F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Mechanical Maintenance and TSBs: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing / TSBs and Service Bulletin > Strange Griding Noise on Deceleration, any ideas?
Studio RSR

05-10-2021, 08:20 AM   #1
BWD
Rep
Drives: BMW 318i F30

Lightbulb Strange Griding Noise on Deceleration, any ideas?

I've noticed my 318i makes a weird grinding sort of noise when decelerating, almost like a bike chain when you're not pedalling?

It does not make the noise when stationary in neutral, however, if the car is slightly rolling and I rev in neutral, the noise appears when the revs start dropping.

It doesn't make any noise under acceleration, only when the revs begin to drop, even if the clutch is depressed, the noise will continue.

Any ideas?

I've not noticed any performance issues, it is just a really ugly noise!
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2021, 11:20 AM   #2
speedbirdblack
Private
Sri Lanka
Rep
Drives: f30 M-Sport

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by BWD View Post
I've noticed my 318i makes a weird grinding sort of noise when decelerating, almost like a bike chain when you're not pedalling?

It does not make the noise when stationary in neutral, however, if the car is slightly rolling and I rev in neutral, the noise appears when the revs start dropping.

It doesn't make any noise under acceleration, only when the revs begin to drop, even if the clutch is depressed, the noise will continue.

Any ideas?

I've not noticed any performance issues, it is just a really ugly noise!
how much mills on the clock? could be timing chain.
if you have strange rattelling noise for initial 10 sec on cold start, most probably it.
      05-17-2021, 06:11 AM   #3
BWD
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedbirdblack View Post
how much mills on the clock? could be timing chain.
if you have strange rattelling noise for initial 10 sec on cold start, most probably it.
It's got 59k on the clock and there is no rattle on a cold start! Might just take it in to a mechanic and see what they say.
Appreciate 0
      07-10-2022, 07:32 AM   #4
BWD
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BWD View Post
It's got 59k on the clock and there is no rattle on a cold start! Might just take it in to a mechanic and see what they say.
I have the exact same problem, roughly same mileage, described to a tee! Did you end up going to the garage?

I have a feeling it may be the timing chain

Could you let me know if they diagnosed yours?
Appreciate 0