F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > Regional Forums > UK > UK - Off Topic > Test drive a Tesla….
ARMA SPEED

01-22-2024, 04:55 PM   #1981
XAlp
Major
Rep
Drives: Volvo XC90 T6

After 90 mins on the Luton runway today my EasyJet took on Isha on the way to Amsterdam. Pleased that I slept through most of the flight and touchdown was smooth as silk. My colleague collected me in his Tesla Model 3. He mentioned next November he’ll get rid of it as the 5 year tax benefit runs out. He said he’s been wondering about Hydrogen cars. Later in the day we get close to a garage with a load of Hydrogen cars outside - Toyota Mirai and Hyundai Somethings. We called in. No sales office just parked up with QR codes in the windows. Then I spot a chap parking a Mirai in the car park - we started a chat. He said he liked it, drives exactly like an electric car with about 400km range I think he said, “1 kg of Hydrogen per 100km”. He said there’s about 12 stations in NL but he’s managing. He thought trucks will go Hydrogen as there isn’t grid capacity to charge fleets overnight. Anyway, just sharing my first real life Hydrogen car chat!
Appreciate 1
JustChris17521.50
      01-22-2024, 05:06 PM   #1982
JD6
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 840i GC + Mini Electric L3

Quote:
Originally Posted by XAlp View Post
After 90 mins on the Luton runway today my EasyJet took on Isha on the way to Amsterdam. Pleased that I slept through most of the flight and touchdown was smooth as silk. My colleague collected me in his Tesla Model 3. He mentioned next November he’ll get rid of it as the 5 year tax benefit runs out. He said he’s been wondering about Hydrogen cars. Later in the day we get close to a garage with a load of Hydrogen cars outside - Toyota Mirai and Hyundai Somethings. We called in. No sales office just parked up with QR codes in the windows. Then I spot a chap parking a Mirai in the car park - we started a chat. He said he liked it, drives exactly like an electric car with about 400km range I think he said, “1 kg of Hydrogen per 100km”. He said there’s about 12 stations in NL but he’s managing. He thought trucks will go Hydrogen as there isn’t grid capacity to charge fleets overnight. Anyway, just sharing my first real life Hydrogen car chat!
I had a hydrogen Toyota Mirai for an Uber in Oslo. The engine was very refined, the rest of the car was just regular Toyota - a bit old fashioned and plasticky. Talking to the driver, he said it would only take half a tank of hydrogen, they weren’t able to fill it so the range was pretty limited. I think he said there was only one hydrogen filling station in Oslo, which seems a bit poor, but fine for an Oslo cab I guess.

EVs pretty much rule in Norway so not convinced that hydrogen will catch on there.

400km is about 250 miles, so there doesn’t seem to be much advantage over an EV in range if that’s the limit, but I guess you can refill quickly at least.
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2024, 12:48 AM   #1983
JustChris
General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Tesla MYRWD

Update on mine. May 2024 will see us having had the car 1 year.

Mileage
11,000 miles

Issues
£0 1 slow puncture (replaced FOC on work Sal Sac)

Costs
£518 SalSac all in
£0 Depaoit
£0 Tax
£0 insurance
£0 Snart Charger and home install
£100 extra for an 8m cable on the charger
£0 Servicing
£266 Fuel for circa 10,000 miles 😂 joke

Battery degradation
Max capacity charge at collection 260 miles .
Charged last night 256 miles.
Lost 4 miles in a year. We can cope with that.
I note this does vary month to month depending perhaps on driving and charging styles and SC visits etc

Range Anxiety Moments
Just the single trip, returning from Glasgow Hyrox. I was still wide awake at 2am so just decided to pack up from the Hotel and make my way home. It was 40 miles to my planned charge stop and made it with 2 miles to go. The Tesla SCs there were awful and didn’t work for me. I had planned this stop however as I knew there were 2 other charge providers and used Gridseeve. Voss about 1.5 times but whatever, I SC on road about 1/50 charges!

Thoughts
No regrets this far. Genuinely saving a small fortune not chopping and changing cars and the fuel is basically a joke.

The opening of the SC network is going to get a bit annoyingly soon maybe with volume of muggles using. In 3 years when the car is due to change it might sway me from Tesla as their USP might have eroded. They remain however ruthlessly efficient and probably still lead in that regard.
Attached Images

KCH1984962.00
Danj94544.00
JD64275.00
      05-01-2024, 03:56 AM   #1984
DB118D
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 118d Sport

I was talking to a mate last night about cars, he was wondering when my Model 3 was due for change (~18 months)

Said at this stage, I'd likely just get another. There may be other (better?) EV options out there but the supercharging network is hard to ignore. Never had any issue with it, its cheaper than almost every other provider out there and makes long journeys stress free.
Appreciate 1
JustChris17521.50
      05-01-2024, 05:36 AM   #1985
Bryans69
Major
Rep
Drives: TTT, MGB (in bits), VW Camper

Garage List
Your comments about opening the supercharging network are interesting. Talking to a friend last week that has a Model Y. Generally likes it, but said probably wouldn't go Tesla again, as now the network has opened up, no real advantage. He drives over to Europe a lot, where it's been open for a while, and sees this as a real issue.

And who knows what the future of the network is anyway....

https://www.theverge.com/2024/4/30/2...nacs-elon-musk
Appreciate 4
KCH1984962.00
DB118D1027.50
JustChris17521.50
KRS_SN13573.00
      05-01-2024, 05:40 AM   #1986
KCH1984
Major
Rep
Drives: Tesla Model Y LR

Since this popped up with JustChris posting, I thought I'd share my 2p now that we're just over 2 years in with our LR version...

Short version, car has remained largely reliable (see below) and access to the supercharger network remains a USP at this time. I also have access to free charging at work, so I think my "fuel" costs for the year past were something like £30. That being said, I think we'll be ready for a change when the lease is up next year and may even go (whisper it) to a PHEV

Issues:
Car has been mostly fault free, but it is currently sitting at the Glasgow service centre awaiting a new front wiring harness. This first presented as a front left headlight failure and, to be fair, the Tesla service guys have been great. They came out to my office with a new headlight, but sadly that didn't resolve the issue so the car had to go in where a fault in the loom was diagnosed. I'm hoping to have the car back this week. In the meantime, the loaner Model 3 I've had has got the Full Self Driving option, but truth being told it's not great. Auto lane changes and navigate on autopilot is sketchy at best. IMO it's miles behind BMW's driving assistant pro.

Performance and efficiency - still market leading and in real world driving conditions Tesla are still miles (excuse the pun) ahead of others. Harry's Garage with the latest Model 3 also showed this up.
OTA software - nice to have recently had matrix headlights enabled and the car has definitely got better over the duration of my ownership
Superchargers - availability of these on a long journey and hassle-free route planning (with live info on those in use) takes the stress out of going electric.

Dislikes:
Superchargers (or lack of) - had our first experience of what it's like for the muggles on the public charging networks on a recent trip to the borders. Turning up at broken chargers, faffing with apps and then, ultimately, having to queue for a Instavolt made for a rather more stressful experience. My wife and I both reminisced about the X5 40d on that trip!! The infrastructure still isn't where it needs to be and, with more EVs on the road and opening of the SC network, this does concern me.
Interior - initially I quite liked the minimalist interior, but it's pretty drab and it's showing its age after 2 years. I think one of the main issues is the interior is the same whether you're spending £40k or £60k, so the sweet spot in the range is the basic car. Again, to be fair, the new Model 3 is much better in this respect with noticeable improvement in material quality and some nice touches like ambient lighting. No stalks though is a backwards step.

I don't regret getting the Tesla, and it is a great family car, but I do miss the premium feel of my previous G05. And with the electric only range of PHEVs increasing (and a charger at the office) I can see myself getting back into something like the X5 50e or (budget permitting) a RRS P460e.
JustChris17521.50
six387.50
KRS_SN13573.00
      05-01-2024, 06:10 AM   #1987
DB118D
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 118d Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryans69 View Post
Your comments about opening the supercharging network are interesting. Talking to a friend last week that has a Model Y. Generally likes it, but said probably wouldn't go Tesla again, as now the network has opened up, no real advantage. He drives over to Europe a lot, where it's been open for a while, and sees this as a real issue.

And who knows what the future of the network is anyway....

https://www.theverge.com/2024/4/30/2...nacs-elon-musk
The advantage for me is price mostly, and convenience of plug in, charge, go without the need for apps, contactless payment etc

I can't say I've noticed any detriment to my journeys because the networks has been opened up
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2024, 06:36 AM   #1988
isleaiw1
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: iPace / Mini

Quote:
Originally Posted by KCH1984 View Post
Since this popped up with JustChris posting, I thought I'd share my 2p now that we're just over 2 years in with our LR version...

Short version, car has remained largely reliable (see below) and access to the supercharger network remains a USP at this time. I also have access to free charging at work, so I think my "fuel" costs for the year past were something like £30. That being said, I think we'll be ready for a change when the lease is up next year and may even go (whisper it) to a PHEV

Issues:
Car has been mostly fault free, but it is currently sitting at the Glasgow service centre awaiting a new front wiring harness. This first presented as a front left headlight failure and, to be fair, the Tesla service guys have been great. They came out to my office with a new headlight, but sadly that didn't resolve the issue so the car had to go in where a fault in the loom was diagnosed. I'm hoping to have the car back this week. In the meantime, the loaner Model 3 I've had has got the Full Self Driving option, but truth being told it's not great. Auto lane changes and navigate on autopilot is sketchy at best. IMO it's miles behind BMW's driving assistant pro.

Performance and efficiency - still market leading and in real world driving conditions Tesla are still miles (excuse the pun) ahead of others. Harry's Garage with the latest Model 3 also showed this up.
OTA software - nice to have recently had matrix headlights enabled and the car has definitely got better over the duration of my ownership
Superchargers - availability of these on a long journey and hassle-free route planning (with live info on those in use) takes the stress out of going electric.

Dislikes:
Superchargers (or lack of) - had our first experience of what it's like for the muggles on the public charging networks on a recent trip to the borders. Turning up at broken chargers, faffing with apps and then, ultimately, having to queue for a Instavolt made for a rather more stressful experience. My wife and I both reminisced about the X5 40d on that trip!! The infrastructure still isn't where it needs to be and, with more EVs on the road and opening of the SC network, this does concern me.
Interior - initially I quite liked the minimalist interior, but it's pretty drab and it's showing its age after 2 years. I think one of the main issues is the interior is the same whether you're spending £40k or £60k, so the sweet spot in the range is the basic car. Again, to be fair, the new Model 3 is much better in this respect with noticeable improvement in material quality and some nice touches like ambient lighting. No stalks though is a backwards step.

I don't regret getting the Tesla, and it is a great family car, but I do miss the premium feel of my previous G05. And with the electric only range of PHEVs increasing (and a charger at the office) I can see myself getting back into something like the X5 50e or (budget permitting) a RRS P460e.
Interesting write up. As a muggle with a premium feel interior and less efficiency. I've never struggled for a charger, but I dont go to remote Wales of Scotland (and when I do it will be in the car with an engine and a drop top!)

Opening the SC network to others is great for others, it can only drive down prices at the other providers once word gets round that Tesla is noticeably cheaper. Not that it really matters, I'm of the camp that things I spend so little on public charging that it doesnt really matter if 80p or 50p...
Appreciate 2
JustChris17521.50
TimMcC511.50
      05-01-2024, 06:38 AM   #1989
Bryans69
Major
Rep
Drives: TTT, MGB (in bits), VW Camper

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by DB118D View Post
The advantage for me is price mostly, and convenience of plug in, charge, go without the need for apps, contactless payment etc

I can't say I've noticed any detriment to my journeys because the networks has been opened up
He was saying how much busier they were, and also non-tesla's parking across bays due to where the sockets are on the cars. Not an issue for him in the UK, as charges at home. I just thought it was an interesting comment, given that the Tesla charging network is it's biggest USP. I can also see the benefit of not needing app etc
Appreciate 1
JustChris17521.50
      05-01-2024, 06:45 AM   #1990
MashinBenzin
Major General
Rep
Drives: Eiger D5

Nice write ups guys. JustChris that was a lot of zeroes

Nearly 14k miles here, very happy with the choice. Haven’t supercharged in a few months, but have always had a good experience.

Matrix lights being enabled was a nice touch.

Still think the car is price appropriate, miss the Disco interior but that car was 50% more expensive.

The convenience, power and tranquility of EV and the sheer practicality and space that Tesla have squeezed out of a mid-sized car are what continue to blow me away. If I was buying today, I suspect I’d stretch for a Kia EV9, but there is still nothing else out there in its class that would be a clear preference for me over the Tesla.

I like it a lot more than expected, was pretty lukewarm when I ordered, it’s one of the very few cars I’ve owned that’s grown on me over time rather than its niggles taking priority in my mind.

Drives - 2020 LR Discovery HSE-L
Previous - 2019 LR Discovery HSE-L // 2016 F36 440i // 2009 E90 320D SE
Appreciate 3
KCH1984962.00
JustChris17521.50
      05-01-2024, 06:59 AM   #1991
KCH1984
Major
Rep
Drives: Tesla Model Y LR

Quote:
Originally Posted by isleaiw1 View Post
Interesting write up. As a muggle with a premium feel interior and less efficiency. I've never struggled for a charger, but I dont go to remote Wales of Scotland (and when I do it will be in the car with an engine and a drop top!)

Opening the SC network to others is great for others, it can only drive down prices at the other providers once word gets round that Tesla is noticeably cheaper. Not that it really matters, I'm of the camp that things I spend so little on public charging that it doesnt really matter if 80p or 50p...
I'm probably being a bit harsh, as that's my first real struggle getting a charge in 2 years of ownership. But us Brits do tend to dwell on the negatives. In my time with the X5 I had a couple of long waits at petrol stations due to fuel shortage scaremongering in the press, so it's not much different.

Our needs as a family have probably changed slightly though, and the flex of a PHEV coupled with the ability to still do my commute on pure electric might find favour at the time to change.
JustChris17521.50
      05-01-2024, 07:08 AM   #1992
isleaiw1
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
He was saying how much busier they were, and also non-tesla's parking across bays due to where the sockets are on the cars. Not an issue for him in the UK, as charges at home. I just thought it was an interesting comment, given that the Tesla charging network is it's biggest USP. I can also see the benefit of not needing app etc
That is definitely the problem at older chargers - the newer ones have longer cables. It was an issue placing our home charger when SIL was there with his Tesla, as the charge points were opposite ends of the car!
Appreciate 1
JustChris17521.50
      05-01-2024, 11:26 AM   #1993
Sennen
Colonel
Rep
Drives: UP, Alpine & Caterham

Lets all save 150 a month on fuel so we can lose 5 times that in depreciation and we get to drive a 'pig in a poke' ................
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2024, 12:20 PM   #1994
Danj94
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW F32 440i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sennen View Post
Lets all save 150 a month on fuel so we can lose 5 times that in depreciation and we get to drive a 'pig in a poke' ................
You sound jealous.
Appreciate 1
JustChris17521.50
      05-01-2024, 01:22 PM   #1995
JustChris
General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Tesla MYRWD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danj94 View Post
You sound jealous.
It’s alright Dan, he’ll be busy predicting the next economic crash and downturn, there have 8 since the start of Covid you know 😳.

Also hasn’t learnt the social skill of just moving on from a thread you have nothing to offer in 😂😂
      05-01-2024, 02:14 PM   #1996
isleaiw1
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustChris View Post
It’s alright Dan, he’ll be busy predicting the next economic crash and downturn, there have 8 since the start of Covid you know 😳.

Also hasn’t learnt the social skill of just moving on from a thread you have nothing to offer in 😂😂
and recommending not buying until after the crash whilst apparently buying 4 or 5 himself...

Lack of social skills is a common theme amongst some posters
Appreciate 1
JustChris17521.50
      05-01-2024, 05:09 PM   #1997
KRS_SN
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: IX,G07

Garage List
2020 X7  [10.00]
X5  [8.50]
IX  [8.00]
Quote:
Bad news..for everyone.
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2024, 11:24 PM   #1998
MashinBenzin
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sennen View Post
From the man that predicted new car transaction prices would drop massively in 2020, 2021, 2022 etc., ..... it's no great surprise that your maths is iffy. £9k a year in depreciation doesn't sound extraordinary in todays market for cars costing £50-70k.

Last depreciation article I read, the worst depreciating new car was the MX5, which is exactly the sort of car that usually has you tugging your....ummm...forelock.

Appreciate 1
KCH1984962.00
      05-02-2024, 12:41 AM   #1999
gangzoom
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: E90 335i M sport

This is why you should never do drugs, it doesn't matter how visionary you are, start acting like a diva and eventually everything will fall apart.

The Tesla Supercharging network is the golden goose of the entire EV movement, its taken me all over Europe with zero worry or concern, where as other EV charging networks barely gives me the confidence to go beyond county boundaries.

https://fortune.com/2024/04/30/elon-...ffs-executive/

For the boss to not realise how valuable your most valuable asset is shows so irreparable disconnect with the real world. All the talks on 'noticeable' Bimmer X cars have caught my attention, I do like the reliability of our Lexus but the RX is a bit too slow for my liking.......Once our house renovations are done I think there is a reasonable change I'll be swapping our X for a BMW X car. 8 year Battery/motor warranty on the Tesla will run out in 18 months time, so an ideal 'excuse' to swap cars.

Leadership is important and carries responsibility, sadly it seems like Musk for all his talents still doesn't realise that. Sadly his actions does more damage to just Tesla, the future for EVs as a whole seem pretty uncertain. 10 years of cheap/free fuel, cannot really complain. I'll eat humble pie, maybe Toyota had it right all along with hybrids focused on delivering economy with performance.
Appreciate 4
JustChris17521.50
TimMcC511.50
KRS_SN13573.00
      05-02-2024, 03:20 AM   #2000
MashinBenzin
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by gangzoom View Post
This is why you should never do drugs, it doesn't matter how visionary you are, start acting like a diva and eventually everything will fall apart.

The Tesla Supercharging network is the golden goose of the entire EV movement, its taken me all over Europe with zero worry or concern, where as other EV charging networks barely gives me the confidence to go beyond county boundaries.

https://fortune.com/2024/04/30/elon-...ffs-executive/

For the boss to not realise how valuable your most valuable asset is shows so irreparable disconnect with the real world. All the talks on 'noticeable' Bimmer X cars have caught my attention, I do like the reliability of our Lexus but the RX is a bit too slow for my liking.......Once our house renovations are done I think there is a reasonable change I'll be swapping our X for a BMW X car. 8 year Battery/motor warranty on the Tesla will run out in 18 months time, so an ideal 'excuse' to swap cars.

Leadership is important and carries responsibility, sadly it seems like Musk for all his talents still doesn't realise that. Sadly his actions does more damage to just Tesla, the future for EVs as a whole seem pretty uncertain. 10 years of cheap/free fuel, cannot really complain. I'll eat humble pie, maybe Toyota had it right all along with hybrids focused on delivering economy with performance.
gangzoom you win the award for least expected post of 2024

(ETA, assuming your account hasn’t been hacked)

Appreciate 2
Bryans691001.00
KRS_SN13573.00
      05-02-2024, 07:09 AM   #2001
KRS_SN
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: IX,G07

Garage List
2020 X7  [10.00]
X5  [8.50]
IX  [8.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by gangzoom View Post
liking.......Once our house renovations are done I think there is a reasonable change I'll be swapping our X for a BMW X car. 8 year Battery/motor warranty on the Tesla will run out in 18 months time, so an ideal 'excuse' to swap cars.
It's a looong wait...ix7 is out in 2028!!!..should be a great product..but the Koreans mfrs may have eaten the lunch and dinner by then.
Appreciate 1
      Yesterday, 12:17 AM   #2002
gangzoom
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: E90 335i M sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by MashinBenzin View Post
gangzoom you win the award for least expected post of 2024

(ETA, assuming your account hasn’t been hacked)
The sad thing is the X coming up to 8 years on is still doing everything asked of it perfectly well. But the way Tesla is heading is unrecognisable compared to 2014 when they first arrived in the UK.

Life is short and I don't want to be associated with Tesla anymore. Someone on the school run has recently swapped a Y for a Cayenne Turbo. I'm not sure financially that's justifiable in any way, but I suspect as a middle aged man in his 40s, a Porsche of some kind is inevitable .

The Macan is too small, I have no interest in a Kia or RangeRover, so the most sensible option is likely to be a X5. Will have a proper look at options once the house work is done, and I can evaluate just where we are with finances. But the X will go sometime in the next 12 months.

Last edited by gangzoom; Yesterday at 12:23 AM..
Appreciate 1
KRS_SN13573.00