F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Cosmetic and Lighting Modifications (exterior & interior) > F30 Projector Angel Eye Headlights!
Extreme Powerhouse

01-07-2019, 10:33 AM   #1959
ikehigh05
Private
Rep
Drives: 2011 328i xdrive

Question for you guys. Soo someone hit the front of my f30 and damaged my depos. I had LEDs in for the low beams originally when I installed my depos myself. The body shop is installing the depo headlights this time for me. When I ordered the depos for the second time, I ordered them with the "super white halogen" option. Has anyone else ordered their depos with the "super white halogens"? If so, are they decent or will I have to go back to a LED/HID option as before?
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2019, 04:03 PM   #1960
sgimips
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: '18 540d

Got a few more pics. One shows the before and after of the wiring on the high beam side. There's a lot of loose connectors in there and I'm not sure if that'll cause issues in the long run or not so I used automotive double sided tape to tape them down and keep all the wiring away from anything that would get hot. As others have discovered, this area of the headlight can't be accessed once they are installed. Looks like only the low beam and turn signal bulbs can be replaced once they are installed in the car.

The other pics show how the LEDs look in the high beams. Not OEM, but I think they look nice. I tested all the lights via the pins on the outside of the housing, everything works including the high beam shutter. I've got an appointment lined up to get these installed but in the mean time if there's any questions/wanted photos for these Depo lights before I install them let me know.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      01-09-2019, 12:31 PM   #1961
MONSTAR
#gotboost
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by chazmink View Post
Monstar, sorry to hear USR wouldn't work with you. That said, last week I got a right turn signal malfunction warning. I was able to correct it by installing the OEM bulb holder. It was a really tight fit and hard to turn. Hopefully that means I have good solid connections and everything is solved. It was a lot easier than replacing the whole assembly as I had to do to fix the driver's side. Hopefully a right side assembly will pop up on the classifieds for you.
Charlie
Happy to report that USR came around and ended up selling me a passenger side headlight assembly. It was actually just delivered, though I won't be able to get to check it out for another 8 hours or so. Really debating if I should install HID's this time around but then I'd have to uninstall the other headlight as well...

2013 F30 328i (12/2015 - 09/2020) SOLD!
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2019, 12:35 PM   #1962
chazmink
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 328i M Sport

Glad USR stepped up. I wonder how widespread this problem is. I hate the thought of getting really proficient at changing out these headlights! I don't know much about HIDs but I'd be concerned about the heat generated.

Good luck.

2013 328i MSport Estoril Blue, 6spd MT, Premium, Tech & Drivers Assist +, Bavsound Stage One/Ghost, Bimmertech Amp
Appreciate 1
MONSTAR517.00
      01-10-2019, 07:45 PM   #1963
floridaorange
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 bmw 320i xdrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by MONSTAR View Post
Happy to report that USR came around and ended up selling me a passenger side headlight assembly. It was actually just delivered, though I won't be able to get to check it out for another 8 hours or so. Really debating if I should install HID's this time around but then I'd have to uninstall the other headlight as well...
want to pull the trigger on a pair of these myself, but not if it's a huge hassle in a year or 2... keep us posted. I don't fully understand why you needed a new side headlight assembly to fix a blinker that went out. Can you post pics? no rush mate.
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2019, 11:18 AM   #1964
MONSTAR
#gotboost
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by floridaorange View Post
want to pull the trigger on a pair of these myself, but not if it's a huge hassle in a year or 2... keep us posted. I don't fully understand why you needed a new side headlight assembly to fix a blinker that went out. Can you post pics? no rush mate.
I explained it a page or 2 back....Its the passenger side turn signal that went out. I swapped the bulb holder and the passenger side holder actually works in the driver side, the driver side (oem piece) does not work in the passenger side. I tried 2 new bulbs and now 2 different bulb holders. I pulled the metal contacts out of one of the bulb holders, and the 2 metal contact points in the turn signal socket, and that didn't fix it either. There's literally nothing left to trouble shoot at this point...

Chazmnk had the same issue as me and had to purchase a new headlight as well.

I'll be installing it today after work, hopefully I don't get rained on.

2013 F30 328i (12/2015 - 09/2020) SOLD!
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2019, 07:50 PM   #1965
MONSTAR
#gotboost
United_States
Rep

Happy to report that it doesn稚 seem to be an issue with the depo headlight (and it痴 turn signal). I tested out the new headlight and it did not fix the issue.

Unfortunately this means I must have a problem with my wiring somewhere and have no idea how to go about troubleshooting that :\. And now I have an extra headlight
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2019, 08:13 PM   #1966
obert
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 328i

Quote:
Happy to report that it doesn稚 seem to be an issue with the depo headlight (and it痴 turn signal). I tested out the new headlight and it did not fix the issue.

Unfortunately this means I must have a problem with my wiring somewhere and have no idea how to go about troubleshooting that :\. And now I have an extra headlight
Just sell the spare one. I think I got 200 for mine
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2019, 08:06 PM   #1967
sgimips
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: '18 540d

Quote:

Get a voltmeter and check to see if you are getting any power out of the turn signal pin. Should be a constant 12 volts if you have amber corning lights that stay on, or 12 volts on/off with the turn signal activated.

Pin #2 is ground and pin #1 is the turn signal bulb IIRC. The numbers are probably printed on the connector (and also probably printed inside the headlight connector) You could also test your old headlight by applying 12 volts of power to pins 1(+) and 2(-), and see if the turn signal bulb lights up.
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2019, 01:38 PM   #1968
chazmink
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 328i M Sport

Quote:
Happy to report that it doesn’t seem to be an issue with the depo headlight (and it’s turn signal). I tested out the new headlight and it did not fix the issue.

Bummer. I'm curious if you still have the OEM headlight and tried that. If that behaved the same you could definitively rule out the headlight assembly. Taking the voltage readings with a VOM as suggested will also do that. Another guy PMed me and said he was also having the turn signal problem.

You shouldn't have any problem selling the extra headlight if you don't need it.

Good luck.

Charlie

2013 328i MSport Estoril Blue, 6spd MT, Premium, Tech & Drivers Assist +, Bavsound Stage One/Ghost, Bimmertech Amp
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2019, 04:59 PM   #1969
Fmjp1986
Registered
Portugal
Rep
Drives: BMW F30ed

Hi guys ,

I'm here trying to figure out what's the best option for me and I'm completely lost at the moment ! I'm going to get rid of my halogens for sure , but since I'm in Europe (Portugal ) to be more precise , it's a freaking mission to get the Depo's around here, I can only find them available here from USR , but the cost plus shipping and taxes on top over here the total cost goes up to $1000 + !

The option available around here , are the HELLA 's headlights with projector angel eyes ! Has anyone done the retrofit with those ?

Here are some pics of the item :[IMG][/IMG]
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      01-22-2019, 09:06 PM   #1970
Shmouzer
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW 328i xDrive

Alright, I need new headlights as my left headlight casing is cracked. Not terribly - it's been like this for a few years, but it's noticeable and it's time to upgrade/fix/replace/whatever.

-Are DEPO the best aftermarket parts if I'm looking to go LED?

-Are HID just brighter than LEDs? It seems like they're easy(ish?) to install if I go DEPO. Googled this and I think LED is fine. I don't see why I'd need HID - do people just like the look?

-Do I need anything else to install? I saw someone mention and link some small metal bracket type piece but then other people didn't mention them in their installs. Scratch this - I went back and saw BMWF30PGH only needed a metal piece for the specific bulbs they purchased.

-If I do buy these what would be the best LEDs or HID kit to buy, respectively?

The install and calibrating(Leveling the eyes) doesn't seem too difficult based off everything I saw in here.
Thanks for any help, much appreciated. I flipped back to like page 70 but there's just a ton of info.

Last edited by Shmouzer; 01-22-2019 at 09:15 PM..
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2019, 10:58 PM   #1971
rahilxxi
rahilxxi
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 Black F30 328i

Has anyone installed LED 3D Crystal U-Halo headlights ?

I was looking at these headlights. But no reviews. Has anyone on this site seen thes in person ? Or has them on their car ?

https://i5.walmartimages.com/asr/2d1...82869003a.jpeg
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      01-23-2019, 08:42 AM   #1972
QuikSilver_
Captain
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2016 F36 M Sport

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by rahilxxi View Post
I was looking at these headlights. But no reviews. Has anyone on this site seen thes in person ? Or has them on their car ?

https://i5.walmartimages.com/asr/2d1...82869003a.jpeg
https://f30.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh...ht=lego&page=2

Check out post #29 on this thread.
      01-23-2019, 05:53 PM   #1973
Shmouzer
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW 328i xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by gpjustinn View Post
I actually have these in a box right now and was going to return them because I read some bad reviews...hmm
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2019, 11:22 PM   #1974
rahilxxi
rahilxxi
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shmouzer View Post
I actually have these in a box right now and was going to return them because I read some bad reviews...hmm
Yeah, I have them boxed as well. I’m not too sure if I should just install them or return them. I got a good deal too. They didn’t come with LED bulbs either so I need to find which bulbs will work best.
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2019, 11:47 PM   #1975
rahilxxi
rahilxxi
United_States
Rep

Another review on the DNA Motoring 3D U Halo LED lights

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shmouzer View Post

I found this on amazon today. This customer seems to like them too... I think they look different. Unique. And the post LCI half halo U shape is a newer look if I知 not mistaken. They look nice on this persons car.

I知 still fuzzy on which bulbs to buy , and if I need any add-one like resistors. I知 planning on installing them on Monday. (4 days) and I will be uploading tons of pics and a review if I go through with the install.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      01-26-2019, 10:41 PM   #1976
javpr99
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2011 X6 SAV

Hi,

I bought a 2015 328i xdrive sedan. Would like to replce the stock halogen headlights with HID or LED. Can someone help by providing a list of recommended parts?

Headlamps, bulb, decoder, etc?

Thanks

BTW, I'm located in Colorado

Last edited by javpr99; 01-27-2019 at 12:26 AM..
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2019, 05:09 PM   #1977
roc342
United_States
Rep
Drives: F34 328i sport line 2015'

does anyone knowif these work on the F34?
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2019, 03:33 PM   #1978
F80_Ho
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 F80 M3 Competition

USR DEPO

I've had these USR Headlights installed since October and they are amazing! No problems & they're bright as hell. I got the Super Bright White Halogen H7 Setup.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      01-31-2019, 11:00 AM   #1979
QuikSilver_
Captain
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2016 F36 M Sport

Garage List
sgimips Did you get these installed? I had a question on the fitment of the LEDs for the low beams. Were you able to fit everything inside the housing?

I have an HID kit for mine which I haven't installed yet, but I would have to drill holes in the back cover and run the wires through. It seems like there's less wiring/equipment with the LED bulbs, so I'm thinking about going that route if everything can be crammed inside. Although, would there be any heat issues by doing that?
      02-04-2019, 02:12 PM   #1980
herculeus
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW 328i M Sport

Monstar,

With that being said would it be better to just get an LED/HID kit to have better lighting then stock? I called many places to see if they would install the depo headlights and most Indy bmw shops said no or they have never heard of them.

I did find a place in Miami that said that they have installed depo before but three codes after. They recommended just doing an HID/LED kit.

I値l lose the look of the angel eyes but at least I値l have better visibility at night and won稚 have to worry about something going wrong and spending $600 on the depo.

Would you agree?

Quote:
Sorry bud, I was just messing with you. The headlights are all the same -- as long as you have pre-LCI halogens, they will work just fine. There are 89 pages here of mostly OK installs.

As a side note (as I commented on the previous page), Ive had mine installed for 2 years now and my right turn signal just went out recently. Nothing seems to fix it....as the bulb holder works fine in the left housing. USR isn't helping with a solution or an offer to purchase a single headlight.

There aren't too many people on here rocking them for 2 years so many people may not have experienced my same issue yet. It is a little unsettling to think of spending $500-$600 for lights that will only work for 2 years
Appreciate 0