F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > General F30 Sedan / F32 Coupe / F36 Gran Coupe Forum > xDrive and tire chains: Chains go on the rear?
Extreme Powerhouse

12-02-2016, 04:37 PM   #23
Billfitz
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '15 328iX GT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bbb34 View Post
As long as there's people out there claiming that xDrive cancels need for winter tires, threads like these might help someone and save them lots of trouble easily avoided otherwise.
As long as people see what they want to see instead of what's actually written threads like these will go on far longer than they should. I for one never said that xDrive obviates the usefulness of winter tires. I did say that in my not exactly limited winter...real winter...driving experience that xDrive with AS works better than 2WD with snows. If you want even better results by all means get snows, but the lack of them is no reason to go into driving hibernation.
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2016, 05:14 PM   #24
Bbb34
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: '11 535i 6sp. DHP/RWD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billfitz View Post
As long as people see what they want to see instead of what's actually written threads like these will go on far longer than they should. I for one never said that xDrive obviates the usefulness of winter tires. I did say that in my not exactly limited winter...real winter...driving experience that xDrive with AS works better than 2WD with snows. If you want even better results by all means get snows, but the lack of them is no reason to go into driving hibernation.
My comment wasn't aimed at you, or any one person in particular.
I agree with you though, people need to compare, and decide for themselves. I'd be shocked if anybody picks all season tires after making this comparison.
I also agree that yes, it is possible to manage with all season tires, but it's not the safest choice for sure.

I'm just trying to share my opinion, based on many years and many miles driven on snow covered roads. It's different from yours, but that's OK, that's what these forums are for.
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2016, 06:16 PM   #25
floydarogers
Curmudgeon and Pedant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 335d, 2014 328d

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billfitz View Post
With XDrive put chains on the rear tires, as the rear wheels are the primary drive mechanism. A set for the fronts as well isn't a bad idea, but chances are if you need them the snow will be too deep for chassis clearance anyway.

Studded winters is another option. Studded winters on AWD meets chain requirements. If I was living in the mountains where there are chain regs that's what I'd use.
Studs don't meet chains requirements in WA (or OR, I believe) no matter what the tire type.

If the weather and roads are so bad that the WA State Patrol put up the chains sign for all vehicles, it's time to turn around, as conditions are really bad and not worth the danger.

As an aside, semi-trucks are required to have chains on the non-driven trailer axles (not sure if one or all), so that brakes will be effective in keeping the trailer straight rather than jack-knifing. For the same reason, chains on all 4 are "better" as it equalizes traction and keeps the car straight.
Appreciate 1
spuntyb4060.50
      12-04-2016, 03:15 PM   #26
Red_Baron
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 340i

I am in Portland also. My prior car was an A4 quattro with the sport suspension and 19" wheels. I got around ok with them in the winter with a set of pricey but quite good K34 K summit chains on Michelin Pilot AS/3 tires (255/35/19).

The chains went on the front wheels without issue even with the 23mm lower sport suspension. Both that Audi and your 328xi have 40/60 front to rear torque splits to my knowledge. I only needed/used the chains when there was unplowed sitting snow on the ground both on the hills near my house and skiing at Mount Hood.

My new 340i has a dedicated set of snow tires (on now) with Pilot Alpin PA4 tires. The braking (particularly downhill in the morning) is much better with these than the A4's AS/3 all season tires.

You probably will not need to use the chains. It's safer to have them anyway. I hope this helps.
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
Bbb34730.50
      12-04-2016, 03:23 PM   #27
natesi
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F30

Thanks. I'm trying to get up to the mountain on Wednesday. My order came in at America's Tire, but they think they ordered the wrong TPMS sensors. Soooo.... may not make it this week. We'll see if everything comes in on time.

= )
Appreciate 0
      12-27-2016, 03:25 PM   #28
Zermatt
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M3

I commute over Snoqualmie Pass to Seattle. Within the realm of A/S tires, some perform a lot better in the snow than others. However, winter tires (snow flake on sidewall) will always outperform A/S in the snow or icy roads.

As long as you have 4WD/AWD, you do not have to put chains on. However you are legally required to carry one set. Few people however, rarely purchase/carry chains. When driving in an SUV, Ive always been waived-on by WSP when they have the chain inspection going on.

Ive never been in a situation on a major freeway when the conditions are so bad that I needed to put chains on my AWD car/SUV if I have winter tires on. I have found they simply close the pass when it gets really bad. However Ive had to put chains on when snow is really deep on under-maintained roads. (ie I'm plowing snow with my 335)
Appreciate 1
      12-27-2016, 03:49 PM   #29
EG-F30
Isle of Man
Rep
Drives: E

Chain ? For Xdrive ?
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
lens2069.50
      12-27-2016, 04:35 PM   #30
bateau
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 328i Sedan

Nathan,

Washington State Patrol has a page explaining the law about AWD, tires and chains. Oregon laws are likely similar. That said, I spent 12 years driving a Subaru in the Northwest. All-season tires are really questionable in anything over a couple of inches, even with AWD. If you're regularly going to the mountains, a dedicated set of winter tires (like the Pirellis you bought) is a small price to pay for safety.
Appreciate 0
      12-27-2016, 04:55 PM   #31
lens
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2018 340i xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by EG-F30 View Post
Chain ? For Xdrive ?
I was going to find out how 400M looks in black with orange calipers...

You just made my mind up lol I know what I'm going to do next winter for my setup
      12-28-2016, 03:20 AM   #32
.BMW.
Major General
Sweden
Rep
Drives: BMW F11/F31

Nice winter shot EG-F30!
Appreciate 1
EG-F3011.50
      12-28-2016, 04:20 PM   #33
EG-F30
Isle of Man
Rep
Drives: E

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaungo View Post
I was going to find out how 400M looks in black with orange calipers...

You just made my mind up lol I know what I'm going to do next winter for my setup
I've waited for 2 years for someone to paint 400m's to black properly glossy and to see what it would be like. It never happened , this season I pulled the trigger.

Glad to be help.
Appreciate 0