted properly. Fixed that up and took her back out and WOW I couldn't believe the power output on this thing. I had it on map one as we only have 91 octane out here (and E85 but that is to come). I expected some more power but I didn't expect it to be this much. I was definitely happy. I ran some logs sent them over and everything was running great.

Name:  Front end 1.jpg
Views: 1845
Size:  109.7 KB

Name:  Front end 2.jpg
Views: 1846
Size:  391.0 KB

With car running well on 91 I added some E85 to make it run E40. The power was incredible. I couldn't believe how much of a difference some E85 on map 5 would make! I ran some logs, sent them in and everything again looked normal (thank god I couldn't explain to the wife that I already broke my car). After a few months of driving the car like this I was definitely ready to go to the track. I decided an oil change, spark plugs, and new brake fluid would be needed. I changed out the plugs with OEM spark plugs, Castrol 0w-40 oil, and Motul RBF600 brake fluid. The car ran well after and I was ready for my track day!

Name:  Spark Plugs.jpeg
Views: 1784
Size:  319.2 KB

I attended a track event in July at Auto Club Speedway in Fontana, CA. It was the infield track not the Roval. I was definitely nervous, but beyond excited. The first lap came and I was IMMEDIATELY hooked. I started pushing it more and more each lap during the first session. I started to break traction a bit and definitely realized I need some better track tires. I learned to take corners better throughout the session and felt great. I pulled into the garage giddy as could be.

The car was a bit hot, but nothing I was worried about as there were no codes. I talked the course over with the group I was with and learned from a few of my mistakes and I was ready for the next session. I progressively got faster and faster throughout the day and became more comfortable in the car. I was starting to pass other cars and really push it. I never felt like the car couldn't handle it.

The biggest problem of the day was a drivetrain malfunction during the 2nd and 3rd session towards the end of each session. It didn't throw a code on my JB4 which was weird. It just limited my power for about a third of a lap each session. It was 101 degrees that day so I think it may be due to that or from what I have read it could be my gas since I was only running 91 and not a mix.

Name:  Racing.jpg
Views: 1743
Size:  1.45 MB

Name:  Auto Club.jpg
Views: 1740
Size:  713.3 KB

Name:  Auto Club 2.jpg
Views: 1895
Size:  2.53 MB

After the day I was obsessed, all I could think about was the next event. I analyzed the day and my car and realized two immediate problems. My suspension and my tires. I felt a lot of body roll, and slippage was still happening with my MPSS. Since then I have bought a set of Koni's and Swift springs that haven't been installed yet. I am about to order the M3 lower control arms and Dinan camber plates to go in as well before my next event which is a large autox in less than a month.

So...what's next? I have the autox event in less than a month, a track event at the Roval in October, and Laguna Seca in December so far. I am looking for an event in November to attend as well. The bug has bitten me big time and I have finally found a true passion and hobby.

For mods, after I install the Swift springs, Koni sports, M3 LCAs, and Dinan Camber plates it is onto tires and wheels. I have decided to go with these for wheels. The Konig Hypergram in 18x8.5 et35. They weigh under 18lbs which is a drop of almost 9lbs per wheel compared to my 397s!

Name:  Hypergrams.png
Views: 1775
Size:  946.4 KB

I will wrap them in Federal RS-RR's in 245/40/18 square. After wheels and tires I need to see the next weak point in my next event. I will be looking at cooling most likely. An added oil cooler will be my next step I am guessing. I have contacted Mishimoto and they are still in the development phase of making an upgraded radiator for the car. After this...who knows? I will play it by ear and go event by event and slowly eliminate weak areas as I find them. I know after these brake pads are gone I will upgrade, but to be honest they handled well at my last track event.

I have also looked at seats, harnesses, steering wheels, and other items but that is when this build starts to become much more serious. Eventually, the idea is to gut the car and drop a ton of weight but that isn't in the near future. I have also looked into doing a custom electric cutout exhaust to run straight non muffler when i want and be quiet when needed.

I am sure I missed some areas and will read this over later to add missed items, but hopefully you enjoyed this novel. I look forward to any input, advice, and criticism from you guys!

Josh

Last edited by AFjbyers; 08-19-2017 at 08:25 PM..
Appreciate 2
CJ4211559.00
      08-19-2017, 07:33 PM   #2
Zara
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 335i

Been refreshing the page every fifteen minutes as you've been updating it haha, so far I'm liking your build! Excited to see more.
Appreciate 0
      08-19-2017, 08:35 PM   #3
AFjbyers
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zara
Been refreshing the page every fifteen minutes as you've been updating it haha, so far I'm liking your build! Excited to see more.
Thanks man, hopefully you enjoy!
Appreciate 0
      08-19-2017, 08:42 PM   #4
vladberca
Major General
Romania
Rep
Drives: '18 octavia 2.0 tdi dsg

You have took the correct way with the upgrades.
Keep us updated with pics and track results 👍
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2017, 08:34 AM   #5
AFjbyers
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by vladberca
You have took the correct way with the upgrades.
Keep us updated with pics and track results 👍
Thanks for compliment. I will update soon. Ordering more parts this week! Very few F series tracking around here so it's fun to be unique on the track.
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2017, 08:44 AM   #6
CJ421
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: BMW M3

Garage List
Nice story Josh, and your car is coming along!

It does get to be an obsession ...I put a ton of money into my E92 335i N55, and the final product was a decent track car. It was streetable, but that's all the credit I can give it. My car became kinda impractical on the street. I felt it was a waste to drive unless it was on the track. It wasn't, of course, but that's how I felt. And that's why this time around I have a stock car with a couple of the BMW M Performance parts and an upgraded exhaust. Lol.

Charles
Fr3sh29.50
      08-20-2017, 08:50 AM   #7
AFjbyers
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJ421
Nice story Josh, and your car is coming along!

It does get to be an obsession ...I put a ton of money into my E92 335i N55, and the final product was a decent track car. It was streetable, but that's all the credit I can give it. My car became kinda impractical on the street. I felt it was a waste to drive unless it was on the track. It wasn't, of course, but that's how I felt. And that's why this time around I have a stock car with a couple of the BMW M Performance parts and an upgraded exhaust. Lol.

Charles
Thanks for the reply! I understand at some point it will get this way, but I'm trying to go in an order that ummm delays this? Haha. Luckily I have another car and my wife has her SUV. Once I get the car running well i think it will be time to look for a truck and trailer to start towing it to events. I know it's hard to have it all (street, track, and show) out of one car but I'm trying to balance as long as i can with the emphasis on track parts.
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2017, 09:23 AM   #8
lens
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2018 340i xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by AFjbyers View Post
I have been building for almost a year now and this will cover all of my build to date as well as future build for my car. The build is a "track" centered build with the ability to still drive on the street. I understand most will say a track car needs to be a dedicated track car, but everyone has different ideas when it comes to cars. I still want to be able to drive this car once a week or so to work and drive it to car shows as well. Hope you enjoy, I will be updating today and periodically.

This is where it all started. A stock 2012 335I Alpine White in Sportline. I didn't know too much about BMW, but coming from a 2012 WRX I was immediately impressed with the consistent power output and how much harder it pulled (I definitely thought my WRX was a rocket before this). The idea was to have something nice and luxurious that had power.
Attachment 1677531

Within a few weeks of buying the car I started to wander to the "dark side" of the internet (car parts) as I couldn't help but look (I told the wife this would stay stock). I started finding out more information and digging into what BMW had to offer. Immediately I knew I couldn't stick with this stock bumper anymore. I found a local shop to buy and paint a new M Sport bumper and side skirts from. The wife signed off and the car went in for some light surgery and came out with the M sport Bumper, side skirts, front lip, and a gloss back wrapped roof. I haven't gotten the rear bumper yet as I think it doesn't look nearly as bad as the stock front bumper (no offense to anyone if that is their style), but I will eventually be getting the rear.

I found myself still getting the bug, but I told myself I wouldn't get into any power mods in this car. Next up I knew I wanted some tint and the black kidney grilles so I went ahead and got both and I couldn't believe the exterior transformation of this car already. I was pretty happy with the car...for a few weeks.

Attachment 1677534

I am in the Air National Guard and work for them full time. I was tasked with a deployment around August last year. I had 4 months to look and research car parts with a coworker there who races a supercharged Mustang GT...I was setup from the get go.

I have always been in to cars from my earliest memories. My favorite games growing up were racing games and it has always been something on my mind, but I never knew how to get into it. This was definitely my in. I gained as much knowledge from him and the internet over the months I was there soaking it all in become..almost obsessed with it all. I got the wife to sign off on it after booking a trip to Hawaii for her and I was set to start.

The man in me couldn't help but ordering power mods first even though I know I should have done suspension first. So I ordered a VRSF CP, FMIC, and DP. I got a JB4 with the Bluetooth kit, and I picked up an Injen intake from a local F30 owner. Also, when I was gone my wife went ahead and got MPSS installed on my car for me to have a decent street/track combo tire. Everything was waiting and ready when I got home. I also did a ton of research on how to do my own installs.

Attachment 1677545

I got started on my installs as soon as I could. The CP went it relatively easy as did the FMIC (although at one point I was under the car with the FMIC resting on me because I was home alone and couldn't lift it anymore lmao). I was able to get both of those done in one day, but still had the car on jacks to get everything else installed.

Attachment 1677546

Attachment 1677547

Attachment 1677548

Attachment 1677549

Unfortunately, I really didn't take any pics of the DP install, but it was BY FAR THE WORST. My car used to be on the east coast and I checked everything out and no rust....except ONE bolt on the DP. It took me forever trying to get it off, and anyone who has done a DP install knows the angle and space you have to work with. I ended up buying a Dremel and cutting it in half. After getting that done it was onto the JB4 and Bluetooth Install which went smooth as it is not a very hard install.

Attachment 1677560

Next I got the Injen intake put it in which was a really easy install and got the car down off the jacks, turned it on and bam we had power! I took it for a test drive and immediately had a boost leak (of course). Came back in, did some diagnosing and found out the clamp in the middle of the CP was not fitted properly. Fixed that up and took her back out and WOW I couldn't believe the power output on this thing. I had it on map one as we only have 91 octane out here (and E85 but that is to come). I expected some more power but I didn't expect it to be this much. I was definitely happy. I ran some logs sent them over and everything was running great.

Attachment 1677562

Attachment 1677563

With car running well on 91 I added some E85 to make it run E40. The power was incredible. I couldn't believe how much of a difference some E85 on map 5 would make! I ran some logs, sent them in and everything again looked normal (thank god I couldn't explain to the wife that I already broke my car). After a few months of driving the car like this I was definitely ready to go to the track. I decided an oil change, spark plugs, and new brake fluid would be needed. I changed out the plugs with OEM spark plugs, Castrol 0w-40 oil, and Motul RBF600 brake fluid. The car ran well after and I was ready for my track day!

Attachment 1677564

I attended a track event in July at Auto Club Speedway in Fontana, CA. It was the infield track not the Roval. I was definitely nervous, but beyond excited. The first lap came and I was IMMEDIATELY hooked. I started pushing it more and more each lap during the first session. I started to break traction a bit and definitely realized I need some better track tires. I learned to take corners better throughout the session and felt great. I pulled into the garage giddy as could be.

The car was a bit hot, but nothing I was worried about as there were no codes. I talked the course over with the group I was with and learned from a few of my mistakes and I was ready for the next session. I progressively got faster and faster throughout the day and became more comfortable in the car. I was starting to pass other cars and really push it. I never felt like the car couldn't handle it.

The biggest problem of the day was a drivetrain malfunction during the 2nd and 3rd session towards the end of each session. It didn't throw a code on my JB4 which was weird. It just limited my power for about a third of a lap each session. It was 101 degrees that day so I think it may be due to that or from what I have read it could be my gas since I was only running 91 and not a mix.

Attachment 1677569

Attachment 1677568

Attachment 1677567

After the day I was obsessed, all I could think about was the next event. I analyzed the day and my car and realized two immediate problems. My suspension and my tires. I felt a lot of body roll, and slippage was still happening with my MPSS. Since then I have bought a set of Koni's and Swift springs that haven't been installed yet. I am about to order the M3 lower control arms and Dinan camber plates to go in as well before my next event which is a large autox in less than a month.

So...what's next? I have the autox event in less than a month, a track event at the Roval in October, and Laguna Seca in December so far. I am looking for an event in November to attend as well. The bug has bitten me big time and I have finally found a true passion and hobby.

For mods, after I install the Swift springs, Koni sports, M3 LCAs, and Dinan Camber plates it is onto tires and wheels. I have decided to go with these for wheels. The Konig Hypergram in 18x8.5 et35. They weigh under 18lbs which is a drop of almost 9lbs per wheel compared to my 397s!

Attachment 1677570

I will wrap them in Federal RS-RR's in 245/40/18 square. After wheels and tires I need to see the next weak point in my next event. I will be looking at cooling most likely. An added oil cooler will be my next step I am guessing. I have contacted Mishimoto and they are still in the development phase of making an upgraded radiator for the car. After this...who knows? I will play it by ear and go event by event and slowly eliminate weak areas as I find them. I know after these brake pads are gone I will upgrade, but to be honest they handled well at my last track event.

I have also looked at seats, harnesses, steering wheels, and other items but that is when this build starts to become much more serious. Eventually, the idea is to gut the car and drop a ton of weight but that isn't in the near future. I have also looked into doing a custom electric cutout exhaust to run straight non muffler when i want and be quiet when needed.

I am sure I missed some areas and will read this over later to add missed items, but hopefully you enjoyed this novel. I look forward to any input, advice, and criticism from you guys!

Josh
As someone who tracks, i would recommend you dump your JB4 and get a flash tune like BM3. They can tune for 91 oct. JB4 will pull timing on 91 oct. You require a minimum of 93 for it to work correctly.

BM3 will deliver more consistent power and much better response.

Also make sure you buy a aux oil cooler that comes with the msport package and update the transmission to the sport one.

You'll then need better brake pads, coilovers and sway bars.

But most of all, i would highly recommend you get a pure stage 1 or 2.

The PWG turbo is very bad and does not pull after 5.5k rpm.

It will cost alot if you want a better street track car.
      08-20-2017, 09:41 AM   #9
AFjbyers
Private
Rep

Thanks for the reply. I'm definitely not naive to the cost I'm in for lol. i understand there are much easier cheaper options but hey, nothing about modifying cars is sane lol.

BM3 is def something I've been looking at as i live down the street from SSR. i am running e85 mix next track day so hopefully my jb4 will like that better.

The auxiliary oil cooler is an option i didn't think about. i looked at mishimoto, and ER but I'll def look into the m sport one thanks!

PS2 is in the cards, but i want to become comfortable with the current power first. thank you again for the info. i need people to be blunt and honest.
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2017, 10:56 AM   #10
lens
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2018 340i xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by AFjbyers View Post
Thanks for the reply. I'm definitely not naive to the cost I'm in for lol. i understand there are much easier cheaper options but hey, nothing about modifying cars is sane lol.

BM3 is def something I've been looking at as i live down the street from SSR. i am running e85 mix next track day so hopefully my jb4 will like that better.

The auxiliary oil cooler is an option i didn't think about. i looked at mishimoto, and ER but I'll def look into the m sport one thanks!

PS2 is in the cards, but i want to become comfortable with the current power first. thank you again for the info. i need people to be blunt and honest.
If you track, grab the ER one. It's bigger than the msport.

Believe me, don't run JB4 on the track. I've done it and the power isn't consistent and it pulls timing too easily. Not to mention there's no timing correction and it could be fairly dangerous in the long run without an actual tune or BEF, especially if you're in WOT and high rpm for the 15 minutes of the track.

I upgraded my turbo because running a nearly maxed out pwg turbo isn't good for the turbo in the long run.

Running the same boost on ps2 will yield more power, more top end and won't even get near the max potential of the turbo yet so no problem driving hard.
      08-20-2017, 10:00 PM   #11
AFjbyers
Private
Rep

I'm away for the week for work and all i can do is look up parts. camber plates and LCAs getting ordered this week!
Appreciate 0
      08-21-2017, 06:24 PM   #12
mike@x-ph.com
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
United_States
Rep

Drives: 07-335/12-328/18-M4/21-M4CP

Awesome write up

Phone number 702-494-9435
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2017, 07:42 AM   #13
AFjbyers
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike@x-ph.com
Awesome write up
Thanks Mike, all the go fast parts are compliments of you.
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2017, 07:48 AM   #14
Eternal
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 435i xDrive

Nice write up. look forward to seeing the progression. Post up some videos of your runs!
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2017, 07:59 AM   #15
AFjbyers
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eternal
Nice write up. look forward to seeing the progression. Post up some videos of your runs!
Thanks! I brought my go pro last time, but i accidentally left it on after i left the house so it was dead by the time the first session hit lol. next time!
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2017, 07:59 AM   #16
Eternal
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 435i xDrive

Ouch, that would be my luck!
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2017, 08:58 AM   #17
Domotron
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW 328xi M-Sport

keep up the good work brotha !
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2017, 10:42 AM   #18
AFjbyers
Private
Rep

Camber Plates and lower control arms have been ordered. I ordered the bump stops as well just to make sure. Wheels and tires are next, but I'm getting a bit stuck on where to go from there. Oil cooler most likely, then I guess I need more track time to really see what's needed. Sway bars? More bushings? Any input would be great!
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2017, 07:45 PM   #19
classyfast
Banned
Rep
Drives: e36m/e46m/E92 LCI 335/f30 335

I haven't seen konigs for BMW's ever, where are you getting them?
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2017, 08:27 PM   #20
AFjbyers
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by classyfast
I haven't seen konigs for BMW's ever, where are you getting them?
i honestly think i may be the first F series... I've searched a ton and haven't found anyone with them. I personally have a local guy who gets mine, but their website has them. The hypergram specifically.
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2017, 01:37 AM   #21
tomo7772
Japan
Rep
Drives: BMW 435i

Do you get rear differential on it? If you like tight corner or little bit of drifting, you better have one. I am using M performance LSD which does not bother daily use on street. No noise or vibration at all. After you get Camber Plates and lower control arms, you can fit in 9.5J wheels. Therefore, 255 or 265 square is another option.

Nice build!
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2017, 02:41 PM   #22
AFjbyers
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomo7772
Do you get rear differential on it? If you like tight corner or little bit of drifting, you better have one. I am using M performance LSD which does not bother daily use on street. No noise or vibration at all. After you get Camber Plates and lower control arms, you can fit in 9.5J wheels. Therefore, 255 or 265 square is another option.

Nice build!
No, the diff has been something I've been looking at. how much did you pay with install if you don't mind me asking?
Appreciate 0