F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Navigation, iDrive, Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Phone, Cameras, Electronics > Arthur's Audio Upgrade Project (with several diversions)
GetBMWParts

09-16-2019, 01:44 AM   #1
Arthurrs
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2017 430i xdrive Gran Coupe

Arthur's Audio Upgrade Project (with several diversions)

Just thought I'd share my summer "spare time" project that has been ongoing for a while, upgrading my hifi audio to something that will put a smile on my face during my regular commutes to Toronto (despite the sucky traffic). Well it started a couple years ago with the acquisition of the various parts and pieces over time, beginning with the Bimmertech/Match DSP amplifier that I got back in 2016 that whet my appetite for more. As projects like this go, it snowballs into side projects that you always wanted to do, and can now justify the time/effort to do it. You have the car's interior disassembled, so why not add that additional power outlet that BMW didn't include with your car's configuration??

Several goals I had in mind:
1. Improvement in the quality of sound beyond the existing hifi system I had. Better low end response and fidelity. Replacing the amp with the Bimmertech/Match PP 86DSP processing amplifier is *the* best bang for the buck improvement you can make to the existing speaker system. I decided to replace the door speakers as well, the factory speakers were a bit worse for wear from the previous owner of my car.
2. Improved bass output and extension. The hifi speaker system is lacking in this regard, even with the dsp amp upgrade. You really need a separate trunk subwoofer & amp. There is only so much you can expect from the 4" woofers in the doors, and the 8" shallow floor subwoofers.
3. Ability to select different sound presets optimized for different kinds of music from classical music to heavy metal. I make a living as an audio professional, my specialty is sound system optimization for professional audio systems, from million dollar executive boardrooms, to huge houses of worship, to sports stadiums, concerts, broadcast/recording studios, and just about everything in between. Yep I'm an audio geek with a lot of tools to do this kind of work.
4. Solve the lack of power output capability of the car's USB port (limited to 500 mA because back in 2013/2014 model high current charging was not a popular option with smartphones). At the same time extend the armrest USB connection to the front driver's side A pillar where I have my iPhone for waze navigation and music playback.
5. Take up as little trunk space as possible, I actually use the lower storage cubby for some basic car maintenance tools & jack kit. My trunk subwoofer needs to be easily removable if the space is needed. I want my sub power amp to sit on a hinged shelf for proper cooling and convenient access right next to my dashcam battery.

A few distractions/diversions along the way:
1. Add a 12VDC power outlet under my glovebox and behind the armrest in the back seat, because I had all the stuff torn apart to make this a no-brainer upgrade. Also added a 12VDC outlet in the trunk behind the subwoofer.
2. Add a fuseblock in the trunk for my upgrades, connected directly to my battery with a 40A fuse in between.
3. Add a trailer hitch to my car (always wanted one for a bike rack, and to hitch a trailer to help move my son to Virginia this past summer, he partially funded it and lent me a hand installing it).
4. Add speed limit info emulator.
5. Add driver's side glovebox.
6. Add european rear foglight switch option.
7. Add external battery shelf for my dashcam.
8. Add lumbar option to driver's seat (still in progress).

Equipment purchased so far:
1. Bimmertech/Match PP86DSP with BMW harness and mounting plate.
2. Audiotec Fischer Director touchscreen remote for above Match Amplifier
3. Morel Hybrid 402 component speaker system for front doors only
4. Earthquake Sound SWS-8Xi 2 Ohm floor subs
5. Visual Ice BMW 3 Series Stealth Sub Speaker Enclosure for 10" driver
6. JL Audio 10W3v3-2 10" Subwoofer Driver with grille cover
7. JL Audio XD300/1v2 Monoblock Subwoofer Amplifier
8. JL Audio HD-RLC Amp Remote Level Control
9. Blue Sea Systems ST Blade Fuse block 4 circuit with cover
10. KnuKonceptz Bassik 8 Gauge Complete Amplifier Install Wiring Kit
11. Leadzoe 16.4 ft USB 3.0 Extension Cable with 5V/2A power adapter
12. DROK 90600 DC Buck Volt Converter 12 V to 5 V 3A
13. Dynamat 10435 Door kit
14. Custom mounts designed and built by a neighbor who has a machine shop in his garage!
Misc wire, connectors, ferrules, heat shrink, braided sleeving.

Here's a few pictures to start with. I'll be adding to this thread over the coming weeks when I have a spare moment with pertinent info that hopefully you'll find helpful. I still need to set up the DSP, I will be setting up my analysis equipment this week to tune the system, but in the raw, uneq'd state, I hear a lot of potential with the system as currently configured. I'll do my best to keep the thread timely, but I'm coming on a very busy season with work, so most of what I do is on the weekends, or a spare hour or two each evening, and of course I want to get this project finally done before winter comes! I hate working outside in the cold!

Name:  IMG_1515 (1).jpg
Views: 441
Size:  273.3 KB

Name:  IMG_1409.jpg
Views: 437
Size:  169.7 KB

Name:  IMG_1554.jpg
Views: 433
Size:  261.9 KB

Name:  IMG_1568.jpg
Views: 430
Size:  163.0 KB

Name:  IMG_1543.jpg
Views: 433
Size:  239.7 KB

Name:  IMG_1524.jpg
Views: 429
Size:  297.7 KB
      09-16-2019, 03:30 PM   #2
Arthurrs
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Details on Amplifier Mount...

I went to my local metal supplier, and got a piece of 1/4" thick aluminum plate. I had my neighbor fabricate a hinged mount for my amplifier. Requirements were simple: I needed a 1" airspace above the amp for cooling, and keep the top plate as small as reasonable to mount it to the underside of the rear deck in the trunk, provide a shelf on each of the 3 sides for wiring management, and make it hinged so that I have easy access to the controls and for wiring installation. The shelf is held in place with riv nuts installed into the rear deck.

Name:  Amp Shelf Unmounted.jpg
Views: 374
Size:  242.5 KB

Name:  Amp Shelf Mounted.jpg
Views: 370
Size:  187.8 KB

Name:  Amp Rivnuts.jpg
Views: 371
Size:  123.7 KB

I really like how it functions, and how neat I can keep the wiring. I had my neighbor fabricate a similar fixed shelf for my dashcam expansion battery to match (before that, I had bent some aluminum brackets to hold it in place, that didn't look as great). He did a fantastic job, as usual. In retrospect, I should have moved the amp shelf a bit closer to the dashcam battery because I ran out of space for my retractable bag hook on the left side, had to turn it 90 degrees to fit! Oh well!

Name:  Amp wired.jpg
Views: 373
Size:  196.0 KB

Name:  Amp Shelf Lowered.jpg
Views: 362
Size:  239.7 KB

Name:  Amp shelf and battery shelf.jpg
Views: 361
Size:  180.8 KB

I also added a small remote switch box so that I can disable the amp remote line for when I remove my subwoofer from the trunk. It hides well in the cubby with the bimmertech/match amplifier, along with the speaker cable for the subwoofer.

Name:  Sub Amp Bypass Switch 1.jpg
Views: 362
Size:  325.6 KB

Name:  Sub Amp Bypass Switch 2.jpg
Views: 367
Size:  324.4 KB
      09-16-2019, 03:32 PM   #3
Arthurrs
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Placeholder Power Outlets, high power USB extension, Fuse block, coming soon!
      09-16-2019, 03:34 PM   #4
Arthurrs
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Placeholder audio remote installation
      09-16-2019, 03:35 PM   #5
Arthurrs
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Placeholder front door speakers and floor sub, wiring routing
      02-08-2020, 12:59 PM   #6
eleven11
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: -F85 X5M-

Any updates? This was a nice write-up that didn't get enough attention.
2011 135i Coupe - Retired
2007 335i Sedan - Retired
Appreciate 0