F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > Regional Forums > UK > Baby seats which one
proTUNING Freaks

02-17-2019, 11:32 AM   #1
richatha
Lieutenant
England
Rep
Drives: 340i

Baby seats which one

Evening folks, with the new arrival on its way I'm now looking for some car seat recommendations for an F31. If anyone has any advice on iso fix seats that are able to transfer into a pram or similar, where your able to use the Base for bigger seats that hopefully swivel too and more importantly fit in the back of the F31 well I'd appreciate it.

Thanks all!
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2019, 12:02 PM   #2
RoarinRow
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 328i Glacier Silver

Garage List
2012 BMW 328i  [0.00]
2014 BMW X1  [0.00]
Congrats on your up and coming new born. We have 3 kids so we have a little experience. For our vehicles we picked up Britax brand seats.

They are good quality, has good ratings, and most of the choices we saw were black/grey color which matched our car interiors. Personally I didn't want any bright colored seats in our black interior lol.

Our 5 almost 6 year old is still in her Britax.
2012 328i Sedan - Glacier Silver - 18" Toyo Proxes 4 Plus Tires with Nürburgring Metal Grey Rims, H&R Sport Springs, VRSF Intercooler, JB+, aFe Air Filter, Magnaflow Exhaust, Carbon Fiber accents, SS Pedals, Bavsound System, BMW CCA member since 2015. First Bimmer - 2000 Z3 M. Second Bimmer - 2014 X1 sDrive28.
Appreciate 1
sspade2460.00
      02-17-2019, 12:25 PM   #3
aquazi
Major
Rep
Drives: 18 M4C

Quote:
Originally Posted by richatha View Post
Evening folks, with the new arrival on its way I'm now looking for some car seat recommendations for an F31. If anyone has any advice on iso fix seats that are able to transfer into a pram or similar, where your able to use the Base for bigger seats that hopefully swivel too and more importantly fit in the back of the F31 well I'd appreciate it.

Thanks all!
Best advise i can give is pop over to a local mothercare and try them out... even if you dont buy it from them.

We are expecting baby no2 in 2 weeks... and forgot how heavy those stupid new born seats are!

I personally wouldnt care about a swivel isofix for bigger seats... as when they are bigger getting them in and out is easier as you clip them on... and not a spaceship of a seat!!
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2019, 12:31 PM   #4
Gospeedracer
Private
Rep
Drives: Estoril 435i M-Sport

Both our kids got Recaro baby seats. Cheap investment in your kids safety. Car wrecks are vicious mercilessly incidents. The Recaro child seat lasted and only complaint was the weight but compared to others you'll see how flimsy they really are and why the Recaro has the weight to it.
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2019, 01:03 PM   #5
teaston
Banned
No_Country
Rep
Drives: X3 M40d

We've been very happy with the Joie stuff, got the entire travel system for around £500, yes some people spend £1k+ on iCandy etc. but honestly it's not worth it as they grow out of it and have a proper car seat and lightweight foldable pushchair before you know it!
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2019, 07:20 PM   #6
Theone88
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 435d F36 GC

Best tip to give, 100% get an isofix base for the baby car seat (group 1)
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2019, 04:38 AM   #7
richatha
Lieutenant
England
Rep

Thanks everyone, I will be getting one that has an isofix base Theone88 but would like to find one that once the little one is out the baby seat and into something a bit bigger i can use the same base.

teaston i looked at the Joie stuff this morning which one do you have? https://www.joiebaby.com/cat/travel-systems/ I'm struggling to understand the difference in them apart from the colour

I will spend some more time looking into recaro too Gospeedracer
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2019, 07:24 AM   #8
bgalakazam
Private First Class
Germany
Rep
Drives: 2015 328i

Garage List
2015 BMW 328i  [0.00]
Britax
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2019, 07:33 AM   #9
1966-TR4
Captain
Scotland
Rep
Drives: F31 330D xDrive MPPK ACS

Quote:
Thanks everyone, I will be getting one that has an isofix base Theone88 but would like to find one that once the little one is out the baby seat and into something a bit bigger i can use the same base.

teaston i looked at the Joie stuff this morning which one do you have? https://www.joiebaby.com/cat/travel-systems/ I'm struggling to understand the difference in them apart from the colour

I think you are trying to save money at the wrong point. Once they are too big for the seat, junk the seat and base and get a 360 (180, really) Isofix with top tether seat that can face backwards if they are still at that stage, and then face forwards until they are 4.

Axissfix is good https://www.maxi-cosi.co.uk/gb-en/ca.../axissfix.aspx

Gone but not forgotten: 1967 Triumph GT6 Mk1 (6 pot 2 litre widowmaker) 1966 Triumph TR4A (4 pot 2.2 litre, huge torque, lovely car) 2004 Audi TT 3.2 DSG Quattro (weak springs & nose heavy) 2006 VW Golf GTI (brilliant on good tyres)
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2019, 07:44 AM   #10
strike4A
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: X3 M40i LCI Tanzanite Blue II

Quote:

We have the MaxiCosi 2way fix base with Pebble Plus seat which should last until baby is about 12-13 months old then will switch to the 2wayPearl seat which can be used with the same base. Happy with everything so far. No rattles...
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2019, 08:56 AM   #11
openside
Enlisted Member
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 530d touring

when we went to car seat safety centre in Milton Keynes they reckoned that the F30/1 was one of the worst cars they knew of to fit baby seats into due to the incline of the rear seats. Not so much on the baby seat but when you get an infant seat you need to check the angle of seat when installed in your car. The child won't be as reclined in an F30/1 assuming rear facing. We got a Maxi Cosi with separate ISOfix base and it has been very good. Front seat travel and/or position is limited with it in place though.
      02-18-2019, 10:05 AM   #12
teaston
Banned
No_Country
Rep
Drives: X3 M40d

Quote:

This is the newer version of the one we had:

https://www.preciouslittleone.com/pr...SABEgJ7JPD_BwE

Then you just need an isofix base:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/d/Baby-Car-...ie+isofix+base

As 1966-TR4 says, don't worry about the base fitting the later car seat, get a "360" one that has isofix built in when the time comes.
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2019, 11:18 AM   #13
A15X
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW 430d M sport Convertible

Quote:
Originally Posted by strike4A View Post
We have the MaxiCosi 2way fix base with Pebble Plus seat which should last until baby is about 12-13 months old then will switch to the 2wayPearl seat which can be used with the same base. Happy with everything so far. No rattles...
We have this seat for our 19 month old and had it from birth feels very secure and safe easy to get our girl in and out we do have 2 bases in each car and swap the seat between our 2 cars.

We have just bought a replacement as the seat was in my car when someone hit my wife from behind...seems mad I’ve got to bin 450 quid worth of car seat which is immaculate but better safe than sorry!
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2019, 12:55 PM   #14
bytejunkie
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F31 335d xDrive M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gospeedracer View Post
Both our kids got Recaro baby seats. Cheap investment in your kids safety. Car wrecks are vicious mercilessly incidents. The Recaro child seat lasted and only complaint was the weight but compared to others you'll see how flimsy they really are and why the Recaro has the weight to it.
cant add anything to this discussion other than read the which review and you might not go for the recaro.

Matt
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2019, 05:40 AM   #15
Malone
Captain
Rep
Drives: 340i Touring Shadow Ed. MPPSK

We used the Maxi-Cosi Cabriofix (as part of an iCandy travel system) with the iso-fix base. This was great for a few months and make life really easy for getting little one around and into the buggy base for a quick trip out, but we found that once she got to around 4-5 months, although she fitted in the Cabriofix, it was starting to get a bit heavy lifting the whole unit in and out with her in.
Changed to a Britax Dualfix and it’s been great so far. Not sure with other swivel seats, but this one will swivel either way, so it’s still farily easy to get them in/out of the other side of the car if needed.
You’ll probably find that when they get to the bigger seats, the isofix base is fixed - might struglle to find one the uses the same base from birth on a removable seat system.
Car seats (along with most other baby stuff) are a bloody minefield!! Find a good Mothercare or John Lewis and they’ll go through and demonstrate everything.

Congrats on the new arrival - it’s one hell of a life changer!!
      02-19-2019, 08:46 AM   #16
Apples12
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 520D LCI auto

Maxi-cosi pebble plus with isofix base for the first 12months then switched to the axissfix up to 4yrs old, the swivel is worth its weight in gold in my opinion, saves your back and less disruptive to Baba if he/she is sleeping when you want to take them out.

And congrats!
Appreciate 1
      02-19-2019, 09:37 AM   #17
Daftasabrush
Fool
England
Rep
Drives: F31 340i

Quote:
Originally Posted by A15X View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by strike4A View Post
We have this seat for our 19 month old and had it from birth feels very secure and safe easy to get our girl in and out we do have 2 bases in each car and swap the seat between our 2 cars.

We have just bought a replacement as the seat was in my car when someone hit my wife from behind...seems mad I’ve got to bin 450 quid worth of car seat which is immaculate but better safe than sorry!
Maxi cosi will test, repair and ship both ways for £40, loads cheaper than a new one
      02-19-2019, 09:42 AM   #18
A15X
Lieutenant
Rep

That’s really good to know, our insurance provider has reimbursed me for the full amount so not so worried about the old one but may get it looked at as a back up as a spare.
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2019, 01:04 PM   #19
richatha
Lieutenant
England
Rep

Sorry to bring it back up. Just about to push the button on a maxi cosy pebble plus & 2way Isofix Base.

Does any fellow f31 have one and does it fit ok with the slightly awkward seats.

Also we have chosen the Joei Chrome DLX which seems to fit the bill perfectly!
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2019, 01:45 PM   #20
A15X
Lieutenant
Rep

The two way fix base has an adjustable leg and we have fitted it in a range of different cars. Fits well in my 430d vert so imagine it would fit better in an f31.
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2019, 02:55 AM   #21
richatha
Lieutenant
England
Rep

Me again.

So I've just ordered a car seat and Base a maxi cosi one to be exact. I tried it in at mothercare and fits nicely but made me wonder about protecting the leather and if anyone has put something underneath the Base to stop it wearing / scratching or am I just being over protective.
Appreciate 1
      06-03-2019, 03:33 AM   #22
strike4A
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: X3 M40i LCI Tanzanite Blue II

Quote:
Me again.

So I've just ordered a car seat and Base a maxi cosi one to be exact. I tried it in at mothercare and fits nicely but made me wonder about protecting the leather and if anyone has put something underneath the Base to stop it wearing / scratching or am I just being over protective.
Definitely worth protecting. We use this: https://www.amazon.co.uk/Maxi-Cosi-B...=2IVYT2V55ELL8
Appreciate 0