F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > Regional Forums > UK > Issue after EGR cooler replacement
proTUNING Freaks

01-08-2019, 01:06 PM   #1
adambmw
Rep
Drives: F32 420d M Sport

Issue after EGR cooler replacement

Evening

Had the EGR cooler replaced on my 2016 420d with the b47 engine last week under the current recall program.

Ever since I have had the car back I am feeling a slight power loss/hesitation sometimes under acceleration. I am fairly sure it wasn’t like that before.

Could the EGR cooler replacement be causing this or could it be something else? Or could I just be being paranoid.
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2019, 01:21 PM   #2
Roo12
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 4 Series GC M Sport +

I had mine done on same 2016 model and had it back 3 times with lack of power etc - got fed up with it and VT’d in December
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2019, 01:27 PM   #3
adambmw
Rep
Drives: F32 420d M Sport

Interesting, was it ok before the recall work?
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2019, 02:29 PM   #4
Watsey
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F31 330D sDrive M Sport

You may find that BMW's software update/coding may have been applied along with the new EGR/cooler includes revised fuelling settings. My car was down on power and dropped 4mpg after BMW installed a software 'quality enhancement' without my authorisation around a year ago, although this wasn't related to the EGR/cooler.

Having the DMS remap reinstalled, along with custom EGR settings, has cured it. The engine now runs very well indeed : really smooth, much more responsive, the diesel clatter between 1500-2000rpm on a light throttle has gone, and fuel consumption is back to prior levels.
Current : F31 330sD, remapped, Ohlins Road & Track, Millway camber plates, Quaife LSD, Stoptech brakes + Pagid RSL1 pads all round, Weichers front strut brace, Eibach front & rear anti-roll bars, Michelin MP4S.
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2019, 05:41 PM   #5
adam.b
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: iX3 Premier

Had same problem after new software on 218d (65plate GT - kids wagon) on service, car noticeable slower, lost power, mpg went from 50 to 30 within 3-4 weeks then just died(wound not rev over 1200rpm) towed a way to serice.
New egr was fitted which solve sluggish engine response but tail pipe was since then always black, like dpf wasn't there.

it was done in 2017 September way before recall on EGR!

Last edited by adam.b; 01-08-2019 at 05:44 PM.. Reason: *
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2019, 02:29 AM   #6
Roo12
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Mostly ok before it went in but always thought it was less responsive than other 320 / 420’s I had driven - put in down to a Friday afternoon one.

Delighted to get shut of it
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2019, 10:44 AM   #7
agentorange
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 328d

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roo12 View Post
I had mine done on same 2016 model and had it back 3 times with lack of power etc - got fed up with it and VT’d in December
Been away from the UK for a while. What the hell is "VT'd".
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2019, 11:40 AM   #8
Roo12
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Voluntary terminated once 50% paid
Appreciate 1
      01-14-2019, 06:58 AM   #9
PX3
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: X3 / F32

Sounds like the EGR Valve needs replacing. My 420d was hesitating, even if you cruised at 50mph and then decided to increase speed it would hesitate.
Although what made me visit the dealership was when it did it as I was going round a roundabout, it would feel as though I the car was being held back.

It went in and they found the EGR Valve was sticking, so they replaced it.

I have just had my EGR Cooler replaced and haven't noticed any downgrade in performance and if anything, it felt smoother!
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2019, 03:25 AM   #10
R330dx
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Panamera

Quote:
Originally Posted by PX3 View Post
Sounds like the EGR Valve needs replacing. My 420d was hesitating, even if you cruised at 50mph and then decided to increase speed it would hesitate.
Although what made me visit the dealership was when it did it as I was going round a roundabout, it would feel as though I the car was being held back.

It went in and they found the EGR Valve was sticking, so they replaced it.

I have just had my EGR Cooler replaced and haven't noticed any downgrade in performance and if anything, it felt smoother!
pretty sure a new cooler includes a new egr.
When I replaced the cooler on my 330d it was supplied with a new egr in the box.
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2019, 05:49 AM   #11
PX3
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: X3 / F32

Quote:
Originally Posted by R330dx View Post
When I replaced the cooler on my 330d it was supplied with a new egr in the box.
Well if that is the case, then my EGR Valve that was a couple of months old has already been replaced
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2019, 07:42 AM   #12
jinjur
yes....spelt with J's
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F31 325D MSport

Read my reply in the EGR update buddy................seemingly, some of even the most recent EGR replacements are having to be replaced.

Ours was done under 2 months ago and is currently under inspection as the batch number might be on the list

:/

J
Appreciate 0
      09-16-2019, 10:28 AM   #13
PTX
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW 535D

After EGR cooler recall repair, my 535D becomes less responsive when pressing gas pedal. The acceleration is slower than before.
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2020, 05:16 AM   #14
paulwtech
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: F31 320D N47 2014 EffDyn Auto

Unhappy Low RPM Throttle hesitation / Poor MPG after EGR cooler replaced...

Hi folks. My 2014 320D touring has suffered ever since the EGR cooler replacement; throttle hesitation when filtering in traffic; in the 1200rpm to 2000rpm area; prime example, entering a roundabout; put foot on gas, nothing; then BAM! it kicks in with a sudden burst "jerked" acceleration! MPG has nose dived! Used to easily achieve 55mpg plus on my regular commute home!! Anyone else notice, very poor MPG from cold? I'm getting only around 26mpg for the first 4 miles!! Prior to the EGR cooler debacle, the car was silky smooth & MPG was 40 to 50 miles more per tank of fuel; even through the winter months! The car has been back to the same main dealer multiple times since the recall was carried out at the end of Dec 2018! So i'm told; the dealer also applied the current release integration level; checked loads of other stuff; but the car just still isn't what it was before! Kind of at my wits end; i've spoken with BMW technical on the phone & social media platforms; i'm taking the car to a different main dealership as I've lost faith with where I'ts been taken all it's life; especially after the last two visits, where they had some how associated a completely different owner with my car; which was a complete shock when they issued my previous two service invoices! Anyway, that's my experience of this whole EGR cooler debacle...so-far anyway!!
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2020, 11:58 AM   #15
speedski
Major
Rep
Drives: Former F40/F36/E81/E85 Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by R330dx View Post
That's Odd

The tech who replaced the valve on my drive said the valve wasn't part of a recall and isn't replaced as part of one.

So its surprising to find it supplied in the same box - that's not what the tech said happens.
Appreciate 1
      02-21-2020, 11:59 AM   #16
speedski
Major
Rep
Drives: Former F40/F36/E81/E85 Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulwtech View Post
Hi folks. My 2014 320D touring has suffered ever since the EGR cooler replacement; throttle hesitation when filtering in traffic; in the 1200rpm to 2000rpm area; prime example, entering a roundabout; put foot on gas, nothing; then BAM! it kicks in with a sudden burst "jerked" acceleration! MPG has nose dived! Used to easily achieve 55mpg plus on my regular commute home!! Anyone else notice, very poor MPG from cold? I'm getting only around 26mpg for the first 4 miles!! Prior to the EGR cooler debacle, the car was silky smooth & MPG was 40 to 50 miles more per tank of fuel; even through the winter months! The car has been back to the same main dealer multiple times since the recall was carried out at the end of Dec 2018! So i'm told; the dealer also applied the current release integration level; checked loads of other stuff; but the car just still isn't what it was before! Kind of at my wits end; i've spoken with BMW technical on the phone & social media platforms; i'm taking the car to a different main dealership as I've lost faith with where I'ts been taken all it's life; especially after the last two visits, where they had some how associated a completely different owner with my car; which was a complete shock when they issued my previous two service invoices! Anyway, that's my experience of this whole EGR cooler debacle...so-far anyway!!
You need to get them to read the codes or read them yourself - BMW assist plugged it in on the drive after I nearly got wiped out by an HGV and within 30 seconds he said I had multiple reports on the logs that its the EGR VALVE that's causing the issue.
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2020, 04:35 PM   #17
paulwtech
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: F31 320D N47 2014 EffDyn Auto

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedski View Post
You need to get them to read the codes or read them yourself - BMW assist plugged it in on the drive after I nearly got wiped out by an HGV and within 30 seconds he said I had multiple reports on the logs that its the EGR VALVE that's causing the issue.
Thanks for your reply. I’ve got it booked in next month at a different main dealer. I’ve also raised a customer complaint with BMW customer service.
I’m hoping that a second opinion from the other dealership, (which by all accounts has a better reputation), will pick up & resolve whatever they hopefully find! I just would like it back to how it was smoothness & efficiency wise as it’s a cracking motor with fully loaded spec. Fingers crossed
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2020, 07:04 AM   #18
gIzzE
Major General
Rep
Drives: F11 + 911 C4

BMW have some serious issues with the EGRs. They are failing at an alarming rate.

My car was 'absolutely, 100%, not, not going to be on the egr recall list" when it failed.

3 weeks later I got a recall letter.

Any slight hesitation on these is a failing EGR. Sit at 1500rpm for 30 seconds then hit the gas, if it doesn't pick up straight away, or feels like is misses slightly, it is the first signs of it failing.
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2020, 06:09 PM   #19
KRS_SN
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: IX,G07

Garage List
2020 X7  [10.00]
X5  [8.50]
IX  [8.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by gIzzE View Post
BMW have some serious issues with the EGRs. They are failing at an alarming rate.

My car was 'absolutely, 100%, not, not going to be on the egr recall list" when it failed.

3 weeks later I got a recall letter.

Any slight hesitation on these is a failing EGR. Sit at 1500rpm for 30 seconds then hit the gas, if it doesn't pick up straight away, or feels like is misses slightly, it is the first signs of it failing.
agree
my mrs's f15 x5(ususlly driven by mrs and i droveit one day when my 335d was in for service) i found the x5 had become sluggish. i put gear shifter it in sports and vehicle in sports plus mode and gave it a blast.
After a few minutes It stalled and had to be towed- broken egr fixed under goodwill(thanks dealer and bmw)
mrs bitterly complained that i had broken the car by driving it hard.
Appreciate 0
      11-12-2020, 07:48 AM   #20
yucatan156
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW 430D F36

Recently bought a used 430D F36 and had the EGR cooler replaced at the main dealer as per the pending BMW recall. 3 days after that I noticed a slight loss of power and a minor decrease in MPG. The car also had a fault code (without check engine warning light) stored in the ECU. The fault code was:
2A6D00 - Smoothness controller cylinder 4 correction amount outside the allowable range.
Cleared the fault code and replaced the fuel filter and been driving the car for a week now. The fault code didnt come back yet and neither the lost power. Any ideas?

Last edited by yucatan156; 11-12-2020 at 08:51 AM..
Appreciate 0
      11-12-2020, 08:16 AM   #21
V330d
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: F31 335d Tanzanite

Quote:
Originally Posted by yucatan156 View Post
Recently bought a used 430D F36 and had the EGR replaced at the main dealer as per the pending BMW recall. 3 days after that I noticed a slight loss of power and a minor decrease in MPG. The car also had a fault code (without check engine warning light) stored in the ECU. The fault code was:
2A6D00 - Smoothness controller cylinder 4 correction amount outside the allowable range.
Cleared the fault code and replaced the fuel filter and been driving the car for a week now. The fault code didnt come back yet and neither the lost power. Any ideas?

likely only the cooler was replaced, without the EGR.
Most likely the EGR valve itself which sometimes won't throw a fault code. On mine I could feel it wasn't right but it passed all the bench tests and was only changed after I convinced a tech to take it home for extended test, he was then able to replicate this with the car hooked up to diagnostics. Get the intake manifold checked as well, could be coked up.
Appreciate 0
      11-12-2020, 08:48 AM   #22
yucatan156
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW 430D F36

Quote:
Originally Posted by V330d View Post
likely only the cooler was replaced, without the EGR.
Most likely the EGR valve itself which sometimes won't throw a fault code. On mine I could feel it wasn't right but it passed all the bench tests and was only changed after I convinced a tech to take it home for extended test, he was then able to replicate this with the car hooked up to diagnostics. Get the intake manifold checked as well, could be coked up.
Will check the EGR the following days and get back for any updates. Thank you for the fast reply
And yes! It was only the EGR cooler, not the EGR itself.
Appreciate 0