F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > Regional Forums > UK > UK - Off Topic > Thomas Cook
proTUNING Freaks

09-22-2019, 06:46 AM   #23
TouringPleb
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: SRB 440i GC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lincoln61 View Post
Having being caught up in the package holiday nightmare with TC about 10 years ago, when they royaly shafted me. I have never used a company again, always use expedia.

I hope they go bust, peoples holidays are not a cattle herding exercise.
You are hoping 9,000 people in the UK loose their job because you were "royally shafted" 10 years ago?

Words fail me.
Appreciate 4
Rbrown2764.50
Wills28654.50
dizzy619446.50
      09-22-2019, 06:53 AM   #24
Broncho
Banned
England
Rep
Drives: Chav white Mercedes

I flew with them to New York last year, they forgot to come back and charge us £5 each for the inflight entertainment.

I feel partly to blame
Appreciate 1
Rbrown2764.50
      09-22-2019, 07:22 AM   #25
JD6
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 840i GC + Mini Electric L3

Quote:
Originally Posted by TouringPleb View Post
You are hoping 9,000 people in the UK loose their job because you were "royally shafted" 10 years ago?

Words fail me.
I have no strong feeling about Thomas Cook, but in general I share Lincoln61 's view that companies which treat customers badly, and rely on the fact that it is difficult for a customer to take on a corporation, deserve to fail. The UK has pretty much full employment, and people won't stop going on holiday, so unless TC was particularly inefficient, those jobs will probably be replaced elsewhere.

I will keep sticking pins in my voodoo dolls of British Gas, Extra Energy*, BT, Ryanair, Lloyds Bank...

* This doll is ready to be reassigned now that Extra Energy have gone bust...
Appreciate 0
      09-22-2019, 08:04 AM   #26
Wills2
Barge driver
Ukraine
Rep
Drives: 730d

Watching the news it's getting a bit tasty for some holiday makers in Tunisia, hotels refusing to let them leave the hotel and confiscating luggage etc...fisticuffs as well with some Scots. (huge shock! )

On a serious note though this is why the gov will pay to get people back as it can all turn very nasty very quickly and that's a PR disaster for any gov.
      09-22-2019, 08:42 AM   #27
mikeoz
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 M40d LCI

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wills2 View Post
Watching the news it's getting a bit tasty for some holiday makers in Tunisia, hotels refusing to let them leave the hotel and confiscating luggage etc...fisticuffs as well with some Scots. (huge shock! )

On a serious note though this is why the gov will pay to get people back as it can all turn very nasty very quickly and that's a PR disaster for any gov.
I didnt know Tunisia was back on the menu after the attacks..must of missed that?
Appreciate 0
      09-22-2019, 08:48 AM   #28
Wills2
Barge driver
Ukraine
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeoz View Post
I didnt know Tunisia was back on the menu after the attacks..must of missed that?
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-49785426

Scroll down to the "held hostage" bit.
      09-22-2019, 08:54 AM   #29
mikeoz
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-49785426

Scroll down to the "held hostage" bit.
I guess its an improvement.. they are not being murdered now.
Wonderful end to a hol that..
Appreciate 0
      09-22-2019, 09:42 AM   #30
R0B
Colonel
Rep
Drives: a car

Happened to me many moons ago, a holiday company went bust while I was in Rhodes. The news wires said hotels would charge customers, but the place where we stayed absorbed the loss and didn't kick us out. I remember this trip vividly as the room had a huge corner bath jacuzzi thing and I smashed the daylights out of the Mrs in it.
Appreciate 1
Rbrown2764.50
      09-22-2019, 03:04 PM   #31
TouringPleb
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: SRB 440i GC

Quote:
Originally Posted by JD6 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by TouringPleb View Post

Words fail me.
I have no strong feeling about Thomas Cook, but in general I share Lincoln61 's view that companies which treat customers badly, and rely on the fact that it is difficult for a customer to take on a corporation, deserve to fail. The UK has pretty much full employment, and people won't stop going on holiday, so unless TC was particularly inefficient, those jobs will probably be replaced elsewhere.

I will keep sticking pins in my voodoo dolls of British Gas, Extra Energy*, BT, Ryanair, Lloyds Bank...

* This doll is ready to be reassigned now that Extra Energy have gone bust...
I appreciate what you are saying regarding poor customer service, but it struck me as a particularly callous thing to say with no regard for the families affected.
Appreciate 1
Rbrown2764.50
      09-22-2019, 05:27 PM   #32
RobUK
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 340i MPPSK

Garage List
Quote:
Apparently they've been offering some very cheap deals.

Went there about thirty years ago, but not somewhere I ever felt the need to return to even before all the trouble. Probably doing Tunisia a great disservice.

------

So looks like the Thomas Cook party is finally over all bar the formal announcement tomorrow morning. Lot of holiday makers on the news unhappy about being kept in the dark?

Life is a state of mind
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2019, 12:28 AM   #33
zofinger
Major
England
Rep
Drives: F30 335d MSport

Quote:
I hope it could never turn into a PR disaster for the UK gov. It's hardly their fault and they shouldn't be culpable for anyone turning nasty (hotels or patrons). In fact it's because of the UK Gov (the law states packaged holidays must be protected - hence ATOL) that a vast majority of people get home without having to pay / claim from their insurance. And those that do will be able to claim back costs incurred. The ATOL thing is very good - something we should be proud of. Well done the UK!
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2019, 12:28 AM   #34
Rbrown
Brigadier General
Scotland
Rep
Drives: X3 M40i

As feared, Thomas Cook no longer trading.

Our holiday cancelled. Will now have to get refund. My kids are gutted, but really feel for all those who have now lost their jobs. ATOL having to pay all compensation, so can only guess the price of holidays will go up as a result.

Hope all those currently overseas get home as planned.
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2019, 12:32 AM   #35
planemad
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2020 Audi SQ7 & 2019 AM DB11
Location: The Democratic Peoples Republic Of South East England

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rbrown View Post
As feared, Thomas Cook no longer trading.

Our holiday cancelled. Will now have to get refund. My kids are gutted, but really feel for all those who have now lost their jobs. ATOL having to pay all compensation, so can only guess the price of holidays will go up as a result.

Hope all those currently overseas get home as planned.
Get yourself on to tui/first choice and rebook. No need for gutted kids.
Appreciate 2
Rbrown2764.50
Wills28654.50
      09-23-2019, 01:37 AM   #36
EvilDrPorkChop
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Porsche Cayman

We always booked direct, book your own flights, hotel and transfers. Been doing it for last 10 years and not had any issues, hotels treat/look after you better as you are their customer not a travel companies. Done this since a bad experience with First Choice and realised all travel companies are rouges

Still doesn't get around the fact that a airline could still go bust, but at least it's only a flight and you can always get another one. And we've only ever paid for a hotel on arrival.
Appreciate 4
Rbrown2764.50
Lincoln61746.50
1 AKY459.00
JustChris17485.50
      09-23-2019, 02:08 AM   #37
doncarlyon
Captain
Rep
Drives: Megane RS 300 Trophy

Shame for all those now out of work
Appreciate 1
Rbrown2764.50
      09-23-2019, 08:38 AM   #38
mikeoz
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep

My friends husband got a message to attend the big meeting in P.boro HQ this morning with every one else. Turned up management read 2 names out asking them to stay behind to help customers get home then told rest of work force to go home and that it would take 2 weeks for Govt to sort redundancy out... proper crap...
Appreciate 2
Rbrown2764.50
RustyBitz1573.50
      09-23-2019, 08:57 AM   #39
isleaiw1
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: iPace / Mini

Quote:
My friends husband got a message to attend the big meeting in P.boro HQ this morning with every one else. Turned up management read 2 names out asking them to stay behind to help customers get home then told rest of work force to go home and that it would take 2 weeks for Govt to sort redundancy out... proper crap...
when you say mgt, it would be appointees of adminsitrator. Been there and got that t shirt, no fun at all!
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2019, 09:30 AM   #40
Wills2
Barge driver
Ukraine
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by zofinger View Post
I hope it could never turn into a PR disaster for the UK gov. It's hardly their fault and they shouldn't be culpable for anyone turning nasty (hotels or patrons).
Of course it would, if they refused and left thousands of people stranded and bad things happened, it would a political nightmare the opposition would have a field day "shambles/uncaring gov etc...." newspapers would be full of damning stories of old people left to rot in north African countries, no one would be looking to blame TC....

No minister is going to want that on his/her plate, hence everyone generally gets brought home in these situation whether they are ATOL protected or not.
      09-23-2019, 09:32 AM   #41
Mohawk
Rep
Drives: BMW F31 320D xdrive

Quote:
ATOL will pick up the tab for all package deal flights home I believe not the gov.
Yeah & there are nowhere near as many people caught out by this as advertised. There is no reason for HMG to do anything for people's abroad. If they don't have travel insurance &/or a credit card they deserve what they get.

Its not the industry regulation that's the problem, its the auditors that keep giving companies a clean bill of health when their finances are crap. The gov is trying to clamp down on that but very poorly.
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2019, 10:17 AM   #42
zofinger
Major
England
Rep

Quote:
Of course it would, if they refused and left thousands of people stranded and bad things happened, it would a political nightmare the opposition would have a field day "shambles/uncaring gov etc...." newspapers would be full of damning stories of old people left to rot in north African countries, no one would be looking to blame TC....

No minister is going to want that on his/her plate, hence everyone generally gets brought home in these situation whether they are ATOL protected or not.
I mean the govt. shouldn’t be blamed for things getting nasty (which I believe was your point). There’s no question of the ATOL scheme not kicking in - it started flying empty planes out to destinations Sunday PM. If the ATOL scheme didn’t do what it’s suppose to, then yes, the CAA and govt. will be dragged over the coals. But there’s no question of that, currently.
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2019, 10:26 AM   #43
zofinger
Major
England
Rep

There are some holiday folk who will be left out of pocket by all this - those who are booked to fly with other airlines/tour operators meeting up with family who are now not going as they’re booked through TC - e.g weddings. Not sure how all that pans out. Guess the TC ones need to re-book quickly.
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2019, 10:34 AM   #44
zofinger
Major
England
Rep

Quote:
There needs to be better regulation of the industry. I cant see how its acceptable for us the taxpayer to have to pick up the 600m if they go under or possibly bail them out by 200m...plus what ever the Nationalised banks already have in TC?

Seems a Loose Loose to me..
Quote:
ATOL will pick up the tab for all package deal flights home I believe not the gov.
Yes. ATOLs pot of money for scenarios like this comes from tour operators who contribute - not govt./taxpayer. It’s the cost of doing business so presume anyone gone on hol with an ATOL operator will have paid for this.
Appreciate 0