F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > F30 DIYs and Coding Discussions > Which NBT Evo HU for retrofit?
GetBMWParts

06-07-2021, 02:46 PM   #1
zDave
Rep
Drives: BMW 320

Which NBT Evo HU for retrofit?

Hi All

I've been a long time lurker on this forum having recently purchased a 2016 F30.

I'm now at the stage where I am giving real consideration to either upgrading the ID4 HU to a ID5/6, or to install an Android 10" screen. Yes... my big desire is Carplay!

It looks like an android screen can be picked up for around £200, but I really like the idea of OEM. My care is a later 2016 build and appears to have fallen just short of the ID5 standard. It does have the business nav and already has the reversing camera though.

So... when it comes to looking for a HU I've been trawling eBay for anything with a HW verson 3.1 or higher. Honestly- I'm hoping to find an unsuspecting breaker who is selling something off cheap. Thing is - there seem to be all manner of untis with this HW version, and the config for the various connectors look different.

I'd be grateful for a steer on this. Is it really as simple as picking up a HW 3.1 unit and everything I have will connect across? Or is there more to this? I don't want to have to strip out my exisitng unit to see what's connected to it, unless I really have to .

thanks for any guidance
Dave
Appreciate 0
      06-08-2021, 03:06 AM   #2
Wibbles
Coding ECU's remotely
Rep
Drives: M3LR

You will need a 3.1 unit or above - all the ID5 units have a black top.

It takes more than just changing the hardware, the unit will need coding and potentially flashing to your car & activating to your VIN or nothing will work.
Appreciate 0
      06-08-2021, 05:17 PM   #3
zDave
Rep

I get the impression that the coding of the New HU would be a bigger PITA than the hardware swap out and FSC activation. Is that right? Or is there is one size fits most solution?

I’m pretty comfortable with following instructions to code but if this is beyond the average DIY solution it may just mean picking up an android screen instead.
Appreciate 0
      06-09-2021, 02:46 AM   #4
Wibbles
Coding ECU's remotely
Rep
Drives: M3LR

it's an easy job to code the headunit to your car, biggest issue is that it needs to be on the right firmware or you will get random black screens - this is because your current idrive screen is not compatible with later fimware versions than March 2018.
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2021, 01:42 AM   #5
zDave
Rep

thanks for your guidance on this Wibbles. After much deliberation I opted for an Andream carplay display rather than the android unit or the oem route. For what I intend to use it for the cost wasn't justified.

for what it's worth - I'm unconvinced about the Andream unit. It might just be me, but it seems I have to 'forget' and re-connect the car every time I want to use wireless car play.
Appreciate 0