F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > Photo, Video, Media Gallery, Journals > Bandook's 13 335i progress thread
Studio RSR

08-08-2020, 06:25 PM   #1
bandook
Private
Rep
Drives: 2013 335i

Bandook's 13 335i progress thread

Welp, about a month ago I drove a 12 335i convertible. I guess I was impressed because I knew I had to have one so after test driving a couple more I settled on a 13 black saphire metallic sedan. I feel blessed to have found one in such good condition. I have a stack of service records with pretty much all the work done that I was expecting to have to do. OFH, valve cover and oil pan gaskets done just months ago. Rear tires were shot so I put a pair of pilot S4S on. When getting them mounted I learned that one wheel is slightly bent so will be seeing about having that repaired this week hopefully.

Have some mods planned so I'll keep them logged here. So far have only ordered a charge pipe because I haven't made my mind up about the direction I'm going.
Attached Images

Last edited by bandook; 11-02-2020 at 06:37 PM..
Appreciate 0
      08-08-2020, 06:30 PM   #2
bandook
Private
Rep

Only thing I've done besides tires is replace the wiper cowl. Was pretty dry rotted.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      08-10-2020, 12:44 AM   #3
328iX
David
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 328iX F31

Interesting looking coupe haha, congrats
Appreciate 2
bandook28.50
_das_bae_374.50
      08-17-2020, 08:22 PM   #4
bandook
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 328iX View Post
Interesting looking coupe haha, congrats
Yeah, didn't mention I did the +2 door mod, lol. Sheesh...

Got a vrsf charge pipe and JB4 installed. Was a nice wakeup for sure! Hope to have the catless DP installed by this weekend. Can't wait to get it on map 2! Right now map 5 feels a lot better than map 1, but the logs don't look great. A lot of throttle closures. Just gonna have to wait for the dp. Ordered some ps4s for the front. Was gonna hold off a little but the runflats are pretty cupped and noisy and I just couldn't stand the noise any more. After dp I want to take a look at the valves. Have a feeling they might be pretty nasty with 93k on the clock and the throttle does feel a little laggy. Also did plugs yesterday, ngk 97968 @ 22. They were done about 25k ago according to service records.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      08-18-2020, 07:47 AM   #5
e90Nate
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

Garage List
congrats on the new car! Can't wait to see what you do with this build!
      08-18-2020, 08:33 PM   #6
bandook
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by e90Nate View Post
congrats on the new car! Can't wait to see what you do with this build!
Thanks! I can't wait to see what I do either

Being my first DI engine, I couldn't wait to see how gunked up my valves were. At 93k miles I was expecting a gooey mess. But, just like everything else on this car so far the maintenance has impressed me again. Either the valves were cleaned not so long ago or this engine just runs clean. Or perhaps it's mostly the n54 that gets the gunky valves? Even though they weren't terrible I gave them a good scrubbing. The stems were kinda gunked so it's possible I've at least prevented sticking valves. Was quoted 750 for this job at a local shop. My cost, 32 bucks with new gaskets. Winning.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      08-22-2020, 09:03 AM   #7
bandook
Private
Rep

Downpipe install done! Pretty easy install. Was worried I'd have issues since I didn't order new v clamps, but there just isn't any rust on this car so everything came off and went on smoothly. New coils in and plugs gapped to .020. Car is running great! Can now run Map 2 and logs look super clean. Feel like it could be hitting a little more boost. Trying to figure out FF, wgdc, and PID logic on the JB4. Car has a little fish bite misfire on cold start. Only lasts about 10 seconds. Think I'm gonna try to clean VANOS solenoids and see if that makes it better.

Other than that I'm pretty good for now. On the lookout for a FMIC. Trying to find a good deal on a used one. Debating on whether I should pull my meth injection kit off my other car and install it. But it's an AEM progressive with boost reference. No real failsafe on it except for a relay I wired in the Impala to pull timing in the tune if the controller ever fail-safes. Probably just gonna start by going 30-40% e85.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      08-22-2020, 08:09 PM   #8
bandook
Private
Rep

Had a scary moment. Drove the car for about an hour today, not hard it except for a couple stabs on the highway. Ran into a store, 5 minutes later started the car up and was in limp mode. Had all these codes. Worst part was a loud siren/tea kettle noise coming from the engine. Limped the car home and researched the noise. Well, that's not a happy Google search...there are many that have found this noise only to have their turbo crap out and need replaced.

However I also noticed that the JB4 wasn't logging right. Only one or two pids were populated. So I suspected either the Jb4 board crapped out or I had a bad ground. Thankfully it was the latter. Install instructions that I found said to ground to the strut tower bolt. Well, that's a crappy ground according to my DMM. Didn't help that the terminal on the ground wire was pretty worn. A much better ground is the negative jump-start lug behind the passenger headlight. Just wanted to detail this for anyone else searching for the cause of the issue. Because the JB4 intercepts the signal for the map sensors, if the ground fails on the JB4 all the sensors will flake out. In my case it caused the DME to shut the wastegate and send full boost at idle, I think?. The noise must have been the excess air leaking through a gasket or seal. With my scanner I was seeing 20psi at idle. Weird.

Anyways, ground fixed and car is rippin' again!

BTW, anyone know where this part goes, lol. Gotta be intake mount or something but I can't remember where I took it off.
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
perezr10140.50
      09-05-2020, 11:13 AM   #9
bandook
Private
Rep

After replacing all 4 tires with ps4s, still had road noise. Turns out it was a wheel bearing, drivers rear. Can't say it was the funnest repair, but rewarding. A tip if anyone decides to do their own, you can weld the outer race out of the knuckle. Basically run a couple beads around the inside circumference of the race and tap it out. After that I pressed it back in with a 3/4" piece of all thread and some thick steel used as a washer to press the bearing from the outer race. Car is now whisper quiet 😎
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      09-06-2020, 11:02 AM   #10
bandook
Private
Rep

Had the strange noise come back with a bunch of map/tmap codes. Was about to pull off the Jb4 and flash MHD when I figured I'll give it one more chance and check over all my connections. Power wire connection was a little iffy so I redid that. All other connections looked fine, no green buggers. So I looked at the Jb4. Should have done this when I first got it . A ground trace was blown out. Still had continuity but it's a leg on the mosfet so I'm guessing it was severely current limited. So fixed that, buttoned everything up and now map 5 is actually tuning...upwards of 17+ psi

Only drove it maybe 10 minutes and think it still needs learning time cause it's maxing trims at the beginning of the pull where I'm seeing 20psi. Btw, I'm running around E21 right now. Wanna take it up higher but I'm still learning how these cars with Jb4 tune fuel. Think I just bump FOL? More testing to come. Feels great though! Actually broke my ps4s loose at 55mph. First time that's happened. Just need to richen it up.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      09-08-2020, 08:30 PM   #11
bandook
Private
Rep

Diff fluid at 93k miles.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      09-10-2020, 07:19 PM   #12
perezr10
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2013 335i Sedan

Wow, you've done a lot for your first 30 days. Your car is progressing nicely.
Appreciate 0
      09-12-2020, 07:00 PM   #13
bandook
Private
Rep

Thanks, perezr10! I've gotten everything settled in now. Mechanically it's in pretty good shape. Have a slight clunk in front driver wheel that I'm pretty sure is an end link. I was really expecting a lot more work buying a used 335 lol. So today I finished up the exterior. Cut with Sonax 6/4, polished with Sonax Perfect Finish 4/6. Then applied Profiline 36 Ceramic. I'm not a pro by any means but I'm happy with the results! Took total maybe 6-7 hrs over a few days. Only thing I don't like about doing this on a new car is you then become aware of every little defect you never noticed before .

Also installed new twin slat kidney grill. I'm actually not sure I like them more than stock. Just got them because they were cheap on ebay. Not really many design choices. Maybe because BMW did it right.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      09-30-2020, 08:27 PM   #14
bandook
Private
Rep

Installed a walbro 450 today. So I was going to just get one from Fuel-it but they were out of stock canisters to swap so I just bought the pump and swapped it myself. Really not much info you to be had on doing this diy style so I was worried that bmw was gonna make it overly complicated. Not much harder than my Chevy. One tip is don't be a dummy like me and spend 15 minutes trying to pull the fuel line off the bottom of the canister. You simply twist and pull the whole nozzle off. Also, I've heard of needing to split the plastic sleeve to get the bigger Walbro to fit. I was able to just Dremel sand the whole sleeve to make it thinner and got a nice tight fit. Not using any clamps. Also reused the stock fuel line, just had to heat it up a little to slip it on the pump. Added a clamp and it's a tight fit.

My stock pump was making a ticking noise after I drove awhile. Was gonna wait to do the pump till I did a turbo but I'd rather be safe than sorry. Seemed like the pump started ticking right after I started adding E85.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      10-03-2020, 01:01 PM   #15
bandook
Private
Rep

While I was doing the pump I was thinking about the EKPS. This thing gets smokin' hot at times. Seen that some were modding them for better cooling so I figured why not. These things are fairly cheap on Ebay so I wasn't too worried about messing anything up. Added a heatsink and fan after drilling some holes in the housing. Power is sourced from the fuel pump control wires. You will need to trim some of the foam from the back of the cover. Probably a good idea to add a fan guard because I can stall the fan of I push hard enough on the panel. Used a Noctura fan and it's whisper quiet but moves a good amount of air. Can just hear it when you put your ear to the seat which is good because you know you didn't block it!
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      10-10-2020, 02:21 PM   #16
bandook
Private
Rep

First car I've ever put wheel spacers on. I think it makes a big difference! First I went with 10mm front and 12.5mm rear. Rear wheels just needed a little more so I swapped with 15mm. BTW, these are from Renn Motorsports on amazon. About 100 for all 4. Perfect fit and zero vibration. I think rear could use just a little more but that's as far as I want to take them for durability reasons. 3 of the wheels had been curbed so I'm fixing those. Just need to fix one more. Eventually want to lower the car but haven't made up my mind if I'll do springs or coilovers.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      01-19-2021, 10:35 PM   #17
bandook
Private
Rep

Got a great deal on a low mile PS2, so this will be my early spring project. Just need to figure out my fueling. I'm thinking stay with just meth and an e30 mix for now and get a custom tune. Then dyno and get a better idea of the direction I need to go.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0