F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > F30 DIYs and Coding Discussions > coding question
GetBMWParts

10-11-2018, 03:39 PM   #1
graphicjunkie
Private
Rep
Drives: 2016 535d Msport Xdrive

coding question

I'm wanting to do some recoding. But I don't honestly want to jump in and start hacking my ECU, or have someone else do it either. I'd rather go with a store bought box product. Yes I understand that they essentially do the same thing. But the box product is automated proven, eliminating any potential human error.

My two preferred options are B1mmerAmerica or Carly.

Is there any solid reason to go with one vs the other?

If Carly, is there a best place of purchase the plug? The app showed getting it from over the pond, which I'm not REAL fond of doing from a credit card info stand point.

From what I'm seeing, BA is a one time code thing. Gotta send the hardware back when done, otherwise pay a premium to keep it all. Carly is an app on your phone to tweak when ever you want.

Is there another option I haven't heard of?
Appreciate 0
      10-11-2018, 04:34 PM   #2
jaydaman93
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2016 bmw 328i xdrive

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by graphicjunkie View Post
I'm wanting to do some recoding. But I don't honestly want to jump in and start hacking my ECU, or have someone else do it either. I'd rather go with a store bought box product. Yes I understand that they essentially do the same thing. But the box product is automated proven, eliminating any potential human error.

My two preferred options are B1mmerAmerica or Carly.

Is there any solid reason to go with one vs the other?

If Carly, is there a best place of purchase the plug? The app showed getting it from over the pond, which I'm not REAL fond of doing from a credit card info stand point.

From what I'm seeing, BA is a one time code thing. Gotta send the hardware back when done, otherwise pay a premium to keep it all. Carly is an app on your phone to tweak when ever you want.

Is there another option I haven't heard of?

FDL coding is super easy once you get the software and the obd adapter to plug to your car. It also lets you do other stuff. Its hard to mess up if you follow all the instructions. The cable will probably cost you like 20 bucks if you buy it. I bought one of these and use the esys software in a virtual machine on my macbook. The number one rule is NEVER press code defaults.....that will brick your car. Other than that, if you are still scared, you can get one of many apps withe bluetooth/wifi obd adapters. I think the most popular ones are bimmercode and carly. Carly i know will let you do other stuff like register your battery and stuff. Not sure about other capabilities on bimmercode. You should check out each ones website. They will list compatible models for the obd adapter. you can just buy one of the listed models on amazon or ebay and then download the appropriate app. Once you do that, it should be pretty simple.

heres a link to list of adpaters supported by bimmercode:
http://bimmercodeapp.com/adapter/
Appreciate 0
      10-11-2018, 06:37 PM   #3
graphicjunkie
Private
Rep
Drives: 2016 535d Msport Xdrive

thanks for the input. But for real....I want nothing to do with that. And as you put it...a simple oops and my car is a brick. Just supports why I want nothing to do with that. lol.
Appreciate 0
      10-12-2018, 02:52 AM   #4
khii
Registered
Rep
Drives: 330e, X3

I feel the way. I bought an enet cable and once booted up the E-SYS software, I decided to run the other way with Bimmercode and never looked back. The simple to use GUI will let you do most things that you need and what you can't find you can use the Expert Mode with gives you a little more control. The best thing about it is, it will not show you codes that does not exist for you system thus limiting the chances of bricking your car.
Appreciate 0