F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > B58 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications > DINANTRONICS Elite V2 for the BMW B58
Extreme Powerhouse

11-12-2018, 09:21 PM   #1
maduroz
Private
Rep
Drives: 2017 BMW 340i xDrive

DINANTRONICS Elite V2 for the BMW B58

Does anyone have any info on this tune? At first I thought it was the Stage 2 Elite tune but that isn’t the case from what I read. My questions are; is this the Stage 2 tune which as I already stated I don’t think it is because it is less expensive and the output numbers are lower and it has only 4 plug-ins instead 8 like on the Stage 1, does this just replace the Stage 1 Elite tune because for that version there was a mppsk and non-mppsk versions this seems like it would be one version for both saving DINAN money.

Finally is there a true Stage 2 Elite tune coming out and why is the Stage 1 Elite not available anymore on DINANs website, only the v2 is available and if you want the Stage 1 mppsk or non mppsk it looks like you have to get it from a parts supplier who has it in stock.

I’m really confused as to what DINAN is doing so I’m trying to find out.

I tried calling them and got sick of being on hold, left a message. I spoke to a few tuning shops and this is so new they don’t have any info on it either.
MPPSK, DINANTRONICS Performance Tuner Stage 1 (MPPSK), K&N Air Filter, M-Sport, Adaptive Suspension, 6MT, MP Front Splitter, MP Kidney Grills, MP Steering Wheel, Stainless Pedals, CF Mirror Caps, CF Spoiler and CF and Alcantara MP Shifter and E-Brake

Traded in - 2010 BMW 335i xDrive, 6MT, Dinan Stage 1
Appreciate 0
      11-12-2018, 11:24 PM   #2
ashok66
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 440ix

Quote:
Originally Posted by maduroz View Post
Does anyone have any info on this tune? At first I thought it was the Stage 2 Elite tune but that isn’t the case from what I read. My questions are; is this the Stage 2 tune which as I already stated I don’t think it is because it is less expensive and the output numbers are lower and it has only 4 plug-ins instead 8 like on the Stage 1, does this just replace the Stage 1 Elite tune because for that version there was a mppsk and non-mppsk versions this seems like it would be one version for both saving DINAN money.

Finally is there a true Stage 2 Elite tune coming out and why is the Stage 1 Elite not available anymore on DINANs website, only the v2 is available and if you want the Stage 1 mppsk or non mppsk it looks like you have to get it from a parts supplier who has it in stock.

I’m really confused as to what DINAN is doing so I’m trying to find out.

I tried calling them and got sick of being on hold, left a message. I spoke to a few tuning shops and this is so new they don’t have any info on it either.
Saw the same thing. Wondering the same. It just came online the past week or so out of nowhere. Anyone...
Appreciate 0
      11-13-2018, 07:53 AM   #3
nikman011
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11 STi - IAG Trojan

Quote:
Does anyone have any info on this tune? At first I thought it was the Stage 2 Elite tune but that isn't the case from what I read. My questions are; is this the Stage 2 tune which as I already stated I don't think it is because it is less expensive and the output numbers are lower and it has only 4 plug-ins instead 8 like on the Stage 1, does this just replace the Stage 1 Elite tune because for that version there was a mppsk and non-mppsk versions this seems like it would be one version for both saving DINAN money.

I'm really confused as to what DINAN is doing so I'm trying to find out.

I tried calling them and got sick of being on hold, left a message. I spoke to a few tuning shops and this is so new they don't have any info on it either.
Send them an email, (they have always been solid at responding to me within the day), then post the answer(s) to your question(s)
      11-13-2018, 11:45 AM   #4
maduroz
Private
Rep

Sent email. We will see.
Appreciate 0
      11-13-2018, 11:46 AM   #5
B58
Major
Rep
Drives: 922 Turbo

I heard the Dinan stage 2 is a flash? Some Dinan stage 1 owner i know told me this so don't take my word on it.
      11-13-2018, 11:56 AM   #6
maduroz
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by B58 View Post
I heard the Dinan stage 2 is a flash? Some Dinan stage 1 owner i know told me this so don't take my word on it.
That would be great if it was. I just don’t get why they did a piggyback to start with then stage 2 is a flash, maybe to get to market quicker. Unless it would get added to the piggyback not the ecu? Because in the DINAN app you can turn off or switch between your tunes. I don’t know either.
Appreciate 0
      11-13-2018, 01:22 PM   #7
GF
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: '18 340i xdrive MT +M perf 1+2

This is the info that i received from Dinan today.

Hello Gregory,

We made some changes to Dinantronics Elite to make them more reliable and more cost effective at the same time. From what our testers have told us on the V2 they find the power delivery to be far superior to the V1, smoother and quicker, so we feel the improvements are worth wild.

We no longer need a specific version for the MPPSK cars and the same one works for both. You should still see slight HP gains over a non-MPPSK car however.

If you have any other questions please let me know.

Thanks,

Grant Efland
Account Manager
1800-341-5480 x2136

Grant.Efland@dinancars.com
Appreciate 0
      11-13-2018, 02:08 PM   #8
marcthedark
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M240i xdrive Convertible

Cost effective .... at $1,199 it doesn't seem to be much cheaper than the old version. While $200 is some it isn't a lot especially as a lot of torque seem to be lost but as it is "quicker" that can't be the case .... how is this now different from the Sport version ...?
Appreciate 0
      11-13-2018, 03:15 PM   #9
TreDirtyFive
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: X3 M40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by GF View Post
This is the info that i received from Dinan today.

Hello Gregory,

We made some changes to Dinantronics Elite to make them more reliable and more cost effective at the same time. From what our testers have told us on the V2 they find the power delivery to be far superior to the V1, smoother and quicker, so we feel the improvements are worth wild.

We no longer need a specific version for the MPPSK cars and the same one works for both. You should still see slight HP gains over a non-MPPSK car however.

If you have any other questions please let me know.

Thanks,

Grant Efland
Account Manager
1800-341-5480 x2136

"worth wild"???
      11-13-2018, 10:47 PM   #10
maduroz
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TreDirtyFive View Post
"worth wild"???
Lol. Maybe they meant more cost effective for DINAN. It just seems odd all around that they scrap the Stage 1 and now come out with this V2.

These are the things that happen when you are now owned by a large conglomerate. Money meaning profits becomes the number one goal.

I also find it interesting there is no information about what this tune is supposed to be. No news or press release, nothing.

Thanks for posting your response. I appreciate it.
Appreciate 0
      11-13-2018, 11:03 PM   #11
chenry
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMWs

I sincerely don't mean to be inflammatory- but why would someone go for a piggyback at this price point with the flashes that are rolling out? Especially if you are limited to 91 gas (like me)
Appreciate 0
      11-14-2018, 10:47 AM   #12
CapitaineBeaver
Private
Canada
Rep
Drives: 230i xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by chenry View Post
I sincerely don't mean to be inflammatory- but why would someone go for a piggyback at this price point with the flashes that are rolling out? Especially if you are limited to 91 gas (like me)
The People who value Dinan Warranty probably ! But at this point flash tunes and other piggyback are way cheaper and better options right now.
      11-14-2018, 01:20 PM   #13
maduroz
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by CapitaineBeaver View Post
The People who value Dinan Warranty probably ! But at this point flash tunes and other piggyback are way cheaper and better options right now.
It wasn’t so much that as it was my car is a daily driver and I got it March 2017 and there weren’t a lot of good solutions at the time and the things that were out were problematic.

I wanted more power now and didn’t want problems or to wait so I got the DINAN. I had it in my e90 335i and loved that it was a trouble free tune and the warranty for that car and it made decent power. So I thought it would be a good choice for my 340i and it has been but I want more power and instead of getting rid of it would rather tier up as I pay the cost difference between the two tunes.

It’s also a lease so the warranty does help but it’s not why I got it. The only problem I had was not using high enough octane fuel. Now I use 93 w/10% ethanol or run that with 2 or so gallons of e85 on top and it runs very strong and smooth.

But to your point, yes now there are many more solid options so I don’t know if I would go this route now. And I would always rather have a flash than a piggyback. Maybe I’ll get the right car next time instead of trying to make this into what I really want which is a M2C or M3.
Appreciate 0
      11-14-2018, 01:38 PM   #14
marcthedark
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M240i xdrive Convertible

Quote:
It wasn’t so much that as it was my car is a daily driver and I got it March 2017 and there weren’t a lot of good solutions at the time and the things that were out were problematic.

I wanted more power now and didn’t want problems or to wait so I got the DINAN. I had it in my e90 335i and loved that it was a trouble free tune and the warranty for that car and it made decent power. So I thought it would be a good choice for my 340i and it has been but I want more power and instead of getting rid of it would rather tier up as I pay the cost difference between the two tunes.

It’s also a lease so the warranty does help but it’s not why I got it. The only problem I had was not using high enough octane fuel. Now I use 93 w/10% ethanol or run that with 2 or so gallons of e85 on top and it runs very strong and smooth.

But to your point, yes now there are many more solid options so I don’t know if I would go this route now. And I would always rather have a flash than a piggyback. Maybe I’ll get the right car next time instead of trying to make this into what I really want which is a M2C or M3.
I read a lot about people having CEL with Dinan so the piggy back doesn't seem to be really working as desired (especially as they now stopped it) and with a solution for all the US it should not be needed to use 93 or even add E85 for it to be smooth.
They wanted to give you a premium solution to a premium price but it turned out to be in the beta stage ....
Appreciate 0
      11-14-2018, 01:59 PM   #15
maduroz
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by marcthedark View Post
I read a lot about people having CEL with Dinan so the piggy back doesn't seem to be really working as desired (especially as they now stopped it) and with a solution for all the US it should not be needed to use 93 or even add E85 for it to be smooth.
They wanted to give you a premium solution to a premium price but it turned out to be in the beta stage ....
Maybe... it wasn’t in the beta stage when I got it, as far as I know and with it stacked on top of the MPPSK, I guess I thought I was going to get bigger results. It only added a little.

I think with any tune the higher octane you can run the better the power. If it’s pullling timing and higher octane fuel solves that it seems to me that higher octane fuel was needed. I was running 91 octane with no ethanol which was stupid on my part. Maybe it would run fine on 91 w/10% ethanol, IDK as 93 is readily available and I do the e85 here and there for the hell of it, not because I have to.

Maybe I should ask them to switch it for the new one and see how that works. I haven’t had any CEL issue with it.
Appreciate 0
      11-14-2018, 02:05 PM   #16
LJA2
Rep
Drives: 2017 M240i

Caught in the middle

Same problem. Two weeks ago I called the local installer to ask about the Dinan Stage 1Tuner for my M240. I called back today to schedule and that product was no longer available but instead the Elite V2. I’m not a big car guy but I noticed the significantly lower power numbers with the new product and was a bit disappointed. Called Dinan and they said say same thing as noted above - power delivery is smoother. But as I look at power charts I’m getting even more skeptical; looks like new product is inferior. Scheduled the install for Monday of next week but I’m now reconsidering. Thoughts? ps first time posting
Appreciate 0
      11-14-2018, 04:08 PM   #17
maduroz
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by LJA2 View Post
Same problem. Two weeks ago I called the local installer to ask about the Dinan Stage 1Tuner for my M240. I called back today to schedule and that product was no longer available but instead the Elite V2. I’m not a big car guy but I noticed the significantly lower power numbers with the new product and was a bit disappointed. Called Dinan and they said say same thing as noted above - power delivery is smoother. But as I look at power charts I’m getting even more skeptical; looks like new product is inferior. Scheduled the install for Monday of next week but I’m now reconsidering. Thoughts? ps first time posting
You could get it installed and if you do not like it, you have 3 days to return it. I’m pretty sure that’s the case but ask Dinan or check on their website.

Otherwise I don’t know what they are doing and why the Stage 2 isn’t out yet. And you can still buy the Stage 1 Elite through places like ECS and X-PH.
Appreciate 0
      11-14-2018, 06:34 PM   #18
maduroz
Private
Rep

If anyone with an MPPSK equipped 340i tries out the V2 please post your experience. Especially if you had or had driven one with the Stage 1 Elite. I would love to know the difference between the two.
Appreciate 0
      11-14-2018, 08:48 PM   #19
ScubaJ813
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2018 440i Xdrive Convertible

All I have to say is Stage 2 better work with the V1 version whenever it gets released.

I have Elite V1 and been solid, I am very happy with it. However the Dinan/BMW dealer near me had enough problems with Dinan they froze all orders and refused any new ones until Dinan fixed their problems... I have a feeling V2 is related to that.

Also, their response on upselling V2 sounds lack luster. It's less power overall and fixes some of their problems on V1... but they have to upsell the change somehow. I honestly wouldn't buy the V2 until Stage 2 is released...
Appreciate 0
      11-14-2018, 09:15 PM   #20
maduroz
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScubaJ813 View Post
All I have to say is Stage 2 better work with the V1 version whenever it gets released.

I have Elite V1 and been solid, I am very happy with it. However the Dinan/BMW dealer near me had enough problems with Dinan they froze all orders and refused any new ones until Dinan fixed their problems... I have a feeling V2 is related to that.

Also, their response on upselling V2 sounds lack luster. It's less power overall and fixes some of their problems on V1... but they have to upsell the change somehow. I honestly wouldn't buy the V2 until Stage 2 is released...
I agree with everything you said. My dealer who was a Dinan installer did the same thing because of the issues they had. I was told it was mainly with the 5 series. Now they will only install hard parts.

And yes Stage 2 better work with our Stage 1 tunes.
Appreciate 1
      11-16-2018, 01:11 AM   #21
GF
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: '18 340i xdrive MT +M perf 1+2

Here's some more info from Dinan about the Elite V2

Hey Gregory,

The way you can look at this, is as follows:

The 340 with the MPPSK package on it is the same as a M240. We list power figures as this for the two:
340i: 396 @ 6500 RPM; M240: 418 @ 6500 RPM HP
340i: 379 @ 4500 RPM; M240: 434 @ 3000 RPM TQ

As you can see the M240 with the same motor makes more HP and TQ because of the tune BMW has on the car from the factory. You can expect your car with the MPPSK to make roughly the same as a M240i. Yes the power delivery is less than what the V1 offered, but the price reflects the drop in power, and from people testing the two different versions they didn't notice the loss in power.

While we are working on flash tuning, there is no plan release date to share currently.

Thanks,

Grant Efland
Account Manager
1800-341-5480 x2136

ey Gregory,

While you can turn off the Elite, it is done through a physical bypass plug.

There is no app for the Elite.

Fuel economy is generally the same as long as you are not in boost. The more boost you are in the more fuel you use the worse your fuel economy gets. At standard highway speeds you should see no difference as you sit in vacuum.

As far as I know BMW clutches are pretty good for power and don't really have an issue holding more power, however I haven't done much looking on the forums for how much TQ they can hold.

Thanks,

Grant Efland
Account Manager
1800-341-5480 x2136

Appreciate 0
      11-16-2018, 09:18 AM   #22
maduroz
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by GF View Post
Here's some more info from Dinan about the Elite V2

Hey Gregory,

The way you can look at this, is as follows:

The 340 with the MPPSK package on it is the same as a M240. We list power figures as this for the two:
340i: 396 @ 6500 RPM; M240: 418 @ 6500 RPM HP
340i: 379 @ 4500 RPM; M240: 434 @ 3000 RPM TQ

As you can see the M240 with the same motor makes more HP and TQ because of the tune BMW has on the car from the factory. You can expect your car with the MPPSK to make roughly the same as a M240i. Yes the power delivery is less than what the V1 offered, but the price reflects the drop in power, and from people testing the two different versions they didn't notice the loss in power.

While we are working on flash tuning, there is no plan release date to share currently.

Thanks,

Grant Efland
Account Manager
1800-341-5480 x2136

ey Gregory,

While you can turn off the Elite, it is done through a physical bypass plug.

There is no app for the Elite.

Fuel economy is generally the same as long as you are not in boost. The more boost you are in the more fuel you use the worse your fuel economy gets. At standard highway speeds you should see no difference as you sit in vacuum.

As far as I know BMW clutches are pretty good for power and don't really have an issue holding more power, however I haven't done much looking on the forums for how much TQ they can hold.

Thanks,

Grant Efland
Account Manager
1800-341-5480 x2136

So if Stage 2 is going to be a flash tune does that mean we have to try to sell these piggybacks? If so I wish they would have just did it right the first time and took the time to do a flash from the beginning. That probably would have took to long though because at that time no one could crack the DME.

I wonder what price they will be at and with us that have the Stage 1 we should still get that price credited toward Stage 2 and pay the difference.

Maybe Stage 2 or V2 whatever they’re calling it now will be cheaper and they can actually pay us to install it because we have the more expensive model.
Appreciate 0