F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Navigation, iDrive, Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Phone, Cameras, Electronics > Joyeauto Apple Carplay Retrofit
proTUNING Freaks

07-01-2019, 11:00 AM   #23
CleanKM
SQUEAKY
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 328d

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris_ks View Post
Something more, except the important location of mic, where did you place the wifi antenna for best signal?
P.s. CleanKM thanks for your helpful answers..
Quote:
Originally Posted by born2lose View Post
hey CleanKM - since you've offered to help, can you please show me where you've routed the mic? and also - this unit has it's own usb cable, right? where did you mount that?

I've seen some youtube clips where they mount the usb by the driver's or passenger's knee, I really don't feel comfortable with that setup.
No problem, just next time use the @ function so that I get an alert that you mentioned me.

The microphone is routed right above the rear view mirror. It goes through back of the glove box, up the A Piller, then across. Had to make a small cut with xaxto knife so the clip can clip onto something. I had it going to the drivers A Piller, but it looked like shit.

The USB is routed to passenger side center console, with a USB extension looping around to my seat belt buckle. Why? I had the extension left over from my AVIN days. It gets tucked in and you don't see it. I've never used the USB, that's the whole reason got wireless. : The charge for phone is 1amp and I have a 2.4amp plug that I plug it into when I need power.

The antenna is in the trim piece where the LED light is for the cup holders. Didn't stick it, just layed it in. Never had a problem.
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
      09-13-2019, 04:06 PM   #24
Chris_ks
Private
Rep
Drives: F20 lci

I removed BimmerTech CarPlay, it had a lot of problems and no reason to stay in car and i have already received Joyeauto wireless CarPlay..
I will probably fit it next week and give my feedback..
Appreciate 2
hlrzr19.50
      09-21-2019, 08:13 AM   #25
Chris_ks
Private
Rep

I installed CarPlay, it works normally but instead of rear view camera and pdc, I have black screen.. any ideas ?
Appreciate 0
      09-22-2019, 07:01 PM   #26
Kraftwerk AG
Major
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Mein F Fünfundachtzig Einhorn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris_ks View Post
I installed CarPlay, it works normally but instead of rear view camera and pdc, I have black screen.. any ideas ?
Go into the CarPlay UI settings and turn OFF all aftermarket cameras, TV, HDMI. etc
Appreciate 0
      09-25-2019, 02:38 AM   #27
Chris_ks
Private
Rep

Why turn everything off? To make it clear i have factory pdc sensors and after market camera, if I use dip switch 8 to off(after market camera position) i have black screen..
If i use dip switch 8 to On then i just have my factory pdc working..
I just left it this way until any update as Joyeauto said me..

I also made just a test and used a factory 6.5” screen instead of my 8.8” with same CarPlay set up i have normally camera view..
Appreciate 0
      10-31-2019, 10:13 PM   #28
BimmerMan1470
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2012 BMW 328i (F30)

JoyeAuto Incompatability

Hi everyone, been a long time lurker on these forums and have found a lot of help from various posts that I was able to find, but finally came across an issue that I cannot figure out.

I have a 2012 F30 with CIC and an 8.8" display. I ordered a JoyEAuto CarPlay retrofit kit from Aliexpress, with confirmation from the seller that the kit will fit my car. Well, when the kit arrived and I tried to fit it to the car, I got constant NO SIGNAL errors on the screen even though I checked all the connections multiple times. Upon contacting JoyEAuto, we went back and forth through WatsApp, the support rep has told me to remove the screen and check the plug on the back. It turned out to be a 6 pin LVDS (4+2 power), while the LVDS coming out of my CIC is only 4 pin. (It looks like the other 2 power pins also connect the the back of the CIC but in a different location. In the end, Joyeauto said that the kit would not be compatible with my car because I have a CIC car and "the screen is NBT" according to them. And that was that.

Im wondering if its possible to still fit this CarPlay box to the car somehow. The only difference is that the box outputs a 4 pin LVDS signal to the screen and the screen accepts 6 pins (4+2 for power). Im thinking maybe a cable exists that would allow me to plug it in and make it work? Thanks in advance
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2019, 07:39 PM   #29
mastrchee
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: i4 M50

Quote:
Originally Posted by BimmerMan1470 View Post
Hi everyone, been a long time lurker on these forums and have found a lot of help from various posts that I was able to find, but finally came across an issue that I cannot figure out.

I have a 2012 F30 with CIC and an 8.8" display. I ordered a JoyEAuto CarPlay retrofit kit from Aliexpress, with confirmation from the seller that the kit will fit my car. Well, when the kit arrived and I tried to fit it to the car, I got constant NO SIGNAL errors on the screen even though I checked all the connections multiple times. Upon contacting JoyEAuto, we went back and forth through WatsApp, the support rep has told me to remove the screen and check the plug on the back. It turned out to be a 6 pin LVDS (4+2 power), while the LVDS coming out of my CIC is only 4 pin. (It looks like the other 2 power pins also connect the the back of the CIC but in a different location. In the end, Joyeauto said that the kit would not be compatible with my car because I have a CIC car and "the screen is NBT" according to them. And that was that.

Im wondering if its possible to still fit this CarPlay box to the car somehow. The only difference is that the box outputs a 4 pin LVDS signal to the screen and the screen accepts 6 pins (4+2 for power). Im thinking maybe a cable exists that would allow me to plug it in and make it work? Thanks in advance
Where are you based?
Appreciate 0
      11-08-2019, 10:32 AM   #30
lemonchicken
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 328i blue

Quote:

I have a 2012 F30 with CIC and an 8.8" display. ----
In the end, Joyeauto said that the kit would not be compatible with my car because I have a CIC car and "the screen is NBT" according to them. And that was that.

For some reason, this configuration really confuses the china aftermarket companies. I had the hardest time convincing unichip that my 12/2012 build was cic. they insisted it was nbt, proceeded to send me the wrong harness and of course I had to send more pictures. it ended up ok, but they basically thought I had switched the display from an nbt car onto my cic car. maybe this was only a US market offering?? who knows?

anyway, my wired unichip still works fine, but I'm unable to figure out which, if any vendors have reliable, reasonable wireless update. I will say though, CarPlay in general saved me from getting rid of my "ancient" 2013 f30.
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2019, 06:43 AM   #31
Metafan
Rep
Drives: X3 F25

I have the unit for two days now. The only problem i have is i can hear the music from AUX but not calls. I have an iphone and made sure carplay is choosen in sound outpout.
Have i missed something?
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2020, 06:24 PM   #32
yoon_209
Masterchief
United_States
Rep
Drives: 20' BMW M340i

Quote:
Originally Posted by lemonchicken View Post
For some reason, this configuration really confuses the china aftermarket companies. I had the hardest time convincing unichip that my 12/2012 build was cic. they insisted it was nbt, proceeded to send me the wrong harness and of course I had to send more pictures. it ended up ok, but they basically thought I had switched the display from an nbt car onto my cic car. maybe this was only a US market offering?? who knows?

anyway, my wired unichip still works fine, but I'm unable to figure out which, if any vendors have reliable, reasonable wireless update. I will say though, CarPlay in general saved me from getting rid of my "ancient" 2013 f30.
can you send the link of the MMI you bought?

I have 2013 CIC and want android auto for my car.
      01-14-2020, 08:27 PM   #33
lemonchicken
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by yoon_209 View Post

https://www.unichip-tec.com/
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2020, 02:37 PM   #34
yoon_209
Masterchief
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

https://www.unichip-tec.com/
Are you happy with your setup? Did you have the same issues with as bimmerman with the screen LVDS plug?
      01-16-2020, 08:21 PM   #35
lemonchicken
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Are you happy with your setup? Did you have the same issues with as bimmerman with the screen LVDS plug?
Unichip ended up sending me a second harness but not because of the lvds connector, they sent me another cable because of the aux cable was wrong. Also because my cic had the combox in the back of the car. But as I said before, unichip is now well aware of the late 2012 “cic unit but with NBT screen”. You just need to be VERY clear with them. I think I’ve had mine in for over a year now and honestly saved me from buying a new car. I am bummed that all of the new wireless solutions are NBT only it seems. I was ready to install a new one with wireless carplay but they all seem to be NBT only. Also, I’m fairly certain that the external mic is actually better sounding than the factory installed one and is very easy to wire.

Last edited by lemonchicken; 01-16-2020 at 08:22 PM.. Reason: External mic
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2020, 10:20 AM   #36
yoon_209
Masterchief
United_States
Rep

Quote:

Quote:
Unichip ended up sending me a second harness but not because of the lvds connector, they sent me another cable because of the aux cable was wrong. Also because my cic had the combox in the back of the car. But as I said before, unichip is now well aware of the late 2012 “cic unit but with NBT screen”. You just need to be VERY clear with them. I think I’ve had mine in for over a year now and honestly saved me from buying a new car. I am bummed that all of the new wireless solutions are NBT only it seems. I was ready to install a new one with wireless carplay but they all seem to be NBT only. Also, I’m fairly certain that the external mic is actually better sounding than the factory installed one and is very easy to wire.
ya it would be nice to upgrade the headunit of the car, upgrading to NBT ID6 seems way to expensive and complicated vs this route.

thats so odd our cars have a CIC unit and NBT screen.
      03-26-2020, 03:02 PM   #37
Jorgeelizondom
Registered
Mexico
Rep
Drives: 2009 335ci

Quote:
Hi guys,
I have a 2013 E89 with manufacturing date of 11/2012. How can I be sure what kind of setup I have? Is it a CIC unit with NBT screen? After sharing my VIN with Joyeauto, they insists I have CIC, but they seem too eager to make a sale, so I am hesitant to trust them, specially after reading these last posts of yours about the Chinese getting this mixed up.

There is no evident info (at least no evident to me) from the VIN decoders on what HU and display I have on my E89. For example, VIN info from my F15 clearly says "NBTevo iDrive5 (ID5)", but nothing similar from my E89 VIN info.

Can you guys point me where to look?

Much appreciated
Appreciate 0
      03-28-2020, 09:17 AM   #38
mineral_f30
Private
Canada
Rep
Drives: '13 335i, '18 X3 M40i

Quote:

BimmerMan1470 Did you ever get this working?

I also have an early build F30 (07/2012) with CIC and an 8.8" NBT display. Does JoyEAuto make a box that works with CIC and uses a 6-pin harness?

I've been communicating with Support from JoyEAuto through Whatsapp and I asked him if the CIC unit will work with my 8.8" screen and he said yes.

Last edited by mineral_f30; 03-28-2020 at 09:45 AM..
Appreciate 0
      03-05-2021, 05:01 AM   #39
vichet168
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW i3

JoyeAuto issue with Android 11

Hi all. I have Joyeauto for my i3 for some time and it mostly works with wireless AA till I updated my phone (S20 Ultra) to Android 11. After the update, it no longer connects to my phone - no matter what I have done. I have downgraded the AA app to different versions, trying to delete the connection and reconnect again, trying using USB connection, etc., it just does not connect. I got the connection prompt 2 times after connecting Bluetooth, but seems like it does not connect automatically to WiFi. If I connect via USB cable, it connects for few seconds and then the screen turn black.

My Joyauto firmware version is the latest one - Aug 2020. Trying with their support does not help as they simply asked me to use with other phone.

I noted UAD has updated firmware on 21 Jan 21 which seems to address AA connection issue (at least from update note), but I am not able to download it.

Anyone has lasted UAD firmware (Jan 21) that you can share with me so that I can test it with JoyeAuto device? These two devices look identical.
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2023, 06:09 AM   #40
maximus81
Private
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW 320D M-Sport (F30)

I have got joyeauto system from last 2 years and it works ok. The only criticism I got is that when in the carplay mode, from reverse gear I go in drive, there is no delay in switching camera to carplay mode. I would prefer having a 5 sec delay after switching gear from reverse to drive so I can see the reverse camera as it happens in idrive.
Appreciate 0