F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > F30 DIYs and Coding Discussions > Video: Rear View (Reverse) Camera Retrofit on top of NBT retrofit
Extreme Powerhouse

07-01-2016, 04:14 PM   #1
omaryanoo
Rep
Drives: BMW F30 2012

Video: Rear View (Reverse) Camera Retrofit on top of NBT retrofit

In this video I retrofitted a reverse (backup) rear view camera for my BMW F30 2012 3 series. I already have NBT retrofit in place and the camera module was installed in addition to that.

I still have an issue that the dynamic guidelines don't always appear. They sometimes appear for few seconds and then go. Any idea?

Link to the camera kit on eBay: http://r.ebay.com/PUK2jK

After the installation, you need to add 3AG option and do VO coding for your REM/PDC and NBT modules. After that you should be able to see the camera when you shift to reverse.

After the installation, I have the following issues:
- The dynamic guide line are not working properly, sometimes the appear for few seconds but then disappear
- The view of the camera is a bit like' fish-eye' (very wide angel). The seller said that this is wide angel to give more wide viewing but my issue is its too wide to the extent it's showing the edge of the car rounded as you can see in the end of the video.

The seller suggested many things to help fix the issue of the guide lines but they didn't work. He even sent a replacement kit with quadlock harness which I tried but it gave same result. So it seems there is an issue causing the module not to read the bus properly so if anyone can help here please reply in comment and it would be much appreciated.

This job included the following and most are shown in the video:
- Replace boot (trunk) handle
- Install reversing camera handle
- remove boot lid trim and carpet
- remove boot side carpet
- route a wire (video cable) through the car from the boot to the dashboard
- Remove interior trim
- Remove dashboard
- Coding

Needed for the job:
- Trim removal tool
- Cloth tape for the loom
- Reverse Camera
- Camera module
- Quadlock harness or appropriate wiring
- T20 screwdriver
- BMW Car

And here is the video of the NBT retrofit that I did previously:

I upgraded from HU_Entry to HU_High (NBT). I bought everything from the internet (all from eBay):

- NBT Head Unit
- 8.8 inch display
- iDrive Touch Controller
- GPS Antenna

All the above came from one seller together: http://r.ebay.com/9rz2KX
I got the normal NBT but you can go for the DAB and/or for the EVO but I'm not sure if EVO coding is as easy. Some units come with normal controller but I chose the touch controller instead which in my opinion an upgrade worth the few extra money. The seller sent me the actual photos of the items before shipping but they don't supply the VIN so you don't know the original vehicle ordering before installing the unit.

- NBT Emulator with quadlock harness and Y-cable for touch controller and its module: http://r.ebay.com/PiYbJj This is the only one I found that came with wiring ready for the emulator and also a wiring for the iDrive and touch unit (which you'll need to connect the touch ECU module and also the controller itself especially if you're coming from 2012 car that has old K_CAN1 iDrive controller)

- Control unit Controller Touch (iDrive controller ECU module to enable touch function): http://r.ebay.com/SmBHXM I bought this one because it's cheaper than others and was worried that it won't work because it says Japan on it but it works perfectly fine.

- NBT to CID HSD cable: http://r.ebay.com/5Qhv8D Which you'll need to connect your new display to the NBT unit as the existing one won't fit

- ENET cable for coding: http://r.ebay.com/3MbPOh There are other more expensive cables but this one does the job

- Trim removal kit: http://r.ebay.com/dHJDli

Now for the coding you'll need:

- E-Sys software for coding, its launcher and data files: you can get from Shawn (shawnsheridanin). If you have been in any BMW forum for more than 2 minutes then you should know who Shawn is As always, Shawn was great and offered a lot of help in coding and getting the files I need.

The coding was easier than I expected. You need some time to get your head around it if this is your first time but basically the steps are as following:
- Connect E-Sys and go to Expert Mode >> Coding >> Read Vehicle Order >> Save >> Edit.
This will take you to FA editor. Right click on FA and select Calculate FP. Expand FAList on left to SALAPA-element.
In the bottom, add 609 and change 6NH to 6NS. Click apply. Calculate FP again. Save.
Go to Expert Mode >> VCM >> Load the saved FA file in the bottom section, file tab >> Right-click FA and Calculate FP >> Go to VCM Master tab >> write FA FP.

The you need to VO code NBT and Kombi as following:
Expert Mode >> Coding >> Read FA (VO) >> Activate FA (VO) >> Read SVT (VCM) >> Left-Click on HU_NBT >> "Detect CAF for SWE" >> Select the latest CAFD displayed >> OK >> Right-Click on HU_NBT (the ECU itself not the underlying CAFD) => CODE.

Repeat the last step but for the BKOMBI this time.

After the above coding, Nav should work fine and shows your location. All errors that appeared after the retrofit should go now. You can now FDL code to enable touch function and any other feature you want. You can also update the maps to the latest version after generating the FSC code and putting the maps on a USB stick.
Appreciate 2
F30F300.00
      07-01-2016, 04:37 PM   #2
gpdrama
Enlisted Member
Greece
Rep
Drives: F30 316i

Very nice guide!

How did you connect the camera's harness and the emulator?

Is like CAR-EMULATOR-CAMERA-NBT or not?
Appreciate 0
      07-02-2016, 02:23 AM   #3
omaryanoo
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by gpdrama
Very nice guide!

How did you connect the camera's harness and the emulator?

Is like CAR-EMULATOR-CAMERA-NBT or not?
If you have original NBT then it's just plug nd play. If you have a retrofit NBT then you need to connect the camera module similar to the NBT emulater, power and groung then can high and can low. You also have three wires coming out of the module going to the NBT pins I mention in the video. I will look for NBT pinout and post herr
Appreciate 0
      07-02-2016, 03:33 AM   #4
Gabrola
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 340i

Very cool to see someone with the same exact setup as me. I also have a retrofitted NBT (evo) and OEM backing camera. You seem to be a fellow Arab too
Appreciate 0
      07-02-2016, 04:42 AM   #5
omaryanoo
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gabrola
Very cool to see someone with the same exact setup as me. I also have a retrofitted NBT (evo) and OEM backing camera. You seem to be a fellow Arab too
Good to know you have the same setup which camera do you have? Do you have the same issue that I have or doest it work 100%
Appreciate 0
      07-02-2016, 02:30 PM   #6
Gabrola
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by omaryanoo View Post
Good to know you have the same setup which camera do you have? Do you have the same issue that I have or doest it work 100%
I bought the OEM setup which includes the OEM TRSV control module mounted in the driver's footwell. It works as expected with no issues at all but was obviously a bit too expensive for my liking.
I think the control unit should be responsible for drawing the dynamic lines over the camera output, so I suspect yours may either be a faulty control unit or maybe your CAN signal is having problems. The CAN wires must be twisted throughout its whole length or else it will be affected by noise.
Appreciate 0
      07-03-2016, 03:59 PM   #7
omaryanoo
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gabrola
Quote:
I bought the OEM setup which includes the OEM TRSV control module mounted in the driver's footwell. It works as expected with no issues at all but was obviously a bit too expensive for my liking.
I think the control unit should be responsible for drawing the dynamic lines over the camera output, so I suspect yours may either be a faulty control unit or maybe your CAN signal is having problems. The CAN wires must be twisted throughout its whole length or else it will be affected by noise.
Thanks for the info. I don't think the module is faulty because the seller sent another one and it has the same issue so I doubt that both are faulty. It must be a problem with the CAN bus, I will try to twist them and see if the problem is fixed.
Appreciate 0
      07-04-2016, 01:00 PM   #8
omaryanoo
Rep

Quote:
If you have original NBT then it's just plug nd play. If you have a retrofit NBT then you need to connect the camera module similar to the NBT emulater, power and groung then can high and can low. You also have three wires coming out of the module going to the NBT pins I mention in the video. I will look for NBT pinout and post herr
Here is the NBT pinout attached.
Video cables go to pins 21 (High), 23 and 24 (low)
Can connect to pin 9 (low) and pin 11 (high)
power to pin 15 and GND to pin 12

I started to think that my problem might be because I am connecting to K-CAN2 which is present at the NBT end. I might need to connect to K-CAN1 instead (although the seller of the unit said it's K-CAN2)
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      07-04-2016, 02:44 PM   #9
Gabrola
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Here is the NBT pinout attached.
Video cables go to pins 21 (High), 23 and 24 (low)
Can connect to pin 9 (low) and pin 11 (high)
power to pin 15 and GND to pin 12

I started to think that my problem might be because I am connecting to K-CAN2 which is present at the NBT end. I might need to connect to K-CAN1 instead (although the seller of the unit said it's K-CAN2)
Actually you should connect to K-CAN not K-CAN2, the correct pins to connect the camera control unit to is on FEM A173*8B pins 51 and 52 which are K-CAN1.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      07-04-2016, 04:47 PM   #10
omaryanoo
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gabrola View Post
Actually you should connect to K-CAN not K-CAN2, the correct pins to connect the camera control unit to is on FEM A173*8B pins 51 and 52 which are K-CAN1.
Thanks. I will try that in the weekend if twisting the wires doesn't do the job. I might use the K-CAN1 wires from the old iDrive controller connector that I swapped with new iDrive controller with touch module and K-CAN2 connector, I think it's easier to get to.
Appreciate 0
      07-10-2016, 10:37 AM   #11
omaryanoo
Rep

I need your help here if anyone has any tips. My system was working properly but I was trying to connect the camera module to the K_CAN wires and suddenly these errors started to appear.

-Restrain System error
- Increased steer effort.. Drive moderately

I tried to restart and to re VO code KOMBI, NBT and FEM_Body but the errors are still there. I think I might had a short circuit and blown up a fuse. Do you have any idea?

Thanks,
Appreciate 0
      07-10-2016, 03:19 PM   #12
omaryanoo
Rep

It turned out that a fuse blew because of a short circuit. I checked all the fuses and fuse #25 was faulty. I replaced with another fuse and the errors disappeared.
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2018, 11:18 AM   #13
omaryanoo
Rep

You can see my new post here showing how to upgrade this camera module to have a new one that fix the dynamic lines and you can have front view camera added to it. Also this one doesn't need coding

https://f30.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh...5#post23058725

The complete video here:
Appreciate 0
      06-25-2018, 09:08 PM   #14
MacsRule
Rep
Drives: 2012 335i

Anyone know where to put the camera module after installing this retrofit? I’ve been wrestling with it for 3 days and can’t seem to get it to fit in the dash behind the stereo system. Can’t drive my car with the guts hanging out. Any help is appreciated.
Appreciate 0
      06-25-2018, 09:10 PM   #15
MacsRule
Rep
Drives: 2012 335i

Oh, I forgot to mention.....can’t seem to get the dynamic lines to work either.
Appreciate 0
      10-09-2018, 01:02 PM   #16
Laurent0613
Rep
Drives: 2017 328ix

Garage List
2017 328ix  [0.00]
Did you solve your problem with dynamic lines not working? I have the same problem....
Appreciate 0