F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > Regional Forums > UK > UK - Off Topic > If you could live anywhere in the UK, where would it be?
proTUNING Freaks

06-09-2021, 10:38 AM   #45
isleaiw1
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: iPace / Mini

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wills2 View Post
Agreed, tourism and the type of tourism needs to be sustainable as do 2nd homes too many and the balance tips and you hollow out villages and then towns.

We cannot keep creating an ever increasing distance between the haves and have nots and we must always remember that the vast majority of jobs we need doing and enjoy being done by others are generally done by the have nots

(I recuse myself from that statement as I don't do anything important/worthwhile as well as being a have not)
Tourism provides hundreds of thousands of jobs, the problem comes when it destroys the reasons for wanting to visit. Planning rules around camp sites and holiday lets (I believe you should have to get planning permission to let a property commercially on a short let basis...) would be a start but we seem to be going the other way and allowing a planning free for all (I am no expert and that may be completely wrong!)

Wills2 in the scheme of things I suspect you are anything but a have not...... as indeed will everyone on here I would suspect, Have nots cant afford cars let alone BMW.... and houses are perhaps rented or maybe HMO room....
Appreciate 0
      06-09-2021, 02:45 PM   #46
TiredGeek
Old Fart
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 335dx F31 Shadow EB

Wills2, maybe edit your sig if you're gonna go with the "I'm a have not" gig
"Golf GTI/Z4C, Gone X3MC/G11 740d xdrive/F80 M3/F10 M5/F31 335d/e92 M3 x 2/F10 520d x 2/997 C2S/e46 M3/e46 320d/SL320/Touareg 3.2V6/Audi allroad 2.7TDi"

I'm gonna go with being "a have".
But I worked bloody hard for many years to get there.
Strange that I don't have the latest iPhone, smoke weed constantly, have all the TV subscriptions and consider alcohol a suitable breakfast like all the "have nots" that I see every day as part of my job. The same poor underprivileged "have nots" that can't afford to feed their 6 feral children.....

Anyway, back to where to live.... North Yorkshire. Ideally outside the National Park boundaries to avoid the higher property prices, the tighter planning regulations and minimise the number of god awfully noisy and dangerously ridden motorbikes.

Failing that, northern Scotland. Scenery is gorgeous if you can find somewhere they haven't planted a crop of massive turbines. The biggest problem though is the damn midges. You get a lovely evening but you can't sit in the garden because you get eaten alive by the little sods
      06-09-2021, 04:01 PM   #47
Wills2
Barge driver
Ukraine
Rep
Drives: 730d

Quote:
Originally Posted by TiredGeek View Post
Wills2, maybe edit your sig if you're gonna go with the "I'm a have not" gig
"Golf GTI/Z4C, Gone X3MC/G11 740d xdrive/F80 M3/F10 M5/F31 335d/e92 M3 x 2/F10 520d x 2/997 C2S/e46 M3/e46 320d/SL320/Touareg 3.2V6/Audi allroad 2.7TDi"
You may have zeroed in on the reason for the have notness...(but yes of course it's all relative, point taken)

There is a really good read from a billionaire on how inequality when it goes too far is very counter productive.

And I do feel that we're in a period whereby things aren't balanced and history won't look kindly on the society we have at the moment.

Link to the article:

https://www.politico.com/magazine/st...ocrats-108014/
      06-09-2021, 06:04 PM   #48
Sennen
Colonel
Rep
Drives: UP, Alpine & Caterham

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ennoch View Post
Oh for sure, I can't argue with that. I guess where the problem lies is that if I go on an expensive holiday or own an expensive car that it doesn't impact the cost of either a cheaper car or a cheaper holiday for someone with less money. However, if there's limited stock of housing and locals are being priced out the market by incomers there's clear reason for friction. Then again, the biggest issue with pushing up house prices in rural locations is not people buying houses to live there but to either stay in for a few weeks a year, or to rent out to holidayers. Tourism is such a parasitic industry unfortunately and the transient nature of visitors, particularly with 'fast' tourism such as the NC500 in many cases has seen hotel and B&B owners make less money than before because people only stay one night in any one place. Add in the fact it starts in April and ends in October leaves people without a way to pay their rent or mortgage the rest of the year, which is obviously higher because of the aforementioned holiday homes/rentals issue.

It's a complex issue and as I mentioned before, one I don't have the answer to but while tourists up here on the NC500 route seem to think they're the financial saviours of the country bumpkin villages, they're far from it, and most locals would be glad to never see them again. Which is a shame, but entirely driven by the behaviours and actions of many of them.
I don't disagree.

In 50 plus years I can see areas like Cornwall, The Lakes and even parts of the Highlands becoming nothing but massive 'Theme Parks/Resorts' where no one will actually live and will be serviced by people living in temporary accommodation much like a 'Cruise Liner' today, thankfully by that stage I will be long gone.

The bottom line is there are too many people now, not just in the UK but Worldwide and until a satisfactory solution to that 'Elephant in the Room' is sorted it is only going to get worse and no manner of 'Thunbergism' is going to save us.
Appreciate 1
Ennoch2257.00
      06-10-2021, 03:47 AM   #49
strike4A
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: X3 M40i LCI Tanzanite Blue II

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sennen View Post
Quote:
Oh for sure, I can't argue with that. I guess where the problem lies is that if I go on an expensive holiday or own an expensive car that it doesn't impact the cost of either a cheaper car or a cheaper holiday for someone with less money. However, if there's limited stock of housing and locals are being priced out the market by incomers there's clear reason for friction. Then again, the biggest issue with pushing up house prices in rural locations is not people buying houses to live there but to either stay in for a few weeks a year, or to rent out to holidayers. Tourism is such a parasitic industry unfortunately and the transient nature of visitors, particularly with 'fast' tourism such as the NC500 in many cases has seen hotel and B&B owners make less money than before because people only stay one night in any one place. Add in the fact it starts in April and ends in October leaves people without a way to pay their rent or mortgage the rest of the year, which is obviously higher because of the aforementioned holiday homes/rentals issue.

It's a complex issue and as I mentioned before, one I don't have the answer to but while tourists up here on the NC500 route seem to think they're the financial saviours of the country bumpkin villages, they're far from it, and most locals would be glad to never see them again. Which is a shame, but entirely driven by the behaviours and actions of many of them.
I don't disagree.

In 50 plus years I can see areas like Cornwall, The Lakes and even parts of the Highlands becoming nothing but massive 'Theme Parks/Resorts' where no one will actually live and will be serviced by people living in temporary accommodation much like a 'Cruise Liner' today, thankfully by that stage I will be long gone.

The bottom line is there are too many people now, not just in the UK but Worldwide and until a satisfactory solution to that 'Elephant in the Room' is sorted it is only going to get worse and no manner of 'Thunbergism' is going to save us.
Just as Venice has become
Appreciate 0
      06-10-2021, 04:15 AM   #50
Ennoch
Colonel
Rep
Drives: F31 335D XDrive

Quote:
I don't disagree.

Hopefully by that point I'll be past caring, but unfortunately I think you may be right. People already treat these areas as their play parks when on holiday there and social media with it's utter lack of respect for anything but its own vacuous narcissistic tendencies is not helping that.

I wholeheartedly agree with your last point too. Currently we're fluffing around the edges and not doing anything to change attitudes towards population growth being the issue, especially when the countries with fastest growing populations are those who are predominantly poor and aspire to have the 'western' lifestyle, or at least its wealth.
Appreciate 1
Sennen1733.50
      06-10-2021, 11:14 AM   #51
Sennen
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Hopefully by that point I'll be past caring, but unfortunately I think you may be right. People already treat these areas as their play parks when on holiday there and social media with it's utter lack of respect for anything but its own vacuous narcissistic tendencies is not helping that.

I wholeheartedly agree with your last point too. Currently we're fluffing around the edges and not doing anything to change attitudes towards population growth being the issue, especially when the countries with fastest growing populations are those who are predominantly poor and aspire to have the 'western' lifestyle, or at least its wealth.
No matter how many electric cars, reduced flights, renewable energy or veganism we can convert people to it will be to no avail if we continue to breed like rabbits.

The only saving grace with places like the Lakes and the Highlands are that the Brits are a load of lazy gits and they very rarely walk more than 400 yards from their cars in these places. Luckily I can usually get out for a days walking in the Lakes, (especially if i do a bit of Wild Camping) and can usually see next to no one.
Appreciate 3
KRS_SN13483.50
allachie91334.00
      06-10-2021, 11:43 PM   #52
agentorange
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 328d

Churchend on Foulness Island. It's the ultimate gated community.
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2021, 03:10 AM   #53
Sennen
Colonel
Rep

Quote:

I have just seen your post on the UK M2 Forum Ennoch ......... Good for you, these people are utter filth
Appreciate 2
Ennoch2257.00
      06-19-2021, 03:47 AM   #54
Sennen
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by JD6 View Post
Right now, with the huge influx of staycationers, the roads are a bit tricky. Urban dwellers who don’t seem to recognise that road widths can vary or that not all roads have white lines.

I do have the Mini as well and on the busiest days I’m more likely to take that for a shorter trip.

Wrynose and Hardknott aren’t really 8 Series territory! - I think they would be a complete PITA at the moment in anything larger than a Mini. I think I would take an alternative route unless very early or late. Eskdale is nice, if rather remote!
JD6 did I see you on Wednesday afternoon driving out of Ulverston?
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2021, 07:38 AM   #55
JD6
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 840i GC + Mini Electric L3

Quote:
JD6 did I see you on Wednesday afternoon driving out of Ulverston?
Not me. I've actually never been there. I still see very few 8 Series in the wild, particularly the 8GC - it's a year since I got my car and I've probably seen a dozen in that time. Admittedly it has been an unusual year and I've only driven about 11-12k miles between my 2 cars. Usually closer to 20k.
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2021, 04:25 AM   #56
Sennen
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by JD6 View Post
Not me. I've actually never been there. I still see very few 8 Series in the wild, particularly the 8GC - it's a year since I got my car and I've probably seen a dozen in that time. Admittedly it has been an unusual year and I've only driven about 11-12k miles between my 2 cars. Usually closer to 20k.
There was me thinking you would be a Laurel & Hardy fan

The one coming out of Ulverston is only the second one I have seen in the wild, they do look fabulous, I had a couple of lads admiring mine when I stopped at one of the M6 service stations on the way up.
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2021, 05:35 PM   #57
Ennoch
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
I have just seen your post on the UK M2 Forum Ennoch ......... Good for you, these people are utter filth
Yup, there are lots of them up here right now unfortunately, including one who decided to randomly key my car while parked in a small gravel carpark off the road so I could go up into the hills. Either a schemie tourist in the camper van nearby, or another local totally pissed off by chavs in their BMW M cars or Audi S cars treating the place like a private race track. Still shaking with anger even now, 24hrs later. I only got the car back from a perfect full respray two weeks ago!!

[
Appreciate 4
KRS_SN13483.50
Sennen1733.50
      06-21-2021, 03:18 AM   #58
Sennen
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Yup, there are lots of them up here right now unfortunately, including one who decided to randomly key my car while parked in a small gravel carpark off the road so I could go up into the hills. Either a schemie tourist in the camper van nearby, or another local totally pissed off by chavs in their BMW M cars or Audi S cars treating the place like a private race track. Still shaking with anger even now, 24hrs later. I only got the car back from a perfect full respray two weeks ago!!

[
I am sorry to here this Ennoch, I cant get my head around mindless destruction like this, what is to be gained You can sort of understand someone breaking into your car to steal something but 'keying' is just mindless.

My son had the satisfaction of catching a couple of scrotes breaking into his RS Megane a few years ago........ lets just say he didnt call the police
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2021, 08:01 AM   #59
Arcticdan
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: A car!

[QUOTE=Ennoch;27721201]Yup, there are lots of them up here right now unfortunately, including one who decided to randomly key my car while parked in a small gravel carpark off the road so I could go up into the hills. Either a schemie tourist in the camper van nearby, or another local totally pissed off by chavs in their BMW M cars or Audi S cars treating the place like a private race track. Still shaking with anger even now, 24hrs later. I only got the car back from a perfect full respray two weeks ago!!

So sorry to see this, hope you get it sorted without to much hassle, just mindless idiots whether they are local or visitors.

I live in the Snowdonia National Park and we had a spate of cars parked in remote laybys being sprayed 'go home' during last years initial lockdown, totally out of order!! There was even rumours it was a National Park employee, as far as I know never proved.
Appreciate 1
Ennoch2257.00
      06-21-2021, 08:20 AM   #60
isleaiw1
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: iPace / Mini

[QUOTE=Arcticdan;27722450]
Quote:

So sorry to see this, hope you get it sorted without to much hassle, just mindless idiots whether they are local or visitors.

I live in the Snowdonia National Park and we had a spate of cars parked in remote laybys being sprayed 'go home' during last years initial lockdown, totally out of order!! There was even rumours it was a National Park employee, as far as I know never proved.
Cos they were clearly home whilst spraying the cars, the stupidity of some people makes me laugh...
Appreciate 2
Ennoch2257.00
      06-21-2021, 10:24 AM   #61
Ennoch
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
I am sorry to here this Ennoch, I cant get my head around mindless destruction like this, what is to be gained You can sort of understand someone breaking into your car to steal something but 'keying' is just mindless.

My son had the satisfaction of catching a couple of scrotes breaking into his RS Megane a few years ago........ lets just say he didnt call the police
I bet he found that satisfying. I'd have loved to have caught the tossers who did this. I just don't get it. I didn't see anyone there, I didn't speak to anyone there so what justification or reason was there for damaging my property?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcticdan View Post

I suppose that at least it'll be an easy blend seeing as we know the exact paint mix to use now after many months of faffing around trying to work it out Still bloody fuming, the paint was literally two weeks old.

At least sprayed vandalism is relatively easy to get off, unlike car keying which has to be one of the most pathetic, petty, ugly forms of spineless vandalism.

Quote:
Originally Posted by isleaiw1 View Post

Cos they were clearly home whilst spraying the cars, the stupidity of some people makes me laugh...
The amount of vigilante type stupidity on display from people is just ridiculous at the moment, in all walks of life. Our local wildlife park a few months ago had loads of stickers put on all the signs saying 'stay home you covidiots. If you can read this you shouldn't be here'. And how did they get there? Not to mention of course that outdoor exercise was okay! Too many people in this world are so self absorbed that they think their opinion is the only one that can be correct and that anyone else is terrible and must be punished/complained about etc etc. I'm just sick of it. Up here in the north west you could escape it up until recently but sadly these parasitic tourists (not all tourists up here are like that of course) are bringing their poisonous attitudes with them.
Appreciate 4
      06-21-2021, 01:53 PM   #62
KRS_SN
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: IX,G07

Garage List
2020 X7  [10.00]
X5  [8.50]
IX  [8.00]
@Ennoch
when you pull up to your dealership lot and tell the SA that 'its a problem with the paintwork again' (before you explain the circumstances)
I would like to see the expression on the SA's face
Appreciate 0