F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > Regional Forums > UK > UK - Off Topic > Training and exercise thread
Extreme Powerhouse

04-18-2021, 03:25 PM   #177
KRS_SN
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: IX,G07

Garage List
2020 X7  [10.00]
X5  [8.50]
IX  [8.00]
a small triumph sugar ran out so had coffee black no sugar for the first time. Enjoyed it. Usually have 5-6 cups of coffee per day with 2 spoons sugar each. Inadvertently I think I have discovered the joy of drinking coffee without sugar so that's nearly 4000 spoons less of sugar per year from now on hopefully.
Appreciate 1
      04-24-2021, 01:41 AM   #178
gangzoom
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: E90 335i M sport

For reasons am not sure about, yesterday I thought I would try some exercise that wasn't cycling....

Things I was reminded of.

1: I hate running
2: I'm really slow at running
3: I hate running
4: How did I ever manage a half marathon a few years back
5: I hate running

Thats the last time I try running for another few years.....Back to the bike(s) .

Appreciate 0
      04-26-2021, 05:36 AM   #179
Blacktemplar
Brigadier General
Ukraine
Rep
Drives: X3 M40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by gangzoom View Post
For reasons am not sure about, yesterday I thought I would try some exercise that wasn't cycling....

Thats the last time I try running for another few years.....Back to the bike(s) .
Good man, right decision. Have you ever seen a happy runner? No. Just think of the damage it's doing to your knees, hips & back.....

I used to run a lot in my teens (did a couple of marathons) but couldn't run for a bus now without damaging something cartilage-related. And can't imagine why I would want to - for reasons 1,2,3& 5 above
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2021, 07:14 AM   #180
Ennoch
Colonel
Rep
Drives: F31 335D XDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by gangzoom View Post

I hate running, I hate running, I hate running, I love running. I'm not sure what caused the switch but I suspect it had something to sorting my pacing and cadence and posture which meant it became less of a chore and a lot more enjoyable. It's also been great for my riding fitness as although my legs are seriously lacking torque, my lungs are absolutely fine for 50km days on the big bike.
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2021, 02:23 PM   #181
KRS_SN
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: IX,G07

Garage List
2020 X7  [10.00]
X5  [8.50]
IX  [8.00]
badminton is back on!
first time I played in nearly a year.
So very sore all over even laughing is so painful
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
robbiep1969.00
      05-25-2021, 05:15 PM   #182
Ennoch
Colonel
Rep

So I had a weekend away this weekend to see a mate who I've not seen much of in a few years for various reasons, not least my ex didn't really like me doing things with other girls. I hadn't even really clocked it at the time, just that I was always led into doing something else instead. Anyway, my mate and I have had some incredible days in the mountains together over the years and so I couldn't have asked for a better partner to get out climbing with for the first time in a while, and of course it was great to catch up. She's based in the north west (well not really, but it's a close enough description if you're south of Hadrian's Wall!) so we decided to chase the weather and ended up on the most westerly point of the British mainland to go climbing in the sun while everywhere around rained. Considering how much climbing I used to do, it was quite a shock to realise that I could probably count on the fingers of one hand how many times I've climbed on rock with gear since I last climbed at this crag with my now ex nearly two years ago. How time flies. It was interesting too that my head, despite having not even climbed indoors since before Christmas, was much better than it was when I was last there. I still didn't feel like leading anything hard but luckily my mate was there to pick up the task of being rope gun and so we got some really nice routes done, and it was lovely to find flow on rock again. The climbing technicality isn't really my issue at the moment even while being unfit, it's just the head game of trying to wind myself back and not get scared or fearful of the big 'ifs' and 'what might happens'. I'm getting better at quelling those negative thoughts but it's taking time, as well you might expect.

Anyway, some pics of climbing in the sun (not my arse incidentally, hers is much more photogenic than mine). Incidentally the rock is basalt and forms one of the crags surrounding an old caldera near Ardnamurchan point. Sunday was grim, so it was a standard hill day ticking off some munros from her list, something that I have little interest in but with visibility somewhere in the ping pong ball range it didn't really make much of a difference. And it was nice to be out in the hills again after so many months of not really having proper freedom. It was a fairly normal 1200m ascent/19km day which seems a remarkably common distance and height when it comes to ticking off hills...

Appreciate 2
robbiep1969.00
F20MAW73874.50
      06-13-2021, 03:55 PM   #183
Ennoch
Colonel
Rep

Few pics from climbing locally yesterday. No pictures from the first 'warmup' route as it turned out to be a disgusting, poorly protected, awkward choss pile with loose blocks and just lots of general unpleasantness. The three pics below are from the other routes which turned out to be superb in their own ways. Camping was nice as it was the first nights I've had in a tent since last year, a good friend to drink with while watching the sun vaguely go down and some nice climbing that felt chilled enough (first route aside) to help re-enforce the positive climbing vibes I'm feeling right now. I've got a few vague aims of things to climb by the end of the summer and they involve me not being shit scared on anything steep, or on lead! This stuff below was all on Gneiss, an igneous rock that's just lovely to climb on and generally has good friction and integrity while also giving some good protection. Also saw a sea eagle that flew overhead about 30ft above us. With an 8ft wingspan it was bloody huge!

Anthrax Flake, so called because it looks across to Gruinard Island where they trialled Anthrax during WWII.
[/url]

Charlie's Corner, a lovely route. Not hard, but lots of sustained and consistent climbing that's a joy.
[/url]

And this one, Starwood, a loose choss pile but unlike the first route was a delight to climb, with not a creaky block in sight, just some rather large gaps through which you could see daylight! Oh, and an in-situ Aspen in the groove at the start that is only going to get more awkward in time as it gets bigger. Slightly overhanging at the top, my arms definitely took a bit of abuse here as I've done no arm training in the last 15 months, and bugger all climbing!
[/url]
Appreciate 4
Rbrown2758.00
Nibbles851.50
robbiep1969.00
      06-14-2021, 12:40 AM   #184
robbiep
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: VW e-Golf !

Very nice.

We were up in Perthshire for a few days last week - rented a lovely place 2 miles outside Kinross. Quite an active break, we rented MTBs from Loch Leven cycling one day and did just under 40 miles, a couple of decent walks, and on another day we parked by the Kelpies and ran to the Falkirk wheel and back (both really stunning).
Most evenings we walked down to Kinross for dinner and a couple of beers

Weather was lovely, was in shorts for the entire break.
Appreciate 1
Ennoch2215.00
      06-14-2021, 09:54 AM   #185
Ennoch
Colonel
Rep

That sounds like a good get away for you guys, Perthshire is a lovely place and has so many different characters depending on where you are in it.

One of the advantages of being in the north west at the moment is the ability to get out and do cool things after work during the week, or at least you can when the weather isn't howling. Last Tuesday evening I made sure to finish sharp from work and got out for a bit of a trail run/scramble along the An Teallach pinnacles. I got some strange looks from a couple when they asked at 6pm when I was getting my shoes on in the lay-by if I'd had a good day and replied 'I haven't gone yet!'. Oops. Apparently they'd started at 8am and they'd only just got back!

1500m, 4hrs car to car with 3hrs moving time, and very sore legs from running down the quartzite blocks of Sail Liath at the end, and the sprint along the road to try to get back to the car in under 4hrs. I failed by 55 seconds. My legs hurt until yesterday! Average HR of 151 over the 4hrs

View from the first col, looking north west back towards the house:

Normally you do the route clockwise but I prefer it, aside from the bad step on the ridge, to be done anti clockwise. This is a view of what was to come

Looking back along the ridge
Appreciate 1
robbiep1969.00
      06-14-2021, 10:22 AM   #186
robbiep
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: VW e-Golf !

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ennoch View Post
That sounds like a good get away for you guys, Perthshire is a lovely place and has so many different characters depending on where you are in it.

One of the advantages of being in the north west at the moment is the ability to get out and do cool things after work during the week, or at least you can when the weather isn't howling. Last Tuesday evening I made sure to finish sharp from work and got out for a bit of a trail run/scramble along the An Teallach pinnacles. I got some strange looks from a couple when they asked at 6pm when I was getting my shoes on in the lay-by if I'd had a good day and replied 'I haven't gone yet!'. Oops. Apparently they'd started at 8am and they'd only just got back!

1500m, 4hrs car to car with 3hrs moving time, and very sore legs from running down the quartzite blocks of Sail Liath at the end, and the sprint along the road to try to get back to the car in under 4hrs. I failed by 55 seconds. My legs hurt until yesterday! Average HR of 151 over the 4hrs
]
Ahh, the advantages of northern Scotland at this time of year. 'Night' barely exists.

Winter is another matter, of course
Appreciate 0
      06-14-2021, 10:51 AM   #187
XAlp
Major
Rep
Drives: Volvo XC90 T6

You climbers are MAAAAAAD. Wow. Or at least relative to the way my brain works - we "climbed" (no doubt walked up is more accurate) Base Brown - Green Gable - Great Gable in half term, and thankfully it was completley clouded over ( ! ) the whole time so I could hardly see a single edge. Mind you there was a sheep path early on which narrowed to maybe 20cm and I had to force myself to walk it rather than crouch and grab at the grass on the hillside for security! The kids did the Via Ferrata nearby one day and loved it - that day was Keswick Golf Club for me!
2018 Volvo XC90 T6 Inscription Pro
2003 Honda S2000
Appreciate 0
      06-15-2021, 01:03 PM   #188
Ennoch
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by XAlp View Post
You climbers are MAAAAAAD. Wow. Or at least relative to the way my brain works - we "climbed" (no doubt walked up is more accurate) Base Brown - Green Gable - Great Gable in half term, and thankfully it was completley clouded over ( ! ) the whole time so I could hardly see a single edge. Mind you there was a sheep path early on which narrowed to maybe 20cm and I had to force myself to walk it rather than crouch and grab at the grass on the hillside for security! The kids did the Via Ferrata nearby one day and loved it - that day was Keswick Golf Club for me!
Ha, I'm not going to argue with that. It's all relative to what you're used to I guess, and whether you have a fear of heights! I have a respect for heights but not necessarily a fear, albeit if it's there it's there a lot more than it used to be! I still find scrambling on loose rocky ridges like An Teallach a lot more trepidous than four points of contact like the actual climbing we were doing with ropes in the photos above. My dad's like you though, despite being in the hills a lot, and just can't deal with that sort of exposure. Still, good on you getting up there and enjoying it! Via ferrata is good fun if you can trust yourself and the system but I can see why you went for the golf option We did a few in the Dolomites a few years ago which were good fun when the weather was too poor to climb proper stuff but some of them get sketchier than some of the climbs we've done.

Actually, Keswick, was that the VF at Honister your kids did?
Appreciate 0
      06-15-2021, 04:38 PM   #189
XAlp
Major
Rep
Drives: Volvo XC90 T6

Yes the Honister one, at a slate mine I believe.
I could go on my belly to the edge of the highest cliff and look down, but I would find it difficult to stand closer than maybe 1m away! I would also feel sick seeing someone stand closer! Strange how the brain works - and it’s got massively worse with age.
Appreciate 0